• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb - Starfield June 23, Hellblade 2 in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

Banned
I think people underestimate the audience for Diablo games. I also think that people do not understand just how much of a draw the total package of Skyrim was to people with the shouting Viking vibe. Starfield will obviously sell quite well but we have yet to see just how popular its take on sci-fi will be. I could be wrong obviously.
We aren't underestimating that game.
Diablo 4 is going to be big. But it's not going to overshadow Starfield.

June would be bad timing honestly because I have a kid on way due the first week. I won’t have time to play it if it comes out then.

Then again I guess if it does actually release then I can just wait for inevitable bug fixes anyways so maybe it doesn’t really matter either way.

FBeeEye

Banned
Starfield looks interesting to me but we all know Bethesda's track record with QA.
giphy.gif
This is a stupid trope at this point. Starfield is the first Bethesda game to launch on just one console, not multiple. On top of that, the game was supposed to be launched in November, but was delayed.

That's two huge reasons why "track record" doesn't mean anything this time around.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What if I told you that you didn't have to play them all at the same time...
I was half joking. But for big substantial RPGs like that, part of the excitement is exploring uncharted territory for the first time along with the rest of the gaming community.

It’s just not the same playing that kind of game months after release, when there are memes and spoilers everywhere, and gamers have already found every secret and figured out the “meta” and everybody knows the exact optimal way to play.

So I am just slightly bummed that my 3 most anticipated games are all coming out at the same time. (Of course that’s assuming they’ll all launch on time which is a big assumption)

Topher

Gold Member
This is a stupid trope at this point. Starfield is the first Bethesda game to launch on just one console, not multiple. On top of that, the game was supposed to be launched in November, but was delayed.

That's two huge reasons why "track record" doesn't mean anything this time around.

Starfield is launching on PC as well as Xbox so not sure why excluding PS would alleviate any QA issues or negate Bethesda's "track record". Hopefully, Microsoft funds have given Bethesda what they need to deliver a quality game at launch.

Sounds like something a Sony fan would say.

bentanchorbolt bentanchorbolt is an Xbox fan. Microsoft has had issues delivering first party games on a consistent basis so his doubt is warranted.

Are you truly unaware that Final Fantasy XVI isn’t getting a PC release until sometime down the line?

Where’s the overlap, when it isn’t on Xbox or PC?
I acutally had not considered this. Final Fantasy will be stuck on Playstation only for a while correct?
I'm actually more hopeful of a summer release for Starfield now. Sony doin the FF, Microsoft doin the SF, Nintendo doin the TOTK.

Dr_Ifto

They would need a time machine then as it is an UE5 title and that engine wasn't in full release until 2022.
It switched to unreal 5. I think in terms of relevance, it should have come out 2 years ago. Its just been so long now since the first came out, its ship may have sailed.

Only have time for D4 in June but maybe later.
You need to pace yourself, D4 you play a chapter take a breath play a chapter take a breath, Go back to home base and spend an hour with your inventory, upgrades, gems, armor, weapons.
At this point most people would play another chapter, Don't! Load up another game or go outside!

mckmas8808

Banned
It switched to unreal 5. I think in terms of relevance, it should have come out 2 years ago. Its just been so long now since the first came out, its ship may have sailed.

They shouldn't have shown it as early as they did. HellBlade2 shouldn't have come out 2 years ago though.

DavidGzz

I think people underestimate the audience for Diablo games. I also think that people do not understand just how much of a draw the total package of Skyrim was to people with the shouting Viking vibe. Starfield will obviously sell quite well but we have yet to see just how popular its take on sci-fi will be. I could be wrong obviously.

Yeah, take D3's numbers and add D1+D2 fans who were turned off by D3 and don't release a new game in the genre since 2012 and you have a recipe for some killer numbers. We'll see but I think it will be closer than people think. Blizzard has a huge fanbase and the darker tone of D4 is making people really excited from what I've seen. The "don't you guys have phones?" jokes have subsided and instead of constant hate on different social sites, I am seeing a lot of interest.

A week after Starfield releases, all of the petabytes of text wasted on whining about the delays will vanish into the ether as if it never happened, only to be replaced with exabytes of text on bugs.

