• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "In two weeks from now Apex Legends is going to get team deathmatch"

Yep, it's now confirmed. Team Deathmatch at season launch on February 14th, and a permanent rotation of TDM, Control, Gun Run, and other LTMs coming in March. Players who play in the first week of the season will unlock Crypto for free, and players who play during the second week will unlock Ash.

Other major changes include a new class system for each of the legends, no new legend this season, buffs and nerfs for six existing legends, a new energy burst rifle, updated firing range options, and new players will be introduced to the game gradually in bot matches on Kings Canyon. These matches will have four human teams, and the rest will be bots.

Original post:

The next season of Apex Legends is set to release in a couple of weeks, and developers have been teasing a big reveal for Season 16 that fans are going to love. While speaking about the recently canceled Apex Legends single player title, it seems leaker Jeff Grubb may have spoiled the surprise:

"In two weeks from now Apex Legends is going to get team deathmatch, and that was always part of a plan to turn Apex Legends into this platform where you could get all kinds of different shooter experiences from an expanded Apex Legends / Titanfall world."

Good news for anyone who likes multiplayer shooters, but either isn't a fan of battle royale, or just wants something different for a change. If the leak is correct, we could get our first look at the new Deathmatch mode as early as Monday, when the first trailer is revealed.

Last edited:
Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Jennings

Now that this guy spoiled the Season 16 surprise, maybe the devs can unleash an even better kept secret and reveal something else amazing to surprise us with.

Arsic

If true I’d install and play again.

I generally wish Fortnite had a 6v6 tdm as well and that the no build had a ranked variant as well.

Most BRs are amazing but I am just very burnt out on the actual drop and loot loop.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Apex is the only game that can dethrone COD right now, at least in terms of addictive gunplay. I wonder if other modes like hardpoint etc. will be added in future. Team deathmatch mode has the risk of absorbing the entire player pool, let's see how it will affect the main BR mode. I think the BR mode was starting to lose its old charm anyway, so good to have some faster modes in Apex.

Ronin_7

Banned
Arenas is a 3 vs 3 round-based mode with revives but no respawns. This, according to other leakers, is said to be a traditional 6 vs 6 TDM mode that does include respawns.
In what Maps? Those maps are giant for 6v6... Are they bringing maps from Titanfall??? 🤯

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .this would get me to actually play the game with any real interest. BR is fine and all, but I can't do the one and done gameplay. . .not with my skills.

This also makes perfect sense. APEX isn't slowing down I don't think, but it is essentially a BR and a lot of people prefer more traditional TDM (or, dare we dream, actual objective based gameplay); seems like a fairly easy way to keep the health of the game strong.

In what Maps? Those maps are giant for 6v6... Are they bringing maps from Titanfall??? 🤯

I can't imagine it's particularly difficult to close off maps with a predetermined "fog of war" (as in every Battlefield game). That's if they just don't make new maps.

My guess is that the 3 vs 3 Arenas maps will be repurposed. We also know that some Titanfall 2 maps have been in datamined info for a long while now. Finally, they could always take some POI areas from the BR and rework them a bit as well. Plenty of possibilities, and that's not even getting into original maps that could be made for the mode.

I'm also curious if it will just be TDM at first, or if they'll launch with an assortment of game types.

Yep, it's real. Team Deathmatch at season launch on February 14th, and a permanent rotation of Control, Gunrun, and other LTMs coming in March. Players who play in the first week of the season will unlock Crypto for free, and players who play during the second week will unlock Ash.

Other major changes include a new class system for each of the legends, no new legend this season, buffs and nerfs for six existing legends, a new energy burst rifle, updated firing range options, and new players will be introduced to the game gradually in bot matches on Kings Canyon. These matches will have four human teams, and the rest will be bots.

Last edited:
Awful video.

"Battle Royale is dying" has been a popular YouTube title since 2017. Every year new ones pop up and every year BR continues to dominate.

See y'all in 2024 when "Battle Royale is dying" for the 8th year running.
I think he has a good point, at least when it comes to new games. No BR has been able to come anywhere close to competing with Apex, Fortnite, and COD, which is why I think at least a few BR titles have been canceled lately. Most of the upcoming free to play games I can think of are not Battle Royale games, and most of the BR games that have been released in the last few years or so have not done very well.

Also, I think the Macro video is clearly made by a guy who was just invited to play Apex Legends TDM mode, but isn't allowed to talk about it yet.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think he has a good point, at least when it comes to new games. No BR has been able to come anywhere close to competing with Apex, Fortnite, and COD, which is why I think at least a few BR titles have been canceled lately.
Well, we have to look at the games released after Apex Legends...

1. Call of Duty Blackout - Certainly completed with Apex Legends in terms of popularity.
2. Naraka Bladepoint - Massive success for its small developer.
3. HyperScape - Flopped
4. Rumbleverse - Flopped
5. Darwin Project - Flopped
6. Fall Guys - Massive success.
7. Spellbreak - Flopped

If we're judging games based on how financially competitive they are with Apex Legends then a loooot of genres should have ground to a halt already.
Most of the upcoming free to play games I can think of are not Battle Royale games, and most of the BR games that have been released in the last few years or so have not done very well.
Have not done very well compared to what genre? What multiplayer genre has a better hit rate than 3 out of 7?

People sleep on Battle Royale because they don't understand how universal it really is.

1. Begin your game weak.
2. Try to make it to the end goal.
3. Grow your character along the journey.

That's the description of a number of different, hugely popular genres. It's incredibly flexible in terms of crafting a unique experience.

It's deja vu.

Well, we have to look at the games released after Apex Legends...

1. Call of Duty Blackout - Certainly completed with Apex Legends in terms of popularity.
2. Naraka Bladepoint - Massive success for its small developer.
3. HyperScape - Flopped
4. Rumbleverse - Flopped
5. Darwin Project - Flopped
6. Fall Guys - Massive success.
7. Spellbreak - Flopped

Why only after Apex, when my argument was after apex, fortnite, and COD?

Have not done very well compared to what genre? What multiplayer genre has a better hit rate than 3 out of 7?

People sleep on Battle Royale because they don't understand how universal it really is.

1. Begin your game weak.
2. Try to make it to the end goal.
3. Grow your character along the journey.

By your own definition, Fall Guys is not a battle royale. That leaves us with one success (however minor it might be when compared the to big three), and many other failures, including several that you didn't list. Realm Royale, Radical Heights, the Battlefield BR, that one vampire BR I can't think of the name of, and that's just off the top of my head.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why only after Apex, when my argument was after apex, fortnite, and COD?

By your own definition, Fall Guys is not a battle royale. That leaves us with one success (however minor it might be when compared the to big three), and many other failures, including several that you didn't list. Realm Royale, Radical Heights, the Battlefield BR, that one vampire BR I can't think of the name of, and that's just off the top of my head.

I guess my question would be...What multiplayer genre has a better "hit rate" than Battle Royale right now?

Top Bottom