• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs. The Rock vs. Awkwafina Twitterpocalypse 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
The worst is people that post they are canceling Spotify for some kind of morality point.. no one gives a fuck .
More I tweet therefore I am nonsense
All this noise is just making me want to listen to Rogan more

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's weird where people draw a line. You're going to cancel spotify and move to apple? Okay. I hope you're fine that they source parts from china and they use forced labor. Or Amazon. You're fine with giving Bezos even more money to not give his underpaid workforce? Okay. At least they don't have Rogan!

VN1X

Banned
I stand with Jabba, er, I mean Whoopi.

220201183904-whoopi-goldberg-the-view-0201-super-169.jpg
One of Steven Crowder shows' last week involved a lot of Whoopi and their impressions always get me on that show.

I think Whoopi used to be great mind you but the shit she spouts these days deserves to be ridiculed lol.

Thaedolus

More I tweet therefore I am nonsense
It’s essentially this in many cases- no meaning in real life, therefore find meaning in made up struggles. And it’s common to both sides as well, one side acting like words are violence and the other acting like being asked to take some protective measures against a deadly plague is akin to the holocaust.

It’s like…go outside once in a while people. Get a hobby. Take pictures of your lunch or whatever.

Jsisto

It's weird where people draw a line. You're going to cancel spotify and move to apple? Okay. I hope you're fine that they source parts from china and they use forced labor. Or Amazon. You're fine with giving Bezos even more money to not give his underpaid workforce? Okay. At least they don't have Rogan!
I’d argue Spotify is the least damaging of the main music streaming companies on a global scale, by a pretty significant margin.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wtf is an awkwafina?!
I kind of have this response to Joe Rogan. In my head he is still the meathead guy who made people eat bugs and when I tried to listen to his podcast had an extended Fleshlight ad that went on for at least 10 minutes of him and whoever else was there talking about their personal experiences with it before I switched off.
And somehow he is now an iconic cultural touchstone and media juggernaut.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Big play, and easily worthwhile for Rumble as a platform. Doubt anything will come of it because the reality is Spotify is caught between a rock and a hard place with this, if they try to remove Rogan it'll be a massive hit to their bottom line, because no doubt it will cost them millions of subs.

dcll

Banned
I don't give a shit about Joe Rogan, I like many of the guests and conversations but I really care about freedom of speech, against censorship and just like freedom in general and will not side with any dirty commies, moral police, modern day witch hunt types and the like

Last edited:

GymWolf

I kind of have this response to Joe Rogan. In my head he is still the meathead guy who made people eat bugs and when I tried to listen to his podcast had an extended Fleshlight ad that went on for at least 10 minutes of him and whoever else was there talking about their personal experiences with it before I switched off.
And somehow he is now an iconic cultural touchstone and media juggernaut.
I mostly know him for the ufc commentary, but in the latest years he may be the worst commentantor ufc has, also these 3 videos

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
This is social engineering at it's finest.
1*1SCeYleJJEAdwjuGB9RxJQ.gif

Also, I can't believe the guy that hosted Fear Factor has made such a splash. I've never even heard one of his podcast. I didn't know he was as big of a mouth piece as he has become. I've caught in pasting through social media, where you have people that swear by his words and what he talks about, but I've noticed a trend of wannabe meat heads, gym bros, gun enthusiast, insecure nerds, and the people that don't have a lick of personality where they're their own man or woman and need validation from others to feel relevant.

If anything, complaining and making a effort to cancel someone only puts this in the lime light more where I feel like today their PR agent/team want that, because drama is the new buzz.

Everyone wants a Sheldon, "squeaky fucking clean".
bdb54145533882ed577965fe9e807154acf3d613.gifv

But everyone needs to realize that celebrities, politicians, and most of the business world is full of Rainbow Randolph's
e8a9fe80610181443887104a5be74380.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
Rogan is influential mainly because the main stream media has LOST so much influence. A guy with an audience of 10 million (and I doubt every podcast gets that many listens, I used to auto-download the eps and delete any I didn't care for the topic, roughly half of them) is a drop in the bucket of what folks like Walter Cronkite used to reach. But his demographic must skew young. Anyone over 50-60 listening? TV only reaches geriatrics these days.

This is a pre-emptive strike against what Rogan COULD do. Remember how folks were saying certain high profile candidates should go on the show a few years back? Some 2020 hopefuls were on there, not sure how many law makers do it now. Rogan has been determined to be an uncontrollable factor that needs to be removed from the next election cycles so they are trying to make him too toxic to be a guest on the show.

That or someone has pitched to and been rejected by spotify one too many times and is looking to free up some of their capital for them :p

Billbofet

Also, I can't believe the guy that hosted Fear Factor has made such a splash. I've never even heard one of his podcast. I didn't know he was as big of a mouth piece as he has become. I've caught in pasting through social media, where you have people that swear by his words and what he talks about, but I've noticed a trend of wannabe meat heads, gym bros, gun enthusiast, insecure nerds, and the people that don't have a lick of personality where they're their own man or woman and need validation from others to feel relevant.
Joe Rogan is none of the above of what you have listed and assumed of his listeners. I'm sure there are some of those people for sure, but to assume it's his entire 11M/week audience is weak.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
It seems the CEO of Spotify have just back up Rogan, I doubt he's moving out.
I'm not sure I'd categorize this as unwavering support...
Ek then says he’s committing $100 million — the same amount reportedly paid to exclusively distribute Rogan’s show — to licensing, developing, and marketing music and other audio content by creators from historically marginalized groups. He also says the company is expanding the number of outside experts it consults on how to balance user safety and “creator expression” and will share more details.

