• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim should have stayed with Karen

watching the Superfan episodes really highlights how terrible Pam is. she's lame, corny and generic as fuck.

she's also just a giant loser. she failed being a salesman, failed at art school, and basically had to lie and cheat herself into a promotion as office manager. meanwhile she sabotaged Jim and Karen's relationship by telling Jim how she feels AFTER he's in a serious, committed relationship. not really a surprise given that she was flirting with Jim non-stop while engaged to Roy. she also forced Jim into abandoning his dream job.

meanwhile Karen is far more attractive, funnier, and a winner. Pam broke off her engagement with Roy and while single managed to do absolutely nothing to change her life for the better. Jim breaks up with Karen and Karen pretty much immediately becomes a manager.

even Cathy would have been a gigantic upgrade.

tumblr_m1dxqqUhLE1qi9oz8o1_400.gifv

Doom85

So you’re saying Pam was often unmotivated, had an easy job, and spent most of her life goofing around?

Wow, can’t believe Mr. “I only do about an hour’s worth of work per day and spend the rest trolling Dwight or just generally not giving a shit” Jim Halpert ended up with her…..

To be clear, not hating on either. But I will never understand someone who has a legit beef with one and not the other. They’re similar in so many ways.

So you’re saying Pam was often unmotivated, had an easy job, and spent most of her life goofing around?
I'm not saying that at all. Pam actually seemed to put in serious effort to change her life, she just genuinely sucks at accomplishing her goals. Probably due to low IQ tbh. She was motivated enough to quit her job for a career change and motivated enough to move out of state to better her education. She just failed miserably at both.

Complete opposite of Jim who seems to put in very little effort yet excel at what he does. Jim ended up being a great salesman who was eventually rewarded with promotions on numerous occasions.

Tschumi

They just made the mistake of trying to keep them apart for as long as possible.. the first season was fantastic but they should have just got together and the rest of the show should have been about other developments, so much gold in the other relationships etc

Also Karen would have, eventually, eaten jim up in the maw of her general competence.

Last edited:

Doom85

I'm not saying that at all. Pam actually seemed to put in serious effort to change her life, she just genuinely sucks at accomplishing her goals. Probably due to low IQ tbh. She was motivated enough to quit her job for a career change and motivated enough to move out of state to better her education. She just failed miserably at both.

Complete opposite of Jim who seems to put in very little effort yet excel at what he does. Jim ended up being a great salesman who was eventually rewarded with promotions on numerous occasions.

That’s true, I admit I remember the early seasons better than the second half of the series. I will say it did feel like Pam sometimes wasn’t given the encouragement she might have needed. Roy put down her desire to self-improve at least once IIRC, and then you had the episode where Michael was the only one to show up to her art gallery, and while what he told her was uplifting, you could tell it probably shook her that only one person she knew showed up.

Speaks volumes that the first thing you list about Karen is that she's "way more attractive" and show a GIF of Cathy's ass as some sort of proof that she would have been a better choice.

Putting aside the fact that Pam is extremely attractive anyway, looks shouldn't be the priority, buddy.

Speaks volumes that the first thing you list about Karen is that she's "way more attractive" and show a GIF of Cathy's ass as some sort of proof that she would have been a better choice.

Putting aside the fact that Pam is extremely attractive anyway, looks shouldn't be the priority, buddy.
I mean… yes and no. Looks are a prerequisite for most people. They don’t determine long term successful relationships, but physical attraction is what gets the ball rolling.

Pam was fine. Kind of milquetoast and whiny. But she seemed nice and caring. Probably decent mother material, which is great. Jim was drifting aimlessly for the first 2/3 of the show, so it isn’t like Pam’s struggles to find her way were unique. Her failure to see things through would be a red flag. And the whole cameraman thing in the last season was just strange and out of left field.

Jim was a bit of a douche to Karen. Karen was a bit neurotic and I would’ve personally found he a bit annoying, but Jim was actively going after Pam while they were dating. Not a good look.

Cathy was a lunatic. Red flags all over the place. I’m sure she would’ve been fun in small doses, but awful to date.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Pam eventually made the show way too mushy. About 3/4 through I wasn’t enjoying it as much and was glad it ended
The fun ends for me once Jim and Pam got married. It's not that I need them to be endlessly pining for each other, and I'm glad the writers didn't use their relationship like a carrot on a stick any longer, but they just weren't as funny as a couple. They were written to be "cute" or relatable as a couple, rather then funny.

Last edited:
They both have afwul moments and in some ways are awful people, just like pretty much everyone else on the show.

I can sympathize with Jim though...

nBa9dh6.gif
I just recently rewatched Blades of Glory. She should have been a movie star after the office, and not just had a few roles.

Rran

I think Pam's a great character, for the most part. Endearing, sincere, clever, makes a very funny straight man for Michael to bounce off of, etc. Season 6 and (and the latest seasons) were a lot weaker due to Pam's character getting way more petulant and unlikeable.

Karen was fine but kind of boring. Jim had way more chemistry and funny moments with Pam and they were both a bit mischievous which made them a good team.

Kathy was just nuts, what the heck. She tells someone on the phone that she's planning to seduce a married man she barely knows. Run far away from this person.

Top Bottom