• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grub] Playstation Showcase before E3: "Massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5"

RevGaming

Especially since you can completely turn off those animations, unlike rockstar games
Well that was added later, but to define the gameplay by how you pick items. I don't know what goes through that guy's head. How can you possibly think picking up items = bad gameplay.

Better than Bethesda simplistic COMBAT gameplay which is l2 and r2 and let the gear stats define if you beat the enemy or not.

Last edited:
Well that was added later, but to define the gameplay by how you pick items. I don't know what goes through that guy's head. How can you possibly think picking up items = bad gameplay.

Better than Bethesda simplistic COMBAT gameplay which is l2 and r2 and let the gear stats define if you beat the enemy or not.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Al i wanna see is a Spiderman 2 and Wolverine gameplay, and shove in there a Uncharted 5 trailer.

Varteras

Gold Member

Personally I think Bethesda RPGs have some of the most boring combat. I did like the VATS in Fallout but outside of that slow motion, cinematic spectacle I felt like the rest of the gunplay was bad. Starfield's moment-to-moment did seem a bit better than that but holy shit the space combat section put me to sleep. I think the only thing Bethesda RPGs do better than most is the sense of discovery. Making you want to just pick a direction and find out what's over there or stumbling across something you had no intention of looking for and it turns into this long dungeon run. That's the real magic of their games. Everything else is just decent if not bad. To me, anyways.

Perrott

Gold Member
You really don't know what's good gameplay if you think Bethesda is better than GG at it.
Regular Bethesda singleplayer RPGs overflow with gameplay systems of incredibly tasteful implementation that, when working as a whole, actually manage to elevate and enrich the player experience to such levels that make them remain unmatched, even to this day. Yes, not even the Cyberpunks of the world are remotely close to playing in the same league.

For instance, every single design decision regarding the loot system: not only does the fact that you can pick up pretty much any physical object in the world do wonders when it comes to building the player's immersion, but the amount of implications that carrying too much loot have in their games can completely alter the moment-to-moment gameplay as well as the mindset and pacing at which the player enjoys the experience.

They are geniuses when it comes to that -- which is why Obsidian had been trying to replicate that exact formula for over a decade now, ever since they were exposed to it during the making of New Vegas, Fallout 3's sister game.

Edit: Yeah, laugh all you want, you dipshit. I'm confortable knowning that I ain't the one with zero idea about game design here.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Am I the only one that thinks the PS5 is the most boring generation so far? Hardly anything has impressed me or dared to do something outside of the box. I’m so bored. Every game is just a souped up PS4 game or battle royale game. So lame.
I have way more enjoyed Elden Ring, Hogwarts and Hell Let Loose vs any exclusive from either camp honestly

Pimpbaa

How many phases we talking about here, because if it’s 2 then I’m not sure we are out of the first yet. Supply issues for a couple of years, still getting cross gen games, this gen is going to be longer than the last.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the most exciting thing about being a PlayStation fan right now us that we have no idea what all of Sony's 1st party studios are working on (outside of SM2, Wolverine and Factions). I know some of these SoP's have been frustrating and this era of PlayStation is missing that sense of excitement (while still *absolutely* delivering the games) but I think we're in for something special over the next few months, don't disappoint the faithful Uncle Jimmy.

Last edited:

krumble

I'll believe it when I see it, if they are going to impress they better be dripping the cross gen stuff completely as it's really held back games like horizon and gow

Salz01

They did a much better job at hyping and marketing games during the ps4 era. This marketing team or plan they have for ps5 sucks. It just does. As others have said GOW, and Horizon are just supped up ps4 pro games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Press triangle to pick up herbs > wait for 3 second animation > repeat x9000.

Not saying either studio is better than the other but let's not pretend GG are top tier.
This is the most reductive description of gameplay ever lol

Do you not pick up health or other items in your games?

hyperbertha

You really don't know what's good gameplay if you think Bethesda is better than GG at it.

At least you admit the obvious with the graphics, might as well discard it.

A ps3 remake is trumping everything on xbox together in terms of moving units.

Speaking of it. I am playing it right now.
The general consensus is that horizon gameplay is pretty mediocre. Most sony games with the exception of bloodbprne and tlou are mediocre gameplay wise. Of course you need to own more than one console to be able to admit it. I'm way over this fanboy trash.

tmlDan

Fanboy of what? I own a PS4 pro so I've played almost all of your system sellers so far. In addition I own a pc and switch. I got bored of forbidden west gameplay in 10 hours. No depth.
Who knows, but looking at your post history you just shit on everything without any valid reasoning.

Maybe you just hate life, idk. I don't know you.

Seems like you only shill for Japanese games from what i saw (Nier, Nioh etc.) I don't think i found a single positive post.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
This is the most reductive description of gameplay ever lol

Do you not pick up health or other items in your games?

Yeah, absolutely horrible gameplay.

Woah. Calm down warriors. Horizon Forbidden West is genuinely one of the better games I've played in recent times.

I just don't think it's strengths are gameplay. The gathering (which is now fixed) the climbing and the combat is not my favourite. I would go as far as saying the gameplay in the PS4 Killzone by GG didn't have the best gameplay either. I'm completely okay if people disagree with that.

If the arguement is Besthesda vs Guerilla Games for gameplay. My pick is Bethesda - their games are more complex and have systems that just work (tehe).

Helghan

Okay, good. So that means, according to you, the length of the campaign does not dictate whether it's a full game or not because you consider Resident Evil 3 (which is an even shorter and more expensive game than Miles Morales) as a full game.

Then I think it's safe to assume that you also count Miles Morales as a full game, right?

In that case, we're on the same page on this.
Lol no, I knew when I was typing “yes.” you would come with this gotcha bs. I knew I was going to explain myself again, but gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were able to comprehend and read my previous posts.

Like I said before it should be compared to it’s predecessor and successor. That’s it. Discussion is also closed for me with this.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lol no, I knew when I was typing “yes.” you would come with this gotcha bs. I knew I was going to explain myself again, but gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were able to comprehend and read my previous posts.

Like I said before it should be compared to it’s predecessor and successor. That’s it. Discussion is also closed for me with this.
No, it's not. Stop making arbitrary definitions that suit your narrative.

Whether a game is a full game or not or a AAA or not -- it's compared with other games, not with its predecessor or successor (which hasn't even been released yet).

If Resident Evil 3 ($60 for 6 hours) is a full game in your eyes, then Miles Morales ($50 for 8 hours) is also a full game. Unless you have double standards.

Last edited:

RevGaming

Last edited:

RevGaming

I have played and BEATEN about 100 games since ps4 started.

Bethesda's gameplay is not good. It doesn't test your reflexes. I go back to my screenshots and Fallout 4 looks bad. It just looks bad. There are still bugs on the ps4 version. A lot of visual ones specifically. Skyrim looked better at its time, but the reviewers forgot to take bugs in consideration. Their gameplay is mostly based on having the right gears and level upgrades to beat an enemy. You are a wall and they are a wall and you just shoot each other until the other one dies. You can't dodge, taking cover is almost useless. The movement is janky. The animations are old. The controls are not good. When you encounter an enemy, you just walk towards the left, right or back and press R2 until it dies. Yeah there are grenades but every FPS has it. Most of the junk you find on the world is useless, you have to make scraps of it. There are no specifics on how to fight the different enemies. You just strafe to the left or right. No need to learn the attack patterns for most of them. Climbing things is a loooooooot worse than horizon.

iD software eats Bethesda for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's the best studio Xbox has right now.

Bethesda excels at world building, content, role options and story but gameplay? New Vegas also has bad gameplay. Couldn't bare it after playing more modernized games.

Yet, I find Fallout 4 a good game.

Horizon, you need to learn enemy attack patterns and dodge them, you can decide which parts to take first that annoy you, your weapons are different between each other. You need to know which parts are affected by certain elements, oh and you can play stealthly too. I think is one of the best combat gameplay I experience. Might be the best out of this gen for me. Elden Ring and GowR are there too.

Uh and Tales of Arise.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

This is really odd. Usually a Jeff Grubb thread has a first page filled with shit talking the source (there are some, but not nearly as much as I usually see). I guess the fact that he is speaking about Sony as opposed to Xbox brings in a different crowd.

Year 2023:

San Diego - MLB The Show 23 (2023)
Insomniac - Spider-Man 2 (2023)
SIE published - Stellar Blade (2023)
SIE published - Convallaria (2023)
SIE published - Firewall Ultra (2023)
Team Asobi - Astrobot (2023+)
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us Online (2023+)
Media Molecule - TBA (2023+) (Assuming they're doing something besides Dreams)

Year 2024:

San Diego - MLB The Show 24 (2024)
SIE published - Rise of the Ronin (2024)
Bend Studio - TBA (2024+)
Bluepoint - TBA (2024+)
Firesprite - Narrative Adventure (2024+)
Firesprite - Multiplayer Action (2024+)
Guerilla - Horizon Online (2024+)
Insomniac - Wolverine (2024+)
Pixelopus - TBA (2024+)
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima II (2024+)
SIE published - Death Stranding 2 (2024+)

Year 2025 and TBA:

San Diego - MLB The Show 25 (2025)
Haven - TBA (2025+)
Housemarque - TBA (2025+)
Insomniac - Multiplayer (2025+)
London Studio - Online Game (2025+)
Naughty Dog - single player TBA (2025+)
Santa Monica Studio - TBA (2025+)
SIE published - KOTOR (2025+)
SIE published - Firewalk Studios TBA (2025+)
SIE published - Deviation Games TBA (2025+)

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They still think Miles is still a full game with it's 8h campaign, and 15h to finish it 100%... I'm 10h in Hogwarts and I've got like 16%, nowhere near completion.
This is why AAA gaming fucking sucks.

Howlongtobeat has nothing to do with the quality or "fullness" of a game.

Varteras

Gold Member
No, it's not. Stop making arbitrary definitions that suit your narrative.

Whether a game is a full game or not or a AAA or not -- it's compared with other games, not with its predecessor or successor (which hasn't even been released yet).

If Resident Evil 3 ($60 for 6 hours) is a full game in your eyes, then Miles Morales ($50 for 8 hours) is also a full game. Unless you have double standards.

Friday Movie GIF

Top Bottom