• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jenna Ortega Not Returning For ‘Scream 7’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Jenna-Ortega-Scream.jpg

Jenna Ortega, who was a lynchpin draw in getting Scream VI to the horror franchise’s best opening grosses ever at $44.4M stateside, $67M global, isn’t expected to return for Scream VII, we hear from sources.

This has nothing to do with the fallout from Melissa Barrera‘s firing yesterday by Spyglass Media over that actress’ social media repostings on the Hamas-Israel conflict; nor does it have to do with the actress asking for an end to her Scream contract. Ortega and Barrera played sisters in 2022’s Scream and this year’s Scream VI respectively as Tara and Sam Carpenter.

Power Pro

Even though I don't agree with their decision to fire the other actress, I am fine with both of their characters being gone. I didn't like how they were trying to make them into being the new main characters. It just felt so forced, especially after Wednesday was a hit, they were starting to sideline the other actress even more, even though Scream 5 clearly leaned towards her being the main character, not Jenna Ortega.

Neve Campbell was shoehorned into her own franchise with Scream 5, and short changed for Scream 6. It was so stupid. She's still also absolutely gorgeous even today, and when you got someone like her who was still willing to do the role, why fuck it up like that?

Scream 4 was the last one I still really liked. It felt like a great continuation to the original trilogy, and fit right in. Scream 5 was so stupid how they basically made the new killers to be...toxic fans. -_- Meanwhile, don't forget everyone, this black chick is a lesbian! Don't forget!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They should bring all four back and kill them in the opening scene, people will know it’s coming but they could still get creative with it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly I wasn't fond of the new cast and nothing improved in the VI.
They always seemed to be there just for the ride
Scream 5 had Neve, Courtney & David
And 6 had Courtney & Hayden
I don't think anyone really gave a dam about the new characters other than oh that's the one that plays Wednesday!!
Those was the stars and the others where just there.
But Mason Gooding has grown on me though
but his character and his sister should be dead with how much they have been stabbed multiple times in both films, seriously the films have the highest survivor rate in the series
At least with Dewey it was a on going joke and believable to an extent.
those fuckers get stabbed to death and just pop up the end all okay.
Jenna was okay in Scream VI, not much to go on V as she didn't do much.
but honestly if they Neve Campbell & Hayden Panettiere back for VII as the main ones along side Courteney Cox and Patrick Dempsey & I suppose the twins 🙄
but they need a new Dewey & Randy, all previous cast members in the series and David Arquette added that comedic charm to the series which Courteney could work with.
the Twins aren't funny.
VII will be fine if that managed that and probably be a big improvement over the previous two entries.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So the 2 hot stars that breathed new life into the franchise are now gone. This shit is dead. The story won’t even make any sense without them 2.

Just end it at 6. It had a solid ending, albeit a small cliffhanger

Last edited:

Doom85

So the 2 hot stars that breathed new life into the franchise are now gone. This shit is dead. The story won’t even make any sense without them 2.

Just end it at 6. It had a solid ending, albeit a small cliffhanger

Yeah, I’m fine with it ending on 6. I can’t agree with those saying simply bringing back Sydney will fix everything, she only was relevant to 5 purely due to what happened to Dewey, I feel any attempts to tie her to yet another new Ghostface will feel really forced at this point (I mean, we’ve had a boyfriend, boyfriend’s mother, half-brother, and cousin, just how many more murderous people can she possibly get close to or have an established connection with?), plus at some point it’s hard to believe some psychopath wouldn’t put two and two together and realize messing with the individual who has defeated countless Ghostface killers is not to be fucked with.

Honestly, it made the killers in 6 at least smart in that regard, they only targeted the newer characters and IIRC Gale only shows up on her own making and not without the killers luring her there, they didn’t try to foolishly bait Sydney intentionally like the killers in 5. Sure, they still lost, but at least they had enough sense to not mess with the OG herself.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Seems like a common theme with a lot of these new younger actresses, don't it? Rachel Zeigler did what? west side story, and then starting acting like an entitled bitch cuz she was cast as snow white. Never even heard of her until she started acting all stuck up, and entitled.
That's the purpose of it. ANY visibility is good visibility. Even if you hate her you at least know OF her and she can parlay that into more pay/control.

The real way to deal with folks like this is total apathy. The one thing they can't stand is being ignored.

jason10mm

Gold Member
hard to believe some psychopath wouldn’t put two and two together and realize messing with the individual who has defeated countless Ghostface killers is not to be fucked with.
See, that could be the hook. Scream started as a meta movie about using the "rules" of horror movies to survive one, so you can twist that around.

Horror movies are perpetual evergreens because it's not really the plot driving the Fandom, it's the cool kills, the girls, and the thrill of the hunt. So Scream can easily remold itself as needed so long as there are good scares and gore.

tkscz

Seems like a common theme with a lot of these new younger actresses, don't it? Rachel Zeigler did what? west side story, and then starting acting like an entitled bitch cuz she was cast as snow white. Never even heard of her until she started acting all stuck up, and entitled.
The cherry on top? Every film she's in bombs. West Side Story? Bombed. SHAZAM: Fury of the Gods? Bombed. Her newest film is Hunger Games: Ballad of Song Birds and Snakes and it's having it's lunch eaten by Trolls 3. I honestly don't see how she keeps landing rolls with a track record like that.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Even if that clip helped, Jenna correcting some lines to the writers was already a (red) flag.
I liked Jenna a lot in Wednesday, but everytime I hear some news, looks more like a spoiled little kid.

I wish that her edits had helped make the show more entertaining/Addam’s Family feeling. Probably the worst Adam’s Family outside of the CGI Cartoon for me. No where near as good as the 60s show or 90s movies.

Winter John

Gold Member
It is an absolute tragedy that the only way kids these days discover legendary bands like The Cramps is through these bullshit tv shows. On the plus side my kid thought I was cool for about a minute or two when she realised The Cramps are one of them bands I blast out when I’m drunk as fuck. I fuckin love that band.

Even if that clip helped, Jenna correcting some lines to the writers was already a (red) flag.
I liked Jenna a lot in Wednesday, but everytime I hear some news, looks more like a spoiled little kid.
In a lot of ways like the old stories of Bill Murray.

She was a child actress though, it’s not at all surprising she has a bit of a diva/dick streak…they literally grew up having people worship them up to the point they are responsible for their own actions, and the whole point up to that likely sucked and was lonely as hell…they didn’t have a a childhood..their childhood was work..

Last edited:

Power Pro

I wish that her edits had helped make the show more entertaining/Addam’s Family feeling. Probably the worst Adam’s Family outside of the CGI Cartoon for me. No where near as good as the 60s show or 90s movies.
Those first 2 90s movies are bonafide classics imo. The casting was so spot on, and they're just funny as heck.

In a lot of ways like the old stories of Bill Murray.

She was a child actress though, it’s not at all surprising she has a bit of a diva/dick streak…they literally grew up having people worship them up to the point they are responsible for their own actions, and the whole point up to that likely sucked and was lonely as hell…they didn’t have a a childhood..their childhood was work..

YCoCg

Henry Caval correcting writers during The Witcher = Strong, inspiring, he's a fan of the material so he knows

Jenna Ortega correcting writers during Wednesday = Spoiled brat, huge ego, what does she know, the writers know best!

The hate she gets on this forum is really weird when she's just doing stuff she prefers, even in this case, she chose Wednesday over Scream 7 which any actor would with how it's crumbling.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Henry Caval correcting writers during The Witcher = Strong, inspiring, he's a fan of the material so he knows

Jenna Ortega correcting writers during Wednesday = Spoiled brat, huge ego, what does she know, the writers know best!

The hate she gets on this forum is really weird when she's just doing stuff she prefers, even in this case, she chose Wednesday over Scream 7 which any actor would with how it's crumbling.
Yeah it doesn't make sense. Everyone should want actors to actually CARE about the products they are apart of. If every actor was just an automaton that just blurts out whatever the writers give them with no changes or discussion there wouldn't be any good movies or shows. It's actors ad-libbing and making changes based on what they think the character would do that makes characters relatable and iconic.

Robin Williams might be the most legendary example of this. He ad-libbed everything he ever did and almost never stuck to the script. He always tweaked the characters and the script. Cavill did it with the Witcher. Johnny Depp did it with Pirates of the Caribbean. So if you loved it when people like Cavill, Johnny Depp, or Robin Williams did it, but hate it when someone like Ortega does the same exact thing then you need to have a conversation with yourself about why that is. Because something somewhere isn't adding up.

bitbydeath

Wednesday would have been trash if she didn’t fix it.

“Everything that Wednesday does, everything I had to play, did not make sense for her character at all. Her being in a love triangle? It made no sense. There was a line about a dress she has to wear for a school dance and she says, ‘Oh my god I love it. Ugh, I can’t believe I said that. I literally hate myself.’ I had to go, ‘No.’ There were times on that set where I even became almost unprofessional in a sense where I just started changing lines.

Blade2.0

Just recast their characters and stay the course. I'm fine without any of the Old crew coming back.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

Jenna correcting the writers makes sense as she proved how she really as time passed by.
I never, and I mean, never, criticised her for that. But I do now since more of the big picture is being discovered.

Dural

Those first 2 90s movies are bonafide classics imo. The casting was so spot on, and they're just funny as heck.

Absolutely! I saw both at the theater as a kid and had them on VHS. My kids also love them, they were just watching Values in the car on Sunday. My daughter even dressed as Wednesday a couple years ago for Halloween because of the 90s movies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thats great to here, she's a promising actress, wasting her career on horror franchises would be a giant waste.

Agree. I think she's a great actress and her taking an interest in writing shows she's not just an empty vessel, as so many in her line of work tend to be. Artists should be a bit dickish.

Sonik

Studio tries to cancel actress, loses tons of cash since both the cast and director bails out on a franchise that was an easy cashcow. It's wonderful to witness

wipeout364

They don’t need her or any of them. They need to take some time and hire someone to write a kickass script then go from there. All of these actors and directors are disposable. Does anyone see Jenny Ortega or Melissa Berrera or Christopher Landon on the poster and say “I have got to get my ass to the theater to see that movie.” No they say hey there is ghostface and I loved Scream 1 and 2 I really hope this one is good despite the last 4 kind of sucking.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lmao just cancel the movie at this point. At this point it’s not the continuation of part 6

Last edited:

Sonik

How did they lose a lot of cash?

The project is dead now and they have to restart the entire franchise which means it'll take years until there's a new movie. And given that they'll restart it from scratch it doesn't guarantee easy profit anymore, the dipshits have even pissed off Neve Campbell who I seriously doubt will help them in the new transition, unless of course they pay her ridiculous sums of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom