• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grub] Playstation Showcase before E3: "Massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5"

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Drake Reaction GIF by DJ Khaled
Rebuilding Kelvin Gastelum GIF by UFC
GIF by South Park
season 4 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Edit: Apologies to Grubb for missing a B in his grubby name

Any predictions?

A few studios that could reveal things:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Factions / TLOU2 PS5 Remaster
  • Bluepoint's Next Game
  • Bend Studio Teaser / Sucker Punch Teaser
  • New Uncharted project from unknown studio
  • Team Asobi - AstroBot's next Game
  • Third party PSVR2 announcements - HL:Alyx
  • Partner Studio Games (Deviation, etc)
They certainly SHOULD have an amazing show since they've revealed so little

So, all sequels, ports or remasters?

Let's be clear that I don't have a problem with what Sony released thus far. It's better than what Xbox did when you look at the total package.

I've got an issue with Jeff Grub calling it "Phase 2", when it's ridiculous to call what Sony released until now a "Phase 1", because compared to the heights of PS4, this was still a bit lacklustre.
well, i've got an issue with anyone taking jeff grubb seriously about anything...

Woopah

We need more of this mentality, I actually think Nintendo might have the weakest year regardless of the Zelda release.

When i say weakest i don't mean they suck lol
Quite possibly!

The only thing that makes me pause is that they are holding things very close to their chest. They have 7 games dated for the first 7 months of the year, and 0 after July. To me that implies they are going to have an event in Summer that reveals the final phase of Switch games before the successor.

Then again they have confirmed to not attend E3. So maybe they'll just ride out the rest of the Switch with smaller events and save the big show for the Switch 2 announcement early next year.
With Square, absolutely. Capcom are I think more independent and fluid (more co-marketing than true exclusivity outside of VR stuff), and Konami have been AWOL for years.

I'm thinking more along the lines of scenarios where third-party product is treated like second-party; as in no console SKU's outside of Playstation for an extended period or even permanently. Basically making it so a certain franchise or IP is tied to the platform.

Konami's properties are particularly good candidates because they have lain fallow for years; for instance they pay for exclusivity on the SH2 remake with the idea being that although there are other related titles in the pipeline which may be multi-plat or even on mobile, by putting their branding on the most prominent title in the portfolio it all kinda feeds back to their ecosystem.

I think its fair to say that once a successful property becomes associated with a certain successful platform, its virtually impossible to reestablish it to the same extent outside of it. Tomb Raider springs to mind as a franchise that despite a considerable and sustained effort has never been as significant since it "left" Playstation.
Difficult, but not virtually impossible. At one time Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were very associated with Nintendo, and Monster Hunter was very associated with PlayStation. Now Final Fantasy is associated with PlayStation while Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter are shared.

gothmog

Gold Member
I always love seeing how worked up people get just to always be disappointed. You would think most people would have more realistic expectations based on the history of most of these events.

Quite possibly!

The only thing that makes me pause is that they are holding things very close to their chest. They have 7 games dated for the first 7 months of the year, and 0 after July. To me that implies they are going to have an event in Summer that reveals the final phase of Switch games before the successor.

Eh, Nintendo has already dropped 3 80+ Metacritic games this year (one a 95) and it's not even March. Meanwhile the other first parties sitting around only dropping disappointing streams with limited (or zero) first party reveals...

Woopah

Eh, Nintendo has already dropped 3 80+ Metacritic games this year (one a 95) and it's not even March. Meanwhile the other first parties sitting around only dropping disappointing streams with limited (or zero) first party reveals...
Yes, but to be fair two of those games are remasters/remakes.

It could still end very well for Nintendo if Pikmin, Zelda and Bayonetta review well. Then its just a case of seeing if they have anything unnotched for the rest of the year, and how that compares to any unannounced 2023 games from PS/XB.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
About Elden Ring.

I hated the mechanics of final boss so much that I couldn't beat the game. I hated running across half the map just to attack him.
Easiest endboss in souls history ... but nevermind.. prepare yourself for sekiro endboss ... his going to kick your ass for a couple of times 😅

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jeff Grubb damage controlling for Sony?

0ccTfkD.gif
Grubb has gotten a taste of the PS fans starting to pay attention to him in a good way, he is in it for the clicks

Funny most PS fans (and a lot of Xbox fans for that matter) has always made fun of Grubb because of how often he misses with his info.

But he says PS will have an amazing showcase that "kicks off phase 2 for the PS5" and those same PS fans now

suck my dick wwe GIF

Grubb has gotten a taste of the PS fans starting to pay attention to him in a good way, he is in it for the clicks

Funny most PS fans (and a lot of Xbox fans for that matter) has always made fun of Grubb because of how often he misses with his info.

But he says PS will have an amazing showcase that "kicks off phase 2 for the PS5" and those same PS fans now

suck my dick wwe GIF

Oh right, that would make more sense.

It's funny looking back at Grubb over the years, he gets a lot of hate and attention from both sides, I know the Sony camp were mad at him for a good while when he claimed that Kojima had partnered with Xbox which turned out to be true funnily enough.

Then I remember the Xbox camp being mad at him because he was reporting on the piss poor performance of the Microsoft first-party studios.

Astray

Gold Member
My advice with all those leakers etc is to just stop being rain made, don't listen to those idiots even when they tell you stuff they like.

sachos

This is what i've been waiting for. Showcases are always hype as fuck. Prediction: Next Uncharted game is VR or at least can be played in VR too.

Last edited:

Kacho

Drake Reaction GIF by DJ Khaled
Rebuilding Kelvin Gastelum GIF by UFC
GIF by South Park
season 4 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

Edit: Apologies to Grubb for missing a B in his grubby name

Any predictions?

A few studios that could reveal things:
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Factions / TLOU2 PS5 Remaster
  • Bluepoint's Next Game
  • Bend Studio Teaser / Sucker Punch Teaser
  • New Uncharted project from unknown studio
  • Team Asobi - AstroBot's next Game
  • Third party PSVR2 announcements - HL:Alyx
  • Partner Studio Games (Deviation, etc)
They certainly SHOULD have an amazing show since they've revealed so little

You on team Grubb, mang?

hyperbertha

N
It seems like you missed a lot. The first phase had:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • TLOU Part 1
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • PS VR 2
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Firewall Ultra
  • GT 7 PS VR 2
Now take away remakes, expansions, indie, and vr games. You're left with like 3 games. You're fooling noone. It's like xbox fans clinging onto hifi rush.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
N

Now take away remakes, expansions, indie, and vr games. You're left with like 3 games. You're fooling noone. It's like xbox fans clinging onto hifi rush.
lmao, but why take out "remakes, expansions, indie, and VR games."

That's some next-level copium to level-playing the field, isn't it? Take out all the varied experiences that set a company apart, so it can look bad? Hilarious 😄

Last edited:

hyperbertha

lmao, but why take out "remakes, expansions, indie, and VR games."

That's some next-level copium to level-playing the field, isn't it? Take out everything that sets a company apart, so it can look bad? Hilarious 😄
Aaa games are the metric. If you include indie and aa games, the pc and nintendo absolutely wipes the floor with the ps5 it's not even funny. Stop acting dumb. Nobody cares about fucking sackboy or destruction allstars. You're the one on copium.

Okay here:

• Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Sackboy
  • Astrobot
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West

3 games?
Now remove astrobot, destruction allstars, returnal and miles.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They still think Miles is still a full game with it's 8h campaign, and 15h to finish it 100%... I'm 10h in Hogwarts and I've got like 16%, nowhere near completion.
Of course it is a full game.

Some other full AAA games with the same game time:
  • Portal 2 (8 hours)
  • Resident Evil 2 (8 hours)
  • Plague Tale (11 hours)
  • Hi-Fi Rush (11 hours)
  • Resident Evil 7 (9 hours)
  • Ori and the Blind Forest (9 hours)
  • Metro 2033 (9 hours)
  • Metro Last Light (9 hours)
  • Hellblade (7 hours)
  • Resident Evil Village (9 hours)
  • Resident Evil 3 (6 hours)
  • Spec Ops: The Line (6 hours)
  • Mirror's Edge (6 hours)
  • Dead Space 2 (9 hours)
  • Metroid Dread (9 hours)
And many more. Do you also consider any of these games as not a "full game?"

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Aaa games are the metric. If you include indie and aa games, the pc and nintendo absolutely wipes the floor with the ps5 it's not even funny. Stop acting dumb. Nobody cares about fucking sackboy or destruction allstars. You're the one on copium.

Now remove astrobot, destruction allstars, returnal and miles.
You sound like a 7-year-old asking people to continue removing the games from the list so you can make your point and feel accomplished lol.

Ar¢tos

• Portal 2 (8 hours)
  • Plague Tale (11 hours)
  • Hi-Fi Rush (11 hours)
  • Metro 2033 (9 hours)
  • Hellblade (7 hours)
  • Titanfall 2
  • Dead Space 2 (9 hours)
And many more. Do you also consider any of these games as "full games?"
People these days...
I consider Journey or What Remains of Edith Finch to be full games and they are barely 2h long.

Helghan

• Portal 2 (8 hours)
  • Plague Tale (11 hours)
  • Hi-Fi Rush (11 hours)
  • Metro 2033 (9 hours)
  • Hellblade (7 hours)
  • Titanfall 2
  • Dead Space 2 (9 hours)
And many more. Do you also consider any of these games as "full games?"
Not sure why you compare Miles to those games. Miles should be compared to Spiderman, and on top of that within it's genre. Spiderman from 2018 was much bigger. If Spiderman was released at the start of the PS4, no way that they would release this a couple of years later as the "successor". It wouldn't have been made or came out a bit smaller as a DLC. Pretty sure Spiderman 2 will also be much bigger than this. Miles was made because they needed to fill the PS5 line up, and they could build on top of what they already had from Spiderman with a new skin, couple of graphical improvements and a different story line.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just saying there's no reason to pretend as if Miles Morales was nothing more than a way to fill the line up a bit. I'm also not saying the line up from Xbox was any better btw.

Not sure why you compare Miles to those games. Miles should be compared to Spiderman, and on top of that within it's genre. Spiderman from 2018 was much bigger. If Spiderman was released at the start of the PS4, no way that they would release this a couple of years later as the "successor". It wouldn't have been made or came out a bit smaller as a DLC. Pretty sure Spiderman 2 will also be much bigger than this. Miles was made because they needed to fill the PS5 line up, and they could build on top of what they already had from Spiderman with a new skin, couple of graphical improvements and a different story line.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just saying there's no reason to pretend as if Miles Morales was nothing more than a way to fill the line up a bit. I'm also not saying the line up from Xbox was any better btw.

If anything they should make more games like Miles and Lost Legacy. Not every game needs to be 20+ hours long

Especially for 50 bucks instead of 70

Top Bottom