• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan has bought 2.3 million Xbox consoles in the last 20 years, new report reveals (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

Around 2.3 million Xbox consoles have been sold in Japan across all generations since the original console came to the country 20 years ago.

That’s according to a new report in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine, which celebrates the 20th anniversary of Xbox in Japan.

According to the report, a total of 2,345,975 Xbox consoles have been sold in Japan as of February 6, 2022.

The vast majority of these were Xbox 360 sales, of which there were 1,616,128.

The report also confirms that the Xbox Series X/S has already overtaken the Xbox One‘s lifetime total sales in the country.

In context, Xbox console sales are tiny compared to the other platforms in the Japanese market (PS5 has already sold over 1m units in the country, and Switch has cleared 20m).

However, given Xbox’s historically poor market performance in Japan, Series X|S are off to a more positive start in a country where Xbox has typically struggled.

The total sales for each console in Japan are:

• Xbox – 472,992
  • Xbox 360 – 1,616,128
  • Xbox One – 114,831
  • Xbox Series X/S – 142,024
The article also reveals that the best-selling Xbox game in history in Japan is Dead or Alive 3 on the original Xbox, which sold 271,149 copies. This meant 46% of Xbox owners in Japan owned a copy of Dead or Alive 3.

The best-selling Xbox games in Japan in the last 20 years were:

1. Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox) – 271,149
  2. Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Xbox 360) – 208,521
  3. Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360) – 204,305
  4. Blue Dragon (Xbox 360) – 203,740
  5. The Last Remnant (Xbox 360) – 154,493
Microsoft has made renewed efforts in Japan with its most recent console launch. Xbox Series X and S launched day-and-date with other territories last November (compared to a year later with its previous console) and Xbox boss Phil Spencer has said it intends to better cater to Japanese players this console generation.

In the months after it launched Xbox Game Pass for both console and PC in Japan in April 2020, Xbox saw more player activity than in any time in its history in Japan, Spencer has previously claimed.

Following Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda last year, Spencer also called the acquisition of Tango Gameworks as part of that deal “a great step” towards achieving Xbox’s ambitions in Japan.
“I’ve talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan,” Spencer said at the time.

“This is a great step there. Thinking about the map of where these teams are, and talking about all the games they’re working on… I can’t wait to speak to the Tango team and get to know them.”

Flutta

Banned
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Boss Mog

That's a shockingly low number and 70% of that number are 360s. MS really pushed hard to get a bunch of JRPG exclusives for the 360, some of which found their way to the PS3 down the line, but still, they were really trying back then. It's what convinced me to get a 360 back then, a ton of great Japanese exclusives. I certainly don't regret it, the 360 was an amazing console for its day.

kingfey

Banned
That's a shockingly low number and 70% of that number are 360s. MS really pushed hard to get a bunch of JRPG exclusives for the 360, some of which found their way to the PS3 down the line, but still, they were really trying back then. It's what convinced me to get a 360 back then, a ton of great Japanese exclusives. I certainly don't regret it, the 360 was an amazing console for its day.
The decline after that was shit.
They were riding huge waves of success. Instead of capitalizing it, they outnintendo themselves. Which cost them badly.

Imagine games like persona mainline series coming to xbox. That would have increased their odds with the Japanese Market.

Hope gamepass can convince Japanese developers to put their games on the service. And bring back Japanese games to xbox.

I just realized if you join all sales for Xbox, Xbox One and Xbox Series S and X...it's still half of PS5's overall sales.
To put things in perspective.

Hopefully they hit the first Xbox sales once the Series consoles hit 5 years on the market. Sounds like they'll be able to hit around 330k sold by the time it hits 3 years...so maybe if they are lucky.

reksveks

I just realized if you join all sales for Xbox, Xbox One and Xbox Series S and X...it's still half of PS5's overall sales.
To put things in perspective.

Hopefully they hit the first Xbox sales once the Series consoles hit 5 years on the market. Sounds like they'll be able to hit around 330k sold by the time it hits 3 years...so maybe if they are lucky.
Last couple of weeks have been about 5/6k a week (think series consoles are still largely sold out on digital retailers) but if that's the case, it should hit that number in 15 months so middle of 2023.

4k this week.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox series x already better than xbox one Microsoft is desperate to sell in Asia.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The decline after that was shit.
They were riding huge waves of success. Instead of capitalizing it, they outnintendo themselves. Which cost them badly.

Imagine games like persona mainline series coming to xbox. That would have increased their odds with the Japanese Market.

Hope gamepass can convince Japanese developers to put their games on the service. And bring back Japanese games to xbox.
The Japanese market don’t even care about PlayStation at this point, so there’s literally nothing MS could have done to make people care about Xbox.

Japan loses more and more relevancy in the gaming world every single passing year. The series S and X are doing surprisingly well, though likely most of the sales are being on sold to other countries, as is clearly happening with the PS5 too.

Lognor

Banned
  • Xbox 360 – 1,616,128
  • Xbox One – 114,831
  • Xbox Series X/S – 142,024
Damn at that drop from 360 to Xbox One. Microsoft really blew it. But it's great to see that the X/S has already surpassed the Xbox One! Microsoft is on the right track!

reksveks

I do not think MS should ignore that market but I do not think they should try to invest to heavily into it either. Kill the Sega-like rumors and focus on expanding markets that they can actually achieve results.
The fundamental question for me is whether you get Japanese games/producers without Japanese consumers.

This was definitely not the case in 00's and 10's.

Given the rising % of Japanese games companies being attributable to Non-JP, Xbox might be benefit from that fact and the rise of Steam. I think they are investing via GP checks instead of exclusives.

kyussman

I mean the OG Xbox would have probably taken up half the space in an average Japanese living room.....you can see why they didn't really catch on after that,lol.

Markio128

KiVnppS.jpg

But seriously, the Series S/X aren't selling too badly (for Japan). It's possible that they will beat the 360 over there.
I can understand why they were laughing at the colossus Xbox and controllers, but I loved that console - easily my fave Xbox. For one, it looked like a proper gaming console, and not like some boring looking PC base. Then there were the games; Halo, Jet Set Radio, Project Gotham Racing, Ninja Gaiden, etc.,

Kazza

I can understand why they were laughing at the colossus Xbox and controllers, but I loved that console - easily my fave Xbox. For one, it looked like a proper gaming console, and not like some boring looking PC base. Then there were the games; Halo, Jet Set Radio, Project Gotham Racing, Ninja Gaiden, etc.,

I like the OG Xbox too. I even recently just bought a "Duke" controller and actually think it's really nice.

Beechos

I dont understand whats so important about the japanes gaming market and why its so important to sell consoles there? Why dont other countries sales get as much attention as japan?

Last edited:
Nothing and it’s not.

It was at one point, that time has long since passed. People just cling to it now because of their weeb teenage glory days.

Japan isn’t at the forefront of gaming anymore and hasn’t been for awhile, which is why every major japanese publisher are moving to making games that appeal more to the west or turning into mobile game studios

Last edited:

Deerock71

If you take everything I've accomplished in my life and condense it down to one day, it looks decent!” -George Costanza

Banjo64

cumsessed
Microsoft needs to make more Japanese style games
Why? Western company, with western people in charge, with western studios with a product primarily targeted at western people. Even Sony are getting spanked by Nintendo in the motherland. Conventional consoles face an uphill challenge as it is. MS should stay in their lane.

Last edited:

blackjon24

I’m never been a Xbox guy but man did the Japanese exclusive they had make me want a 360 back in the days. I was insanely jealous of games like blue dragon, lost odyssey and tales of vesperia.

Why should they not try again it’s been like 15 years and it worked to some degree if you compare the sales of the 360 vs Xbox one

Stuart360

Microsoft and Japan is a bit like small children who always want what they cant have. Japan are just not interested in a western Xbox. I bet 80% of those 2mil sales are from westerners living in Japan.

Last edited:
Not too surprising. What is surprising is the drop from Xbox 360 to Xbox one. Just major drop, more than we could of anticipated.

Top Bottom