Doesn't matter when it releases, this is destiny.

You are listening to the loses Jeff Grubb.. F him....

I will wait for MS to officially announce the date.
He’s honestly not far off most of the time. His track record is mixed, but so are all insiders. And bear in mind a lot of what these media/ insiders hear could be true but things are altered/ changed, or canceled all the time even at a late stage in development, so that’s the issue with second or third-hand information. It’s entirely possible/ very likely that Metroid Prime remake has been done for a while, and Nintendo’s been sitting on it solely to space out their Metroid releases. Given Prime 4 could still be 1-2 years out. Or it could be the opposite, maybe Prime 4 is actually this holiday. And so they see no point in putting out another Metroid title so soon after Dread when Prime 4 is only 2 years afterward.

He was spot-on with the Xbox predictions… the event, the scale of the event, the timing, and the shadow drop of Hi-Fi. And it’s far from the first time he’s been right.

He got a lot of grief for Wind Waker/ TP HD ports not happening last fall in the Direct. But who knows when the source that gave him that heard of the plans for those ports. No one doubts they are still in consideration for release/ were in consideration at some point. But for whatever reason Nintendo could’ve decided not to make them a priority for last year or this year. We just don’t know. But he only has info that people give him. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks he just makes stuff up.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If Starfield was in June, MS would rightfully be hyping it the fuck up ALREADY. I’m not expecting it before Fall.
I think they are shooting for June, but want to leave themselves the flexibility to move it out if needed. They said they were going to do a Starfield direct so the date won't be known until then.

Madflavor

Diablo and Final Fantasy are megalodon sized video game franchises. It would be silly to release in the same month as those two.

Sadly this is no longer true. Final Fantasy is not the behemoth franchise it once was, and to add, the Jrpg genre is a lot more niche these days than it used to. Even though FFXVI had an absolute banger of a trailer during TGA 2022, it wasn't even close to the most viewed trailer:
b7axfjar675a1.png

It's not surprising. Square had severely damaged the reputation of Final Fantasy during the 7th and 8th gen with the lack luster FFXIII Trilogy and FFXV. Even though FFXIV is amazing, not everyone likes MMOs, and while FFVII:R was met with tons of praise, a lot of fans hated that it was basically a ruse and not an actual remake. I think if FFXVI is a great game with great reviews and great word of mouth, it'll probably have very strong lifetime sales. But I'll be very surprised if it surpasses 4 million sales in it's first month.

I think they are shooting for June, but want to leave themselves the flexibility to move it out if needed. They said they were going to do a Starfield direct so the date won't be known until then.
Yeah. I think some people may think Bethesda is gonna decide when it launches, and for this particular game I just think there’s for sure more that goes into it than that. Xbox higher-ups for sure are going to be looped into the proper timing for when to release it, given it’s by far the biggest launch for Xbox in the last 5 years. Given holiday 2023 is 3 years into this console cycle, it’s entirely possible/ likely that Starfield will be the biggest AAA first-party launch for Series X|S. Elder Scrolls VI is likely not gonna make it til 2027, and we’ll be talking about a new console generation by then.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Diablo and Final Fantasy are megalodon sized video game franchises. It would be silly to release in the same month as those two.

They're big franchises, but using this one sample, they're not as big as some other anticipated games coming soon.

Sanepar

Actually he has been right many times. People just give him crap because he tends to leak positive Xbox news. We know that is the worst sin here.
Nah I'm really excited for both games. Most Starfield but I think it will come out on spring.

Besides that I'm still waiting for free xbox live.

Forget shadow dropping, just do what Apple does AND both companies should do it, they should just announce their products a week or so prior and then release it the following week. :D Dun, dun dun.
If it were up to Todd Howard alone, that’s what they’d do. He’s said many times if it were up to him, he’d opt for the least possible allowable time between announcement and release for their games.

NickFire

Was this the same guy who predicted Gold was on the verge of being discontinued, right before MS doubled the price (and then quickly reversed that)?

If it is, why is his speculation still given weight by anyone?

Havoc2049

If that was the case why wouldn’t they officially announce Starfields release date?
The Starfield Showcase is coming up in the next month or two.

There is also the rumor that there is going to be a Super Bowl (American Football) commercial for Starfield, so maybe there. If you go even deeper down the Starfield rumor rabbit hole, there is the rumor that the Starfiled launch date will be announced during the rumored Super Bowl commercial and the release date will be 3/23/23.

I'm not hyped in the slightest for Starfield. I guess the beauty of gamepass is I'll at least try it and make up my own mind. If it releases in June that would be fantastic for everyone waiting on this game.

I'm expecting a buggy underwhelming mess of a game. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

Hellblade 2 now we're talking. I hope that game turns out to be fantastic.
I mean, that is perfectly reasonable. It's logical to assume that Starfield won't be in the same vein as Skyrim in terms of mass appeal. Skyrim was a new entry in an already established ip, Starfield is a whole new ip in a different universe, plus the Creation engine is potentially vast in terms of the amount of lines of code it has, so I'm not really expecting it to be devoid of bugs. Not, when there's bugs in there that date back to when it was Gamebryo(more than two decades ago). Will it have the same success? Maybe, although time will tell. It has my attention for the time being and I might pick it on Steam when it releases, but not until I see more.I'm not expecting it to be as successful as Skyrim though. Those are my two cents for the time being.

Last edited:

demigod

Yeah, take D3's numbers and add D1+D2 fans who were turned off by D3 and don't release a new game in the genre since 2012 and you have a recipe for some killer numbers. We'll see but I think it will be closer than people think. Blizzard has a huge fanbase and the darker tone of D4 is making people really excited from what I've seen. The "don't you guys have phones?" jokes have subsided and instead of constant hate on different social sites, I am seeing a lot of interest.
Oh man this is me except I bought the game. Loved D1, never played D2. Bought D3 and thought it sucked balls. I beat the game and quit.

DavidGzz

Oh man this is me except I bought the game. Loved D1, never played D2. Bought D3 and thought it sucked balls. I beat the game and quit.

I stuck it out for the long haul. I do understand those who dropped it though! I play each season at least a couple of weeks. I personally think they turned it around with Reaper of Souls. Still, I do not like the art style or color scheme. Give me D3 gameplay and D1's dark tone with better itemization and you have me really excited.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Was this the same guy who predicted Gold was on the verge of being discontinued, right before MS doubled the price (and then quickly reversed that)?

If it is, why is his speculation still given weight by anyone?

Because he's had a ton of correct predictions as well. Literally no one gets every scoop/leak correct, but Grubb has a history of hitting more than he misses.

NickFire

Because he's had a ton of correct predictions as well. Literally no one gets every scoop/leak correct, but Grubb has a history of hitting more than he misses.
I don't know man. I feel like half of us on this forum could make educated guesses that come true more often than not. No way I'll be convinced someone has high level information who goes out and says things so remarkable wrong as the Gold issue. Just my opinion of course.

anthony2690

Banned
Not going to lie Diablo 4 is lower than expected. (Only expected it to be behind the known licensed ips like star wars/suicide squad)

I'm still surprised to how much interest there is in armoured core as it has never really been a big franchise, but I guess a lot more eyes are on from software after elden ring.

I think diablo 3 had 30 million units sold annouced 7 or 8 years ago & more recently announced it had over 65 million players (I know this isn't sales)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't know man. I feel like half of us on this forum could make educated guesses that come true more often than not. No way I'll be convinced someone has high level information who goes out and says things so remarkable wrong as the Gold issue. Just my opinion of course.

Grubb has correctly predicted exactly when Nintendo Directs, the Xbox Games Showcase, the PS5 reveal, etc.. etc.. would occur, oftentimes predicting weeks in advance.

He also leaked the Multiversus game and details about it, the Mass Effect Remasters, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the Fable reboot, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the EA Play/Game Pass merge, Forza Horizon 5 taking place in Mexico, Starfield being exclusive to Xbox/PC, etc.. etc..

Again, that's not to say he doesn't get things wrong. He does. But he clearly has insider information. He's not just guessing.

Last edited:

demigod

Morrowind says hi.

Chukhopops

If you look at trends Diablo IV and Starfield are comparable with Diablo slightly ahead.

FFXVI is waaay below those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom