• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan will go unsung for his contributions in keeping Playstation as a platform competitive

Himuro

Your whole post revolved around your first line which was false. Instead of addressing that if you disagree you basically made a drive by.

This would be an example.

Jim Ryan became CEO of SIE in 2019, somehow you missed they were doing this since the PS2, and even started the launching in japan late thing with the PS4. Pretending Jim Ryan is the one who started "focusing on America" is nonsense.
He has played a role in the shift. I didn't posit this entirely at the feet of Ryan but he's definitely a contributor. Sony itself is the one that gave PS to America, so I don't blame - and never did - Jim Ryan alone. There was a shift that happened during PS4 but Jim Ryan and his new teams priorities have pushed it forward at a thousand times speed. You also continue to ignore my point about the delicate balance of experimental and mainstream titles and are choosing, perhaps deliberately, on Japan vs western games. During PS3 they put titles like the Pixeljunk games, Loco Roco, and Noby Noby Boy along side the their biggest games. To pretend that Sony's balance of diversity ended in ps2 is to be ahistorical or deeply ignorant of their history. Even when Sony started to shift more western they still had the balance of experimental and mainstream. But sure, go ahead and act deaf, dumb, and blind.

Last edited:
Yep personally cant wait for factions mp from ND and I hope it has the legs and content mix up as a fortnite or apex legends. AAA single player will always be the bread and butter of Sony, seeing them branch out a little is nice.

Himuro

You keep saying this but can't articulate how, nd expect me to read your mind. I don't see anything faster than what was done with the PS4 guys.
The decision to remove the PS Store from PS3 and PSP on PS3 happened under Ryan's tenure. The entire crux of my massive post, which you are freely choosing to ignore is how modern PlayStation, under Ryan's tenure, does not respect the history of PlayStation. Ryan himself, as my own post, has said he doesn't understand the point in playing old games. The only reason they reversed course was the immense backlash they received as the playstation store is the only method you can play some of those titles and with PS5 not having BC beyond PS4? RIP. Those are Jim and his teams decisions. I shouldn't have to hold your hand on this issue. Modern PlayStation is less concerned with PlayStation's famous diversity and are more interested in chasing similar big budget movie like experiences. Their disdain for Japanese titles especially during a time of growing love and re-appreciation for Japanese games is utterly daft and is pushing a lot of those games to a more kind atmosphere in Nintendo. Even famous studios that had intense loyalty to Sony such as Atlus are putting their games on all platforms. Soul Hackers 2 will be on all systems and not just PlayStation for example. PS5 changed the circle button to cross for confirm in Japan despite a nearly 30 year tradition of circle being confirm just to universalize it towards western gaming.

To act like people have no reason to dislike Ryan is to be completely ignorant of his own words and actions.

Ryan is a suit and not a creative who does not understand his brand, his base, or their history. Continue to evade the point all you like.

farmerboy

Jim Ryan is the reason Playstation doesn't talk to us anymore. Shawn Layden, Andrew House, and Jack Trenton loved their Playstation fan base. Jim Ryan......doesn't hate us, he just doesn't care either way what we think at all! As long as we spend money, that's the only thing he seems to care about.
You do know the ones that talk to you still don't give a shit, right?

Three

The first 3 years of the PS4? Really?

Bloodborne
The Last Guardian
Infamous Second Son & First Light
The Order 1886
Ratchet & Clank
Until Dawn
DriveClub
Killzone: Shadofall
KNACK

First 3 years of PS5

Returnal
Demon's Souls
Ratchet and Clank
God Of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Spider Man Miles Morales
Spider Man 2

Don't know about you but looking kind of dope to me so far even with just first party and not counting Sifu, Kena, Ghostwire, Deathloop etc.

I’ll never understand the “sony abandoned its japanese roots” criticisms. You mean its japanese roots in square enix, Konami and capcom games? Which they still get and even go out of their way to get exclusivity and marketing rights for?

Sony never made big AAA japanese games outside of Gran Turismo

Last edited:

Three

CEO wars is some weird ass fanboy shit

Who even knew or cared who the CEOs were 10 years ago? Nobody
It's because MS did a PR move of making somebody who was at xbox for 20yrs that nobody had heard of until Mattrick left into the next "Kaz" meme. It's all nonsense and nobody should care honestly.

The decision to remove the PS Store from PS3 and PSP on PS3 happened under Ryan's tenure. The entire crux of my massive post, which you are freely choosing to ignore is how modern PlayStation, under Ryan's tenure, does not respect the history of PlayStation. Ryan himself, as my own post, has said he doesn't understand the point in playing old games. The only reason they reversed course was the immense backlash they received as the playstation store is the only method you can play some of those titles and with PS5 not having BC beyond PS4? RIP. Those are Jim and his teams decisions. I shouldn't have to hold your hand on this issue. Modern PlayStation is less concerned with PlayStation's famous diversity and are more interested in chasing similar big budget movie like experiences. Their disdain for Japanese titles especially during a time of growing love and re-appreciation for Japanese games is utterly daft and is pushing a lot of those games to a more kind atmosphere in Nintendo. Even famous studios that had intense loyalty to Sony such as Atlus are putting their games on all platforms. Soul Hackers 2 will be on all systems and not just PlayStation for example. PS5 changed the circle button to cross for confirm in Japan despite a nearly 30 year tradition of circle being confirm just to universalize it towards western gaming.

To act like people have no reason to dislike Ryan is to be completely ignorant of his own words and actions.

Ryan is a suit and not a creative who does not understand his brand, his base, or their history. Continue to evade the point all you like.

Weird how no one gives a shit about nintendo shutting down its WII-U and 3DS stores, two consoles that the Switch doesn’t even have backwards compatibility for which are a lot more recent than PS3 and VITA:unsure:

On top of that fact that Nintendo doesn’t offer any real legacy library in it’s online services.

Last edited:

Three

I’ll never understand the “sony abandoned its japanese roots” criticisms. You mean its japanese roots in square enix, Konami and capcom games? Which they still get and even go out of their way to get exclusivity and marketing rights for?

Sony never made big AAA japanese games
That and the fact that they didn't leave their Japanese roots, Japan left the home consoles. That's why Konami don't care to release anything on any console anymore and Capcom only made a comeback with the PS4 in the west with RE and SF.

Last edited:
This is something you imagined due to being irrationally emotional, i said nor implied any such thing.

The decision to remove the PS Store from PS3 and PSP on PS3 happened under Ryan's tenure.
What does that have to do with focusing on America? POr as you say "giving" PS to America?

Also you are aware Sony tried that before Jim Ryan but they backtracked due to backlash too? It's the same thing.

under Ryan's tenure, does not respect the history of PlayStation. Ryan himself, as my own post, has said he doesn't understand the point in playing old games.

This didn't start with Ryan it started with the PS4, and in fact, the first stages were implemented on the PS3.

PS5 not having BC beyond PS4? RIP. Those are Jim and his teams decisions.
Why are you pretending Sony wasn't already doing this before with the avoiding BC issue? Goes bac to the PS3.

I shouldn't have to hold your hand on this issue.

I shouldn't have to make you think about you're bad reasoning before pushing it out.

Modern PlayStation is less concerned with PlayStation's famous diversity and are more interested in chasing similar big budget movie like experiences.
Seems like another issue that started on the PS3, and in this case arguably saved the console in the 2nd half of the gen.

Their disdain for Japanese titles especially during a time of growing love and re-appreciation for Japanese games
Where? Not sure what western sales numbers you are looking at (for home consoles/PC) also what distain? PS5 basically launched with a japanese title, and a bunch of japanese third-party support partnerships. If you are talking about First-party Sony's been lopsided to the west since the...PS3.

Even famous studios that had intense loyalty to Sony such as Atlus are putting their games on all platforms.

With Persona Microsoft literally had to talk with them and negotiate to bring those over to Xbox/PC, and wouldn't be surprised if that applied to other titles too. This wouldn't be a good example to what you claim.

PS5 changed the circle button to cross for confirm in Japan despite a nearly 30 year tradition of circle being confirm just to universalize it towards western gaming.
Actually it was to be competitive to Xbox/PC/other controllers, also I think Nintendo uses that format? Anyway, you listed one reasonable concern.

The issue isn't about defending Jim Ryan, you're reasoning are mostly just junk or apply before him. He's made many mistakes, including studio closures which he was involved with to a point, Evolution and say, Japan Studio too (somehow these were not the first things you thought of) among some hairbrained decisions.

But most of what you have been ranting about already existed.

That and the fact that they didn't leave their Japanese roots, Japan left the home consoles. That's why Konami don't care to release anything on any console anymore and Capcom only made a comeback with the PS4 in the west with RE and SF.
Actually Sony had GT and Legend of Dragoon for AA Japanese first party exclusives. That were made internally

That's all I can recall though, anything else was 2nd or third party. The Mascot on the PS1 was an American Orange spinny thing, Parappa which was brought up by the guy going after jim Ryan was made by a third-party too.

The earliest acquisitions were Psygnosis, and Syphon Filter studio Eidentic.

\yeah, just look how important japan is to capcom these days

M2HfpSw_d.webp

Actually Sony had GT and Legend of Dragoon for AA Japanese first party exclusives. That were made internally

That's all I can recall though, anything else was 2nd or third party. The Mascot on the PS1 was an American Orange spinny thing, Parappa which was brought up by the guy going after jim Ryan was made by a third-party too.

The earliest acquisitions were Psygnosis, and Syphon Filter studio Eidentic.

Yeah, the japan studio stuff was always sonys quirky side projects. Wild Arms was also published by Sony, never blew up.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

In reality, it's people like Imran Khan who doesn't understand PlayStations brand, base, or history. He's another echochamber ideologue who fears the unknown.

Jim Ryan does because his personal opinions on games (he's probably not a gamer) doesn't impact how he views the data.

In other words, PlayStations audience is Fortnite players, not The Last of Us 2 players, despite what marketing tries to sell you.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Reminds me of the famous quote from Henry Ford.

- If I asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses.

Jim Ryan is doing a fine job in general. He’s just not that good at PR and don’t have stage presence which unfortunately or not is capital in the social media/hype driven time we’re living in.

Last edited:
In reality, it's people like Imran Khan who doesn't understand PlayStations brand, base, or history. He's another echochamber ideologue who fears the unknown.

Jim Ryan does because his personal opinions on games (he's probably not a gamer) doesn't impact how he views the data.

In other words, PlayStations audience is Fortnite players, not The Last of Us 2 players, despite what marketing tries to sell you.

This is it.

People are outraged because Jim Ryan is simply calling it as he sees it as someone who isn’t emotionally invested in the hobby. He see thats no one is buying shit on the ps3/vita shop, he looks at the security risk to keep it open, and he says “why the FOOK are we bloody doing this? Who is this FOOKING For?” And everyone looks at each other and shrugs.

So many things the fans want and demand is purely hollow. Like i said, the biggest “game enthusiast” aren’t spending money on games. Everyone demands a bloodborne remaster/remake but how many of them are also going to say its not worth the price when its announced and curse sony for even daring to charge anything more than 40 dollars for it?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ken kutaragi will always be the best PS CEO because he had a vision for the console besides just AAA cinematic 'video games'.

He was the first man to actually stand up to nintendo in the handheld market, with the PSP surpassing the DS in every way that isn't sales (fight me)
He was a man who treated Japanese and American games equally instead of clearly showing favoritism towards one or the other with censorship.
He cared about consumers, to the point where even when Xbox was doing the paid online BS he stuck to his guns with the PS3.
He knew how to create amazing, beloved UIs such as the XMB which is still regarded by many as one of the greatest Console UIs ever made.
He never stuck to the past, with each playstation console under his reign including better storage with CDs, better controllers, and more high tech features. He managed to triumph over nintendo by using CDs in an era of Cartridges. Even the PS3, which many shit on for being expensive, was ahead of its time.

What in the actual fuck has Jim Ryan done that's anywhere close to the innovations this man has made? Why should I give a rats ass about him when frankly he's the main reason i've been disinterested in the PlayStation brand for over a decade? Ken Kutaragi was the soul of PlayStation, the Iwata to Sony's Nintendo. Without him i couldn't give less of a fuck. Shawn Layden, Jim Ryan don't care. They're both American CEOs who honestly could never recapture that magic cuz they never understood it to begin with.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Jim Ryan is the man, best Sony exec ever. Thanks to Jim Ryan PC gamers have access to the best Sony exclusive franchises.

DaGwaphics

As Dusk Falls is similar to a Quantic Dream game. Its not something I would say is worth $60 or $70. Thats part of why the sub model helps that type of game shine. It allows more exposure to diverse genres that may not be financially viable by themselves. Thats what has me excited about the future; The combination of studios with the sub model.

Sony hasn't really done that yet and it does make a difference. But they probably will be doing that soon. As I said in my first post Ryan is catching up quickly and PS Extra seems solid.

Completely agree. While some see gaming subs as a disaster, I see them as a savior for some of the genres that aren't lighting up the sales chart at any given moment. With +Extra and GP going, it will be interesting to see what we get in the long term. I understand that GAAS will be a major focus for both MS and Sony, but I also don't want to have nothing available but hundreds of variations of the same 5 games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In Reggie’s book he discussed growing up playing video games, playing The Legend of Zelda while working his executive job, and using that love and passion to help push Nintendo to the top of the industry. Reggie Fils-Aime was a very good president for Nintendo. Reggie finished when the Switch was just about to take over globally. His starting point was to help Nintendo move up when the Xbox and PS2 were taking over, the announcement of the DS, and then the Wii. Nintendo has also changed direction with the Switch. You have a console/handheld hybrid with the Switch. It all boils down to great software, which Nintendo already has.

Sony did incredibly well because Microsoft was making some awful PR statements and Sony could dominate like they did with the PS1 and PS2. Sony has always given the players fascinating software, fan favorites, and etc. That’s why I don’t feel like Sony is in a bad position. Microsoft has bits and pieces of that, but to me they’re crafting their own wholesome Marketplace that can satisfy anyone. The industry has also changed quite a bit in the last couple years. We have digital consoles, E3 isn’t really necessary, and there are subscription services for people wanting a casual experience with the consoles. If anything, Jim Ryan’s backseat approach is where we are headed. A game console doesn’t need a good outspoken PR voice anymore. It needs a good State of Play with a good game announcement to win over fans.

Last edited:

Himuro

LOL. I didn't realize people took system wars so seriously here. I'll not engage further. People are allowed to distance ourselves from PlayStation despite whatever feelings you may have. I have made my case. You are perfectly fine disagreeing.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

The last mainstream home console that seriously targeted the Japanese market (other than Nintendo) was the PS3 in 2006

Japan didn't leave anything they had nowhere to go because PlayStation has intentionally shifted away from the Japanese audience

From moving the HQ to north america and changing the O/X in Japan

Companies like Konami, Capcom are responding to the shift that PlayStation themselves initiated

Numerous Japanese publishers have moved Japanese centric games over to Switch and PC because it was clear they would have very little support on PlayStation

The idea that Japan was suddenly uninterested in home consoles around the exact time PlayStation shifted focus is complete rubbish

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think he's done just fine:
  • He's continued to give his core base what they want most (good single player games)
  • Expanded PS+ as a response to Game Pass
  • Expanded to PC - which despite how one may feel about that is a common sense business move
  • Continued to diversify from the competition with stuff like PS VR2, the DualSense, and proprietary spatial audio to ensure everyone can benefit from it not just those with required third party hardware (I know he didn't come up with these things, but under his leadership they've continued to be improved)
  • Identified PlayStation's main weakness - a lack of a strong catalog of GaaS games and studios capable of creating them - and has been taking action towards correcting that weakness

Beyond that none of us know what he's working on behind the scenes. He probably has many irons in the fire considering the sheer size and ambition of PlayStation.

Besides, despite all of the doom and gloom, Microsoft gobbling up as many studios as possible, major PlayStation games coming to PC, and the existence of Game Pass, PlayStation remains the largest gaming brand and is still easily - easily - the more desired platform.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think some of you people having way too high expectation on Jim.

Jim Ryan is facing the current Microsoft lead by Phil, not the TV guy. So its a hard task for him.

I think Jimbo has done a pretty good job so far.

Himuro

Weird how no one gives a shit about nintendo shutting down its WII-U and 3DS stores, two consoles that the Switch doesn’t even have backwards compatibility for which are a lot more recent than PS3 and VITA:unsure:

On top of that fact that Nintendo doesn’t offer any real legacy library in it’s online services.
This is the only thing left I'll respond to because it is extremely poor logic. "No one gave a shit about Nintendo closing Wii U eShop" is factually incorrect. In fact, Nintendo got lots of flack for selling games over and not transferring over Virtual Console purchases. In fact, in reality land, Nintendo achieved tons of backlash for not having VC on Switch period and having to use a rental service of sorts, forcing people to wait, wait, wait. People clamored for Earthbound being on the Switch SNES and Mother 1 on NES Switch services for YEARS. It absolutely was an issue.

Here's the difference: people have the expectation that Nintendo have anti-consumer practices. Its been there for years.

People have a completely different expectation from Sony, the same company that allowed you to buy a PS1 classic game on PS3 and download the very same title and play portable on your PSP or the company that made BC to begin with.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is it.

People are outraged because Jim Ryan is simply calling it as he sees it as someone who isn’t emotionally invested in the hobby. He see thats no one is buying shit on the ps3/vita shop, he looks at the security risk to keep it open, and he says “why the FOOK are we bloody doing this? Who is this FOOKING For?” And everyone looks at each other and shrugs.

So many things the fans want and demand is purely hollow. Like i said, the biggest “game enthusiast” aren’t spending money on games. Everyone demands a bloodborne remaster/remake but how many of them are also going to say its not worth the price when its announced and curse sony for even daring to charge anything more than 40 dollars for it?

rick-and-morty-this-guy-gets-it.gif

DaGwaphics

People have a completely different expectation from Sony, the same company that allowed you to buy a PS1 classic game on PS3 and download the very same title and play portable on your PSP or the company that made BC to begin with.

185248--master-system-converter.png

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Though Atari may have done one of these first.

This is the only thing left I'll respond to because it is extremely poor logic. "No one gave a shit about Nintendo closing Wii U eShop" is factually incorrect. In fact, Nintendo got lots of flack for selling games over and not transferring over Virtual Console purchases. In fact, in reality land, Nintendo achieved tons of backlash for not having VC on Switch period and having to use a rental service of sorts, forcing people to wait, wait, wait. People clamored for Earthbound being on the Switch SNES and Mother 1 on NES Switch services for YEARS. It absolutely was an issue.

Here's the difference: people have the expectation that Nintendo have anti-consumer practices. Its been there for years.

No one really gave nintendo shit for anything, people are already waiting on bated breath for another barebones zelda remaster and it will sell millions. Theres a double standard in the industry for nintendo and their rehashing of full priced remastered.

People were saying bowsers fury and mario should have been nominated for GOTY last year lol

Could anyone here even imagine nintendo offering WII U games on a sub service for 100 bucks a year? Lets not even go crazy at the thoguht of them offering launch switch games.

Last edited:
He’s as charismatic as a block of wood, though. There are CEOs that can come off as likeable and still do a great job. So far I think Ryan has come off as pretty stiff and uninspiring and done a just-good-enough job but with some verbal missteps.
He doesn't have to be likeable.

Jesus Christ, these guys are not your friends. He's got a job to do and he's doing it well. That's all that matters. This is a business, not a social club.

The same with Spencer. Don't give two fucks what he says. As long as he delivers the games that the community expects of the Xbox brand, all the other shit doesn't and shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Jim deserves at least half of the smoke he gets.🤷‍♂️. I've never been a fan. Made it clear of what I don't like in regards to how the ship is being ran with him and Hermen.

Same. Never understood the forced meme of him laughing, especially when he can't even top Kaz's laugh gifs. If anything, he was passed the baton of success. It was hard to fuck up.
One thing I will credit his tenure with: PlayStation Exclusives on PC. Especially doing it when there are PS5 shortages. :messenger_ok:

SLB1904

Banned
I think xbox fans really like him for what he did for PlayStation, just like ps fans like DonMattrick

Yeah sure.
I bet they are, watching all these playstation releases while their console got fuck all

I don't care about Sony's finances, I just want them to make games that I'd like to play.

Why do people here act like PRs for billionaire companies?
Is not about you sweetheart

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I'm going to get hated for saying this, but people claim to hate him for various reasons, but deep inside they hated him for bringing exclusives to PC, they just doesn't have the audacity to admit it cause in the current environment it will earns them the title of fanboy.

But just think about it, its the most rational thing for Sony to do now, cause due to supply constraint for the PS5 hardware, what do you expect them to do? They had to find other platform to sell their software.

There is a possibility in the future after their hardware had larger user pool, they might going back to their exclusive business once again, who knows, in the end hardware sales matters because 30% cut from every third party games sold and bunch of subscription services are their main source of risk free income (or else they could just became a software company like Sega, why even bother with hardware), contrary to what people believe first party software is there to function as an incentive to increase their user pool, making profit on their own is a secondary objective. But in the current supply constraint situation, they have no realistic means to expand their user base, but all the software studios still needs to pay their salaries, even if its a temporary solution, its a good idea to sell their software to other platform.

This is just my personal take.

Last edited:
I'm going to get hated for saying this, but people claim to hate him for various reasons, but deep inside they hated him for bringing exclusives to PC, they just doesn't have the audacity to admit it cause in the current environment it will earns them the title of fanboy.

But just think about it, its the most rational thing for Sony to do now, cause due to supply constraint for the PS5 hardware, what do you expect them to do? They had to find other platform to sell their software.

There is a possibility in the future after their hardware had larger user pool, they might going back to their exclusive business once again, who knows, in the end hardware sales matters because 30% cut from every third party games sold is their main source of risk free income (or else they could just became a software company like Sega, why even bother with hardware), contrary to what people believe first party software is there to function as an incentive to increase their user pool, making profit on their own is a secondary objective. But in the current supply constraint situation, they have no realistic means to expand their user base, but all the software studio still needs to pay their salaries, even if its a temporary solution, its a good idea to sell their software to other platform.

This is just my personal take.
Sony are the ones that lost the most game sales currently. Their main problem is not due to supply constraint.

Kokoloko85

Outside of game releases between 2020 and now ( which were all in developement before he took charge ) I really don’t like anything Playstation has been doing. PS+ is in a better place but everything else is kinda shite.

He’s done alright, console sales wise despite covid and stock issues, but everything else is poop for me.
I know of 3 games coming in 2023/2024, I have zero idea what else sony is working on or doing. Not a fan of the PC stuff, not a fan of letting all your Japanese talent leave, not a fan of 3rd party exclusives going.
So not sure what I need to be thankful of Jim for?

Top Bottom