• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb has heard rumblings that Shadowrun may be returning at Xbox

SpiceRacz

I wouldn't mind if they made something in the vein of Cyberpunk, but scaled back.

While they're at it, they should bring this back:

613N6mioLoL.jpg

FrozenFlame

Are the Shadowrun rpg's any good?, i always see them on key sites for like less than a buck.
I enjoyed the story (except the second part of the first game), setting and gameplay (resolving situations based on the skills you upgraded) but i would say the combat didn't had much dept, just served it's purpose. Less than a buck is a steal and even if, for some reason, you don't enjoy them, it's not a big loss.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
As much as I enjoyed Shadowrun on 360 for what it was and the Harebrain Shadowrun trilogy, they didn't scratch the same itch as Shadowrun on SNES. So if this is true, I'm hoping it's a bigger scale version of that

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Okay, but which studio will make this Shadowrun game? Wonder if Todd will let Obsidian handle Fallout and Bethesda will make a Shadowrun game.

Wildebeest

Microsoft returned the rights of Shadowrun and Battletech to Jordan Weisman and his hairbrained schemes company. One of the less annoying decisions they have made. Their next game is new IP Lamplighters League not Shadowrun, but I suppose Shadowrun might be due a new game this decade, if the interest is still there with Cyberpunk doing well.

The news here is probably just backward compatibility with online servers being enabled for their 360 Shadowrun game.

Wildebeest

They licensed the IP from Microsoft, like Piranha Games with Mechwarrior 5. Microsoft still holds the digital rights to FASA IPs.
Great, I was only very grudgingly respecting the business decisions of Microsoft, so I'm glad to hear that hand around these beloved IPs to any of their purchased studios that ask for them, so they can "make them their own" with an exciting "not your daddy's battletech/shadowrun" GaaS game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn't they also revive the Shadow run servers, like the Call of Duty ones ?

Might be something to it.

Bry0

Great, I was only very grudgingly respecting the business decisions of Microsoft, so I'm glad to hear that hand around these beloved IPs to any of their purchased studios that ask for them, so they can "make them their own" with an exciting "not your daddy's battletech/shadowrun" GaaS game.
Something tells me they’d more likely reboot crimson skies and shadow run and leave battletech dormant/ keep licensing it to PGI. It just feels like they don’t give a F about btech. At least PGI cares about the IP and the prior games whereas MS would probably make some gaas mechassault 3 monstrosity that they would screw up anyway.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Shadow run 2007 imo one of the most under rated online imo, but id rather have a single fps rpg with the ssme abilitys that were in the online game

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
There's a really great 1UP Yours episode from 2007 where Shawn Elliott (Arkane/Irrational now directing the new Bioshock) grills and picks apart that crappy old Shadowrun reboot with FASA's Mitch Gitelman.

You'd never get this kind of challenging debate nowadays on podcasts with devs. No one has the balls.

Wildebeest

Something tells me they’d more likely reboot crimson skies and shadow run and leave battletech dormant/ keep licensing it to PGI. It just feels like they don’t give a F about btech. At least PGI cares about the IP and the prior games whereas MS would probably make some gaas mechassault 3 monstrosity that they would screw up anyway.
Battletech and Shadowrun IP are in a great place in terms of reputation compared to IP they do care about like Halo. It would be great Battletech had a fraction of the "relevance" that 40K has, but Microsoft are not the company to manage that.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So there's no market for Banjo Kazooie, but Psychonauts 2 came out and they're working on games like Shadowrun.

Doesn't add up to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom