• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: This week, Ubisoft posted a defense of NFTs on its internal message board, Mana. The employee responses were not pretty.

Anime-Vix

The French publisher, which makes popular titles including Assassin's Creed, outlined its thinking on the use of blockchain technology in a message to staff on Thursday. The announcement on an internal message board prompted hundreds of negative comments from employees posted for all of their colleagues to read.

NFTs, or nonfungible tokens, are controversial in the video game industry. Some game companies like Ubisoft, seeing a potential for big profits, have experimented heavily with blockchain in their titles. But many fans and game developers are opposed because of the environmental cost of mining cryptocurrencies and the sense that NFTs are full of scams and make games feel less fun and more like jobs. Several game companies have announced plans to invest in NFTs and then swiftly backtracked following harsh responses.

After posting the memo to "answer key questions about blockchain and communicate as clearly as possible," Ubisoft updated the message with a promise to also address "current limitations and risks." That didn't stop the scathing comments from pouring in.

"Are we competing with EA for the 'Most hated Game Studio by the public' title? Because this is how you do it," wrote one.

"I think the kids call this entire comment section 'being ratioed,'" wrote another. "Seriously, our confidence in management was already shaken by the handling of harassment cases, and now this?"

Some people, using their real names, even took shots at Ubisoft's lineup. "You know what else makes a lot of money? Making fun spectacular groundbreaking blockbusters. Why don't we focus on that instead?"

Ogbert

Well, those non-binary employees can take their blue hair and nose rings and fuck off someplace else then.

NFTs are obviously dogshit, but so bored of whiny pricks moaning about working for a AAA publisher. Don't like it? Go invest your own money, take a RISK, and setup your vegan videogame development house making games no one will buy.

Non Functional Testical
Rotum GIF

Last edited:

Woopah

Well, those non-binary employees can take their blue hair and nose rings and fuck off someplace else then.

NFTs are obviously dogshit, but so bored of whiny pricks moaning about working for a AAA publisher. Don't like it? Go invest your own money, take a RISK, and setup your vegan videogame development house making games no one will buy.
Employees are allowed to disagree with company management and the direction they are taking the business in. There is nothing wrong with that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
No fight needed. Just don't play those games.
That's not what's going to happen. People will wage open war on anyone pushing this stuff, and frankly I totally support that.

They're out to take a free and open internet and break the entire thing into microtransactions, and this is the first step.

SSfox

I mean, there was a time when they used to make an effort and put out high-quality games. Remember when they used to push the limits with the original Splinter Cell trilogy, the Prince of Persia games, Beyond Good & Evil, Rainbow Six 3, etc. all released around the same few year time period?
Yeah, but thing is all talented people left Ubisoft while ago, Ubisoft is only Ubisoft by name, they have nothing to do with the Ubisoft of 2000-2010, First POP games were so awesome, AC2 and Brotherhood so incredible it's insane, i replied those again not long time ago and what bless those games still are to play.

I actually would love to see Patrick Desilet join Sony, this guy is one of the biggest genius in the industry imo.

Last edited:

chaseroni

You'd have to be super fucking unplugged to take the managers side on this one, it is absolutely going to backfire on them publicly.
And I am saying that as a supporter of blockchain.

The Alien

Banned
I dont like the concept of NFTs as i only see it as a new avenue to gouge gamers in the name of their insatiable greed

Serious question incoming:
Is listed in the OPs article and seen it mentioned elsewhere....

How exactly are NFTs damaging to the environment?

betrayal

Banned
What Ubisoft is going through right now is what many companies often experience. At the top, people are in charge who have no idea about the core topic, which is gaming.

That doesn't always have to go wrong, if you give the people doing the work enough freedom. But that's not what it looks like at Ubisoft right now. Instead, morale is dragged down and the relationship between management and employees deteriorates on a weekly basis.

A.Romero

I don't get it. How does using NFT's make playing games less fun and more like jobs? Does it make a difference if a cosmetic item is NFT or not?

Not really involved in NFT's so I don't get why the pushback. I don't think it's really about the environment, is it? Would gamers be forced to do something in particular that they don't need to do with games today in order to play this new games with NFT's?

I dont like the concept of NFTs as i only see it as a new avenue to gouge gamers in the name of their insatiable greed

Serious question incoming:
Is listed in the OPs article and seen it mentioned elsewhere....

How exactly are NFTs damaging to the environment?
The compute power involved in the minting and all the surrounding operations requires a lot of electricity. Pretty much the same problems as mining cryptos.

kevm3

Good for the employees who are actually most likely gamers fighting against the suits who want profits over everything.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You'd have to be super fucking unplugged to take the managers side on this one, it is absolutely going to backfire on them publicly.
And I am saying that as a supporter of blockchain.

Can you explain why you think NFTs are so bad?

My interpretation is that they're overpriced cosmetics designed to appeal to whales. Aka, 99 percent of the audience is unaffected/won't care.

What am I missing?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't get it. How does using NFT's make playing games less fun and more like jobs? Does it make a difference if a cosmetic item is NFT or not?

Well depends on the game.. some NFT based games are literally jobs for people lol

They are hired by people wealthy enough to buy the expensive NFT characters, who then pay people in poor countries to "play" the shitty game (usually a pokemon ripoff kinda game) and collect part of the money from the generated crpyto.

These games are terrible, not something anyone plays for fun.. they literally "play" to make money.

Similarly even if the game is fun, if a game rewards you with cosmetics that are NFTs, people will certainly play them specifically to earn those sellable things. Particularly in poor countries.

The whole "bad for the environment" thing is not really a requirement though as there are "green" NFTs that cost the same energy as this post costs, to mint. I think one problem is though they tend to be tied to crypto currencies that aren't taking off/becoming valuable.

Tg89

They are also the only publisher capable of shipping their main titles on time and with minimum delays.
Not that hard when all your games follow the same vanilla ass copy paste open world formula. Anyone can ship a shit game on time.

Daymos

Well I'm doing my part by not buying ubisoft or EA games, I decided that back at the end of the PS3/beginning of ps4. Help them die faster.

A.Romero

Well depends on the game.. some NFT based games are literally jobs for people lol

They are hired by people wealthy enough to buy the expensive NFT characters, who then pay people in poor countries to "play" the shitty game (usually a pokemon ripoff kinda game) and collect part of the money from the generated crpyto.

These games are terrible, not something anyone plays for fun.. they literally "play" to make money.

Similarly even if the game is fun, if a game rewards you with cosmetics that are NFTs, people will certainly play them specifically to earn those sellable things. Particularly in poor countries.

The whole "bad for the environment" thing is not really a requirement though as there are "green" NFTs that cost the same energy as this post costs, to mint. I think one problem is though they tend to be tied to crypto currencies that aren't taking off/becoming valuable.

So basically what has happened with MMO's since ever?

Godot25

Banned
This got to the point when
1. I don't even care about that Splinter Cell remake, because there is 99% chance Ubi will fuck it up. And I used to adore Splinter Cell.
2. I have Ubisoft at the top of my "most hated publishers" list (I don't count Konami). They are literally worst of the bunch. Greedy fucks without spine.

I don't know what happened to them. I used to love AC in II-Brotherhood-Revelations times. FC3 was amazing, Rayman Legends was insanely good. Blacklist was great. GR Future Soldier was awesome.
Now? Fucking rehashes of open world tower formula everywhere. No semblance of variety or quality. Just bad.

I'm literally sad.

Top Bottom