• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Approves Groundbreaking Experiment Bringing Human-Animal Hybrids to Term

bitbydeath

source.gif

Thurible

Really what is happening is that human stem cells will be inserted in animal embryos in the hopeful endeavor to grow human tissue and organs that can be safely transplanted into the future. Right now, monster men are not in the forseeable future.

However, this does raise some strong ethical concerns. Should this sort of activity be allowed? (even though hybrid creatures aren't truly being created, it is still putting in human cells in animals). Will it help people? Also, what could this lead to in the future?

Mohonky

Really what is happening is that human stem cells will be inserted in animal embryos in the hopeful endeavor to grow human tissue and organs that can be safely transplanted into the future. Right now, monster men are not in the forseeable future.

However, this does raise some strong ethical concerns. Should this sort of activity be allowed? (even though hybrid creatures aren't truly being created, it is still putting in human cells in animals). Will it help people? Also, what could this lead to in the future?

I dont see the ethical issue personally; they are trying to grow compatible organs to cover for the lack of availability of those waiting on transplant lists.

I suppose if you are concerned about the animal it will be harvested from, sure, but for those in need of a transplant, this could literally save a huge number of lives.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

It is only an ethical issue if you are an ethical person.

MFS699f.png

Thurible

I dont see the ethical issue personally; they are trying to grow compatible organs to cover for the lack of availability of those waiting on transplant lists.

I suppose if you are concerned about the animal it will be harvested from, sure, but for those in need of a transplant, this could literally save a huge number of lives.
Oh, personally I don't have much of a problem with messing with non-human organisms (for example, though not necessarily related, I think GMOs are a good thing as sometimes they can yield a greater harvest, utilize less resources, and have better nutritional value.).

What does concern me is utilizing human stem cells in non-human things, we are superior to animals and just breeding them to develop something human like our organs is a bit suspect. It sort of lowers the human body. Also, this could have an impact down the line on what we could do to unborn humans.

I have nothing on human gene therapy/editing or the utilization of stem cells. However it must be within ethical parameters. Never kill an unborn child, use only adult stem cells, only use such treatments for ailments and not modification, etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
However it must be within ethical parameters. Never kill an unborn child, use only adult stem cells, only use such treatments for ailments and not modification, etc.
You can't stop other people from making chimeras.

Thurible

You can't stop other people from making chimeras.
While I don't think chimeras will be a reality, I do think it will sadly be an inevitability that there will be a modern eugenics movement for unnecessary modifications and "enchancements" on unborn children. It will be a new form of eugenics with designer children.

Mohonky

Oh, personally I don't have much of a problem with messing with non-human organisms (for example, though not necessarily related, I think GMOs are a good thing as sometimes they can yield a greater harvest, utilize less resources, and have better nutritional value.).

What does concern me is utilizing human stem cells in non-human things, we are superior to animals and just breeding them to develop something human like our organs is a bit suspect. It sort of lowers the human body. Also, this could have an impact down the line on what we could do to unborn humans.

I have nothing on human gene therapy/editing or the utilization of stem cells. However it must be within ethical parameters. Never kill an unborn child, use only adult stem cells, only use such treatments for ailments and not modification, etc.

We're made from the same stuff mate, there is literally no difference between us and any other animal. We're not unique or superior to any other fauna on this planet. Our conscious maybe more developed but the basic building blocks that make us are no different.

Tesseract

Banned
keeping babies alive, and selling they body parts

i'm not surprised mother fuckers

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
They need to crossbreed other distantly related animals together before attempting human-animal hybrids.

Let's get some whale-dogs and caterpillar-elephants going on first. Then once that's been perfected, it trivial to create pig-humans that allow for what the researchers here hope to accomplish (growing human transplant organs in animals).

Tesseract

Banned
They need to crossbreed other distantly related animals together before attempting human-animal hybrids.

Let's get some whale-dogs and caterpillar-elephants going on first. Then once that's been perfected, it trivial to create pig-humans that allow for what the researchers here hope to accomplish (growing human transplant organs in animals).

i dunno if you joke or not but i'm all for it

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
i dunno if you joke or not but i'm all for it
Not joking. I'm just trying to point out the irony of worrying so much about not mixing human DNA with other animals at the risk that it might give birth to a human-animal hybrid, without even trying to perfect what would have to be the same scientific techniques on other animal combos first.

They should work their way up to combining humans with other animals.

Tesseract

Banned
Not joking. I'm just trying to point out the irony of worrying so much about not mixing human DNA with other animals at the risk that it might give birth to a human-animal hybrid, without even trying to perfect what would have to be the same scientific techniques on other animal combos first.

They should work their way up to combining humans with other animals.

OH HELL YEAH

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm pretty sure this is the backstory to Resident Evil.

Top Bottom