• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan 2022 top selling software and hardware(Famitsu)

Fredrik

Another thread about consoles sales and once again some people get pissy when they see Switch selling well.

some just can’t get over it.
Right now I’m more fascinated by the elephant in the room when looking at game sales top lists with the * at the end of every Nintendo game.
*digital purchases not included
People have explained that it’s not easy to fix but I just can’t get it out of my head. For all we know Switch games could be at the top of all list in all regions in all months. Switch is a historical juggernaught!

yurinka

Worldwide hardware figures for 2022 will have Switch and PS5 selling very similar hardware numbers. Being that Japan is one of the top countries for both, would you expect the 2022 hardware sales there to be somewhat representative of this?
Hardware is different because it has been heavily supply constrained for PS4 and PS5 in recent years and they couldn't met their demand, and Sony focused their limited supplies to their main markets (EU and NA).

Once they really get rid of chips shortages and can manufacture and supply enough consoles to satisfy the demand yes, I think Japan will be more representative than it is now and that PS hardware sales will be above Switch both in Japan and worldwide. But I see it happening for 2023, not for 2022 because the chips shortage affected them basically the whole year and still can't match the demand.

In the software side, more console sales will mean more games sold and more PS+ subbers, meaning PS will increase their distance vs Switch in total and 3rd party software game units sold, subscribers and software revenue.

The CESA data shows that on average 35.4% of PS4's software sales came from digital, and 64.6% came from retail. For Switch, 24% of software sales came from digital, and 76% came from retail. So retail is not a minority of total game sales, but instead a large majority of total game sales.
This data is interesting. Source, please? A CESA report would be a legit source, but these numbers seem too different compared to the worldwide numbers reported by Nintendo and Sony, or to the recent European console market percentage we recently saw. It would make sense to see more similar percentages to worldwide numbers reported to Sony and Nintendo, or even higher, specially knowing that in Japan mobile always have been more popular than in the west, I assume that due to small space available at home and long commutes (reasons that would also explain higher Japanese hither preference for handhelds than western countries).

When third party software sales in Japan favour Switch, and we have no idea which platform generates more IAP/DLC revenue for third parties in Japan, we cannot say that it is very difficult to think that Switch would lead in overall third party revenue generated. None of the Japan data we have backs that up.
You mean 'when a portion of the retail game sales'. We don't have the full game sales for Japan or even the complete retail ones, we don't have the software revenue for Japan and we don't have the 1st/3rd party split for Japan. We can only speculate.

Hardware is different because it has been heavily supply constrained for PS4 and PS5 in recent years and they couldn't met their demand, and Sony focused their limited supplies to their main markets (EU and NA).

Once they really get rid of chips shortages and can manufacture and supply enough consoles to satisfy the demand yes, I think Japan will be more representative than it is now and that PS hardware sales will be above Switch both in Japan and worldwide.

Tell me, seriously, have you have been smoking crack?

Kids in Japan literally don't know what a PS5 is. You need to come here and see the lack of POS sony has in major stores and really get a real picture of what Sony is up against.
In contrast to the PS4, the PS5 has had zero buzz. It is in a worse state than the Wii U was in.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Wtf? I thought Xbox outpaced PS5 in Japan according to some random post and according to Lie Spencer. Also I thought that Xbox would show some love for Japanese gamers etc.
Also, Nintendo plays alone in Japan, like, there’s no competition for them there. Lol. 😂

Woopah

Once they really get rid of chips shortages and can manufacture and supply enough consoles to satisfy the demand yes, I think Japan will be more representative than it is now and that PS hardware sales will be above Switch both in Japan and worldwide. But I see it happening for 2023, not for 2022 because the chips shortage affected them basically the whole year and still can't match the demand.

PS5 will probably pass Switch in worldwide sales in 2023, but it is very unlikely to do it in Japan until the Switch 2 is out. In 2023, if PS5 in Japan can sell half of what Switch sells in Japan, that would be a great result for Sony.

This data is interesting. Source, please? A CESA report would be a legit source, but these numbers seem too different compared to the worldwide numbers reported by Nintendo and Sony, or to the recent European console market percentage we recently saw. It would make sense to see more similar percentages to worldwide numbers reported to Sony and Nintendo, or even higher, specially knowing that in Japan mobile always have been more popular than in the west, I assume that due to small space available at home and long commutes (reasons that would also explain higher Japanese hither preference for handhelds than western countries).

Hisas-kun posted them on installbase here.

But lets say that CESA is wrong and you are right, and Japan does have similar digital ratios to worldwide (around 80% for PS, 40% for Switch I believe, but happy to be corrected here). Even then, Switch would still lead in third party sales for 2021.

You mean 'when a portion of the retail game sales'. We don't have the full game sales for Japan or even the complete retail ones, we don't have the software revenue for Japan and we don't have the 1st/3rd party split for Japan. We can only speculate

Also found another useful thing in that intallbase thread from PillFencer that the Media Create numbers I showed earlier are not based on the top 1,000 but the whole market.

We can't be fully 100% sure (afterall, the Media Create data itself is an estimate) but there are 0 signs that make it very difficult to believe that Switch currently has higher third party sofltware sales than PS in Japan.

Having said that, I do think it is possible for PS to lead Switch in third party sales for 2023. PS could have FFXVI and FFVIIR2 in this calendar year, and so far nothing announed for Switch would be that big. We'd need to wait until the first Direct to have a better idea. I think a lot will depend on what SE does with Dragon Quest this year.

Last edited:

yurinka

Tell me, seriously, have you have been smoking crack?

Kids in Japan literally don't know what a PS5 is. You need to come here and see the lack of POS sony has in major stores and really get a real picture of what Sony is up against.
In contrast to the PS4, the PS5 has had zero buzz. It is in a worse state than the Wii U was in.
I don't need to go to your mental hospital to know that you are wrong, that Japanese kids know what a PS5 is, that it didn't sell more due to lack of shipments, not due to lack of interest, that PS5 has nothing to do with WiiU in Japan and that obviously like in the rest of the world PS4 still keeps getting and selling games there.

Last edited:

yurinka

Hisas-kun posted them on installbase here.

But lets say that CESA is wrong and you are right, and Japan does have similar digital ratios to worldwide (around 80% for PS, 40% for Switch I believe, but happy to be corrected here). Even then, Switch would still lead in third party sales for 2021.

Also found another useful thing in that intallbase thread from PillFencer that the Media Create numbers I showed earlier are not based on the top 1,000 but the whole market.

We can't be fully 100% sure (afterall, the Media Create data itself is an estimate) but there are 0 signs that make it very difficult to believe that Switch currently has higher third party sofltware sales than PS in Japan.

Having said that, I do think it is possible for PS to lead Switch in third party sales for 2023. PS could have FFXVI and FFVIIR2 in this calendar year, and so far nothing announed for Switch would be that big. We'd need to wait until the first Direct to have a better idea. I think a lot will depend on what SE does with Dragon Quest this year.
Ok thanks, I had to create an user to view these posts. I'm awaiting for confirmation. Looking forward to see their source links. Saw that forums many times before but never had created an account.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I see why Sony has abandoned the market. Country has abysmal taste in games. Good lord.

They used to be at the forefront of innovation and graphical fidelity. Now its all handheld garbage and 2002 looking games.

Last edited:

Lasha

This is a really bad look for third parties too - the top selling non-Nintendo game on the Switch sold less than 350k. Meanwhile for Nintendo an 8 year old Wii U port that still costs like $40+ sold more than twice of that.

edit: OTHER than Minecraft, I always glance over Minecraft lol

I think Nintendo's success should be a reminder to third parties that games don't have to be disposable. Nintendo makes games good enough that people still buy them at full price years after release. Microsoft gives away its first party games, Sony games drop in price within 6 months or so, and one is better off waiting for any game to show up in a bundle for like a dollar.

C'mon now. No need for this huge exaggeration. The recent numbers don't show this and prove otherwise.
My 10-year-old literally asked me, "Daddy, what is a playstation?" last week. I told him it is this fake pc that poor people buy who want to play daddy's games.

PS consoles are barely selling software in Japan.. the supply issue is simply because they can still be sold to China for a profit, once that is over... the bare truth will reveal itself. The PS4 could barely shift 5-10K a week in its first 2 years in Japan and it was only after being discounted heavily that it did respectable numbers.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
My 10-year-old literally asked me, "Daddy, what is a playstation?" last week. I told him it is this fake pc that poor people buy who want to play daddy's games.

PS consoles are barely selling software in Japan.. the supply issue is simply because they can still be sold to China for a profit, once that is over... the bare truth will reveal itself. The PS4 could barely shift 5-10K a week in its first 2 years in Japan and it was only after being discounted heavily that it did respectable numbers.
Your 10 yr old isn't everyone. And no one said it's selling as much as Switch, but recently it's been selling well enough compared to the abysmal sales before. And you want to paint all those recent increased sales are for China? You got to show me receipts for that. You don't expect to throw that out there and people blindly take your word for it.

And how am I supposed to take you seriously with that response to your child?

lachesis

Well, I think Xbox passed 400k. Dismal as usual, but much better than Xbone days, and cheering them on.
And yes, it's true that some kids think Playstation is "Oyaji (old man)" thing in Japan, sadly.
Their business market is young adults - or trying to grab kids growing out of "Nintendo phase" - but it seems like they are not doing too well of job of capturing that market - as young people just either jump to mobile, and not everyone likes western games... - and those hardcores who do like western FPS or RPGs - just straight go to PC which they can use for other uses and all.

So current console, both for Xbox and Playstation - in Japan, is basically diluted its usefulness - and it's not a wonder why traditional console itself isn't selling too well.

Your 10 yr old isn't everyone. And no one said it's selling as much as Switch, but recently it's been selling well enough compared to the abysmal sales before. And you want to paint all those recent increased sales are for China? You got to show me receipts for that. You don't expect to throw that out there and people blindly take your word for it.

It was a joke... But seriously. How can we explain such low levels of software sales if 2.5 million PS5s are in Japan? The wii U had higher sales of software even when it had less hardware in people's hands.

Last edited:

Woopah

Ok thanks, I had to create an user to view these posts. I'm awaiting for confirmation. Looking forward to see their source links. Saw that forums many times before but never had created an account.
Ah yes sorry, I forgot you needed an account to see the posts. Its a good ide to have an account anyway since that forum has ppplenty of data and grpahs which are useulf for debates like the one we've been having :)

Hisas-kun doesn't share a link to the white paper since it is not public, but instead something that has to be bought.
I see why Sony has abandoned the market. Country has abysmal taste in games. Good lord.

They used to be at the forefront of innovation and graphical fidelity. Now its all handheld garbage and 2002 looking games.
Too mhc emphais is put on Sony "abandoning the market". Its more that the apprpoach and frnahcises which really helped drive PS4 in the West (Call of Duty, Ubisfot open world games, EA/2K sport games plus Sony's own first party offerings) weren't as effective in Japan. The stratgey Sony has now works really well for them, and I'm not sure that its worth changing it to grow in East Asia. Initiatives like the China Hero Project will help in that region though.

I think 2023 will be a very telling year for PS5. So far its software sales growth hasn't been offsetting the PS4 delcine, but that's probably becuase a lot of the games are cross gen. 2023 is looking to have several games availabe on PS5 and not PS4, and in Q1 especially the third party lineup is currently favouring the PS ecosystem over the Switch ecosystem. By the end of March we'll have a better idea of what to expect from PS in Japan going forward.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
2023 is looking to have several games availabe on PS5 and not PS4, and in Q1 especially the third party lineup is currently favouring the PS ecosystem over the Switch ecosystem
Even then I still don't expect it to sell anywhere near Switch numbers, even if it was the holiday season coming up.

Isn't Q1 usually slow for everyone anyway?

Woopah

Even then I still don't expect it to sell anywhere near Switch numbers, even if it was the holiday season coming up.

Isn't Q1 usually slow for everyone anyway?
Its not holiday big, but Q1 of the calendar year is also not one of the slow times. And in recent years its been when PlayStation's biggest third party titles of the year have released

2018 - Monster Hunter World
2019 - Kingdom Hearts 3
2020 - Originally FFVII Remake was here until it got moved to 10 April
2022 - Elden Ring

Now it obviously won't be the case this year, becuase FFXVI is coming later. But still Q1 2023 is a time with several third party games are arriving which are on PS but not Switch:
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Wild Hearts
  • Like a Dragon: Ishin!
  • Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
  • Forspoken
  • One Piece: Odyssey
So it will be a good barometer for how PS solftware sales are doing. We'll see how the PS5 exlcusives do, and what the balance is beteween the PS4 and PS5 version of other games.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Woopah

What happened to Monster Hunter Sunbreak not charting physically?!?
The Monster Hunter: Rise + Sunbreak Set was at 273.821 when we last saw it. Though of course its DLC so most sales will be digital.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was a joke... But seriously. How can we explain such low levels of software sales if 2.5 million PS5s are in Japan? The wii U had higher sales of software even when it had less hardware in people's hands.

The Last part is pure facts and what I think everything I see sales numbers for Japan.

They have not moved to digital that much but the software sales just don't add up. I don't know what is going on but something is.

Top Bottom