• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese gamers opinions about the Catherine: Full Body controversy in the west.

LMJ

I can't say I'm surprised, I'm sure many other countries take a look at ours and see the constant arguments of social justice and demands to change whatever medium is offending people at the time to protect their precious sensibilities on the internet and just shake their heads.

Ironically what was once seen as one of the most hardcore tough countries in the world that produce some of the toughest people in the world probably looks pretty soft to a lot right now LOL

P.S I think that "resetera is Poly college femycus SJW's nest" is my favorite new insult LOL

DansDans

I always find it remarkable that the most racist, intolerant/bigoted and hateful people are those that shout at the world that they fight racism, bigotry, that all cultures are equal, that we can't judge people from other countries by our own standards and that West is the worst. I would LOVE to see a game which these people would agree is actually representative of their world-view, if such a thing even exists because to me it sounds like a round square.

Battlefield V?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
That's one of the reasons Asia is a growing market for games.
You can still actually develop and publish games there (well, as long as they don't paint China in a negative way ;) ), and there's no "woke" hate mob to tackle you for arbitrary nonsense.

Shmunter

Looks like the SJW nest is going to attempt getting Try Baker cancelled next for being involved in this sin against the cult.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Yes, that one is for the history books. “Cultural Appropriation”, because some people may think that Ariana Grande invented Japanese or something. Makes me sad for the human race.

There was someone on Brian Cox's show saying about how it has been proven that all of us as people are entirely mixed. There is no "purity" in anyone, our ancestors interbred vociferously and thoroughly, rendering "cultural appropriation", as stupid a concept as it is, completely null and void.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Reminds me of that Ariana Grande tattoo "controversy" from not so long ago which had some people in the west up in arms about "cultural appropriation" and the usual stuff.... and japan was like "we think it's cool".

Yes, that one is for the history books. “Cultural Appropriation”, because some people may think that Ariana Grande invented Japanese or something. Makes me sad for the human race.

Wu-Tang Clan best look out, even though they ain't nothing to fuck with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like the SJW nest is going to attempt getting Try Baker cancelled next for being involved in this sin against the cult.

If they ever watched Retro Replay and seeing how him and Nolan North go back and forth with their 80's/90's styled low filter commentary...

Great YouTube show, however.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Funny comments but true nonetheless from our Japanese counterparts. Reset really does have a warped and abnormal perspective on video games, especially those that don’t adhere to their SJW philosophy and logic.

Edit: Just because of this, I feel like changing my avatar to something related to the game. :p

Last edited:

Murdoch

Slightly off topic : my friend sent me a screengrab of the starting splash screen of Shadow of the Tomb raider. Has anyone else seen it? Is this kind of disclaimer absolutely necessary for every game being released at the moment? Do I need to start putting similar things into all conversations and quotes to my clients?

Last edited:

JohannCK

So i was wondering since the beginning of this, what Japanese gamers think about this since they already have the game and the controversy is about a Japanese game. i started looking for Japanese websites that may have talked about this and finally found an article about this controversy on a Japanese website and the comments are hilarious.

http://yurukuyaru.com/archives/79065951.html

I translated some of the comments here.

Damn they are angry this time.
Hi, I'm an actual translator and I'm sorry to say this but a lot these translations are, to be frank, nonsense.

• I think that Atlas should say, "They do not buy and they do not play, but they hit the huge mouth quite a bit."
  • Japanese is a Japanese cedar who does not know that
  • > The hero who witnessed a man feels the expression of terror If the nonsense looks at the man's dickcoil closely looks at the man's dick's coat everyone hates disgusting Anyone who does not like a woman is the same as hunting a man's dick near him Well then, what kind of reaction will you have? No ... I have been criticized because I did not cover the smells
Like, seriously?

Additionally these comments are taken from a "matome blog", these are infamous clickbait websites which cherrypick (or sometimes straight up fabricate) the most inflamatory comments they can come up with and do not by any extent represent the average person. Even the most ignorant of people take their nonsense with a grain of salt.

Searching Twitter for キャサリン 炎上 would give you a better idea of what people think but most of it seems to be based on flawed reporting (most of the reports available in Japanese omit or mistranslated a lot of the details) so almost nobody actually knows what's going on.

Last edited:
This is not a morality war. This is about Western culture trying to change a Japanese product. Japanese opinion is critical to the mediation of the argument.
The Western audience (let's be honest, it's directed squarely at the U.S.) should just be shamed from Japan who loves the ~12 year old, while trying to pass off as 1000 year old being, pedophilia market because obviously their morality is supreme.

MayauMiao

Good to know Japan thinks ResetEra is so full of shit.

I wonder how REEEers will react to such response from the land of the rising sun?

Shmunter

Hi, I'm an actual translator and I'm sorry to say this but a lot these translations are, to be frank, nonsense.

Like, seriously?

Additionally these comments are taken from a "matome blog", these are infamous clickbait websites which cherrypick (or sometimes straight up fabricate) the most inflamatory comments they can come up with and do not by any extent represent the average person. Even the most ignorant of people take their nonsense with a grain of salt.

Searching Twitter for キャサリン 炎上 would give you a better idea of what people think but most of it seems to be based on flawed reporting (most of the reports available in Japanese omit or mistranslated a lot of the details) so almost nobody actually knows what's going on.

Just need to know one thing..is “SJW NEST” legit?

JohannCK

Just need to know one thing..is “SJW NEST” legit?
That bit is legit

>Japanese is a Japanese cedar who does not know that resetera is Poly college femycus SJW's nest ...

That's actually "there are too many Japanese who don't know that resetera is a hive of political correctness feminist (insult) SJWs"

But of course most Japanese don't know what resetera or SJWs are to begin with: "SJW" isn't really a term known much around here at all. IF the comment is legit (and like I said before, these blogs are infamous for just making up comments) it's probably from someone who hangs out on these rancid blogs to begin with, or one of the netouyo (rabid hyper-right internet trolls).

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Western audience (let's be honest, it's directed squarely at the U.S.) should just be shamed from Japan who loves the ~12 year old, while trying to pass off as 1000 year old being, pedophilia market because obviously their morality is supreme.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Have you even played Catherine?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OT and how seriously to take the opinions of said posters while understanding the moralities from which they come. It's not hard. Keep up, champ.

Are you generalizing an entire culture of people, or do you know about these specific one's in the context of Catherine?

ROMhack

I love that supposed hardcore game forum resetera (that we all know is the sjw nest) that purpotes to love all these Japanese games...acting like they are such elites for seeking out and playing these hardcore japanese games...are disliked by the Japanese, yet arent aware of it. To be fair, era people aren't aware of very much at all, that's what makes them so unbearable, but I find this one particularly delicious.

It reminds me of about 25 years ago when I first got a PC at home with 56k modem and went online. I met someone who called himself otaku, he had it as his ICQ handle (remember that?), all over his PC desktop wallpaper, even in picture frames on his wall. He prided himself on it, on being such a nerd obsessed with Japanese culture. It was only a few years later that I found out the term otaku wasnt actually all that much of a compliment, basically meaning someone who takes the hobby too far, to the detriment of their social skills and behaviour.

That reminds me, I tried and failed to make a similar argument in a blog post a few months back. My point was that if Otakus are usually considered as 'uber-nerds' who take fiction way too bloody seriously, then how are people who get mad about gender/sex/race representation in videogames any different?

It seems the only factor involved is that one group class themselves as being progressive. Personally I see them both as having their heads in the clouds - always wanting to engage with what something should be rather than what something actually is (and perhaps most importantly, why).

I'm sure there's levels to it but when it gets extreme, both exhibit the negative side of Otaku-ism.

Last edited:

JohannCK

It reminds me of about 25 years ago when I first got a PC at home with 56k modem and went online. I met someone who called himself otaku, he had it as his ICQ handle (remember that?), all over his PC desktop wallpaper, even in picture frames on his wall. He prided himself on it, on being such a nerd obsessed with Japanese culture. It was only a few years later that I found out the term otaku wasnt actually all that much of a compliment, basically meaning someone who takes the hobby too far, to the detriment of their social skills and behaviour.

I'd just like to say that I've always found it ironic, hypocritical, and very sad how there are nerds/gamers who gulp down that nonsense without a doubt despite having had to deal with the likes of Patricia Pulling and Jack Thompson.

Last edited:
"Abnormal people who can not distinguish between games and reality"

LMAO

It's funny because it's true.

Reminds me of that Ariana Grande tattoo "controversy" from not so long ago which had some people in the west up in arms about "cultural appropriation" and the usual stuff.... and japan was like "we think it's cool".
Most people were laughing at the fact that the tattoo was wrong despite multiple attempts at correcting it. People saw right through that cheap marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

Elfstar

I hate that what a dozen of angry lunatics say on a tiny, completely irrelevant website gets to become somehow a "controversy" that even travels to Asia, i hate how much the Internet distorts real life.

angelic

Banned
That reminds me, I tried and failed to make a similar argument in a blog post a few months back. My point was that if Otakus are usually considered as 'uber-nerds' who take fiction way too bloody seriously, then how are people who get mad about gender/sex/race representation in videogames any different?

It seems the only factor involved is that one group class themselves as being progressive. Personally I see them both as having their heads in the clouds - always wanting to engage with what something should be rather than what something actually is (and perhaps most importantly, why).

I'm sure there's levels to it but when it gets extreme, both exhibit the negative side of Otaku-ism.

I think there's a direct link to the fact that progressive politics are taught by hard left professors to SJWs, two groups who have no ability to survive in the real world. Just like their teachings don't work in the real world, where no one cares what pronoun you want to identify with, only if you can do the job or not.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Really tired of SJWs and their crusade against anything that tickles their feelings. Instead of acting like normal people, and simply not buying/watching/playing what they don't like, no, they want to censorship, they want to to take it away from the people that enjoy those things.
I'm amazed and scared on how twitter also became their public court, where they can scream enough and make people lose their jobs, without any proof that someone did something wrong, but tbh, the people that listen to those lunatics are even worse, and the ones that act like we are exaggerating when we say that this is going too far.

The last comment sounds closed minded but the one before that is pretty apt given they quoted a Western Novel to describe the West in itself.

They are mostly right though...don't cater to a foreign audience if it means changing it domestically too.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Not once will you see a "SJW" apologize, especially with what happened now with Catherine. Ever! This is the most scary part.

Their ideology is totalitarian to the core and influences them on a personal level too.

appaws

Banned
There was someone on Brian Cox's show saying about how it has been proven that all of us as people are entirely mixed. There is no "purity" in anyone, our ancestors interbred vociferously and thoroughly, rendering "cultural appropriation", as stupid a concept as it is, completely null and void.

This is pretty interesting. And I think true. Even in my case, where just through the accidents of history I turned out to be 100% "Italian," with all 4 grands being Italian from in or around Naples. But if you think about the different groups who have invaded southern Italy over the years, from Normans (who were originally Vikings) to Moors, there is just a lot of different influence there. I always wonder what would turn up if I took one of those tests.

As a left-leaning libertarian, I say let the free market decide what content can and cannot be in video games. If you don't like something, that is fine. Don't buy it. It is however, a very disturbing trend to advocate for censorship of games. It was wrong when it was the religious right advocating for censorship, and it is wrong today when it is the authoritarian left.

How dare the authoritarian left advocate for censorship of Japanese games in Japan. You might as well go colonize nations again. It is their country and their culture. Let them have their freedom.

I for one cannot wait to purchase Catherine: Full Body-- loved the original and Atlus games in general.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Like, seriously?

While you're right about how terrible the translations are (I'm assuming the dude just passed them through Google Translate or something similar), the comments themselves are from the comment section of the blog. I'm actually assuming the OP found the site in the first place from my post linking to it on ERA, since it's quite obvious the OP does not actually understand Japanese.

For the record, I still agree with you that they don't necessarily represent the opinion of the average person.

Searching for this topic in Japanese really doesn't get you anything but reports and translations of the controversy in the west, linking to ERA and Twitter and Kotaku, etc. Even scouring Twitter really turns up nothing in terms of genuine reactions to the story or how it treats social issues in Japanese. It's really all just reactions to the western reaction. If you've found anything to contrary, I would love to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually assuming the OP found the site in the first place from my post linking to it on ERA

You're giving yourself too much credit dude, i never go to that shithole forum because i don't like to read hundreds of posts from the mentally ill SJWs, i find it hilarious that you are far up your own ass to think that you will be the only one that have the knowledge and wisdom to find japanese websites talking about this lol

When i was looking for the japanese reaction to this controversy i remembered that one angry gamer tweeted this website days ago and that's how i found this website.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
West gaming culture of this obsession with everything needs to be "politically correct" need to die out, Its becoming extremely obnoxious at this point.

Last edited:
That’s one of the reasons why I have always been drawn to Japanese games. They have always been much more open to freedom of expression therefore that can lead to more risk taking and imaginative games that think outside the box. Even they think this uptight attitude of the West is utterly preposterous. Imo, it’s ruining gaming and creativity. This toxic attitude can lead to some Japanese companies not wanting to release their games outside of Japan at this rate and that would be catastrophic for gamers including myself.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I translated some of the comments here.

Your translations are... google translate right?

I love this comment -

• reseteraはポリコレフェミカスSJWの巣だと知らない日本人大杉・・・
It actually says "Osugi doesn't know this because he is Japanese, but Resetera is a Poly-college "Femikasu"* SJW's nest."

*(Feminist offal/waste product/that needs thrown away - "kasu" is a pretty nasty word in Japanese - its really hard to translate directly - maybe "fucking feminist scum SJW's hive" would work best to convey the tone? Nest and hive are interchangeable with that Kanji)

Also him/her mentioning poly college has the meaning of low intelligence I believe. They are like the bottom rung post secondary option in Japan.

Last edited:
The thing is, even the proponent of the idea are so fast and loose in its application that it makes no sense at all (assuming it had credence to begin with)... I mean, it should be a tool to help people get together, yet in practice it seems to be more like segregation of people depending on their skin tone (you are asian, act according to the stereo types that we have for you, same for any other skin color, just stick to your assigned "thing" and set of beliefs).

Or in short, yeah, the most externally tolerant are usually the most bigoted.

It's not that simple, real bigotry exist, but some people like to apply their judgement with some sort of bingo card of politically incorrect ideas, and if you score enough bad points you are "bad"... It makes life easier if you are intellectually lazy, or if you are a sociopath who just want an easy way to "fit in" as it's easy to fake.

But some really good and honest people get caught in that way of thinking because they were led to believe that it's coming from a good place, just like people keep going to the Catholic Church for moral direction.

Your translations are... google translate right?

I love this comment -

• reseteraはポリコレフェミカスSJWの巣だと知らない日本人大杉・・・
It actually says "Osugi doesn't know this because he is Japanese, but Resetera is a Poly-college "Femikasu"* SJW's nest."

*(Feminist offal/waste product/that needs thrown away - "kasu" is a pretty nasty word in Japanese - its really hard to translate directly - maybe "fucking feminist scum SJW's hive" would work best to convey the tone? Nest and hive are interchangeable with that Kanji)

Also him/her mentioning poly college has the meaning of low intelligence I believe. They are like the bottom rung post secondary option in Japan.

I used this website but i guess google translate will give you the same result.

https://translate.yandex.com/translator/Japanese-English

Top Bottom