• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Webb space telescope (JWST) launch scheduled for 24th of December.

Will JWST successfully deploy in space?

• Yes. Good chance it goes well.

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • No. I think something will fail. (no way to fix)

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Shepard.

Votes: 32 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManaByte

Breakthrough Starshot should launch in our lifetimes and bring back images and data from the Alpha Centauri system. Possibly life in that system, but who knows if it's intelligent.
Zoe Saldana Movie GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
Problem with those presentations are, they are completely focused on the people that work at it and really like a ton about it. For people randomly watching that just want to see some pictures its a endless cringe fest of bloated garbage that's just offputting.

They need to redo there livestream next time around. It's rough to watch and frankly i won't be watching the next one.
They could honestly learn a lot from some Youtubers out there who do a great job of talking in detail about these topics but still make the presentation interesting for people who are starting at square 0.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’m not convinced humanity will even get past the heliopause with manned space flight, let alone out into the actual galaxy. Partly due to the massive potential energy requirements and cost, partly due to the fact we’ll probably blow ourselves up before then.

As it stands now, you're possibly correct.

However, let's say for example that all nations on the planet started to cooperate tomorrow. They decide to all trust each other and massively reduce they spend on defense budgets. Instead, they all shared resources, technology and research with the common goal of advancing humanity. How long then do you think it would take us to leave our system?

I know it's a silly and unrealistic concept, but the point is that we're being held back because we distrust each other and blow insane amounts of money on defence and pointless wars. Eradicate that hurdle and what would our potential be?

MastaKiiLA

It's all amazing. I have to say, JWST has not disappointed. As an opening taster, this is fantastic. With all due respect to Hubble, these images just look so much cleaner. And this is without a massive angular resolution advantage, due to the wavelengths it works at. Amazing. Depending on how far JWST really lets us see into the past, LUVOIR might make sense as the next big space telescope project. That would probably span the same wavelengths as Hubble, but annihilate it in resolution. The composite images that could be generated from JWST and LUVOIR is mouth-watering.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Makes you realize how small and insignificant the human race is compared to the vastness of space.
It's a weird period to be alive and cognizant. You know you are inconsequential to the universe and there's nothing that can be done in your lifetime to change that. Life really is about the next generation.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbh I was hoping for something more, prob hyped myself up too much expecting to see something we had never seen before, those shots look no different to the ones that Hubble has produced (obvs I know the differences) and I'm sure the actual science is magnitudes better but man I was just hoping for something truly unique other than the usual "here's a point of space with tons of galaxies" only sharper or "here's a pretty nebula" only sharper... I dunno, I wanted to see a Dyson Sphere or somit

Razorback

Tbh I was hoping for something more, prob hyped myself up too much expecting to see something we had never seen before, those shots look no different to the ones that Hubble has produced (obvs I know the differences) and I'm sure the actual science is magnitudes better but man I was just hoping for something truly unique other than the usual "here's a point of space with tons of galaxies" only sharper or "here's a pretty nebula" only sharper... I dunno, I wanted to see a Dyson Sphere or somit

Pretty reasonable expectation there. Personally I wanted a picture of God.

Sakura

To be 100% honest, the only thing I care about is getting info about some exoplanets.

RAÏSanÏa

It takes only a bit of learning and familiarity with what is being looked at to get more or an appreciation.

The comparisons with Hubble help get an idea of how much deeper into the red shift and sharper these images are.

Comparing how SMACS looked previously with Hubble and comparing that to Hubble's image of Earendel and what is know about that star's galaxy can give some idea to the amateur of what is being looked at in this detail from JWST SMACS first deep field.
dotpO6C.png

I tried to create a simple spreadsheet to determine time and it crashed my PC.

We aren't ready but goddamn this is cool as shit ain't it?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
To be 100% honest, the only thing I care about is getting info about some exoplanets.
I'm the same, the distant galaxies I could care less about, tell me about the known exo planets, is the atmosphere breathable, do we know if the makeup is purely biological or is a planet going through an industrial age etc etc hell or we even able to tell these things?

Deep looks into early galaxy formation is only really interesting for the science geeks tbh

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Could someone post this please without Twitter? I don’t use it and when I click on the link it wants me to sign up. Thank you.

EDIT: the second picture.

Last edited:

sono

I am looking forward to jw intensely studying “nearby” exoplanets in the Goldilocks zone.
Makes you realize how small and insignificant the human race is compared to the vastness of space
I used to think that but in all this time we have not found a single shred of evidence of life anywhere. Imagine how big and important we are in that context..

MikeM

I am looking forward to jw intensely studying “nearby” exoplanets in the Goldilocks zone.

I used to think that but in all this time we have not found a single shred of evidence of life anywhere. Imagine how big and important we are in that context..
In all fairness, we have made the equivalent of exiting our home and onto our doorstep in terms of space exploration. Space is too vast to not have life elsewhere.

FunkMiller

The amount of space we’ve been able to explore and catalogue in any manner is so infinitesimally small that we may as well have not explored any of it. Kinda like deciding there’s no life on earth from looking a single blade of grass.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
How close are we from discovering alien life, travelling to those planets and banging alien women? I mean that’s what science is all about.

Aggelos

How close are we from discovering alien life, travelling to those planets and banging alien women? I mean that’s what science is all about.

Highly unlikely to happen in this century and even the next one, since traveling to another star system is quite a tall order (esp. if you want to put life on the traveling vessel and make sure the offsprings will reach the destination).
So we're not even close, and that means we will continue banging earthlings for quite a while.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Everything I’ve seen so far has been underwhelming to me. It’s like Hubble but quicker, I dunno.
Same, Hubble showed us trillions of galaxies. That changes your entire viewpoint on things outside our domain of knowledge and human existence.
I was expecting James Webb to show us early universes like a torn realm beyond things created (a white universe) or Chutulu or something, but it was meh. Doesn't have the initial impact. Just going from 1080p to 4K.

RAÏSanÏa

Neptune.

Proteus!

This is a theme for muted coronets
To dangle from debilitated heads
Of navigation, kings, or riverbeds
That rot or rise what time the seamew sets
Her course by stars among the smoky tides
Entangled. Old saltencrusted Proteus treads
Once more the watery shore that water weds
While rocking fathom bell rings round and rides.

Now when the blind king of the water thinks
The sharp hail of the salt out of his eyes
To abdicate, run thou, O Prince, and fall
Upon him. This cracked walrus skin that stinks
Of the rank sweat of a mermaid's thighs
Cast off, and nab him; when you have him, call.

- A.J.M. Smith

jason10mm

Gold Member
How.much money would Marvel have to pay for NASA to agree to a viral marketing campaign where they discretely insert increasing larger images of Galactus into all of Webbs images? :p

Top Bottom