• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs. The Rock vs. Awkwafina Twitterpocalypse 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Joe's comment was racist, definitely. It's not like this incident wasn't known about--it was a very long time ago. I saw a clip of it years ago, thought it was fucked up but that Joe was on drugs and trying to be funny, he crossed the line, and it wasn't a pattern of behavior for him. That's one of the problems with cancellations. The worst things you've ever said from anywhere in the past will be dredged up, stripped of context, built into a narrative about how awful a human you are, and thrown out onto social media for an angry mob to go haywire about. Those PotA comments were fucked up and indefensible, but they don't define who he is as a person overall. There are thousands of hours of candid conversational footage of Joe. He's a moron, not a racist.

I've been saying for a while now that my big issue with cancel culture is the manner in which we're condemning an entire person's persona and public being based on what they said or did when they were at their worst, rather than their best or even their average. The world can't work like that, we can't operate a society in which people are afraid to make mistakes lest they ruin their entire future, it's damning the future for the growing pains of the past. We have all made mistakes, we have all fucked up, lord knows I've said some truly stupid shit in my day, but I don't think that stupid shit I said defines me, or at least I'd prefer that it didn't in any case. I'd prefer to be judged as a devoted father and husband, someone who truly puts their family first, but at the end of the day I said some really vile shit around twenty years ago or so, around the same time we all did. Look, society changes, sensitivities change, but we can't keep condemning people for committing sins before the acts were even known as sins! This is craziness man, all of it, we have lost the script as a people and we have to learn to accept and forgive again. I'm tired of every day finding more pitchforks in people's hands rather than olive branches. What a world.

Cancel cancel culture.

You're uh...You're pretty heavily invested in this aren't you.
Wow. Good one. Do better next time.
I've been saying for a while now that my big issue with cancel culture is the manner in which we're condemning an entire person's persona and public being based on what they said or did when they were at their worst, rather than their best or even their average. The world can't work like that, we can't operate a society in which people are afraid to make mistakes lest they ruin their entire future, it's damning the future for the growing pains of the past. We have all made mistakes, we have all fucked up, lord knows I've said some truly stupid shit in my day, but I don't think that stupid shit I said defines me, or at least I'd prefer that it didn't in any case. I'd prefer to be judged as a devoted father and husband, someone who truly puts their family first, but at the end of the day I said some really vile shit around twenty years ago or so, around the same time we all did. Look, society changes, sensitivities change, but we can't keep condemning people for committing sins before the acts were even known as sins! This is craziness man, all of it, we have lost the script as a people and we have to learn to accept and forgive again. I'm tired of every day finding more pitchforks in people's hands rather than olive branches. What a world.

Cancel cancel culture.
What’s crazy is that the people doing this shit are convinced they’re the most compassionate people around. They pretend to have all this empathy when in reality, they are angry, vindictive people who jump from one moral indignation to the next. They tear down anything they can get their hands on just so they can stand on top of the rubble and feel a little taller.

Amory

Imagine thinking that the combination of "awkward" and the name of a bottled water brand was so great that it became your entire professional identity
Good luck cancelling Joe Rogan. Spotify won't fire him, the contract will go on for another two years and then Joe will become independent again. Regardless, he'll likely still have the biggest podcast on the planet. Normal people see that he's not a racist, so they don't care.
I won't be surprised if Spotify drops him soon, though it's probably the last thing they want to do. They're actively deleting episodes as it is, which is a terrible move whether they're keeping him on or not.

Now that the mob is picking through every episode to find his worst moments it's probably only a matter of time.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The Rock doesn’t have like 5 PR people reading his tweets first?

He endorsed Biden to bring down Trump, guess that doesn’t outweigh tranny jokes.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

This is all so stupid. Rogan says stupid stuff all the time. Part joke, part ignorance, part because he seems to feel that he's among friends in his podcast and not think too much over what he'll say.

He's definitely not someone to hold on a pedestal or whatever, but this discourse "oh he said that word therefore he's racist" is so stupid. Especially since it's not backed by anything else racist and contradicted by guests and friends he's had on his podcast.

Btw, it's stupid to do this to anyone. And it happens all the more often now -- even though this "you're racist/nazi/fascist" dismissive stupidity is most certainly not a new thing.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
This is all so stupid. Rogan says stupid stuff all the time. Part joke, part ignorance, part because he seems to feel that he's among friends in his podcast and not think too much over what he'll say.

He's definitely not someone to hold on a pedestal or whatever, but this discourse "oh he said that word therefore he's racist" is so stupid. Especially since it's not backed by anything else racist and contradicted by guests and friends he's had on his podcast.

Btw, it's stupid to do this to anyone. And it happens all the more often now -- even though this "you're racist/nazi/fascist" dismissive stupidity is most certainly not a new thing.

People with empty lives that sit on Twitter all day can pretend to be saints and hold others to an impossible standard.

I’m sure you’ve never once had even a racist thought. You’re pure as the driven fucking snow, aren’t you? Never made an off color joke or had words that came out the wrong way. Thank goodness we have you to sit in judgement.

Fuck off. People say stupid shit all the time. Everyone says things they wish they hadn’t or things that could’ve come out better. Everyone learns from past mistakes. This is real life.

I’ll make it easy for you, since you seem like a simple person. Have you ever said anything bad? (The answer is yes, in case you aren’t sure) Does that mean you’re a bad person?

So you can say a bad thing and not be a bad person? What?
You wrote a lot for nothing. I didn’t mean that he was racist. To me saying something like the n-word does not make necessarily make the comment in itself racist.

jason10mm

Gold Member
On the first I am unsure because I am not as familiar with the guy as most people seem to be. Most people seem to be split down the middle. He is either just an idiot with diarhea of the mouth or he is a horrible person. I have no idea which is true.
Wow, if only there was a way to educate yourself BEFORE you run your mouth about someone.... have you even listened to the clip being discussed?

The nword stuff is so silly. How much longer before even black guys can't say it and entire music albums, comedy sets, and movies are just deleted from existence?

Batiman

Banned
I’m pretty sure if anyone said those words at work they would be unemployed. This ain’t really cancel culture. This is in any work culture

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Scouring through literally thousands of hours of footage in order to extract out of context N-bombs is not an organic response.

That's organized, deliberate, and well-backed.

There can be ZERO DOUBT that this is political. ZERO.

Especially when Joe never uses that word in a hateful manner on his shows, to the best of my knowledge its only come up when refencing things like Richard Pryor's shows, or book titles that include it (yes, hard R and all in many cases).

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Scouring through literally thousands of hours of footage in order to extract out of context N-bombs is not an organic response.

Especially when Joe never uses that word in a hateful manner on his shows, to the best of my knowledge its only come up when refencing things like Richard Pryor's shows, or book titles that include it (yes, hard R and all in many cases).
You realize transcripts (which in the unlikely event they don’t exist can be easily auto generated with reasonable accuracy) and CTRL + F aren’t exactly Herculean tasks. This stuff was already out there as has already been pointed out.

It’s a hot topic so it’s getting clicks, so people are digging this stuff up to get more clicks. It doesn’t have to be some grand scheme by the puppet masters to keep the controversy growing, especially when it seems to be following the typical outrage mob arch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You realize transcripts (which in the unlikely event they don’t exist can be easily auto generated with reasonable accuracy) and CTRL + F aren’t exactly Herculean tasks. This stuff was already out there as has already been pointed out.

It’s a hot topic so it’s getting clicks, so people are digging this stuff up to get more clicks. It doesn’t have to be some grand scheme by the puppet masters to keep the controversy growing, especially when it seems to be following the typical outrage mob arch.

Its thousands of hours of footage. THOUSANDS. Even processed automatically, downloading and clipping that much footage is not something "that just happens".

Wake up and smell the coffee. If Joe has any sense he'll invest hard into investigating the source of the footage and exposing those responsible, because I'm 100% sure you'll find institutional fingerprints on it.

This is not the work of an individual, or a group of disparate activists acting independently.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
It was a decade ago, and he wasn't "at work" back then. He was independent.
I’m not saying he’s racist or he deserves to be cancelled. I’m just stating that there’s no headhunt for him. Anyone I know would be fired for saying those things on camera. If anything he’s privileged to get away with it in today’s world. Anyone else would lose everything. Especially us normal people.

Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I’m not saying he’s racist or he deserves to be cancelled. I’m just stating that there’s no headhunt for him. Anyone I know would be fired for saying those things on camera. If anything he’s privileged to get away with it in today’s world. Anyone else would lose everything. Especially us normal people.

Do you believe that a white person listing the names of Richard Pryor albums verbatim is committing a hate crime?

Batiman

Banned

This footage was going around years ago. Before he had any power.

There’s not headhunt? Are you being serious? We can debate plenty of things about this, but if you are saying there is no aspect of this that isn’t people with an ax to grind against Rogan, you’re a fool.

Amiga

He literally talked about black and white people having "different brains". And then talked about how walking into a black neighborhood was like "planet of the apes".

What more context do you need?

Had to check the clip myself. sure sounds different when Joe said it.. to the half black guy who was nodding.

Racisms is one group abusing another group. not that stating different groups exist. is it racists to say Germans and Austrians are different?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

This is where we're at. If I were to simply do that and post it on social media, I'd fully expect a visit from the Police and potentially face prosecution.

Its insane, because the way jurisprudence has moved, context and intent no longer matters.

Batiman

Banned
There’s not headhunt? Are you being serious? We can debate plenty of things about this, but if you are saying there is no aspect of this that isn’t people with an ax to grind against Rogan, you’re a fool.
Let me correct myself. There is a headhunt. But in the same way it would be if anyone said what he said. Right/ left whatever. People will go after whoever for racist comments

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Biden’s what pops out when all their powers combine.

Its thousands of hours of footage. THOUSANDS. Even processed automatically, downloading and clipping that much footage is not something "that just happens".

Wake up and smell the coffee. If Joe has any sense he'll invest hard into investigating the source of the footage and exposing those responsible, because I'm 100% sure you'll find institutional fingerprints on it.

This is not the work of an individual, or a group of disparate activists acting independently.
As has been noted, most of the work you’re touting like it’s some giant task was already done. This stuff has been out there for years. The article about the Joey Diaz clip I read was from when the Spotify deal was first announced, the n word stuff has been out there for years too. So yeah, I do think it would actually be pretty trivial for his haters to aggregate this stuff, which was readily available previously, in the time frame of the past several weeks he’s been drawing more and more flak over the COVID stuff. Even if it hadn’t been, it would’ve been trivially easy to find.

This is seriously following the same arch every cancel brigade follows, where some contemporaneous controversy causes people to go back and dig up dirt on someone and start one upping each other. It’s not some grand conspiracy, it’s the profit motive to get more clicks and engagement fueled by algorithms promoting the latest hot button to more and more eyeballs. It’s a tale as old as time and needs no other conspiratorial explanation

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is seriously following the same arch every cancel brigade follows, where some contemporaneous controversy causes people to go back and dig up dirt on someone and start one upping each other. It’s not some grand conspiracy, it’s the profit motive to get more clicks and engagement fueled by algorithms promoting the latest hot button to more and more eyeballs. It’s a tale as old as time and needs no other conspiratorial explanation

I disagree. This seems contrived and coordinated to me, and I have my reasons for that belief.

Sorry, but the way things are going I weep for the future. Sincerely.

VulcanRaven

The Rock is playing a character in those WWE promos. Also I don't think he writes all of them.

Last edited:
The Rock is playing a character in those WWE promos. Also I don't think he writes all of them.
You mean he was just reading what other people wrote? Kind of exactly like every single time Rogan drops the N word in the compilation people are using to call him a racist?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If he's not on Spotify I will cancel my sub. I'm so tired of trying to tread this line which one side is constantly moving and another is busy adjusting to.

The media is vile and toxic and trying to silence one side continuously while the other can simply have their hypocrisy continuing to exist just shows how unbalanced things are.

And I'm the immigrant 100% foreign blood with a black Ecuadorian wife lol

I guess that makes me the bad side according to pundits.

This.

What Rogan said was wrong, but wasn't intentionally racist and he's apologised for it. That should be it. Same with The Rock. It was a different era and an apology will be enough.

If Spotify bow down to these far-left attack dogs and remove Joe Rogan complelty then they've lose me as a customer.

VulcanRaven

You mean he was just reading what other people wrote? Kind of exactly like every single time Rogan drops the N word in the compilation people are using to call him a racist?
Many times yes. I don't think Rock's WWE promos are much different than his movie acting. He was playing a character and was a villian lot of times in WWE.

Last edited:
Biden’s what pops out when all their powers combine.

As has been noted, most of the work you’re touting like it’s some giant task was already done. This stuff has been out there for years. The article about the Joey Diaz clip I read was from when the Spotify deal was first announced, the n word stuff has been out there for years too. So yeah, I do think it would actually be pretty trivial for his haters to aggregate this stuff, which was readily available previously, in the time frame of the past several weeks he’s been drawing more and more flak over the COVID stuff. Even if it hadn’t been, it would’ve been trivially easy to find.

I disagree. This seems contrived and coordinated to me, and I have my reasons for that belief.

Sorry, but the way things are going I weep for the future. Sincerely.

Coordinated is an understatement. Read the full twitter thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/joe-...rpocalypse-2022.1629704/page-2#post-265540094

clem84

Gold Member

Cancel cancel culture.
I don't think anyone in good faith could endorse the lynching being done to JR. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think the majority of people know better than this. They know there's context, and that people are allowed to make mistakes, and that what was socially acceptable back then might not be anymore. Deep down we all know this.

These social media platforms have made it easy for people to go after one another, to sacrifice someone at the altar of social justice and force them to apologize, because they get some kind of kick out of it.

I don't think anyone in good faith could endorse the lynching being done to JR. Maybe I'm naive but I'd like to think the majority of people know better than this. They know there's context, and that people are allowed to make mistakes, and that what was socially acceptable back then might not be anymore. Deep down we all know this.

These social media platforms have made it easy for people to go after one another, to sacrifice someone at the altar of social justice and force them to apologize, because they get some kind of kick out of it.
Social media is great for tearing things down. It doesn’t build anything of value, but it gives angry, pathetic people an outlet to tear down others so they can feel better about their own sad lives.

Spotify knew of all of this before they hired him. That's why on day 1 of his engagement they deleted several dozen podcast episodes (or rather, they never even uploaded them on Spotify).

FireFly

I'm curious to see when people will realize that everyone, without exception, can be canceled on the basis of current social standards.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Mankind is the only species on earth that is evolving backwards and it will only take a few more thousand years until we live in the stone age again. But probably it will happen much faster. It has demonstrably taken only a few decades to clearly show that people are becoming dumber again and are primarily driven more frequently and more easily by predetermined emotions. Just like animals.
The most powerful computer systems in the world are being set the task of manipulating our emotions and exploiting "bugs" in our cognition in order to keep us glued to our screens. I don't think that's a battle that individuals can ultimately win, especially as algorithms get smarter and computers become more powerful.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Of course it's contrived, and has some base level of coordination. But what you put out there suggests your reasons for getting there are:

1) Because of how difficult it would have to be to scour all these thousands of hours of recordings, ergo

2) This suggests....I dunno, big powers are at play and making it happen behind the scenes? High levels of coordination from the TOP MEN?

Well in the very thread talking about PatriotTakes, they admit they "republished" the recordings, i.e. they're not new, i.e. 1 isn't true therefore the reason you believe 2 is true is itself false.

Sounds to me like a left wing organization is touting its ability to amplify seemingly damaging clips of Rogan in order to get themselves more attention and funding. Why? Because that's their business, manipulating social media to do just what they're doing.

Wrap it up, we uncovered the plot.

niilokin

fucking twitter what it does to people... put these people in the same room in person and they are on the same level, sharing their faults, stories, joy and tears but put them on social media and they compete who is morally above others

SiteSeer

The most powerful computer systems in the world are being set the task of manipulating our emotions and exploiting "bugs" in our cognition in order to keep us glued to our screens. I don't think that's a battle that individuals can ultimately win, especially as algorithms get smarter and computers become more powerful.
Photograph_of_Mrs._Reagan_speaking_at_a_%22Just_Say_No%22_Rally_in_Los_Angeles_-_NARA_-_198584.jpg

UnNamed

Banned
I hate the use of the term "n-word". It's like Harry Potter and "He who must no be named". Words are important, cancel a word because is bad makes languages poorer, it's like pretending bad things don't exist if you don't name them?

I've watched the Joe Rogan Experience from the very beginning and I remember some of the podcasts in the compilation of him using that specific word in question. Yes it made me uncomfortable to listen to, but those were different times and he isn't an annomily in saying something stupid or regrettable! He has apologised and I believe it was sincere enough. Fuck this malignant cancel culture nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom