• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Isbell announces new album The Nashville Sound out 6-16 and new tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

17265206_10154599609452572_7952620878602279375_n.jpg

The Nashville Sound Tracklist:
01. Last Of My Kind
02. Cumberland Gap
03. Tupelo
04. White Man’s World
05. If We Were Vampires
06. Anxiety
07. Molotov
08. Chaos and Clothes
09. Hope The High Road
10. Something To Love

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Tour Dates:
June 17 – Asheville, NC – Thomas Wolfe Auditorium #
June 18 – Raleigh, NC – North Carolina Museum of Art #
June 19 – Philadelphia, PA – The Fillmore Philadelphia #
June 22 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre #
June 23 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre +
June 24 – New York, NY – Beacon Theatre +
June 26 – New Haven, CT – College Street Music Hall +
June 27 – Boston, MA – Blue Hills Bank Pavilion +
June 29 – Canandaigua, NY – Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center >
June 30 – Columbia, MD – Merriweather Post Pavilion +
July 1 – Cincinnati, OH – PNC Pavilion at Riverbend Music +
July 2 – Huber Heights, OH – Rose Music Center at the Heights +
July 5 – Omaha, NE – Sumtur Amphitheatre +
July 7 – St. Paul, MN – The Palace Theatre +
July 11 – Sioux Falls, SD – The Washington Pavilion +
July 12 – St. Louis, MO – Peabody Opera House +
July 14 – Austin, TX – ACL Live at the Moody Theater +
July 15 – Austin, TX – ACL Live at the Moody Theater #
July 16 – Austin, TX – ACL Live at the Moody Theater #
July 18 – Houston, TX – Revention Music Center #
July 19 – Jackson, MS – Thalia Mara Hall #
July 21 – Miami Beach, FL – The Fillmore *
July 22 – St. Augustine, FL – St. Augustine Amphitheatre *
July 23 – North Charleston, SC – North Charleston Coliseum *
September 7 – Morrison, CO – Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Support: # Amanda Shires / + Mountain Goats / > Iron & Wine / * Strand of Oaks

Nashville, TN -- 5 Nights at the Ryman Auditorium on sale 03/17

October 10th
October 11th
October 13th
October 14th
October 15th

2017 European Dates

October 25 – Manchester, UK – Albert Hall
October 26 – Glasgow, UK – O2 ABC
October 27 – Dublin, Ireland – Olympia Theatre
October 29 – Brighton, UK – Brighton Dome
October 30 – London, UK – Roundhouse
October 31 – Birmingham, UK – Symphony Hall
November 2 – Paris, France – Le Café de la Danse
November 3 – Brussels, Belgium – Ancienne Belgique
November 6 – Amsterdam, Netherlands – Paradiso
November 7 – Hamburg, Germany – Uebel & Gefährlich
November 8 – Berlin, Germany – Columbia Theater
November 10 – Oslo, Norway – Sentrum Scene
November 12 – Stockholm, Sweden – Münchenbryggeriet
November 14 – Copenhagen, Denmark – DR Concert Hall

I will update this when a single comes out, but there isn't one yet. Word is this is going to be more of a rock sounding record. He's featuring his band The 400 Unit on this record more than the last couple, and it's also another Dave Cobb joint, so you know it will be good. I'm looking forward to this out 3 days after my birthday.

Kaladin

Good article from Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/jason-isbells-new-album-what-we-know-w471924

Three months before the release of The Nashville Sound, what do we really know about the highly anticipated project?

It's a proper band album.

The 400 Unit's current lineup – keyboardist Derry deBorja, drummer Chad Gamble, bassist Jimbo Hart, fiddle player Amanda Shires and guitarist Sadler Vaden – has been together since May 2013, when Vaden completed the roster several weeks before Southeastern's release. Gamble and deBorja both played on that album, while all five 400 Unit bandmates appeared on Something More Than Free. Even so, The Nashville Sound marks Isbell's first non-solo album since 2011. The entire group appears on the album's cover shot, and it stands to reason that the actual music will be similarly band-oriented.

The Nashville Sound contains 10 songs.

According to Southeastern Records' string of tweeted words and black-and-white photos of Nashville landmarks, the album's track list includes songs titled "Something to Love," "Hope the High Road," "Chaos and Clothes," "Molotov," "Anxiety," "If We Were Vampires," "White Man's World," "Tupelo," "Cumberland Gap" and "Last of My Kind."

The political climate helped shape Isbell's lyrics.

"The album is topical, current, a record of time passed," Isbell told Rolling Stone last month. An outspoken critic of Donald Trump on Twitter, Isbell alludes to the controversial President and cultural privilege on a new track called "White Man's World."

Dave Cobb is back in the control room, reprising his role as producer.

For the third time in a row, Isbell called upon Cobb to help shape the album's sound and scope. Pictures from the recording session show the two working on guitar licks in RCA Studio A, Cobb's historic headquarters on Music Row.
Isbell isn't giving up his independence anytime soon.
A two-time Grammy winner who topped the country, folk and rock charts with his last release, Isbell avoids major labels once again with The Nashville Sound. The new album marks the third release on his own Southeastern Records, distributed with help from Thirty Tigers.

It's lyrical. . .and loud.

"Lyrics and melody are still the driving force behind what we're doing, but this time around, there's more of a rock and roll influence," Isbell recently told Rolling Stone. He doubled down on that promise by releasing a short teaser video for the album, too, with blasts of overdriven guitar providing the soundtrack.

I would love to be at one of the Mountain Goats or Strand of Oaks shows. Caught Isbell at the Newport Folk Festival a couple years ago and he just completely tore it down.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the tour isn't coming to Los Angeles, but I am disappointed.

chris121580

This album is not getting nearly the attention it deserves. One of the best of the year and I can't get over how damn good it sounds on vinyl. Great stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom