• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan triggers employees. Says all opinions should be respected regarding abortion controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eimran

Playstation Boss Jimbo has given a statement regarding the overthrown Roe vs Wade act in which he asked his employees to embrace other's opinion.

To everybody's incredible surprise, the 'tolerant' people in the California headquarters are not so pleased with his message.

Thread is ofcourse already going in Reee-era. Warning: high toxicity zone.

Fuz

Banned
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Playstation Boss Jimbo has given a statement regarding the overthrown Roe vs Wade act in which he asked his employees to embrace other's opinion.

To everybody's incredible surprise, the 'tolerant' people in the California headquarters are not so pleased with his message.

Thread is ofcourse already going in Reee-era. Warning: high toxicity zone.
It's sad that most cant acknowledge the fact that different people like different things. Specially the "tolerant" people.

Tams

Gold Member
I'm not sure whether it was necessary or wise for him to share this opinion.

Or are Sony going to start offering abortions now?

This is an American thing! Let’s not generalize. We don’t see these type of over emotional dramatic me,me,me type of behavior in other countries!
Nah I've lived in multiple countries and seen this everywhere not just with politics but religion and culture as well, even stuff like sports and gaming can be filled with tribalism and zealotry.

People get used to what they are taught home and see people with foreign views and opinions as weird and wrong. You see this in the Caribbean, South America, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and Japan. This isn't a location thing it's a human thing.

ManaByte

Ryan then went on to write that he “would like to share something lighthearted to help inspire everyone to be mindful of having balance that can help ease the stress of uncertain world events,” saying it was recently his two cats’ first birthday and elaborating over the next few paragraphs about his cats’ birthday cakes, their noises and his desire to one day get a dog.

I like Jimbo.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not sure whether it was necessary or wise for him to share this opinion.

Or are Sony going to start offering abortions now?

There's already a thread about this. He didn't share any opinion. He made the obvious comment that when you're at work and IF you decide to engage in this non-work conversation, you need to be respectful to your coworkers. This is a nothing story, but since it's a front in the culture wars, it's got to have (several) threads made about it (with references to ResetEra for good measure and self-congratulation).

ManaByte

There's already a thread about this. He didn't share any opinion. He made the obvious comment that when you're at work and IF you decide to engage in this non-work conversation, you need to be respectful to your coworkers. This is a nothing story, but since it's a front in the culture wars, it's got to have (several) threads made about it (with references to ResetEra for good measure and self-congratulation).
He was addressing Bungie who was going full Era on social media telling Destiny players if they don’t conform to Bungie’s opinion they don’t want them playing their game.

jm89

He was addressing the entire studio of Bungie.
Nah i think there is more to it than that, possible conflict outside of bungie in SIE. But if he really did just address bungie, sounds like a pretty damn stupid thing to do.

tommib

Half of Twitter is calling for him to resign. It’s more than a nothing story unfortunately.

Nah i think there is more to it than that, possible conflict outside of bungie in SIE. But if he really did just address bungie, sounds like a pretty damn stupid thing to do.
It's easy to imagine what happened. Bungie was all "grind up that fetus like it's Postal 2", some people inside SIE obviously found that a bit offensive, and now there's probably a lot of butthurt on both sides.

sn0man

Murdering babies vs removing women's control over their own body?

Seems off-topic for a bunch of men children to discuss in a gaming forum. Take it to off topic mods.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The games industry has remained largely silent in regards to the Roe v. Wade news.

This just says it all about what certain people think companies should be concentrating on in this day and age. What's a gaming industry have to do with abortion?
Nothing. But you know, where you have a global workforce, you may receive reports that people are having clashes because of their different opinions about a hot topic. As the head of that organization, you have two options:
  1. Ignore that and let the small disagreements emerge into bigger conflicts and a toxic workplace environment, or
  2. Step forward and release a statement so more people can get along.
Jimbo did the right thing here. He didn't take any sides (contrary to what REE what have you believe, those idiots!). He said that you don't have to agree with anyone, but you gotta respect everyone and the fact that people may have different opinions.

I literally cannot understand what's wrong with that statement. What's the alternative here? That we don't respect the difference of opinion and it's either my way or the highway? That's so absurd to think.

P.S. I think this thread isn't really gaming related and should be closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom