• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Webb space telescope (JWST) launch scheduled for 24th of December.

Will JWST successfully deploy in space?

• Yes. Good chance it goes well.

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • No. I think something will fail. (no way to fix)

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Shepard.

Votes: 32 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kev Kev

giphy.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
So do we wait a month now and it has to put itself together? I.e. all the hard stuff done now or is there other deployment stuff to be done when it gets to L2?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It floating into space with the sun lighting up the solar panels and earth in the background was a stunning sight.

Aggelos

So do we wait a month now and it has to put itself together? I.e. all the hard stuff done now or is there other deployment stuff to be done when it gets to L2?

It'll enter unfolding/unwrapping procedures

"Starting 31 minutes after launch, and continuing for about 13 days, JWST will go through the process of deploying its solar array, antenna, sunshade, mirror, and arm.

Nearly a month after launch, a trajectory correction will be initiated to place JWST into a halo orbit at the L2 Lagrange point "

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It'll enter unfolding/unwrapping procedures

"Starting 31 minutes after launch, and continuing for about 13 days, JWST will go through the process of deploying its solar array, antenna, sunshade, mirror, and arm.

Nearly a month after launch, a trajectory correction will be initiated to place JWST into a halo orbit at the L2 Lagrange point "

And each one of those carries a risk of not working right?

Will we get a first picture pretty soon or is it one of those things where it takes a lot of photos then sends them slowly to earth and we stitch them all together?

Why wouldnt they put a few cameras on the Webb?
What is there to see ? What benefit would it have?
Put cameras on an expensive observatory for 0 contributions to any science.
This thing went through years of tests. It would be a damn shame if slapping on a few cameras just for the sake of a launch spectacle ends up fucking up the $10B observatory.

No need to add more complexity to already complex hardware just for the sake of creating spectacle for an online audience.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
What is there to see ? What benefit would it have?
Put cameras on an expensive observatory for 0 contributions to any science.
This thing went through years of tests. It would be a damn shame if slapping on a few cameras just for the sake of a launch spectacle ends up fucking up the $10B observatory.

No need to add more complexity to already complex hardware just for the sake of creating spectacle for an online audience.

True and maybe you don't see anything but darkness anyway.

Great launch and deployment so far, I tuned out after they confirmed system power up after the solar array deployed.

My kids were like "wtf are you watching" they didn't know anything about the launch. When Hubble went up in 90 that's all we heard about in school for like a week or more.

Now start showing me some cool shit!

Sakura

And each one of those carries a risk of not working right?

Will we get a first picture pretty soon or is it one of those things where it takes a lot of photos then sends them slowly to earth and we stitch them all together?
Just scroll down to:
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER LAUNCH, HOW LONG UNTIL THERE WILL BE DATA?

"After six months: Webb will begin its science mission and start to conduct routine science operations."

cormack12

Gold Member
Just scroll down to:
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER LAUNCH, HOW LONG UNTIL THERE WILL BE DATA?

"After six months: Webb will begin its science mission and start to conduct routine science operations."

news-aint-nobody-got-time-for-dat.gif

Top Bottom