• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grub] Playstation Showcase before E3: "Massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5"

Woopah

I was saying yesterday that all 3 manufacturers will have great shows over Summer, and this looks to support that!

kaizenkko

I try to not get excited with more rumors of a new PS Showcase, because I lost count of how many times we saw this same talk in the last year.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Right I forgot gran turismo and ratchet and clank, the rest not so much.
Paramount Network I Dont Care GIF by Yellowstone

Helghan

But you did forget all the others too.

Doesn't matter if you liked them or not, they did release all those games, and most of them found critical and/or commercial success.
Let's be clear that I don't have a problem with what Sony released thus far. It's better than what Xbox did when you look at the total package.

I've got an issue with Jeff Grub calling it "Phase 2", when it's ridiculous to call what Sony released until now a "Phase 1", because compared to the heights of PS4, this was still a bit lacklustre.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jeff said this state of play was going to be great.

He knows nothing about the internal state of Sony studios. Sony skipped the entire year last year. Of course they have stuff to show but when is it coming out? And what is it? 12 gaas games no one wants to play? More vr shovelware? A few single player games that won’t come out until 2025-2027? Are we seriously expecting ssm, gg, nd to launch next Gen aaa games in 2023-2024 after shipping games in 2022?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Let's be clear that I don't have a problem with what Sony released thus far. It's better than what Xbox did when you look at the total package.

I've got an issue with Jeff Grub calling it "Phase 2", when it's ridiculous to call what Sony released until now a "Phase 1", because compared to the heights of PS4, this was still a bit lacklustre.
Yeah, that's fine. I wasn't blaming that you were downplaying it against the Xbox lineup either.

However, by this point, PS4 didn't have nearly as many good games as PS5 has.

PS4 had: Resogun, Killzone Shadowfall, InFamous Second Son, Knack, The Order 1886, Bloodborne.

PS5 has: GoW Ragnarok, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Astrobot, Horizon Forbidden West, GT 7, and more. I think PS5 first 2 years has killed it and has been one of the best ever.

yurinka

I'm assuming Sony is going to announce a bunch of first party 2024-2025 releases. Some of them will have CGI trailers like Spider-Man 2 had over a year ago. And I'm guessing we get gameplay of FF16, Spider-Man 2, Factions, and a few of their smaller studios working on GAAS.

But I think the days of Sony showing gameplay footage years out is over. They have already stated that they don't want to put undue pressure on their devs. Not to mention, I don't believe Sony needs much advertising to sell gamers on any new releases from any of their premiere studios. God of War Ragnarok had the least amount of marketing of any Sony game I can remember, and it sold like hot cakes
I think that as usual Sony will make a show to announce or show the main games they have planned for the next year or year and a half (so at E3 will focus on 2023-2024 games), and that they'll focus on the ones to be released in the next 6-9 months (basically the H2 2023 games). They may have one or two games announced that could go a bit beyond that, almost 2 years from the event (H1 2025).

And as usual they'll add some indies and PSVR2 games on top.

yurinka

He knows nothing about the internal state of Sony studios.
Of course they have stuff to show but when is it coming out? And what is it?
100% agree, I think he has no insider info abot this and that he's only guessing stuff.

12 gaas games no one wants to play?
A lot of people wanted to play MLB, GT7 and wants to play TLOU Online. Plus whatever new games Bungie will release soon. I'm also pretty sure people will want to play whatever Deviation, Haven, Firewalk, Guerrilla Bend and Insomniac have in store, plus Helldivers 2.

Are we seriously expecting ssm, gg, nd to launch next Gen aaa games in 2023-2024 after shipping games in 2022?
Maybe not 2023, but 2024 seems likely. These studios now have multiple teams and they have been working on unannounced games for many years.

Last edited:

He knows nothing about the internal state of Sony studios. Sony skipped the entire year last year. Of course they have stuff to show but when is it coming out? And what is it? 12 gaas games no one wants to play? More vr shovelware? A few single player games that won’t come out until 2025-2027? Are we seriously expecting ssm, gg, nd to launch next Gen aaa games in 2023-2024 after shipping games in 2022?
Grubb never said the State of Play was going to be great for Sony exclusive games. 2024 exclusives of Final Fantasy 16, Spider-Man 2, Factions, and Steller Blade is pretty darn good. 2024 they for sure have Rise of Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 rebirth, Silent Hill 2 remake, new maybe Bluepoint game. 2025 will most likely be GOT2, Wolverine(could be 2024), and new ip Naughty dog have been working in since 2020(they have two teams). SSM new IP is probably 2026

Not to mention a bunch of recently acquired studios will have games releasing in that time frame as well. Sony is putting out much more content than they ever did on the PS4. What's to complain about?

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Cool, my predictions for it (assuming it airs around late May):
  • The Last Of Us: Factions – November 2023
  • The Last Of Us: Part II Remastered – June 2023
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 – October 2023
  • Stellar Blade – October 2023
  • Helldivers 2 – August 2023
  • Siren – September 2023
  • Déraciné – June 2023
  • Half-Life: Alyx – October 2023
  • New IP (genDESIGN) – 2024
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake – Early 2024
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message – Available Now
  • Ace Combat 8 – November 2023
  • Pragmata – January 2024
  • New IP (Swizzle Kiss) – September 2023
  • Little Devil Inside – July 2023
  • Final Fantasy XVI – June 22nd, 2023 (Demo Available Now)
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth – Early 2024
  • Twisted Metal – Early 2024
  • Rise of the Ronin – Spring 2024
  • New IP (Firewalk Studios) – Spring 2024
  • Marvel's Wolverine – 2024
  • Death Stranding 2 – 2024
  • New IP (FromSoftware) – 2024

Last edited:

PS4 phase 1 was dawgshit the fuck are you talking about. Bloodborne carried them

I just want to see FF7 Rebirth. I imagine it could show up there because it is a PS5 exclusive title and April 10th is the anniversary of the original remakes release which is before E3.

EN250

Second phase....what is this? MCU? Sony needs to just show their stuff,enough with this pretentious shit.

Also I swear to God,If I hear the phrase "they're saving the good stuff for x show" one more time....They always say this and when the big show arrives it's always followed by...."Well of course they didn't show all the good stuff, they're saving it for the next show"....rinse and repeat bullshit tactic that breeds dissapointment! I used to get so excited for this stuff but after years of this industry just teasing hype with nothing coming out of it I'm just left jaded.
But when was the last time they did a big show, 2 years ago? Just because some of the SoP turned out being good, doesn't mean they made any effort to make a big show

Maybe Sony really learned their lesson with that absolutely awful E3'18 when they interrupted the show so they could move people from one place to another to hear flute-man with Ghost of Tsushima behind him

No excuses for the lastest SoP tho, was bad (not all tho), but at the same maybe it had to be done bacause Sony have the marketing for Suicide Squad, RE4 and SF6, so they were forced to made the whole SoP around those games and to push VR because they know damn well people will whine if VR takes time out of a big showcase 🤷‍♂️

tmlDan

I feel like the hyperbole about the state of play would have been quashed if Suicide Squad wasn't looking like a generic ass game.

I don't blame Sony for that when they thought it would be better lol

Really looking forward to the next stage of the PS5, it's the phase with fully current gen games leaving the PS4 behind.

I just want to see FF7 Rebirth. I imagine it could show up there because it is a PS5 exclusive title and April 10th is the anniversary of the original remakes release which is before E3.

Right? It's crazy that Square has more exclusive AAA PS5 games announced right now than Sony first party does.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Realistically, Sony have to be considering their path forwards should the ABK buyout complete. They may need to pivot somewhat towards a new situation where they are more like Nintendo than Xbox insofar as they trade on a more distinct emphasis on platform exclusive product.

In that respect a "phase 2" scenario isn't especially unlikely. Partnering with big-name (or even formerly big-name in the case of Konami) Japanese publishers who have a track-record with Playstation and using them to fill in the gaps between first-party tentpoles seems like a smart way of differentiating themselves from the competition. Especially when MS seems to be pursuing the same western-centric type of product that they did so well with in the 360 era.

mckmas8808

Banned
Realistically, Sony have to be considering their path forwards should the ABK buyout complete. They may need to pivot somewhat towards a new situation where they are more like Nintendo than Xbox insofar as they trade on a more distinct emphasis on platform exclusive product.

In that respect a "phase 2" scenario isn't especially unlikely. Partnering with big-name (or even formerly big-name in the case of Konami) Japanese publishers who have a track-record with Playstation and using them to fill in the gaps between first-party tentpoles seems like a smart way of differentiating themselves from the competition. Especially when MS seems to be pursuing the same western-centric type of product that they did so well with in the 360 era.

They are already do that with Square, Capcom, and Konami.

Last edited:
33 million PS5s sold and you don't think the first phase even started?

No, I don't. Sony's exclusive first party support of the console has been abysmal, we've yet to see them fully commit to their new platform. I could've easily made it this far in life rocking a PS4 without playing a 3 hour Astrobot game and a 12 hour Ratchet and Clank game. They've ensured that there's zero chance I will be a day one or even early adopter for Playstation 6 whenever that comes.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
No, I don't. Sony's exclusive first party support of the console has been abysmal,
mmm no really.
we've yet to see them fully commit to their new platform.
pandemic + longer time to develop AAA games. (with mind-blowing graphics)

I could've easily made it this far in life rocking a PS4 without playing a 3 hour Astrobot game and a 12 hour Ratchet and Clank game. They've ensured that there's zero chance I will be a day one or even early adopter for Playstation 6 whenever that comes.
good for you. You are not the market.

From Konami i am expecting a deluge of Silent Hill (we already know about this) some kind of Metal Gear remake or remakes, and an original new Castlevania.

mckmas8808

Banned
No, I don't. Sony's exclusive first party support of the console has been abysmal, we've yet to see them fully commit to their new platform. I could've easily made it this far in life rocking a PS4 without playing a 3 hour Astrobot game and a 12 hour Ratchet and Clank game. They've ensured that there's zero chance I will be a day one or even early adopter for Playstation 6 whenever that comes.

Oh so you're one of "those" people that don't count cross-gen games. Gotcha!

Oh so you're one of "those" people that don't count cross-gen games. Gotcha!

What Sony should have done was make exclusives for a console that barely existed! That's good business!

Seriously, how stupid are some people? Anyone with a brain can understand why cross gen went on for so long. Finding a PS5 was a full time job and has only just got better these last few months.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They are already do that with Square, Capcom, and Konami.

With Square, absolutely. Capcom are I think more independent and fluid (more co-marketing than true exclusivity outside of VR stuff), and Konami have been AWOL for years.

I'm thinking more along the lines of scenarios where third-party product is treated like second-party; as in no console SKU's outside of Playstation for an extended period or even permanently. Basically making it so a certain franchise or IP is tied to the platform.

Konami's properties are particularly good candidates because they have lain fallow for years; for instance they pay for exclusivity on the SH2 remake with the idea being that although there are other related titles in the pipeline which may be multi-plat or even on mobile, by putting their branding on the most prominent title in the portfolio it all kinda feeds back to their ecosystem.

I think its fair to say that once a successful property becomes associated with a certain successful platform, its virtually impossible to reestablish it to the same extent outside of it. Tomb Raider springs to mind as a franchise that despite a considerable and sustained effort has never been as significant since it "left" Playstation.

Top Bottom