• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Webb space telescope (JWST) launch scheduled for 24th of December.

Will JWST successfully deploy in space?

• Yes. Good chance it goes well.

Votes: 123 74.1%
  • No. I think something will fail. (no way to fix)

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Shepard.

Votes: 32 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
i gotta admit i aint feeling these James Webb shots, yes they look great but we've seen them all a million times before from the Hubble, yes never with this much clarity but c'mon man i was hoping for new discoveries, exo planet atmospheres, a dyson sphere!! anything but oooh more pretty nebulaes...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
i gotta admit i aint feeling these James Webb shots, yes they look great but we've seen them all a million times before from the Hubble, yes never with this much clarity but c'mon man i was hoping for new discoveries, exo planet atmospheres, a dyson sphere!! anything but oooh more pretty nebulaes...

I don't know why these bastards aren't pointing the thing to tabbys star.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The four signs are literally right there in the thumbnail picture numbered 1) 2) 3) and 4)

1) oxygen and ozone
2) phosphine and ammonia
3) methane and carbon dioxide
4) unexpected molecule combination

And its listed like that just 0:29 seconds into the video and each point is discussed and explained in great detail.

If JWST finds it they better keep the planet secret or else I can see idiots trying to communicate with the aliens…

Not just clarity but the ability to peer into the dust clouds to witness first hand how stars are born.

- Discoveries take time as the data needs to be carefully analyzed before they're revealed.
- There's a whole bunch of scientist vying for telescope time to study exoplanets, so again it will take time for everyone to comb through the data.
- Dyson sphere? Is that even a real object? I'd rather them study real things like black holes or neutron stars. Anything to better understand gravity and its influence on space time instead of wasting telescope time (which is limited because the observatory only has over a decade's worth of fuel) hunting for hypothetical objects like a dyson sphere.

The James Webb Space Telescope has captured the first direct image of a distant exoplanet, a world beyond our Solar System

STSCI-J-p2022-HIP65426b-f-1528x1130-1%20(1).png

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A billion lightyears is unfathomable. Space if so crazy to me. What the fuck even is reality?

It's insane. The observable universe is around 93 billion light years. That's just the observable universe. It could well be much bigger.

My head swells from thinking about what's out there that we haven't discovered.

If you also believe in the possible multiverse, then there could be multiple number of universes, maybe an infinite amount of them.

🤯⚰️

PUNKem733

Not just clarity but the ability to peer into the dust clouds to witness first hand how stars are born.

- Discoveries take time as the data needs to be carefully analyzed before they're revealed.
- There's a whole bunch of scientist vying for telescope time to study exoplanets, so again it will take time for everyone to comb through the data.
- Dyson sphere? Is that even a real object? I'd rather them study real things like black holes or neutron stars. Anything to better understand gravity and its influence on space time instead of wasting telescope time (which is limited because the observatory only has over a decade's worth of fuel) hunting for hypothetical objects like a dyson sphere.

Nasa said that the launch was so efficient, Webb didn't need to use as much fuel to right itself into orbit and that they have closer to 20 years of fuel now.

It's insane. The observable universe is around 93 billion light years. That's just the observable universe. It could well be much bigger.

My head swells from thinking about what's out there that we haven't discovered.

If you also believe in the possible multiverse, then there could be multiple number of universes, maybe an infinite amount of them.

🤯⚰️

A scientist proposed that the ENTIRE universe is 150 SEXTILLION times bigger then the known universe.

sono

A scientist proposed that the ENTIRE universe is 150 SEXTILLION times bigger then the known universe.
Unfortunately I have a low opinion of sound bites like this what can we practically do with this information except go ooh ahh wow. Then what?

Back to practicalities.. Where are the results of studies of planets in the Goldilocks zone JWST?

If it is just us it seems like an awful waste of space.

Chronicle

A billion lightyears is unfathomable. Space if so crazy to me. What the fuck even is reality?
Reality, conciousness, cognition etc is a gift from what most of us choose to call God. Be grateful today because there are trillions of others who will never experience this bizarre thing we refer to as life.

nkarafo

Maybe i'm just a normie but i'm still waiting to see the images of how the universe came to be. Isn't this telescope up to snuff? Maybe that would answer some age old questions like how space, time and matter came to be. It would be nice if i could get some answers in my lifetime because all this is so bizarre and illogical.

Reality, conciousness, cognition etc is a gift from what most of us choose to call God. Be grateful today because there are trillions of others who will never experience this bizarre thing we refer to as life.

Atheist here, why would i be grateful when all my experiences and memories will completely vanish soon enough anyway? The point of an "experience" is that you remember it. Sure, a lot of good things in life don't last but at least you do remember them afterwards, that's what makes them valuable. If you don't remember them then what's the point? Just the temporary dopamine rush?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Maybe i'm just a normie but i'm still waiting to see the images of how the universe came to be. Isn't this telescope up to snuff? Maybe that would answer some age old questions like how space, time and matter came to be. It would be nice if i could get some answers in my lifetime because all this is so bizarre and illogical.

I'm not sure when humanity will answer these questions. Like you, I want to know how existence started, but just the thought of it melts my mind.

I've always been interested in the multiverse theory, which is in a nutshell that our universe is just one of many. However, it raises further questions such as if there are many universes then there had to be a start. There had to be an original or a genesis universe. If so then what started that? What was there before that process started. Was there anything at all.

Is it too early in the morning for this? Probably.

Atheist here, why would i be grateful when all my experiences and memories will completely vanish soon enough anyway?

This isn't a religious point of view, but will our memories vanish when we die? Information cannot be deleted and our memories are information. In which case, what happens to our memories after we're gone? The information that make them cannot just vanish to nothing as that doesn't make sense.

Chronicle

Atheist here, why would i be grateful when all my experiences and memories will completely vanish soon enough anyway? The point of an "experience" is that you remember it. Sure, a lot of good things in life don't last but at least you do remember them afterwards, that's what makes them valuable. If you don't remember them then what's the point? Just the temporary dopamine rush?
The fact that you remember now proves an afterlife. If you don't remember life would already be over. Much like being knocked out.

What does it matter if your an atheist or not. 'All your experiences and memories will vanish' you say. Well all the more reason yo be grateful today.

Tams

Gold Member

No need to be concerned about things that will never be. What a bizarre hole to dig yourself.

It's not a gift. What utter drivvle. We just are, and that's that. And the only ones that ultimately matter are those alive with us, with a helping of those we will exist near our deaths, not that we'll be around to care for the latter.

Now, can we get back to science and on being on topic?

nkarafo

This isn't a religious point of view, but will our memories vanish when we die? Information cannot be deleted and our memories are information. In which case, what happens to our memories after we're gone? The information that make them cannot just vanish to nothing as that doesn't make sense.

Memory is just a brain cell configuration. The matter of the brain cells won't stop existing but the configuration they form will no longer exist, thus those memories will fade.

I mean, the brain messing up the configuration and losing memories is something that even happens to people who are alive, let alone dead.

RAÏSanÏa

Webb was reported to be scheduled to study Fomulhaut in the first year. Must be quite the thing if it hasn't been updated yet.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

Unfortunately I have a low opinion of sound bites like this what can we practically do with this information except go ooh ahh wow. Then what?

Back to practicalities.. Where are the results of studies of planets in the Goldilocks zone JWST?

If it is just us it seems like an awful waste of space.
Sound bite ROFL Guy does this work for a living his name is Dr Alan Guth a physicist not a teenager on twitch. Then what? It's outer space, what the fuck does then what mean?

sono

Sound bite ROFL Guy does this work for a living his name is Dr Alan Guth a physicist not a teenager on twitch. Then what? It's outer space, what the fuck does then what mean?

Chill you seem to have missed my point of view

Knowing that space is really really big or really really really big is of little importance to the really important question as to whether planet earth is alone in the universe in having life, intelligent or otherwise. So far we have found.. nothing.

If we find evidence elsewhere we can spend resources investigating that further before we run out of resources on the one place we know that life does exist.

No amount if PhDs changes this statement of fact.

PUNKem733

Chill you seem to have missed my point of view

Knowing that space is really really big or really really really big is of little importance to the really important question as to whether planet earth is alone in the universe in having life, intelligent or otherwise. So far we have found.. nothing.

If we find evidence elsewhere we can spend resources investigating that further before we run out of resources on the one place we know that life does exist.

No amount if PhDs changes this statement of fact.

There are more stars then grains of sand on Earth, imagine how many planets there are orbiting these stars (Not ever star of course), so there are more planets then even stars the odds we are the only life forms in the universe is ridiculous. Having said that if we do find something it's more than likely gonna be some light years away so unless there is a major breakthrough with wormhole traveling or some such shit, we're never gonna contact them.

The capabilities of this telescope are like when you're a kid and sending secrets with magic markers and a black light. Gotta love it.

sono

so unless there is a major breakthrough with wormhole traveling or some such shit, we're never gonna contact them
Exactly why we should focus on our neighbourhood and why looking at galaxies millions of light years away is pointless not only because of distance but also time the images are so old they are not like that today 150sextillion times bigger isn’t important

Last edited:

Biff

I'm sorry but WHAT?

JWST detected water? Dafuq?

Was this huge news when it was detected? I did not hear of this whatsoever.

Doesn't this extremely increase the likelihood of alien life? Or is this some bullshit like "we detected water**********" and then there are a dozen caveats for why it's only a 10% chance of actually being water.

Bragr

Banned
I'm sorry but WHAT?

JWST detected water? Dafuq?

Was this huge news when it was detected? I did not hear of this whatsoever.

Doesn't this extremely increase the likelihood of alien life? Or is this some bullshit like "we detected water**********" and then there are a dozen caveats for why it's only a 10% chance of actually being water.
They detected water in the atmosphere. They are gonna find that a lot in the future. We have no idea what that means for alien life, we only know what that means on Earth.

Lasha

Exactly why we should focus on our neighbourhood and why looking at galaxies millions of light years away is pointless not only because of distance but also time the images are so old they are not like that today 150sextillion times bigger isn’t important

Studying far away galaxies helps cosmologists build their understanding of how the universe began and how it functions.

Top Bottom