• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Webb space telescope (JWST) launch scheduled for 24th of December.

Will JWST successfully deploy in space?

• Yes. Good chance it goes well.

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • No. I think something will fail. (no way to fix)

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Shepard.

Votes: 32 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MastaKiiLA

Yup it's here

I love that you can get a sense of the frequencies both telescopes work best in. The Hubble image shows only the hot, blue stars in the background. But with Webb, we can see all the cooler yellow and red stars as well. Phenomenal stuff.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I think i prefer the Hubble one, looks more dramatic
More lens flares = more dramatic. JJ Abrams proved this years ago.
iu

Ecotic

I keep wondering why they haven't examined the atmospheres of the planets around TRAPPIST-1 yet. I thought it was going to be a high priority since calculating the probability of extraterrestrial life depends greatly on knowing whether red dwarves are too violent for their planets to sustain an atmosphere. Three quarters of stars are red dwarves, and if they can't sustain life then that means life is likely limited to less numerous and much shorter-lived stars like ours.

I keep wondering why they haven't examined the atmospheres of the planets around TRAPPIST-1 yet. I thought it was going to be a high priority since calculating the probability of extraterrestrial life depends greatly on knowing whether red dwarves are too violent for their planets to sustain an atmosphere. Three quarters of stars are red dwarves, and if they can't sustain life then that means life is likely limited to less numerous and much shorter-lived stars like ours.

They already have.

The FB group I'm part of sent me a link to the data set they've uploaded from their findings on Trappist 1 and there's a shit ton of data dude. Like fuck, these guys will take weeks if not months to go through it all.
So I wouldn't expect an official Webb press release on Trappist 1 for at least a month or more.

Last edited:
That is fucking beautiful OMG.

Can't wait for exoplanet news tho. When will we see Trappist-1 images? ,_,

Likely when they've had enough time to comb through the mountain of data they're sitting on. They wouldn't just want to reveal the images but also spectra of what they've managed to capture.
I think observations on Trappist 1 have completed a while ago now.
I just can't find that direct link to the Trappist 1 data in Facebook. It was sent to me by one of the group members. If I find it, I will share it here.

Last edited:

Go here:
https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast/Portal.html

- Click advanced search,
- Enter 'JWST' in mission,
- Enter 2MASS J23062928-0502285 in target... search and the 68 packets of Trappist 1 data will appear.

The spreadsheets of data are being analysed and cross analysed by multiple labs, science teams and independent scientists.

It's not all spreadsheets either, there's some images, csv files that can be graphed.

ilc3dp4r7nc91.jpg

Linky suace:
Trappist-1 niriss image and spectra

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Can galaxies "die?" What is the lifespan of a galaxy?

How far away is 400 million years after the big bang

Not to be a dick, but I'd rather discuss it here.

I literally copy/pasted your questions into google search and found the answers to both questions you had in all of 10 seconds

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But yeah if you want to wait for someone to tell you the same thing here (which they will 100% get from the same google search), be my guest.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It's not about the answers, it's about the interaction! That way when someone tells me those facts I could have gotten from google, I can post a reply "Man, that's pretty dope.". And then the person who copy/ pasted the answers can feel good about themselves because they get to feel smart. And i get to pretend I interacted with a human being

It's not about the answers, it's about the interaction! That way when someone tells me those facts I could have gotten from google, I can post a reply "Man, that's pretty dope.". And then the person who copy/ pasted the answers can feel good about themselves because they get to feel smart. And i get to pretend I interacted with a human being

You can interact with google if you want. That way Google and the articles on the subject matter written by the professionals in their field can provide you with more than just the answer you were looking for.

I doubt anyone on this forum will be able to provide you with an in depth answer to a question like what you have. Like I said, the folks on here would just be giving you google answers anyways lol but whatever.

FOUR signs of alien life that JWST is searching for - HOW, WHEN AND WHERE?!​

In light of recent updates on JWST currently observing the Trappist 1 system of planets, Dr Becky has released this video to explain how JWST might be searching for signs of alien life.

sono

FOUR signs of alien life that JWST is searching for - HOW, WHEN AND WHERE?!
I have read that sentence a few times and it still doesn't make sense.. what four signs ..is the the tense current future or past ?. what is the subject of how when and where ?
Do I need to watch the video to literally understand the title. Generally I like to decide if I watch a video from the title first

Unfortunately, i believe that the trappist 1 system will be just a bunch of venuses at the front, and fridgid airless ice balls at the back

I have read that sentence a few times and it still doesn't make sense.. what four signs ..is the the tense current future or past ?. what is the subject of how when and where ?
Do I need to watch the video to literally understand the title. Generally I like to decide if I watch a video from the title first

The four signs are literally right there in the thumbnail picture numbered 1) 2) 3) and 4)

1) oxygen and ozone
2) phosphine and ammonia
3) methane and carbon dioxide
4) unexpected molecule combination

And its listed like that just 0:29 seconds into the video and each point is discussed and explained in great detail.

Top Bottom