• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Minter Xbox 360 interview

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Speevy said:
He's going to develop an Xbox 360 game by himself for a whole generation before cancelling it.

:lol :lol

jgkspsx

Minter, unlike Molyneaux, does not try to make himself overrated. He's done great stuff in the past and, no matter what you say about him, is quite a genius coder.

Gridrunner++, a revamp of an old Speccy Llamasoft game, is a fantastic little thing and well worth a try. It'd be ace on the DS.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Bitch and moan all you want...

the 360 has a minter VLM built in?!?!??!?!?!?!
FUCK YEA BABY!!!

and you can control it. DAMN, that's a freking killer idea. Nice

Sho Nuff

Banned
The hate you people spew just makes the taste of the X360 VLM even more sweet. The cries of fanboys are the ultimate percussion!

Monk

Banned
... the music and the graphics don't seem to mix. I suppose it's just and idea of what you would expect?

FightyF

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Minter, like Molyneux, is overrated.

Over-rated by whom?

There is some buzz by longtime gamers when he speaks...but it's not like we go gaga. I've heard he's a great programmer. I really like Tempest...but other than I respect him for being a prominent figure in the industry. Few people have accomplished what he has. What I'm saying is that he deserves all the respect that he gets. On the other hand...I don't see anyone putting him on a pedastel.

Prine

Banned
etiolate said:
What? PC in a console box is a departure how? Buying up companies to make games for it?

MS approached Jeff Minter about the idea of sticking his work in every Xbox 360. Jeff said he wanted his work to reach an many people as possible, the idea of millions enjoying his lightsynth was too good of an offer to pass up.

Prine

Banned
Monk said:
Please do, you will make MS lose even more money!

And at the same time becoming a statistic for MS to show off to publishers and the media, its all about install base you know

jimbo

Banned
Ok maybe I am not seeing something, but that video looks just like my windows media player visualization. What's so special about this again? Are we supposed to sit in front of the screen and stare at that stuff? Because unless that comes with 2 or 3 hits of acid, it just doesn't do anything for me.

jimbo said:
Ok maybe I am not seeing something, but that video looks just like my windows media player visualization. What's so special about this again? Are we supposed to sit in front of the screen and stare at that stuff? Because unless that comes with 2 or 3 hits of acid, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Dude, it's built into the 360 as a nice little extra, so why all the hate? Use it or don't. I think it would be a nice way to unwind after a rough day at work, sit in the recliner listen to some relaxing music streaming from my PC, watching the VLM for a few minutes. It's also something nice to put on the TV when you have a party.

Turing99

Neo Member
Jeff Minter’s a genius - he goes out with his chaps and gets a bit of curry and beer, goes home to his farm in Wales to chill out with his pets in the beautiful countryside, sleeps a little, wakes up at 2am, codes until the sun rises, goes to sleep again, repeat it all the next day.

He’s basically a coding and mathematical monster – compared to the atrocity of Trevor McFur and other horrible early Jaguar games Jeff’s games were a masterpiece of pixel pushing and he deserves all the respect he gets.

There are few people in the world on his level, who can sit down and bang out a whole game from Start screen to High Score screen in a weekend on an unfamiliar architecture. So the difference between his games and others is his ability to single handedly create something which is not only unique, but also includes a level of polish and hand crafted magic which is much too rare in games these days.

rastex

Banned
jimbo said:

If you actually read the interview you'd see that it's not just a passive show, users can interact with Neon with all four controllers, each controller modifying different layers (whatever those are). And it seems to be more than just simple manipulators as he specifies the use of many buttons on the controller. It's not worth $50 by itself by any means, but that's why it's coming bundled with the system and makes for a nice little extra.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It sounds half VJ software, half visualiser, and as much about manipulating the visuals in realtime as watching them.

Interesting that Unity had a similar thing built-in as well, and that they once took a GC to a club in London and used it to do the visuals :)

Atleast something good has come out of the whole Unity fiasco.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Minter, unlike Molyneaux, does not try to make himself overrated. He's done great stuff in the past and, no matter what you say about him, is quite a genius coder.

Look, I love Jeff and all, but really, he remixed Defender and Tempest. That is why he is famous. Oh, and this light synth thing rules. i use my Xbox for playing music and I do the X/Y "cheat" to do the full screen light synth. Better than screen burn-in.

Chiggs

Stinkles said:
Look, I love Jeff and all, but really, he remixed Defender and Tempest. That is why he is famous.

Hahaha! Yeah, I always wondered why and how he became this cult icon in the industry.

DJ Sl4m

The music player visual program he wrote is right up his alley, games are not his forte.

I agree with him being overated, but I'll say he his more overated than Molyneux.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
People should do some research!

It's his 8-bit games that made him a legend. Nearly everything he did had really interesting ideas, and things you hadn't seen before - Hellgate, Ancipital and Iridis Alpha especially. His games were some of the most experimental you could get back then.

He'd earned his stripes far before his 'remixes' of Tempest and Defender.

Look, I love Jeff and all, but really, he remixed Defender and Tempest. That is why he is famous.

Tell me the name of the guys who did the remixes of Battlezone, Centipede, Pong, Frogger, et al.

Minter can do some great games, even if they aren't always wholly original. And sometimes he misses the mark.

I think there's a decent shot that we'll see some great psychedelic games from him in the future, and if some are derivative, I could care less.

And the light show is free, so no bitching.

DJ Sl4m

Nash said:
People should do some research!

It's his 8-bit games that made him a legend. Nearly everything he did had really interesting ideas, and things you hadn't seen before - Hellgate, Ancipital and Iridis Alpha especially. His games were some of the most experimental you could get back then.

Yea...........& who doesn't know this by now ?
he's stuck in the past on every project I've seen him promote or get involved with, he seems to concerned with trippy visuals & remakes ever since the Jaguar.

Stinkles

WTF are you talking about? I was referring to like, Attack of the Mutant Camels (Atari 400 Defender ripoff from 19-Oatcake), not the fucking Jaguar stuff.

And like I said, I still love Jeff.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stinkles said:
WTF are you talking about? I was referring to like, Attack of the Mutant Camels (Atari 400 Defender ripoff from 19-Oatcake), not the fucking Jaguar stuff.

And like I said, I still love Jeff.

How many of his games did you play then? Cos a lot of his 8-bit stuff is pretty unique, and most of his games included very interesting ideas for the time - controlling 2 or 4 ships at once in a shoot 'em up by separating horizontal/vertical movement, simultaneous splitscreen control, the use of the sides of the screen in Ancipital etc. Considering the limitations of the 8-bit machines, he was very experimental and showed a really good understanding of what makes a good game. Anciptal, Hover Bovver, Iridis Alpha, Hellgate, Laser Zone, Hellgate ... all very interesting games for their time. And even his games like Gridrunner and Sheep In Space which were directly inspired by the arcade games of the time still managed to introduce their own ideas into the mix.

And Attack Of The Mutant Camels owed more to Empire Strikes Back on the VCS than it did Defender :p

DJ Sl4m said:
Yea...........& who doesn't know this by now ?
he's stuck in the past on every project I've seen him promote or get involved with, he seems to concerned with trippy visuals & remakes ever since the Jaguar.

The man is not overrated, he's one of the originals of the UK games industry. And it's not really surprising that he hasn't adapted to an industry where the average game has a huge team and a huge budget behind it when he started in a time when you did everything your self.

If I was him I'd probably stick to light synths as well. Atleast that is something still do-able by himself, and he can do what he wants with it.

DJ Sl4m

Nash said:
he's one of the originals of the UK games industry. And it's not really surprising that he hasn't adapted to an industry where the average game has a huge team and a huge budget behind it when he started in a time when you did everything your self.

If I was him I'd probably stick to light synths as well. Atleast that is something still do-able by himself, and he can do what he wants with it.

Very True.

Stinkles

I played almost everything he ever did, but again, GAF noise drowned out the point - he's FAMOUS for ripping off Defender, not for his quirky control schemes. And his innovative games, while cool at first, didn't stand the test of time at all - they were experimental and neat, but mostly too experimental.

ziran

Nash said:

i agree.

iridis alpha is my personal fave.

i admire minter, i think he's great, unlike Molyneux who is average at best imo.

and trippy visuals rock :D

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stinkles said:
I played almost everything he ever did, but again, GAF noise drowned out the point - he's FAMOUS for ripping off Defender, not for his quirky control schemes. And his innovative games, while cool at first, didn't stand the test of time at all - they were experimental and neat, but mostly too experimental.

It was a piss-take version of Empire Strikes Back, not a rip-off of Defender!

He got famous for making a load of offbeat games that featured excessive amounts of animals in them. You may not think they've held up, that's your opinion. I happen to think those games had a lot of interesting ideas in them, and there was no one else doing things like he was at the time.

That's as good a reason to be famous as any in my books. Shouldn't you be on Archer Maclean's case or something? ;)

Top Bottom