• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan ‘feels bad’ Sony won’t be able meet PS5 demand for ‘some time’ yet

Unknown?

You could be right.

There are factor's to consider though... like Covid. Why did Nintendo benefit from it so much but not the PS4 and Xbox One in 2020? Is it because Xbox One and PS4 were old and on the way out, or was it because they are stationary consoles which consumers found less appealing during Covid times? It really is hard to make sense of it all because we're in uncharted territory.

Maybe a launch Playstation or even Xbox would have broken 20 million during Covid times. Maybe not, but the unfortunate reality is unless they can ship enough out, they're the ones who will be missing out on all the extra sales that could have been accumulated when the iron was hot so to speak.
PS4 and Xbox One are old and people knew their successors were coming soon. Plus PS4 is STILL $299 and hasn't come down in price at all for years.

Quasicat

I know how Jim feels:

sad panda GIF by South Park

ksdixon

I don't fully understand his statement.

They've sold more PS'S than comparative to PS4's in the same amount of time. Furthermore even older PS5 games take a 200% or whatever jump in sales once they get new stock in customers hands. The thing is selling.

This all just sounds like fluff comments justify PS4 cross releases/development.

NickFire

I feel bad how much money we are missing out on
They could have easily sold 20 - 30 million by now if they were available. Long wait between generations, brand loyalty, increased amount of people playing every year, lockdowns, and above all else, the US government essentially paying for them in the US with stimulus money = 30 million sales with ease.

Last edited:

MikeM

PS5 supply will meet demand once the PS5 Pro comes out. Because everyone will be buying those up over OG PS5.

GIF by Identity

Last edited:
No you're sick because you actually believe Sony sold alot of PS5s to scalpers. We know for a fact that this isn't true.
No, that's not what I said at all, and you are making yourself look foolish for suggesting it. At no point did I state that Sony specifically sold units to Scalpers, but that Scalpers with their bots snatched many of them up from official retailers. Retailers are not intentionally selling them to scalpers, but scalpers are getting them anyway and then turning around and selling them for 700-1000 dollars. A friend of mine bought 2 and sold them each for 800 dollars. I told him how I feel about that, but it's money for him because idiots out there will do it instead of being patient.

no problem jim. i've decided i don't want your console anymore. alright, maybe in 2-3 years i might get one if there's more than 1 game i want to play. always owned a Playstation but PS5 is a huge disappointment with no reason to buy (except maybe to play my PS4 games lol). as soon as i can get a Series X i'm good

Does anyone remember the Nintendo Switch launch shortage? I remember it was some time before you were able to walk into a Walmart or GameStop and grab one off the shelf...and that was 2017.
don't remember that at all. it's always been easy to get hold of a switch. well, the end of 2020 i did notice a bit of a shortage but seems back to normal now.

maybe in the USA but not here.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
They could have easily sold 20 - 30 million by now if they were available. Long wait between generations, brand loyalty, increased amount of people playing every year, lockdowns, and above all else, the US government essentially paying for them in the US with stimulus money = 30 million sales with ease.
If this is true, Sony is being sent back majorly for PS5's lifetime sales.

There won't come another opportunity like this.

The alleged chip shortage will end in 2023, when the Covid effect will essentially be over.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
is there a way to find out how many of those 10 million are actually in the hands of gamers and not just scalpers? Those are the only numbers I care about.
?

There is very little consoles in scalpers hands... to be fair near none... because they already sold it or try to sell as fast as possible to gamers.
A unit scalped today got sold tomorrow.

If scalpers get to hold console then it is time to stop scalping at all.... scalper doesn't work if there are not selling them fast.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

doubt so...this is just a CEO chest thumping and hyping

My guess without the shortages, maybe 11-12m instead of 10m. The usual inflationary increase.

console demand afaics are not on some super scale upswing. There is no indications of that i see around me. 🤷‍♀️

giphy.gif

Marty-McFly

Banned
I just read 25% of PS5 consoles have never been used once

The attach rate for software is also very low.

What's going on?

Derktron

Banned

What's going on?

That is because 24% of those consoles are collecting dust because of the scalpers who have them and charge $1000 for a fucking PS5. I would not even pay a damn iPhone and I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max

Marty-McFly

Banned
You're probably just imagining things. Don't worry the PS5 is doing extremely well.
I'm really not sure what your response even means. PS5 is obviously going to do great, but the low attach rate and user activity probably points to an obscene amount of panhandling and scalping.

I have to admit it was kinda hype getting a ps5. I had notifications on for wario and waited in those dumb ass lines from sony direct. Then I got one and now I barely touch the thing.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The goodthing is that I missed a lot of PS4 games so that's what I'm using it for because at sold my PS4.

I don't really know what some people are talking about PS5 having the greatest lineup ever. To this day there's only + PS5 game that might be worth getting, Ratchet. All the other games are crossgen, remakes or indies. After 9 months there's only one game, I don't remember anything like it. And if you look at xbox is even worse, they don't have a single game lmaoooo.

Honestly, what games do these systems even have?
The ps5, and the series console have no games majority of people wants.
The only big next gen is nichie games, majority of people have no interest in.

Halo, forza, horizon forbidden, God of war 2, GT are all on previous gen. 3rd party games are still on previous gen.

I dont see that much incentive for people to switch. Unless 3rd party games, go to next gen consoles, it will take time for people to buy next gen consoles.

Shortage or not, it depends on the how 3rd party and 1st party games act.
There are no games man. I bought into the hype, I'd never bought a console at launch before. This is my first and last time, this things has just 1, one proper game, ratchet. And that came just a month ago. There's nothing else to play and I guarantee you everyone plays ps4 games or just don't use it at all.

I'm really not sure what your response even means. PS5 is obviously going to do great, but the low attach rate and user activity probably points to an obscene amount of panhandling and scalping.

I mean I don't think it means there's a serious issue with the system. The demand is absolutely crazy right now which is why we are having issues with scalping. It doesn't necessarily indicate a poor performance of the system which is what I thought you were trying to say.

Unknown?

There are no games man. I bought into the hype, I'd never bought a console at launch before. This is my first and last time, this things has just 1, one proper game, ratchet. And that came just a month ago. There's nothing else to play and I guarantee you everyone plays ps4 games or just don't use it at all.
No wonder your previous post says what it does, you've never bought a launch console. People are saying it's good because it blows away what was available on PS1-4 at launch. Being cross gen doesn't matter because previous gens wouldn't even have cross gen games thus nothing to play.

Last edited:

RayHell

is there a way to find out how many of those 10 million are actually in the hands of gamers and not just scalpers? Those are the only numbers I care about.
Scalpers aren't creating demand, they just capitalize on it. Meaning without scalpers the demand would be the same and it would still be OOS.

No wonder your previous post says what it does, you've never bought a launch console. People are saying it's good because it blows away what was available on PS1-4 at launch. Being cross gen doesn't matter because previous gens wouldn't even have cross gen games thus nothing to play.
Lol, what are you talking about? PS4 had kill zone at launch, that would be the equivalent of ratchet. It also had a lot of crossgen games obviously proper PS4 versions not like the PS5 where you are just aging PS4 versions in BC mode

www.gamesradar.com/amp/how-do-the-ps5-launch-titles-compare-to-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-playstation/

Last edited:

yurinka

What's going on?

Both that quote of 25% PS5 never been used and attach rate being low are lies. That 25% can be people who never played Astro or weren't connected to Internet (if their numbers are correct, may not be the case).

We know PS4 has over 80M monthly active users, and saw several games selling more in PS4 even if it had under 10M units sold, so we know people are buying a lot of games there. One of them was Morales (the only exclusive with potential great sales released since launch), which at the end of the year had an attachment rate of around 50%. And this is on PlayStation, where thanks to having a way bigger library of great games their sales are less focused of a few games, specially when the at least the biggest selling multiplatform games that we know their (or their company's) hardware user split share, all of them have PS as the platform with the biggest amount of players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom