• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan confirms Sony ‘has more studio acquisitions planned’ (VGC)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Which one? The 'big' one mentioned by the 'leakers' and 'insiders'? According to them Sony was going to announce it last week. But guess what, it was made up bullshit to get attention and that acquisition never existed.

Wasn’t the leakers just making noise for the PS+ change?

Lognor

Banned
Just a guess on my part. It just makes sense given Sony's current moves(EVO etc). Even Microsoft will have to cool their current buying spree after snatching up Activision Blizzard. Which isn't even official. If it doesn't happen they definitely have the money to snatch up all of WB games.

ALSO, who is the WE in this?
Emotion Reaction GIF
LOL, typing on a phone. My bad.

WB is under AT&T which is publicly traded. So Sony trying to scoop up WB games will face the same type of scrutiny that Microsoft is facing now. So Sony is unlikely to even try to make that play. And I doubt Microsoft would sit idly by anyway, since they did have their eyes on them before.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Which one? The 'big' one mentioned by the 'leakers' and 'insiders'? According to them Sony was going to announce it last week. But guess what, it was made up bullshit to get attention and that acquisition never existed.
hmm are you sure? perhaps another delay by Sony since everybody tries to leak it.

Alot of people are talking about this big acquisition now.

Sony would be the type to buy WB Studios while not getting use of any of any of the WB licenses.

They are that bad at making deals.
The Sony that has:

- FFXVI exclusive?
- Marketing deals for COD, FIFA and Fortnite?
- Locked down FFVII: Remake?
- Bought Insomniac for less than $300 million?
- already have 200 publishers/developers signed up to PS+ extra?

Do they need the Warner licenses? No. Sony don’t need IP. All of their purchases are to do with buying in talent.

We have to remember that Sony’s deals and talent acquisition are the reason why they’ve consistently stayed on top.
It is actually around $17b.
It is about the budget Sony had approved las year for acquisitions.
Plus, that was just cash. They could do more with debt or shares. Take 2 would get them sports, GAAS, big single player IP and mobile expansion. I don’t think they’ll do this, but it is an option.

If Sony Corp feel that their biggest division is under threat, they’ll do what it takes.

Last edited:
Ah right must of missed the last bit. The PS VR 2 thing never happened either did it.

He notes that it could be nothing. but similar emails were sent out to certain industry people when the PS5 unveiling event was to be announced. we'll find out if it's bs or actually real in the coming weeks.

Tripolygon

Banned

He notes that it could be nothing. but similar emails were sent out to certain industry people when the PS5 unveiling event was to be announced. we'll find out if it's bs or actually real in the coming weeks.

What I hate about theses “rumors” are that they are inevitable already known things.

We knew since Sony announced PSVR 2 that they will have a State of Play focused on the reveal sometime this summer. We knew for months that PS+ and PSNow merger was coming. We know Sony is still buying studios because they said so for months now.

Lunarorbit

So do we all think the games firewalk and deviation are making are FPS? I'm not a fps fan but it seems like there's already a glut of these titles.

Anyone have any ideas of what else they could be?

What I hate about theses “rumors” are that they are inevitable already known things.

We knew since Sony announced PSVR 2 that they will have a State of Play focused on the reveal sometime this summer. We knew for months that PS+ and PSNow merger was coming. We know Sony is still buying studios because they said so for months now.

At the end of the day. nobody knows, because sony runs a tight ship, it could be something or it could absolutely be nothing. we'll have to wait and see, but nothing is gonna stop these clout chasers from putting out tweets or articles nature of the beast and all that jazz.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ah right must of missed the last bit. The PS VR 2 thing never happened either did it.
No. But there was a PS VR 2 GDC event that did happen and got leaked later. (It's pretty cool, too).

They might have got information about that. If not, Tom is hinting on some more PS VR 2 stuff.

If both these things turn out to be correct, then only the "big acquisition" is left, which I don't think we'll hear anything about at least the Bungie deal is closed. So 2-3 months at least.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No. But there was a PS VR 2 GDC event that did happen and got leaked later. (It's pretty cool, too).

They might have got information about that. If not, Tom is hinting on some more PS VR 2 stuff.

If both these things turn out to be correct, then only the "big acquisition" is left, which I don't think we'll hear anything about at least the Bungie deal is closed. So 2-3 months at least.

Am interested to see what they do with PS VR 2, I own the first one and it’s great tech but it needs killer games, there isn’t anything that is much much better on VR than on a normal tv. For me wipeout was the best I tried, those hills were insaine but it’s just as good on a tv. I want to be wowed by PS VR 2 and the gakes with it

zedinen

Although they have nothing really to prove in terms of recent game development......it does feel very much like PlayStation are in reactionary mode right now rather than leading the way.Microsoft have made huge publisher aquisitions that have in one swoop gave them many studios and it feels like PlayStation are just trying to keep up.

Warren, Sanders, Whitehouse, Booker Urge FTC Chair Lina Khan to Carefully Scrutinize Proposed Microsoft-Activision Merger

Microsoft and the entire world are on an inevitable collision course. Sony will take advantage of the chaos:

- If Activision deal is halted, Sony will keep breaking records.

- If Microsoft buys Activision, Sony will end up owning multiple publishers (PS Studios, Bungie and more ... ) and will keep breaking records.

Microsoft's attempt to gain control over the entire industry through massive horizontal and vertical integration, plus the rise of global inflation are crushing video game stocks, in both nominal and real terms.

Sony will probably keep buying small devs over the short term, but the stars are beginning to align: publishers are getting cheaper, the industry is facing an existential threat, Big Tech companies are under regulators' scrutiny and the Japanese goverment is offering financial support to the country's second largest company.

Market cap (1Y)

Sony $129.0 bn (-5.70%)

EA $36.0 bn (-9.55%)

Take-Two $17.8 bn (-15.79%)

Bandai Namco $16.6 bn (+14.34%)

Embracer $9.1 bn (-34.19%)

Capcom $6.8 bn (-15.43%)

Ubisoft $5.7 bn (-37.40%)

Koei Tecmo $5.7 bn (-17.19%)

Square Enix $5.6 bn (-12.62%)

Sega Sammy $4.7 bn (+29.85%)

CD Projekt $4.2 bn (-11.65%)

Remedy $498 m (-20.97%)

USD to YEN 122.76 yen

USD to EUR 0.91 euro

USD to SEK 9.42 krona

USD to ZLOTY 4.21 złoty

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm not certain that I'd say CDPR was a poison pill.
Was? Do you know something we don't and acquisition already happened? ;)
Anyway the main thing I was referencing is that CDPR is rather well known for their dysfunctional(and toxic) working culture. And while it's certainly not unique or special in that regard, it's up there with the more infamous ones.
And when it comes to acquisitions of semi-large studios (several hundred people or higher) - the integrations are challenging enough(and very prone to failure - see what happened with most/many Amazon acquisitions for instance) without having to deal with cleaning up such issues.

I think the biggest problem is the talent lost there already. They're looking to right the ship by giving up on RedEngine and rebuilding around UE5. This is the right choice, but it's also an extremely expensive choice, that I think Sony would have avoided if they had bought them. It also suggests that they aren't in talks with Sony if that is their play.
I think that's probably being overstated. A lot of productions still operate on this razor's edge of rebuilding most of production stack for every new project - and what 'does' get reused accumulates tech-debt until it becomes so bad it has to get dropped just for production to move. It's pretty much what happened to every tech-famous company at some point (including Epic, but they were the ones that took better lessons than most from it).

Internal engines like REDEngine work out when you have internal resources that know how to use the engine, but when those resources leave and you have to start from scratch with new employees, your development will be slowed. Switching to UE5 let's them recruit a lot easier and onboard to projects a lot easier.
It's not even internal vs. external - it's just that for a studio to be competitive they build up expertise (and their own differentiators) with a specific tech-stack. And changing that always comes with substantial costs, even when it's 'just' going from one major version to another. Also see above...

Why is this so expensive? Because you're going to pay Epic 5 percent in royalties on your game and you're going to pay Steam/Sony/Microsoft 30 percent in royalties.
TBH - those costs really start hurting when games get big, but yea Witcher 4 could very well qualify. One of the common trends I've seen in the industry at large is that the bigger the IP - the more its holders are reluctant to hitch themselves to a licensor that can turn the tables on them at any moment...

John Wick

Which is no different from how they have been doing it for the past 25 or so years. I dont get why some of you think that statement means that all games were going to be next gen exclusive.
Give over. Sometimes hold up your hands when your wrong. He made that statement straight after MS had stated that the first two years MS would be making crossgen games. Clearly Jimbo Ryan was trying to imply that PS5 would have no crossgen games. Should have just kept his stupid mouth shut.

John Wick

EAs game will still be popular, but this gives you an opportunity to create a very successful if not market leading competitor to EA's game. That's obviously worth it for the right company. Soccer is the largest sport in the world and is growing rapidly in North America.
I'm using this as an example. Let's say Sony got the license, I would buy the PES team from Konami. Add some more talent and give them the budget to make a truly great football game. Could be huge.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Give over. Sometimes hold up your hands when your wrong. He made that statement straight after MS had stated that the first two years MS would be making crossgen games. Clearly Jimbo Ryan was trying to imply that PS5 would have no crossgen games. Should have just kept his stupid mouth shut.
To be fair, though, in that same interview, Jim also confirmed supporting PS4 for years to come.
"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features. "We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used."
Did he try to be sneaky and take a shot at Xbox's no next-gen exclusive game for 2 years? Absolutely, he did.

Was he entirely wrong with his statement? No, I don't think he was.

I think Jimbo was telling the truth as he saw it. PlayStation "believed in generations" (and therefore released games like Rift Apart, Destruction All Stars, and Demon's Souls), and PlayStation also had "a responsibility to support the PS4 community for several years", so they also released games like Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Ragnarok, etc. on PS4 as well.

Both things can be true at the same time, and that's what Jimbo said. Also notice that in his quote, nowhere did he say that games will be next-gen exclusive. If anything, he was talking about console features, such as 3D audio and DualSense etc.

The shot at Xbox was kind of valid from Jimbo's POV because they said "no next-gen exclusive games for 2 years at all", while Jimbo implied that they will do both, and they did. As per Jimbo, PlayStation would make PS5 exclusive games (which they did) and would also support the PS4 community for several years after (which they are doing).

Market cap (1Y)

Sony $129.0 bn (-5.70%)

EA $36.0 bn (-9.55%)

Take-Two $17.8 bn (-15.79%)

Bandai Namco $16.6 bn (+14.34%)

Embracer $9.1 bn (-34.19%)

Capcom $6.8 bn (-15.43%)

Ubisoft $5.7 bn (-37.40%)

Koei Tecmo $5.7 bn (-17.19%)

Square Enix $5.6 bn (-12.62%)

Sega Sammy $4.7 bn (+29.85%)

CD Projekt $4.2 bn (-11.65%)

Remedy $498 m (-20.97%)

USD to YEN 122.76 yen

USD to EUR 0.91 euro

USD to SEK 9.42 krona

USD to ZLOTY 4.21 złoty

Looking at this i always find it funny how people say Sony ($129.0 bn) can't buy big companies like Capcom ($6.8 bn) or Square-Enix ($6.8 bn).

Yet Zynga ($10.5 bn) was acquired by Take-Two ($17.8 bn) for over 12 billion US dollars.

I know market cap doesn't show the entire picture specially in terms of acquisitions since it's not connected with the money each company has to spend...but when you put these numbers close to each other and how much money Take-Two spent on Zynga it helps put things in perspective.

I have been saying this for a while and i'll say it again: Now that Sony has acquired most studios close to them, they will go after videogame IPs that have always been connected to PlayStation. Capcom and Square-Enix are two i could imagine...but there's more possibilities. Specially now with PSPlus having this revamp and the synergy with movies and TV shows that PlayStation Productions want. Imagine Capcom and Square-Enix entire catalogs on PSPlus, plus all the studios in multiple countries they have. Plus the fact most Square-Enix businesses are also things that interest Sony (manga, anime, etc). There's also the fact if Sony managed to acquire big companies with lots of IPs people always connected with Sony, there's a possibility they would also leave Gamepass once those deals are over.

There's another war that's not 100% connected to studios happening right now and that's getting known IPs and content to your services. Sony knows this. They also know Apple, Google and Amazon could buy something big in the future and MS is now "on hold" after the Activision acquisition. This is the perfect timing for them, just as their new fiscal year starts.

Last edited:

yurinka

hmm are you sure? perhaps another delay by Sony since everybody tries to leak it.

Alot of people are talking about this big acquisition now.
Maybe they delayed it, or maybe not.

People like Greg Miller or Jeff Grubb have some credibility but they heard 'last week' and nothing. Geoff also mentioned while ago Sony making a big acquisition and unless he meant Haven (I doubt it) we're still waiting. The thing is, as I remember the big acquisitions never got leaked.

We know Sony will continue acquiring because Jim Ryan said it, so pretty likely they or their "sources" are only making a guess, like us.

We don't know if the next Sony acquisition will be big or small. After making many smaller acquisitions with Bungie as exception, I think they may buy a publisher now. Specifically, a Japanese one with several very popular IPs with potential to make movies, tv shows or anime and with a good catalog to fill PS+. But to do this they should increase their budget for acquisitions because with the available one I think they won't have enough specially considering they have to share it with other Sony divisions.

If not, I think they'll continue with smaller acquisitions: a mobile gamedev, a support team (like another outsourcing studio) or VR gamedev studio. Or some mid sized gamedev who doesn't own top IPs but made at least some successful exclusives for them and has potential to continue making sucessful games and to grow (Arrowhead, Kojipro, Quantic Dream, Supermassive, ARC System Works...).

The thing is, they have been closing the fiscal year and a big acquisition would have been important to be included before or after closing the fiscal year and they would have planned to place the announcement where needed. So maybe in other weeks of the year, it could have been ok to delay it, but I think in this particular case not.

I think that if Sony would have a big acquisition announcement planned for last week, they would have made it there. I think this is one of these cases similar to the fake rumors of "Sony will have a big SoP coming this next week(s)" after months of no SoP -or at least not big ones- and nothing happens, or they make one without important announcements. But a ton of "insiders" and "leakers" kept pumping the hype machine saying they heard Sony was going to have a huge SoP. And when nothing happens they say 'well, it has been delayed'.

Same applies to the acquisitions: Jim Ryan says Sony will continue acquiring, so a fake insider says a few weeks later 'Sony will announce an acquisition soon", and then other fake insiders repeat it, some of them adding that is going to be a "big" acquisition and other one adding is going to be "next week". And nothing happens.

NOT Capcom or Square Enix
I think they, Kadokawa and Bandai Namco would be the best fit.

Bandai Namco has a lot of current and classic IPs, a great catalog of old classics for PS+, mobile stuff, license to make games of many anime top stuff and is the top Japanese toy maker which could be a great synergy to make toys of PS, Sony anime, movies and tv shows or Sony Music artists. They also make and own top anime stuff. Sony also wants to grow in Asia, and Bandai Namco make a lot of their sales from Asia, particularly Japan:

image.png

They are in a good finantial shape but a big stagnant, a push from Sony could be welcome specially to help them grow in the west but they aren't in a finantial position where they would want or need to sell. But they are too expensive Sony's currently their available acquisitions budget and have some business like arcade game development or amusement centers (same applies to Sega, Capcom or Konami) that wouldn't line very well with Sony.

Capcom is in a pretty similar position: many old and active top IPs with potential -or already in- movies or anime, a huge catalog of old classics to fill, arcade business... in their case a cheapar and more affordable price even if they could still be too expensive for their current available acquisitions budget (but they could rise it, have more than enough money to pay with cash any of these acquisitions). But are in a great finantial shape, better than ever. They don't need to sell and pretty likely won't want to sell at least now because they are growing a lot. Their net income:

capcoms-annual-net-income.jpg

Almost the same with Square. Like the previous ones are very appealing even if have a few business that may not be very aligned to Sony and may be too expensive for their current budget. Plus don't need and may not want to sell because they are in a great finantial shape and growing:
square-enixs-annual-sales-by-segment.jpg

square-enix-annual-sales-gaming-segment.jpg

Kadokawa is cheaper and affordable with their current budget. Has several game publishers and development teams, dozens of PS exclusives since the PS1 days, some interesting IPs and a ton of anime, music stuff Sony may be interested in. They also have book/manga/magazine production and publishing labels that may not interest Sony even if it could generate good synergies with their gaming, cinema, anime and movies divisions specially if Sony helps them to expand beyond Japan. It may a pain in the ass to properly integrate them into Sony because Kadokawa has a ton of different companies who work in different areas, their teams aren't split into separate gaming/music/anime/etc divisions.

In terms of finantials Kadokawa is performing well but would welcome help to bump their sales (and this is why they made a deal with Sony and another one with Tencent). They don't need an acquisition but may be open to sell because it would really help them grow specially in sales.

image.png

image.png

So everything can happen, but I don't think Sony is buying any of these ones at least right now (more likely way later once they rise the budget). First because maybe only Kadokawa would fit on their current acquisitions budget (so the only they could afford right now unless they decide to rise it) but may not be that appealing for Sony due to the potential restructuring needed to properly integrate it in Sony and that many of their gaming IPs aren't that important compared to the ones from Capcom, Square Enix or Bandai Namco specially for potential movies.

But instead they have a ton of manga and anime IPs, some interesting gaming IPs and FromSoft. Plus in their acquisitons Sony, with Destiny as excepction, isn't buying top game IPs: they are buying instead focusing on teams that may support existing teams, covering certain areas where they don't shine or welcome help to grow (VR, mobile, remakes, ports, GaaS...) and specially experimented talent to create very successful IPs. And From Soft fits very well in this last point specially after the recent Elden Ring. Sony also always valued to acquire teams who had a long tradition of partnering with them for exclusives. And well, From Software has dozens of exclusives since back the PS1 days, and same goes for the non-FromSoft Kadokawa game publishers and devs: they have dozens of PS exclusives since the PS1 days too.

So I think Sony isn't buying any publisher right now, but if they are buying one right now, I'd bet is Kadokawa.

Last edited:

MHubert

Give over for what, he should have kept his mouth shut yes, but compared to the competition ps5 had exclusives at launch so its simply wrong to say that he was lying.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Maybe they delayed it, or maybe not.

People like Greg Miller or Jeff Grubb have some credibility but they heard 'last week' and nothing. Geoff also mentioned while ago Sony making a big acquisition and unless he meant Haven (I doubt it) we're still waiting. The thing is, as I remember the big acquisitions never got leaked.

We know Sony will continue acquiring because Jim Ryan said it, so pretty likely they or their "sources" are only making a guess, like us.

We don't know if the next Sony acquisition will be big or small. After making many smaller acquisitions with Bungie as exception, I think they may buy a publisher now. Specifically, a Japanese one with several very popular IPs with potential to make movies, tv shows or anime and with a good catalog to fill PS+. But to do this they should increase their budget for acquisitions because with the available one I think they won't have enough specially considering they have to share it with other Sony divisions.

If not, I think they'll continue with smaller acquisitions: a mobile gamedev, a support team (like another outsourcing studio) or VR gamedev studio. Or some mid sized gamedev who doesn't own top IPs but made at least some successful exclusives for them and has potential to continue making sucessful games and to grow (Arrowhead, Kojipro, Quantic Dream, Supermassive, ARC System Works...).

The thing is, they have been closing the fiscal year and a big acquisition would have been important to be included before or after closing the fiscal year and they would have planned to place the announcement where needed. So maybe in other weeks of the year, it could have been ok to delay it, but I think in this particular case not.

I think that if Sony would have a big acquisition announcement planned for last week, they would have made it there. I think this is one of these cases similar to the fake rumors of "Sony will have a big SoP coming this next week(s)" after months of no SoP -or at least not big ones- and nothing happens, or they make one without important announcements. But a ton of "insiders" and "leakers" kept pumping the hype machine saying they heard Sony was going to have a huge SoP. And when nothing happens they say 'well, it has been delayed'.

Same applies to the acquisitions: Jim Ryan says Sony will continue acquiring, so a fake insider says a few weeks later 'Sony will announce an acquisition soon", and then other fake insiders repeat it, some of them adding that is going to be a "big" acquisition and other one adding is going to be "next week". And nothing happens.
While we all get swept away in the hype, in hindsight I don't think Sony would be announcing anything anytime soon. They first need to successfully close the Bungie acquisition before moving on to something else.

yurinka

While we all get swept away in the hype, in hindsight I don't think Sony would be announcing anything anytime soon. They first need to successfully close the Bungie acquisition before moving on to something else.
I think Sony may announce more acquisitions in the coming months but pretty likely of a lower scale than big publishers because of regulators. Instead of Take 2, EA, Namco Bandai, Square Enix, Ubisoft or Capcom I think they may announce acquisitions more similar to the other ones they made outside the Bungie one: some mobile or VR dev team, some support studio for ports or outsourcing, or some not too top tier gamedev who made or is making 2nd party stuff: someone like Arrowhead or Deviation maybe if their project is very promising. But in these cases I'd expect something like they did with Housemarque: once they publish their first pretty big project, if it ended well (I assume will be the case of Helldivers 2 and first Deviation game) they'll buy them.

Or who knows, maybe Lucid to integrate it inside Firesprite to continue their rebuilding of SCEE Liverpool + Evolution Studios + Bizarre Creation under a same label and to grow Firesprite's manpower.

But well, it's hard to predict becaus we saw very different cases and exceptions of all kinds.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Looking at this i always find it funny how people say Sony ($129.0 bn) can't buy big companies like Capcom ($6.8 bn) or Square-Enix ($6.8 bn).

Yet Zynga ($10.5 bn) was acquired by Take-Two ($17.8 bn) for over 12 billion US dollars.

I know market cap doesn't show the entire picture specially in terms of acquisitions since it's not connected with the money each company has to spend...but when you put these numbers close to each other and how much money Take-Two spent on Zynga it helps put things in perspective.

I have been saying this for a while and i'll say it again: Now that Sony has acquired most studios close to them, they will go after videogame IPs that have always been connected to PlayStation. Capcom and Square-Enix are two i could imagine...but there's more possibilities. Specially now with PSPlus having this revamp and the synergy with movies and TV shows that PlayStation Productions want. Imagine Capcom and Square-Enix entire catalogs on PSPlus, plus all the studios in multiple countries they have. Plus the fact most Square-Enix businesses are also things that interest Sony (manga, anime, etc). There's also the fact if Sony managed to acquire big companies with lots of IPs people always connected with Sony, there's a possibility they would also leave Gamepass once those deals are over.

There's another war that's not 100% connected to studios happening right now and that's getting known IPs and content to your services. Sony knows this. They also know Apple, Google and Amazon could buy something big in the future and MS is now "on hold" after the Activision acquisition. This is the perfect timing for them, just as their new fiscal year starts.

Is that market cap for Sony as a company or Sony PlayStation?

Last edited:

C2brixx

Until Sony actually buys a Publisher I'm going to remain skeptical of these rumors. People like the bring up the fact that Microsoft is in regulator review with the Activision purchase and wouldn't be able to make another purchase until that acquisitions closes. I don't think that's the case. I believe any publisher that maybe looking to sell right now is going to shop around for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th offers and would have no problem waiting a year if an offer from Microsoft meant $5B or more than what Sony was offering.

If Sony was to offer lets say $15B for Konami I guarantee you Konami would shop that offer around and would receive offers in the $20-$30 billion range easily from a multitude of tech companies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony would be the type to buy WB Studios while not getting use of any of any of the WB licenses.

Not sure what you mean? Insomniac and Bluepoint for peanuts and Bungie at 3b compared to Activision for 69b is looking like really shrewd business to me.

I don't want to see anymore investment in GaaS. They've got plenty of those in the pipeline now to put their focus on other areas.

The one that sticks out like a sore thumb for me now are western RPGs. MS is looking too strong in that area for Jim to ignore.

I can't think of many more good western RPG devs though. Larian comes to mind. I'd love to see Sony get their own Avowed game in the Divinity universe.

I'm using this as an example. Let's say Sony got the license, I would buy the PES team from Konami. Add some more talent and give them the budget to make a truly great football game. Could be huge.
Not certain how easy it would be to "buy" their team, but it's certainly a possibility.

I wonder how much of the staff remains from This is Football. A collaboration might even be fruitful.

I’d say From would be Sony’s Best Buy, but the success of Elden Ring has drastically upped the price of that studio.

I can't agree that a studio as expensive as they'll be (given you'd almost certainly have to buy Kadokawa) and as reliant as it is on a single employee can be considered a "Best Buy"

yurinka

I don't want to see anymore investment in GaaS. They've got plenty of those in the pipeline now to put their focus on other areas.

The one that sticks out like a sore thumb for me now are western RPGs. MS is looking too strong in that area for Jim to ignore.

I can't think of many more good western RPG devs though. Larian comes to mind. I'd love to see Sony get their own Avowed game in the Divinity universe.
WRPG sell more on PS than on Xbox and PS already has a shit ton of WRPG even if not exclusive. Sony doesn't need to have their own ones.

Even considering this, Sony recently released Horizon. How many exclusive WRPG has published Xbox?

In addition to tthis, Sony has also a lot of exclusive RPGs, way more than Xbox. Who cares if western or not. With both exclusive or multi, Sony has the RPG genre more han covered.

If Sony was to offer lets say $15B for Konami I guarantee you Konami would shop that offer around and would receive offers in the $20-$30 billion range easily from a multitude of tech companies.
It wouldn't make sense to pay $15B for Konami. They don't have a single AAA dev team. Do they even have a game that sold 10M? They have a lot of old classics and 4 or 5 IPs that could be used for mid sized AAA games and other ones for small games. And a successful mobile game team, that's all. They also have an IP with potential for movies or anime (out of maybe up to 3 or 4) and Sony is already making that movie. Plus they have business like pachinko and gyms that Sony isn't interested on them.

I think several other publishers would better fit Sony, and if they would acquire Konami they would pay way less than $15B for it.

Last edited:
WRPG sell more on PS than on Xbox and PS already has a shit ton of WRPG even if not exclusive. Sony doesn't need to have their own ones.

Even considering this, Sony recently released Horizon. How many exclusive WRPG has published Xbox?

In addition to tthis, Sony has also a lot of exclusive RPGs, way more than Xbox. Who cares if western or not. With both exclusive or multi, Sony has the RPG genre more han covered.

By western RPG I mean the create the sandbox create your own character type ones. Games like Horizon don't fit that bill.

yurinka

WB has some super talented and successful AAA teams. To separatedly buy Netherrealm, Avalanche, Rocksteady, TT Games without IPs, maybe only getting MK would be great for Sony.

Sony already has a lot of underutilized IPs and frequently creates new ones. Plus they also could use Marvel IPs or some IP from Sony Pictures movies or even anime.

In addition to this, Sony made a good deal so far with acquisitions. With a budgef of a few billions they got Bungie, Haven, Blue Point, Housemarque, Firesprite and Fabrik (Evolution + SCEE Liverpool + Bizarre, now VR friendly), Nixxes, EVO, a mobile gamedev that makes them a billion per year and an outsourcing studio plus Destiny and all future Bungie new IPs.

Their previous acquisition was Insomniac and look at the results. So who knows what can they do with all these teams in the long term.

Last edited:

C2brixx

It wouldn't make sense to pay $15B for Konami. They don't have a single AAA dev team. Do they even have a game that sold 10M? They have a lot of old classics and 4 or 5 IPs that could be used for mid sized AAA games and other ones for small games. And a successful mobile game team, that's all. They also have an IP with potential for movies or anime (out of maybe up to 3 or 4) and Sony is already making that movie. Plus they have business like pachinko and gyms that Sony isn't interested on them.

I think several other publishers would better fit Sony, and if they would acquire Konami they would pay way less than $15B for it.
I was basing the $15B on Konami's $9.36B market cap. Who ever purchased them would have to pay a premium above their market cap.

My argument is that their isn't a publisher Sony could buy where they wouldn't be outbid by another company. Folks think if From Software came on the market they would be bought by Sony without a bidding war? These rumors are delusional. There will be bidding wars for any publisher that comes on the market. Especially after the Activision/Blizzard deal.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Lol Deviation Games plastering their walls with DualSense artwork

iNoNWFB.jpg
Xd78RKI.jpg

Tell me you're a PS Studio without telling me you're a PS Studio
Almost certainly going to be announced some time this year. I knew the moment the acquisition race heated up that Sony was going to look more intensely to their partnerships and possibly buy them in advance of their games. If they were liking what they saw. When that interview with Raymond went out and she said Sony was so impressed with their pitches that they wanted to greenlight all three of them, which would have meant hiring like crazy to give them the people they need, I knew they were going to float a big check to Haven. When it was announced that Deviation was opening a second studio in Canada, funny enough in Montreal where Haven is at, I knew Sony was backing them with a lot of extra money. Knowing they are also making a live service game, which Sony REALLY wants, and seeing them move into this new studio for their primary location before they've even put a game out... and plastered with PS5 images.... yeah. Only question now is what is the relationship between Firewalk and Probably Monsters and can Sony buy them? Hulst has said a few times now that he's very psyched about their project. Again, a live service game.

Top Bottom