• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn and Peter Safran are the new co-CEOs of DC Studios

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The duo will report to David Zaslav and assume the titles of co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios.

James-Gunn-L-Peter-Safran-R-Split-Getty-H-2022.jpg

In a stunning turn of events, filmmaker James Gunn and producer Peter Safran have been tapped to lead DC’s film, TV and animation efforts as co-chairs and co-CEOs of DC Studios, a newly formed division at Warner Bros. that will replace DC Films.

The unprecedented move, in which a top director will assume a top executive post, marks the end of a months-long search by Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav to replace DC Films boss Walter Hamada, who departed the studio last week. That search had all of Hollywood guessing and playing executive bingo for who will get one of the most coveted — and challenging — jobs in town.

Gunn will focus on the creative side, while Safran will focus on the business and production side of things. Both are expected to continue to direct and produce projects, respectively. They will report directly to Zaslav, and work closely with Warners film bosses De Luca and Pamela Abdy. Sources say the deal runs four years and Gunn will be exclusive to DC. The goal is for them not just to be producers, but to truly function as execuctives even as Gunn will occasionally hone a movie.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

James Gunn is pretty tight with Matt Reeves, so The Batman universe will be fine.

Honestly that’s really the only part of this mess I care about, anyway, so I’m good.

FunkMiller

OK, so Joker 2 isn’t under Gunn and Safran, so Batman maybe/probably isn’t either.

Sounds like this is only the DCEU stuff? Makes sense, I guess?

Last edited:

ManaByte

OK, so Joker 2 isn’t under Gunn and Safran, so Batman maybe/probably isn’t either.

Sounds like this is only the DCEU stuff? Makes sense, I guess?

Only the interconnected stuff. The other stuff falls under WB. Which means JJ Abrams might still be making his Superman movie since they gave him $500M.

FunkMiller

Let’s hope Gunn and Safran can rein The Rock in a bit, so we get an actual, proper Superman film, and not whatever ego driven bullshit he wants.

ManaByte

Let’s hope Gunn and Safran can rein The Rock in a bit, so we get an actual, proper Superman film, and not whatever ego driven bullshit he wants.
I think they already have as they're already walking back the idea that the next thing is a Rock v Superman: Dawn of Ego thing.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Pretty telling about DC films they had to get someone from Marvel. I think Gunn is still a bit pissed when Disney allowed him to be cancelled.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would have never guessed in a million years that HBO get bought out and actually fixed. So much wasted money on the dc side of things.

Pejo

Cautiously optimistic with this. That pretty much ends Gunn's part 3 of Guardians though, no? Wonder who that will go to.

Anyways, I hope they re-evaluate this and make at least a split of 50/50 R rated to PG-13 movies.

MastaKiiLA

I don't know about Gunn the executive, but if he's half as good as Gunn the director, then this is great news. WBD put a scare in a lot of people the past few days, but this looks like they might actually have a plan.

Last edited:

wondermega

Haha, who would have guessed, getting canceled was probably the best thing to happen to this guy's career, ultimately. Looking forward to seeing what comes from all of this.

wondermega

Cautiously optimistic with this. That pretty much ends Gunn's part 3 of Guardians though, no? Wonder who that will go to.

Anyways, I hope they re-evaluate this and make at least a split of 50/50 R rated to PG-13 movies.
I think that was stated quite a while ago (GOTG3 was gonna be the end of his run on that). Which is fine, although admittedly those are among the best movies in the MCU (and honestly considering what the rest of that modern scene looks like, there's not much else over there that has really been interesting to me..) I'll look forward to that film, Suicide 2 & Peacemaker were fun to watch.

Top Bottom