Gotta love how they'll throw money down the drain there for woke points. And lol at using "experts" on bullshit, it's such a great grift.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Gotta love how they'll throw money down the drain there for woke points.
But that does that stuff even mean? How much does spotify on artists that could be classified as "historically marginalized groups"? Heck, irish music counts if you know your history :p Has anyone ever gone back to collect receipts on this stuff?

Some of this is the DEI shakedown, how much does an "external audit" cost these days? What qualifications do you even need to conduct one?

MrMephistoX

But that does that stuff even mean? How much does spotify on artists that could be classified as "historically marginalized groups"? Heck, irish music counts if you know your history :p Has anyone ever gone back to collect receipts on this stuff?

Some of this is the DEI shakedown, how much does an "external audit" cost these days? What qualifications do you even need to conduct one?
Not to stereotype but most performers are already from marginalized groups? The only good white singers today are basically Adele, old white bands from the 60’s 70’s and 80’s still miraculously alive and on tour like Mic Jagger and Michael Buble…everyone else practically that I can think of is either Black or Latino. Does this mean they’ll start giving English speaking Asian pop stars (BTS and maybe Black Pink excluded ) a chance?

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
Joe Rogan is none of the above of what you have listed and assumed of his listeners. I'm sure there are some of those people for sure, but to assume it's his entire 11M/week audience is weak.
Just an observations of the very few I've come across that feel the need to identify with these type of titles and like to say they believe in the words of Rogan. I don't think that is a majority of his audience, just those that feel the need to identify with these personality traits. The internet and social commentary circles and focuses around the worst aspect of any fan base. I don't think their are 11 million that would all fall under those categories

poppabk

Yeah they are probably already spending that $100 million on licensing music from historically marginalized groups.

///PATRIOT

Banned

daveonezero

Banned
“In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is…in some small way to become evil oneself. One’s standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.”

Theodore Dalrymple

There are many other quotes and sayings about this.

This isn't about religion, hero worship or misleading information.

It is about wrong opinions and a power structure that depends on the narrative to exist.

This is social engineering at it's finest.

Also, I can't believe the guy that hosted Fear Factor has made such a splash. I've never even heard one of his podcast. I didn't know he was as big of a mouth piece as he has become.
How can you hold the observation that it is social engineering at tits finest but the next sentence express disbelief at the numbers the conversation get?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
He should find out who his real friends are by if they publicly support him
Eh, not how the game is played. I bet there are plenty of hollywood friends of his that gotta duck out on this because their livelihood depends on catering to the mob. Or folks that don't have solid sponsorship relationships and can't risk it 'cause they got kids to feed. I suspect Joe is ok with this as hollywood is pretty notorious for "do as I say and not as I do" double talk nonsense. These people are PROFESSIONAL LIARS after all. What is said in the back of the comedy club is gonna be very different than what is said on the red carpet.

squallheart

One of Steven Crowder shows' last week involved a lot of Whoopi and their impressions always get me on that show.

I think Whoopi used to be great mind you but the shit she spouts these days deserves to be ridiculed lol.
Child lol had me rolling too. On another note this is why I built my own server. No Spotify or Amazon here.

NickFire

Twitter has become the real life version of Shirly Jackson's "The Lottery" with a single twist. Instead of sacrificing one human a year, they sacrifice as many as possible while pretending to abide by some code that differs for each victim.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Twitter has become the real life version of Shirly Jackson's "The Lottery" with a single twist. Instead of sacrificing one human a year, they sacrifice as many as possible while pretending to abide by some code that differs for each victim.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Gotta love how they'll throw money down the drain there for woke points. And lol at using "experts" on bullshit, it's such a great grift.

Read it like this instead..."We're going to invest in pop, hip hop, and rap artists (from marginalized groups) over an undisclosed period of time.

That's what Spotify's business model has always been.

poppabk

“In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is…in some small way to become evil oneself. One’s standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.”

Theodore Dalrymple

There are many other quotes and sayings about this.

This isn't about religion, hero worship or misleading information.

It is about wrong opinions and a power structure that depends on the narrative to exist.
This goes both ways. Sheeple, face diapers, communists, stay afraid, it's just the flu etc any of those look familiar?

Billbofet

Just an observations of the very few I've come across that feel the need to identify with these type of titles and like to say they believe in the words of Rogan. I don't think that is a majority of his audience, just those that feel the need to identify with these personality traits. The internet and social commentary circles and focuses around the worst aspect of any fan base. I don't think their are 11 million that would all fall under those categories
Thing is, it's not about believing "in the words of Rogan" at all. It's that he allows discussion and interesting guests on his show - that's it. I don't agree with everything he says or his guests, but I appreciate he makes an effort to have interesting topics/discussions.
This is a good thing. This is how it should be. This is discourse. He admits when he's wrong and he calls out others all the time.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
San Harris chimed in with his latest episode. It was a short 20 minutes one on this, but it was very good. If you’re subscribed give it a listen.

Hari Seldon

I listened to Rogan a lot pre-spotify, and quit when he joined spotify because fucking making another account. But all the controversy lately I finally relented and made a spotify account a few weeks ago. If they boot him off I will immediately delete the app as I have no other use for it. Spotify would be absolutely crazy to boot him though. It would completely kill their company lmao.

daveonezero

Banned
This goes both ways. Sheeple, face diapers, communists, stay afraid, it's just the flu etc any of those look familiar?
Both ways? You assume there are only 2 ways. I'm sure you are referring to Left and Right . but those mean nothing. It could be economics. Challenge all things.

But this topic is about arbiters of what is and isn't disinformation (intentionally misleading) and misinformation (unintentional).
It was posted in this thread but Meidastouch (a super pac) has finger prints in on this.

Best takes on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom