• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs. The Rock vs. Awkwafina Twitterpocalypse 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Everyone knows the drama that's been going on with Joe Rogan and Spotify, and it hit the maximum cancellation level today when one of the artists leaving Spotify dug up a montage of Rogan saying the N-word from a long time ago, which went viral and then Spotify and Rogan deleted like 70 episodes after he apologized.

But it gets better.

the rock a mans butt GIF

The Rock stepped in it by supporting Rogan:
FKnKPFrWQAM00b5

Which of course incited the mob, and they got The Rock to turn on Rogan:
FK2xEsGXsAUCM_C

200.gif

But it's not over yet! The Rock, being a professional wrestler and a history of shoots, doesn't have a squeaky clean record himself, and Rogan supporters DUG IN.

He deleted this:
FK265MyWQAohHQK

The Rock Omg GIF by MOODMAN

Then they discovered this promo against Cena:

the rock asian GIF

What does Awkwafina have to do with all this? She quit Twitter in the midst of this psychosis.

Kilau

Hmmm, I like all these people, well I don’t really have an opinion on Rogan I just remember him as a comedian.

I’m going to continue to be ignorant and enjoy my bliss.

Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

betrayal

Banned
I'm curious to see when people will realize that everyone, without exception, can be canceled on the basis of current social standards.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Mankind is the only species on earth that is evolving backwards and it will only take a few more thousand years until we live in the stone age again. But probably it will happen much faster. It has demonstrably taken only a few decades to clearly show that people are becoming dumber again and are primarily driven more frequently and more easily by predetermined emotions. Just like animals.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm curious to see when people will realize that everyone, without exception, can be canceled on the basis of current social standards.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Mankind is the only species on earth that is evolving backwards and it will only take a few more thousand years until we live in the stone age again. But probably it will happen much faster. It has demonstrably taken only a few decades to clearly show that people are becoming dumber again and are primarily driven more frequently and more easily by predetermined emotions. Just like animals.
idiocracy GIF

CGiRanger

Banned
Man I miss 2009 - 2012 era Twitter, people didn't give a shit.
It was a much better time, no question of it.

Fuck Cancel Culture. I despise Whoopi *rape rape* Goldberg but she shouldn't have had to face anything for her comments (even if she was given so much benefit of the doubt compared to others), nor should people like Gina Carano get booted for theirs.

I also hate the disingenuous behavior that this is all somehow a "new revelation" by people. Everyone knew who these people were a decade ago and no one cared. It's only now being brought up out of convenience to silence people.

I remember a time when all companies had to do was put up the disclaimer of "The views and opinions of such and such do not represent those of our company" and leave it at that. Better times indeed.

Last edited:

GHG

Drama Reaction GIF

So does this mean Rogan is now in the clear since everyone is focusing on the Rock?

From what I've witnessed the mob loves fresh blood so if you're in the crosshairs it's best to just ride it out until they get bored and move on to something/someone else.

Now it's the rocks turn to rise it out and apologise to nobody.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is like watching your trailer park neighbors have a knock down drag out fight and you are struggling to decide whether to call the cops or just enjoy the fun :p

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Yeah it's racism now because clips of him saying some really racist stuff came out as a result of the misinformation that has allowed on his show getting pulled into the spotlight. He has also made transphobic comments in the past as well so yeah those will probably get coverage as well.

He is catching shit because he has a big platform and has used it to say some really dumb and really offensive stuff. Spotify is now trying to protect themselves and their image. That's how it goes. The idea that they are just going through a checklist as part of some concerted effort to purposely cancel him is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Yeah it's racism now because clips of him saying some really racist stuff came out as a result of the misinformation that has allowed on his show. He has also made transphobic comments in the past as well so yeah those will probably get coverage as well.

He is catching shit because he has said some really offensive stuff. That's how it goes. The idea that they are just going through a checklist as part of some concerted effort to purposely cancel him is just ridiculous.
You disingenous POS. EVERYONE in Hollywood has said repugnant shit, but of course you're utterly, and hypocritically blind to it.

Again, we just went through this with WHOOPI. But guess what, all they asked from her is a simple apology and she was immediately vindicated right? Funny how that double-standard works so well eh? What do you have to say about that?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

You disingenous POS. EVERYONE in Hollywood has said repugnant shit, but of course you're utterly, and hypocritically blind to it.

Again, we just went through this with WHOOPI. But guess what, all they asked from her is a simple apology and she was immediately vindicated right? Funny how that double-standard works so well eh? What do you have to say about that?
Everyone in Hollywood used the phrase "Planet of the Apes" to describe going to a black neighborhood? Everyone in Hollywood has a load of clips of them dropping the N word? Clips of them talking about how black people have different brains?

Even of you truly believe that you cannot deny that the stuff is said is wrong. Spotify has every right to step in and moderate their platform in order to protect their business. Rogan is having to lie in the bed that he made for himself. That's on him. Lucky for him he is likely too popular and valuable for Spotify to actually terminate his contract.

Batiman

Banned

Bro chill out. Bro I’m pretty sure not everyone in Hollywood said racist shit Rogan said. Dude is an idiot regardless. I’m not sure how ppl listen to him spout his bullshit. He does have some interesting guests but that’s it really

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If he's not on Spotify I will cancel my sub. I'm so tired of trying to tread this line which one side is constantly moving and another is busy adjusting to.

The media is vile and toxic and trying to silence one side continuously while the other can simply have their hypocrisy continuing to exist just shows how unbalanced things are.

And I'm the immigrant 100% foreign blood with a black Ecuadorian wife lol

I guess that makes me the bad side according to pundits.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

If he's not on Spotify I will cancel my sub. I'm so tired of trying to tread this line which one side is constantly moving and another is busy adjusting to.

The media is vile and toxic and trying to silence one side continuously while the other can simply have their hypocrisy continuing to exist just shows how unbalanced things are.

And I'm the immigrant 100% foreign blood with a black Ecuadorian wife lol

I guess that makes me the bad side according to pundits.
Nobody is moving any line here. Blatant racism has always been wrong.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Joe Rogan is a grade A dumbass and a real
asshole as well. Honestly, if anyone deserves to be cancelled he’s probably it but this is just going to make him more popular amongst his followers.

Last edited:

Mistake

Everyone in Hollywood used the phrase "Planet of the Apes" to describe going to a black neighborhood? Everyone in Hollywood has a load of clips of them dropping the N word? Clips of them talking about how black people have different brains?

Even of you truly believe that you cannot deny that the stuff is said is wrong. Spotify has every right to step in and moderate their platform in order to protect their business. Rogan is having to lie in the bed that he made for himself. That's on him. Lucky for him he is likely too popular and valuable for Spotify to actually terminate his contract.
I didn’t see the smear montage of him saying all that, but I’m not exactly a fan of those kind of clips. Too much missing context. Him apologizing just made everything worse, but to be honest, that’s what I expected him to do

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Joe's comment was racist, definitely. It's not like this incident wasn't known about--it was a very long time ago. I saw a clip of it years ago, thought it was fucked up but that Joe was on drugs and trying to be funny, he crossed the line, and it wasn't a pattern of behavior for him. That's one of the problems with cancellations. The worst things you've ever said from anywhere in the past will be dredged up, stripped of context, built into a narrative about how awful a human you are, and thrown out onto social media for an angry mob to go haywire about. Those PotA comments were fucked up and indefensible, but they don't define who he is as a person overall. There are thousands of hours of candid conversational footage of Joe. He's a moron, not a racist.

Joe's comment was racist, definitely. It's not like this incident wasn't known about--it was a very long time ago. I saw a clip of it years ago, thought it was fucked up but that Joe was on drugs and trying to be funny, he crossed the line, and it wasn't a pattern of behavior for him. That's one of the problems with cancellations. The worst things you've ever said from anywhere in the past will be dredged up, stripped of context, built into a narrative about how awful a human you are, and thrown out onto social media for an angry mob to go haywire about. Those PotA comments were fucked up and indefensible, but they don't define who he is as a person overall. There are thousands of hours of candid conversational footage of Joe. He's a moron, not a racist.
So, he’s not a racist but his comment was racist? What?

teezzy

Banned
Yeah it's racism now because clips of him saying some really racist stuff came out as a result of the misinformation that has allowed on his show getting pulled into the spotlight. He has also made transphobic comments in the past as well so yeah those will probably get coverage as well.

He is catching shit because he has a big platform and has used it to say some really dumb and really offensive stuff. Spotify is now trying to protect themselves and their image. That's how it goes. The idea that they are just going through a checklist as part of some concerted effort to purposely cancel him is just ridiculous.

Lmfao breh

Amiga

I remember when the definition of "offensive stuff" changes every generation. now it's several times a year. the curs of constant software updates has infected culture itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom