• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Gamers Vote On The Most Frustrating Video Game Ever

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A poll was conducted by Japanese game website Inside-Games, surveying players on what the most frustrating, spirit destroying video game that they ever played was - with some expected and unexpected results.

The top five games were featured in this article, and the survey data was based on 848 responses from Japanese gamers that had been asked "what is the most frustrating video game?" The games in this poll were chosen based on difficult levels, mysterious and complicated puzzle elements, or even other factors like the control scheme of the game in question.

At number 5 of this poll was From Software's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, which is rather appropriate considering the studio is famous for its brutally punishing difficulty. Much like its other franchise Dark Souls, the game requires the player to learn the ins-and-outs of the game's combat, with important details suich as precise moments to parry an enemy's attack. Many of these responses include being stuck on Sekiro's mini-bosses, or even the basic enemies.

In fourth place of the poll was Capcom's Ghosts 'n Goblins, a retro NES classic and side-scrolling platformer where loads of enemies are the main point of frustration. Unsurprisingly, in third place was another From Software title, the first Dark Souls game. This infamous game gave Japanese fans a lot of trouble, with Dark Souls' boss fights being the prime reason cited,

Surprisingly, the game that took the silver medal of the poll was the original Resident Evil game on the PlayStation 1. According to the responses from Japanese gamers, the main point of frustration was a combination of factors, from the game's oppressive atmospher to the many jump scares from the game's dogs or crows. The game's poorly aged tank controls also contributed to this placement.

However, the one game that took first place in the poll was indie hit Undertale. Despite its premise, players can also partake in Undertale's Genocide route where it has the player mercilessly slaugthering every creature they encounter. These fans found it not only a grind, but also the final boss of this route to be the peak of frustration, some citing several hundreds of attempts of failure. Considering the boss itself is meant to punish the player for even pursuing this path, it's rather fitting.

Resident Evil 1 surprises me even, or maybe because of, having played it when it first came out. Sekiro is probably pretty damn high on the list from most countries.

Keihart

No victims of Ghosts 'n Goblins Ultimate i see, that shit makes you want to rip your hairs towards the end. Good game tho.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
To me the most frustrating to beat was Chakan for the Genesis.

Even in practice mode, the game was nearly unfinishable.

Aldynes

Surprisingly, the game that took the silver medal of the poll was the original Resident Evil game on the PlayStation 1. According to the responses from Japanese gamers, the main point of frustration was a combination of factors, from the game's oppressive atmosphere to the many jump scares from the game's dogs or crows. The game's poorly aged tank controls also contributed to this placement.

Oh no, why would someone put scary atmosphere and frights in my horror game???

Barakov

No Returnal?
No.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

harry potter no GIF

no GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some of those bosses were pure bullshit. Somehow Nioh 2 was even harder to me.
Which one? To me none were unfair, once you know their moves sets they are not that hard to deal with. This is true even Sekiro’s last boss.

TrueLegend

Which one? To me none were unfair, once you know their moves sets they are not that hard to deal with. This is true even Sekiro’s last boss.
First of all I am better player than pretty much everyone in this forum. I actually wanted the nonkuro charm play of New game+ to be the default first experience. This is why I want hard mode in from software games from start, and I have no problem giving those who want an easy mode an option. Not everyone's skill is same. Don't give them achievements but don't gate those buyers that was my take on the whole easy mode thing. And I hate hard mode not being selectable from start in many games. So I am being as impartial as I can be. I loved Sekiro. It was my GOTY that year. But you are wrong my friend.

Shichimen Warrior says hello.

Danjin44

First of all I am better player than pretty much everyone in this forum. I actually wanted the nonkuro charm play of New game+ to be the default first experience. This is why I want hard mode in from software games from start, and I have no problem giving those who want an easy mode an option. Not everyone's skill is same. Don't give them achievements but don't gate those buyers that was my take on the whole easy mode thing. And I hate hard mode not being selectable from start in many games. So I am being as impartial as I can be. I loved Sekiro. It was my GOTY that year. But you are wrong my friend.

Shichimen Warrior says hello.
I'm not highly skilled player, I'm pretty much a gamer with normal skills, I would still say NONE of the fight felt unfair. You free disagree but I cant change how I feel.

I would say Shichimen Warrior are MUCH easier to deal with than those headless ones with swords because they don't slow down your moments with fog.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

I'm not highly skilled player, I'm pretty much a gamer with normal skills, I would still say NONE of the fight felt unfair. You free disagree but I cant change how I feel.

I would say Shichimen Warrior are MUCH easier to deal with than those headless ones with swords because they don't slow down your moments with fog.
Shichimen Warrior wasn't hard but he was unfair and bullshit because he was an item boss. Imagine getting Storm Breaker by finishing Sigward's quest in DSIII otherwise you face Yhorm as he was. As for difficulty to me, all were ok to me except OWL the father and Isshin's Second phase where I did stuck for more than half an hour. But I don't read the internet and play so that wasn't bad.

Pejo

Surprising list from JP gamers. If I had to nominate one game for the list, it'd be Resonance of Fate, the most frustrating JRPG I've ever played.

Danjin44

Shichimen Warrior wasn't hard but he was unfair and bullshit because he was an item boss. Imagine getting Storm Breaker by finishing Sigward's quest in DSIII otherwise you face Yhorm as he was. As for difficulty to me, all were ok to me except OWL the father and Isshin's Second phase where I did stuck for more than half an hour. But I don't read the internet and play so that wasn't bad.
Again I myself i had no issue with Shicimen because I enough divine confetti take them down and OWL father and Isshin were tough fights but they were absolutely fair.

You want to talk about absolutely BS and unfair fight then go to Drakengard 3' true final boss.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
RE1 is a bizarre choice. Definitely on board with any of the Ghosts and Goblins games being on the list. Seriously, fuck those games.

The average Japanese gamers are notoriously bad at games. It is known.
At least they use more than two buttons to play, unlike USA (fps games): "Close aim & Fire", and interactive-movie-auto-combat crap "games".

Man i hate when students try to talk shit about their masters. (Japan is the root of videogames).

Also i can see lots of more asian champions on competitive fighting games (that requires REAL SKILL), than other coutries.

And the hardest games ever made was created on japan...

Try harder next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom