• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub: Sony acquiring Square Enix was the big rumor about the next potential Sony acquisition

Pagusas

Elden Member
curious if Square sold off those other companies for cheap to make themselves more attractive (less head count/debt/offices).

I kinda like the idea of Square under Sony's umbrella, maybe they'd get the team resources and marking knowledge they so desperately need. Along with a giant NO when thinking about talking about any game more than 4 years out from release.

Last edited:
sEqKGnN.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Doubtful.
If Sony wanted to buy Square Enix they'd want the Eidos part too.
Not only for Tomb Raider and other IP's
But I assume the Marvel license goes with the studio's?
Unless they was a game deal.
But still why wouldn't Sony want Final Fantasy & Tomb Raider which are Two of the biggest OG Playstation IP's under their umbrella.

Baki

Jeff Grub is usually full of shit. I would take this rumour with a grain of salt. Hard to believe he’d have legitimate sources about M&A for a publicly traded Japanese company. Folks have to remember that these talks are highly guarded as they influence stock price and these kind of leaks could be consider insider trading and can lead to actual jail time. No one’s going to risk going to jail for Jeff fucking Grubb lol. Now if this was a private company, that’s a different story. Now this doesn’t mean that Sony isn’t in talks to buy Square. It just means that I don’t buy Jeff Grubb knowing anything.

Last edited:
I mean... final fantasy vii remake is still exclusive, ffxvi will be exclusive (supposedly timed), Forspoken will be exclusive.

The only thing this acquisition would change is the word "timed" at this point.

It does make sense though. Sony has a lot of the same businesses Square Enix has, including manga so...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean... final fantasy vii remake is still exclusive, ffxvi will be exclusive (supposedly timed), Forspoken will be exclusive.

The only thing this acquisition would change is the word "timed" at this point.

It does make sense though. Sony has a lot of the same businesses Square Enix has, including manga so...
They put a lot on Switch also. Thats the main thing that would change.

begotten

Doubtful.
If Sony wanted to buy Square Enix they'd want the Eidos part too.
Not only for Tomb Raider and other IP's
But I assume the Marvel license goes with the studio's?
Unless they was a game deal.
But still why wouldn't Sony want Final Fantasy & Tomb Raider which are Two of the biggest OG Playstation IP's under their umbrella.

Tomb Raider isn't an "OG PlayStation IP". The only one that would have been worth grabbing out of the lot from Sonys' POV would have been Legacy of Kain, which was a console exclusive. Sony isn't in the business of hoarding average developers and IPs that have run their course in the current gaming landscape. $300M says it all.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Losing a large chunk of the valuable western IP really makes Square Enix less palatable. But those are the kind of stupid decisions Sony has been making for the past two years so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Baki

It would be strange for Sony to purchase Square Enix for roughly the same price when they’ve just jettisoned valuable legacy IPs and the talented staff of Crystal Dynamics and Eidos.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Tomb Raider isn't an "OG PlayStation IP". The only one that would have been worth grabbing out of the lot from Sonys' POV would have been Legacy of Kain, which was a console exclusive. Sony isn't in the business of hoarding average developers and IPs that have run their course in the current gaming landscape. $300M says it all.
I think you know what I meant we don't have to be technical about it, Lara Croft despite being multiplatform is an original Playstation Icon, but yeah. LoK would have been another one
But that's an IP that need reviving, Tomb Raider does not.
And LoK was also a Multiplatform game
It appeared on both Dreamcast and Xbox

Last edited:
Final Fantasy has been tied to PlayStation ever since SCEA published FFVII in 1997.

I guess there are some perks for Sony if they owned FF. Plus they seem to be interested in online gaming now so having input from Square on that could be helpful.

I’m just not seeing this being about Babylons Fall to be honest.

Top Bottom