• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Ross reveals details on pitch for Days Gone 2

Spaceman292

Banned
Imagine THAT being your Days Gone 2 pitch. They seem like OK people but my God that's vanilla without the flavoring. Bend was probably correct on moving on from them and Days Gone.
'Dude, imagine a game centered around a boring married couple who don't really like each other...AND you can swim. Where's my money?'
What a mega pitch

Last edited:

Killer8

The ongoing pity party by the directors of this game is one of the most embarrassing things i've seen in some time.

Just take the L. You botched the launch, people didn't buy it, and even the fixed version was mediocre. Move on.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The ongoing pity party by the directors of this game is one of the most embarrassing things i've seen in some time.

Just take the L. You botched the launch, people didn't buy it, and even the fixed version was mediocre. Move on.

John is a fantastic soul and takes all the blame and even says that he deserves to be sacked. Jeff is just a sore thumb that will never let go. John even said that he can't really think of how they can go forward with a sequel and only holds high praise to Sony. Seems a bit defensive to Sony as well despite being sacked, tells you a lot of how good they were with him.

Yoboman

My feeling on Sony Bend is they seem to have a ton of talent but it was all done on solid gameplay and systems ideas. Days Gone seemed to lack the director's touch to pull it all together into a unique, interesting package that moves it from good to great.

If they have that person replacing the old directors now then their next game could deliver something special

Reminds me of Sony Santa Monica. God of War Ascension obviously had a lot of great stuff going for it but it lacked the quality directors touch of the reboot or the ones before it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My feeling on Sony Bend is they seem to have a ton of talent but it was all done on solid gameplay and systems ideas. Days Gone seemed to lack the director's touch to pull it all together into a unique, interesting package that moves it from good to great.

If they have that person replacing the old directors now then their next game could deliver something special

The map is just perfect, you end up memorizing every individual car/house that you've looted as shit doesn't just get replenished the next time you pass by. Also there are many small secrets across the map that you could stumble upon. With John saying that it's probably more than $200M budget, it's fair that Sony made the studio shift focus on a new, bigger game/new IP instead of a sequel with no clear vision. It could be just how SuckerPunch went from Infamous to Ghost of Tsushima level, or Naughty Dog from Crash Bandicoot to Uncharted and TLOU.

Yoboman

The map is just perfect, you end up memorizing every individual car/house that you've looted as shit doesn't just get replenished the next time you pass by. Also there are many small secrets across the map that you could stumble upon. With John saying that it's probably more than $200M budget, it's fair that Sony made the studio shift focus on a new, bigger game/new IP instead of a sequel with no clear vision. It could be just how SuckerPunch went from Infamous to Ghost of Tsushima level, or Naughty Dog from Crash Bandicoot to Uncharted and TLOU.
inFamous was always good though, and Nate Fox has always been director there. You could always see the vision in his games, I always felt that their games were more limited by budget than anything.

But yeah there are a lot of examples of Sony moving on from a good property to an even better one. Resistance to Spiderman, Killzone to Horizon are others

Aion002

“Yeah, they’re back together, but maybe they’re not happy,” he explains. “Well, what can we do with that? Okay, we were married before the apocalypse, but what about the future?

Mario Lopez Football GIF

Wtf?! A young couple that loves each other survives in an zombie apocalypse, what do they do about the future?

make love sexo GIF by Refinery29

Someone gotta repopulate earth... No time to be unhappy.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Of course, Sony and Sony Bend both say that the studio's next game is going to build on the systemic and emergent strengths of Days Gone. In that, the new IP might be able to avoid a lot of the same pitfalls that proved to be major stumbling blocks for their previous game.

If Bend can bring over a lot of the technology and ideas that they established with Days Gone and refine them further with their next game, they might be able to deliver a much better received product, especially if they can avoid the internal strife that Days Gone's production seemingly suffered.

Sure, it'll always be disappointing that Days Gone isn't going to get the sequel that so many people feel it deserved- but hopefully the future is going to look brighter for Bend, because above all else, it's clear that under the right circumstances, the studio is capable of making the kind of game Sony wants it to make.

Arun1910

Nailed it my friend! I'm willing to bet this is under deep and I mean DEEP NDA and it's being worked on. No doubts in my mind. The first game is phenomenal. Sony would be crazy not to allow Bend to follow
it up. And then we have semantics. We have Sony saying Bend is working on something else now. Ok, yeah they're not gonna say "Days Gone 2" but rather it's under some code name like "Red Snow" or something.
If it was under deep NDA they wouldn't have just revealed their pitch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

hes-right-you-know.jpg

I was impressed by the zombies in Days Gone right up until I played World War Z...

tumblr_plq91hzTQW1si4jeeo6_500.gif

Which managed to eclipse the whole zombie horde gimic with a relatively tiny budget and half the time. Yes I know Open World vs Coop shooter... but still, I found World War Z far more enjoyable as its constant action and gets to the point.

Last edited:

yurinka

This, plus other ideas he mentioned in the past like bike gang related features like having coop or a headquarter, and not sure if bike gang factions with territories, would have been awesome.

Let's hope that the Bend Studio boss, who blocked the pitch of the sequel from being submitted to non-Bend PS Studios bosses, changes his mind or they fire him. I want them to have a 2nd team making Days Gone 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom