• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan criticizes Activision's response to harrassment allegations.

Good to see the industry execs not sitting back. I know Phil Spencer is usually outspoken about this stuff, but good to see Jimbo do the same. Though I would like to see them do more than just talk the talk. They took Cyberpunk off the store page, maybe it's time do it for CoD. Even if its just for a weekend, it sends a message.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...criticizes-activision-response-to-allegations

WTF!?

So you would punish gamers and the hardworking devs at Activision, for the sake of shitty 3rd party publisher exec and toxic work culture?

MS and Sony absolutely shouldn't be getting involved beyond verbally condemning the behaviour and urging their partners to do something about it themselves.

What you're advocating for is tantamount to cancel culture and would cause way more problems than it (thinks it's trying to) solve.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Another twitter clown looking for attention.
I know right... its difficult because most people really comtemplating suicide rarely tell anyone. You want ot take it very seriously but idiots are muddying the waters for attention.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Must be an American only thing as my PS App shows this when I go into the shop
BDZgPgA.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WTF!?

So you would punish gamers and the hardworking devs at Activision, for the sake of shitty 3rd party publisher exec and toxic work culture?

MS and Sony absolutely shouldn't be getting involved beyond verbally condemning the behaviour and urging their partners to do something about it themselves.

What you're advocating for is tantamount to cancel culture and would cause way more problems than it (thinks it's trying to) solve.
I am not a fan of cancel culture, but a weekend or two should send a message at the very least.

I am just not a fan of these execs just saying things and then continue to pay for timed exclusives to the same guys. It doesnt have to pulling the game from their stores, but they should use any leverage they can.

I am not a fan of cancel culture, but a weekend or two should send a message at the very least.

I am just not a fan of these execs just saying things and then continue to pay for timed exclusives to the same guys. It doesnt have to pulling the game from their stores, but they should use any leverage they can.

Why?

Why should MS or Sony be trying to take responsibility for enforcing intra-corporate exec behaviour of entirely separate, entirely independent 3rd party companies?

MS and Sony are not the police of the games industry and they should be trying to act as such.

That's what government, regulators and law enforcement are for. If employees are being victimised within companies, then government and regulators need to empower those employees to use legal recourse to address their victimization, and this is after the employer's efforts to investigate and properly resolve the situation themselves.

If the current systems are not working, it's on government and regulators to solve. Not fucking Sony and MS.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why?

Why should MS or Sony be trying to take responsibility for enforcing intra-corporate exec behaviour of entirely separate, entirely independent 3rd party companies?

MS and Sony are not the police of the games industry and they should be trying to act as such.

That's what government, regulators and law enforcement are for. If employees are being victimised within companies, then government and regulators need to empower those employees to use legal recourse to address their victimization, and this is after the employer's efforts to investigate and properly resolve the situation themselves.

If the current systems are not working, it's on government and regulators to solve. Not fucking Sony and MS.
I dont disagree. But right now everyone of these companies are trying to take the moral high ground. Jimbo wants his team to know that this stuff is not tolerated. Ok fine, but what are you gonna do about it? You are still enabling kotick and Activision. They are still in business with them.

I dont know. This feels different compared to people asking Netflix to deplatform Chappelle for some trans jokes. A girl committed suicide after being raped. Another settled. Dozens were fired over sexual harrassment allegations. So it's a real thing that hurt people. Not just their feelings.

Maybe they shouldnt even talk about it since the govt is already investigating Kotick and if hes guilty, he should get his comeuppance.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Imagine rooting for a scumbag just because he's asking another scumbag to step down. Wow gaf, wow. Rooting for a game to be removed from the store because the CEO which has nothing to do with its creation is fucking idiotic and if Sony does it, it proves my first point even further.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Imagine rooting for a scumbag just because he's asking another scumbag to step down. Wow gaf, wow. Rooting for a game to be removed from the store because the CEO which has nothing to do with its creation is fucking idiotic and if Sony does it, it proves my first point even further.
The point is the CEO is not at fault here at all, sorry social media mob. There are multiple levels, mostly involving the main HR people, responsible for this situation. Believe it or not there are people paid ridiculous amount of money to just paint the 'big picture'.

Want to cancel someone? Cancel VP People or most senior HR professional who I kid you not had multiple reports long before it got leaked to press.

Last edited:
I dont disagree. But right now everyone of these companies are trying to take the moral high ground. Jimbo wants his team to know that this stuff is not tolerated. Ok fine, but what are you gonna do about it? You are still enabling kotick and Activision. They are still in business with them.

This "enabling" train of thought is dumb and fundamentally logically inconsistent.

Everything and everyone can be enabling an individual's bad behaviour as long as you choose to look at it through a particular (slanted) lens.

I mean, by this same silly logic, you and I SlimySnake SlimySnake are enabling these shitty Activision execs by merely talking about it on a web forum and not taking action.

You can go as far as you like with this, but in the end, it's fundamentally and practically meaningless.

At some point, the arseholes perpetrating the bad behaviour need to take responsibility for their own shitty actions.

Their employer should hold them accountable, but they shouldn't take responsibility for the bad behaviour unless they are failing to hold the perpetrating individuals accountable.

In a similar way, MS and Sony shouldn't take any responsibility for the bad behaviour, nor even for enabling it because they absolutely have no recourse to hold the individuals accountable because said individuals aren't employees of MS or Sony. If they want to hold the employers accountable they need to be absolutely sure they employers are failing to hold the individuals accountable, but even then I'd argue that's not the role of MS or Sony, that's on government and regulators.

I dont know. This feels different compared to people asking Netflix to deplatform Chappelle for some trans jokes. A girl committed suicide after being raped. Another settled. Dozens were fired over sexual harrassment allegations. So it's a real thing that hurt people. Not just their feelings.

Not wanting to minimise the real damage that this behaviour causes to real people, the fact is it doesn't matter to question of whether its 3rd party companies' job to hold the employers of harassers accountable.

It's the job of government regulators and law enforcement to protect employees from these types of behaviours.

We don't want companies, especially large powerful companies within industries acting as virtue vigilantes. We don't tolerate it for individuals and so we shouldn't either for corporations either.

Maybe they shouldnt even talk about it since the govt is already investigating Kotick and if hes guilty, he should get his comeuppance.

Making public statements to decry the apparent poor response of a company towards serious allegations serves a public good. It sets a cultural bar across an industry that this type of behaviour isn't tolerated and so employees within companies who have certain predilections towards such behaviours but haven't yet acted on them, would think twice before going ahead to do so.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony has been best buddies partnering with Activision and COD since PS4. Lets see if Sony and Jim Ryan shy away from associating with Activision regarding ending deals and delisting their games.

Last edited:

Fake

Well... if him care that much why don't Sony and Playstation put their money where are their mouth? Cancel al contracts with activision and don't let them release games on Playstation... Or is that all about looks like a cool woke guy?
money-mr.gif

kiphalfton

Why do you care about what nameless corpo executive writes to staff? They took Cyberpunk out since CDPR threw them under a bus.

Didn't you guys work a single day in your lives?

Are they going to take CoD off the store in protest? No?

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

All the simple minded people on social media care about is being appeased. And a short one paragraph blurb about [insert issue here] does it for them.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Gaf right now:
5uo5e8.jpg

Seriously though, who the fuck would go public suiifal and brace that fucking moron Bobby kotick this is all pr

Last edited:
Absolutely the right call by Jim Ryan, he's even put Phil in the shade with this Activision situation. Hopefully this changes how Activision is run and certain individuals are dealt with swiftly.

Top Bottom