• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "[Microsoft is] a tech giant with a long history of dominating industries, the choices gamers have today will disappear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloko85

Every single one of those bar Tomb raider were new ips funded by MS to come to market. Then launched on PlayStation later if they weren't fully funded by ms.

Props to MS for finding new ips and supporting them to market on those.

What about all sonys classics that are sequels in established franchises like street fighter, spider man, final fantasy etc. All were long established multiplatform games.

As soon as MS tried it with Tomb raider the PlayStation fanbase castrated them and said "no fair...MS can't do this...its not fair ...when is it coming to PlayStation.....tell me when its coming to PLAAAYSTAAATIONNN REEEEEEEE?"

Microsoft isn't even taking COD away from anyone....Jim and Sony are just upset that they know they won't be able to get all their bullshit exclusive content and adverts etc anymore and are losing their shit because of it.

So now the excuse is they were new ips… lol:messenger_tears_of_joy: Turn the wheels whichever way you want

Kokoloko85

Are you troll or something? Half of that games are first party games.

None of those are 1st party studios. Published is just a fancy word for 3rd party exclusive when it comes to these games. MS studios didnt work on any of these lol.
They own some of these Ips. If they were truly 1st party they would own Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect.

kuncol02

Banned
None of those are 1st party studios. Published is just a fancy word for 3rd party exclusive when it comes to these games. MS studios didnt work on any of these lol.
They own some of these Ips. If they were truly 1st party they would own Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect.
The fuck? Recore, Quantum Break, Ryse and both Ori games are first party.

There are only first party games paid by platform owners (and developed by whoever) and third-party games paid and published by independent publishers.

feynoob

Banned
23 pages, and we are still fighting
Sad Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

zzill3

Banned
Becoming a monopoly is a threat regardless of the industry lol. The fact you can't counter this just proves the point.
🙄
Guess we need to stop all existing gaming companies releasing any new games. If one of their games happens to become really popular it could end up with millions more people buying the console it’s released on and that could end up in a monopoly

zzill3

Banned
We need to stop consolidation from happening. Stop arguing in bad faith.
We also need to stop companies releasing any exclusive first party games. If a first party exclusive game is released that gets really popular it could lead to that console becoming a monopoly. We can’t take the risk that any future game released could be one that leads to a monopoly, they all need to be stopped.

I’m not arguing in bad faith, I just want to make sure we don’t have a monopoly in the gaming industry, don’t you?

We also need to stop companies releasing any exclusive first party games. If a first party exclusive game is released that gets really popular it could lead to that console becoming a monopoly. We can’t take the risk that any future game released could be one that leads to a monopoly, they all need to be stopped.

I’m not arguing in bad faith, I just want to make sure we don’t have a monopoly in the gaming industry, don’t you?

How do you make Nintendo go multiplatform?

I think the issue is when multiplatform devs become exclusive to an ecosystem.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Operating system on a pc isn’t gaming, office software ain’t gaming either. So why Jim bring it up. He saying Microsoft dominates in other areas, Sony does to. Don’t understand why you don’t get that they are being hypocritical.

He’s bring things that are not in gaming to try and make Microsoft look bad, Sonia has dominated the console market for years. PS1, PS2 ,PS4 and probibly PS5 to

They prefer to ignore or pretend certain facts don't exist when they don't fit their narrative, that way they don't have to acknowledge and address them in good faith.

SLB1904

Banned

You doing these wrong. You should encourage Microsoft to take the 70billion and invest in their first party studios.
Buying them better mo cap studios, proper writers. Hire more developers. Releasing high budget AAA games people want to play that will make them want an xbox.

They just need to get better.
I don't even know why you guys cheering for this acquisition. They are just paying for the same game you've being playing (or not) for the past 20 years lol

Meanwhile hellblade 2, fable, state of decay are in the limbo. Smh

No, that's not the issue either. Otherwise Sony acquiring Insomniac would've been an issue. Don't bother trying to move that goalpost though, because I don't think there was a massive outcry when it happened anyway.

There wasn't an issue with double fine or Ninja Theory either. I'm guessing the problem comes from a large multiplatform publisher becoming exclusive. Something that Insomniac, Double Fine and Ninja Theory are not.

Not trying to rape you here but that's the way it is.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

*reads counter argument author knowingly based upon a false equivalence*

Nah homie, that's exactly what you're doing.

They prefer to ignore or pretend certain facts don't exist when they don't fit their narrative, that way they don't have to acknowledge and address them in good faith.
Yep, the more educated you are on the history, the more obnoxious their takes are.

The go-to move it seems, is to bluntly remind people of just how evil MS really is, as though it was a well established fact at this point. Of course they never cite any specific examples aside from the occasional Extend, Embrace, Extinguish routine. As soon as they post it, they remain at the ready just in case someone mentions Sony's past. At that point they all make the same broad claim that "yeah, no company is perfect", but finishing off their response by once again singling out MS as being particularly bad.

The same routine played out over and over again, by the same people.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You doing these wrong. You should encourage Microsoft to take the 70billion and invest in their first party studios.
Buying them better mo cap studios, proper writers. Hire more developers. Releasing high budget AAA games people want to play that will make them want an xbox.

They just need to get better.
I don't even know why you guys cheering for this acquisition. They are just paying for the same game you've being playing (or not) for the past 20 years lol

Meanwhile hellblade 2, fable, state of decay are in the limbo. Smh
Same goes for Sony. Invest in more first party grassroots teams instead of firing existing talent and acquiring the rest.

Guerilla, ND, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, Insomniac are all acquisitions. And so are more recent buy outs like Nixxes for doing PC ports. They had more too like Zipper (SOCOM) and Evolution (racers) but canned them when they faltered.

The only home grown Sony studios left are PD (GT), Santa Monica (GOW), San Diego (baseball), and which ever employees are left at the Japanese team.

Famipan

There are only first party games paid by platform owners (and developed by whoever) and third-party games paid and published by independent publishers.
Ori 1 is published by MS, Ori 2 was multi-plat from the start except PS and it seems the developer Moon Studios would have loved to release both games on PS:

"He further went on criticize the exclusivity model that platform holders have towards their first-party studios, saying, “I personally wish Microsoft would have the guts to just go through with their vision. Make their games and port them to ALL platforms, not leave anyone behind. The 13 year old kid whose parents were able to only afford to buy one system for their child now won’t grow up playing Halo because Microsoft believes that it makes the most financial sense to leave PlayStation players out. How does that benefit anyone but Microsoft? Yeah, you’ll probably sell a bunch more Xbox’s, but you lose out on millions of potentially dedicated fans.’"

SLB1904

Banned
Same goes for Sony. Invest in more first party grassroots teams instead of firing existing talent and acquiring the rest.

Guerilla, ND, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule, Insomniac are all acquisitions. And so are more recent buy outs like Nixxes for doing PC ports. They had more too like Zipper (SOCOM) and Evolution (racers) but canned them when they faltered.

The only home grown Sony studios left are PD (GT), Santa Monica (GOW), San Diego (baseball), and which ever employees are left at the Japanese team.
Be trying to be fool as much as you want if you think all of these studios aren't where were they are because of sony. Sony had people mentoring studios like Naughty Dog insomniac way back since the 90s
Look what games these studios were releasing before Sony hell even now they are a powerhouse thanks to Sony. Naughty dog only become one of the greatest half way through ps3 generation.
They mold these studios to where they are. That's why some of love to troll Sony games look the same. That's Sony identity. Sony trade mark. Even they shit games looks expensive. Cough the order 1886, destruction all star and so on.

There wasn't an issue with double fine or Ninja Theory either. I'm guessing the problem comes from a large multiplatform publisher becoming exclusive. Something that Insomniac, Double Fine and Ninja Theory are not.

Not trying to rape you here but that's the way it is.
Keep it in your pants my guy, because I keep my rape whistle in tip top shape lol. But I agree with you for the most part. No issues with Double Fine, Ninja Theory, or Insomniac.

The part that I don't get is why are there no issues with developers being acquired one by one, but acquiring them in a group is a problem. If either MS or Sony gobble up say 7 developers for example, one right after another... Nobody bats an eye. But if one of them instead simply acquires a publisher that consists of 7 developers... It's all sorts of conspiracy theory levels of bad.

The end results are largely the same. Hell, there's even been people here suggesting that should the deal fall through... MS should literally just go spend that $68 billion gobbling up developers individually.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Be trying to be fool as much as you want if you think all of these studios aren't where were they are because of sony. Sony had people mentoring studios like Naughty Dog insomniac way back since the 90s
Look what games these studios were releasing before Sony hell even now they are a powerhouse thanks to Sony. Naughty dog only become one of the greatest half way through ps3 generation.
They mold these studios to where they are. That's why some of love to troll Sony games look the same. That's Sony identity. Sony trade mark. Even they shit games looks expensive. Cough the order 1886, destruction all star and so on.
Doesn.t matter. They still bought them.

As time goes on, their grassroots studios thin out and replaced by third party acquisitions.

Swift_Star

Banned

Yes you are. First party is ok, monopoly isn’t. This is argument in bad faith lmao

Swift_Star

Banned

Rose Mcgowan Scream GIF by filmeditor

If you want to feel better go on.

Also is not like Microsoft lacks studios
They have double than Sony already lol

You would have a point if Microsoft had like a couple of studios. Your arguments doesn't hold ground at all
Of course it doesn’t. Green rats argument are almost always false equivalencies and are made in bad faith because they know facts don’t agree with them.

zzill3

Banned
Yes you are. First party is ok, monopoly isn’t. This is argument in bad faith lmao
After the deal goes through, activision will be MS first party, so that would be fine then?

Doesn’t make any sense to be ok with any new exclusive release possibly being popular enough to cause a monopoly, when you’re not ok with any new acquisition possibly causing a monopoly
Pointing out your logical flaws isn’t bad faith just because you can’t deal with being hypocritical

Three

I love that you called me a goober so I concede defeat! 🥰

I'm not trying to white knight microsoft at all. I'm just calling out Jimbo.

At the end of the day, I honestly...and I mean honestly couldnt care which way this deal goes. I want it to be scrutinized properly and if these bodies think that its ok to go through, it's ok to go through. If it isnt, it isnt and let MS get to putting out good games in other ways.

We know they will have 70billion free if this doesnt go through so they can go out and sign up some deals, and no matter what it is no, no one can complain again like the Tomb Raider situation. I am sure everyone will accept it now.
What if the goobers who pretend it's evil and shouldn't be allowed begin to accept it with open arms when that comes to light even though their favourite company never stopped doing them anyway?

Three

Sony going against their own interests. They should be glad MS is buying activision because MS already said COD is not going anywhere on PS. If MS doesnt get them then Google or Amazon will swoop in, can make COD exclusive because that will allow them to get a leg in the industry and no regulator will have a problem with it.

But you know what. This seems like it's not about COD being on PS or not. Sony only cares about COD not being on gamepass. They don't want to compete with the gamepass model. They are afraid of it. They are willing to allow COD to be lost to another party than having COD but COD existing on gamepass.
Oh no! Not Amazon and Google! Whatever would we do? They have been buying up all the publishers and I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Keep it in your pants my guy, because I keep my rape whistle in tip top shape lol. But I agree with you for the most part. No issues with Double Fine, Ninja Theory, or Insomniac.

The part that I don't get is why are there no issues with developers being acquired one by one, but acquiring them in a group is a problem. If either MS or Sony gobble up say 7 developers for example, one right after another... Nobody bats an eye. But if one of them instead simply acquires a publisher that consists of 7 developers... It's all sorts of conspiracy theory levels of bad.

The end results are largely the same. Hell, there's even been people here suggesting that should the deal fall through... MS should literally just go spend that $68 billion gobbling up developers individually.

I think the reverse would have been true. If Sony were the ones buying Activision there these investigations would still exist.

When someone buys a large company regulation will always look at it. Heck they even looked at Sony buying Bungie and that was a lot smaller than this.

After the deal goes through, activision will be MS first party, so that would be fine then?

Doesn’t make any sense to be ok with any new exclusive release possibly being popular enough to cause a monopoly, when you’re not ok with any new acquisition possibly causing a monopoly
Pointing out your logical flaws isn’t bad faith just because you can’t deal with being hypocritical

Regulators are fine with market leaders existing. Saying that companies shouldn't be allowed to make successful games isn't something that Regulators do.

Swift_Star

Banned

No it’ll never be fine because it’s the road to monopoly. Try harder and stop arguing in bad faith.

Three

Tell that to MS who seem to be referring to Sackboy and Bloodborne as "third party content" "blocked from xbox" in their legal documents.

Last edited:

Three

They can't be that stupid lol you joking
😄 I'm being completely serious. They call it third party content and for Bloodborne say it's being excluded from xbox.
MS: Sony also has a portfolio of high-quality exclusive third-party content including Genshin Impact, Final Fantasy 16, Bloodborne, Sackboy: A Big Adventure.
In addition to having outright
exclusive content, Sony has also entered into arrangements with third-party publishers which require the “exclusion” of Xbox from the set of platforms these publishers can distribute their games on. Some prominent examples of these agreements include FinalFantasy VII Remake (Square Enix), Bloodborne (From Software)

Bloodborne is a Sony owned IP and Sony published game. If it's third party content being excluded from xbox then I guess Ori, Recore, Quantum Break, and Ryse are third party content excluded from PS.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Sony is no tech giant .. they don’t produce, tvs, mobile phones, headphones and all kinds of electronics on top of that they almost monopolized the console market 🤣 Jim is seeing them fly .. going cookcook

Kagey K

Banned
Sony is no tech giant .. they don’t produce, tvs, mobile phones, headphones and all kinds of electronics on top of that they almost monopolized the console market 🤣 Jim is seeing them fly .. going cookcook
Sony has never used profits from outside the gaming division to PlayStation afloat. It would be immoral to feed a subdivision other profits

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/sony-s-first-profit-in-five-years-no-thanks-to-playstation

this was every quarter during the ps3 days.

They sold so much real estate, and offices just to keep PS. It drained every dollar and them some that they ever made.

Last edited:

Stooky

Naughty dog, insomniac , sucker punch, guerilla etc : sony had been funding them for years on several games before they bought them. I would say they are home grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom