• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs. The Rock vs. Awkwafina Twitterpocalypse 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Is this turning into a Denis Dyack / Too Human / NeoGaf thing where everyone is forced to take sides? If so, I stand with Oprah.

I stand with Jabba, er, I mean Whoopi.

220201183904-whoopi-goldberg-the-view-0201-super-169.jpg

Woggleman

I am by no means a fan of Rogan but they are creating a martyr when they go after him. The price of living in a free society is that sometimes will be free to express things that you don't like or find offensive. It is a worthy price to pay because the alternative is worse.

Whoopi is an idiot as well. She was laughing while her ex wore blackface and spewed the N word right in front of her.

I enjoyed many of his podcasts where he had athletes on but I think he's a net negative to society right now. I do think that cancelling or deplatforming can be a slippery slope (not every slippery slope is fallacious) so I tend to be torn on it depending on who is affected, but I think Joe has gotten to the point where his deplatforming would probably lead to some lives saved.

CGiRanger

Banned
Whoopi is an idiot as well. She was laughing while her ex wore blackface and spewed the N word right in front of her.
Not to mention defending a rapist in the past because "it wasn't 'rape rape' ya know?"

But speaking for myself, I wouldn't be brigading her bosses to get rid of her even so. I'd call her a disgusting hag, but that's all.

SaniOYOYOY

anyone canceling anyone else on a basis of a 5++ years old clip is enforcing the idea that we dont grow as a person from that past duration and Im disgusted by that thought.

But I am a merciful man, so maybe thats why

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I didn't think anyone remembered him as a comedian. Mostly because as a comedian, he sucked and was never popular.
I saw him doing standup live about 5 years ago…Thaedolus Farms remembers…

You're talking like my opinion has been changed, when it hasn't. Straight up, I've not seen the offending clips. Why would I want to? I was merely going off of descriptions I've heard of it, and rationally assessing what it would require to create such an artifact.

The thing you have to understand is this political theatre is not for our benefit. As an individual Joe Rogan is fundamentally uncancellable, he has a huge and loyal audience. However by exerting pressure on the board of Spotify shortly before their quarterlies, they can rein him in without their fingerprints ever being directly on the action!

And I disagree with your assessment of the situation, I do consider it coordinated and emanating from powerful vested interest groups within the political and media mainstream.

Gotta say, I don't share some cartoonish vision of what a conspiracy is. To me its not a bunch of guys making clandestine plans in the shadows, its powerful people making decisions in boardrooms and in zoom calls, its about hiring individuals into positions where they can cherry pick like-minded underlings. Its about seeing their will made manifest through power and influence. This is how you ensure coordination such that when a Joe Rogan takes Ivermectin for Covid, every mainstream outlet in the English speaking world coincidentally lands upon the peculiar sobriquet of "horse dewormer" for it! Even when it takes minimal research to see that its been on the WHO essential medicines list for years.

Believe what you want though. Just my 10c.

I kinda figured with how emphatically you announced your certainty about all that nonsense, complete with the all caps, you maybe watched the clips or maybe knew what went into producing them. But if you’re content to say you didn’t and nothing is changing your mind… 🤷‍♀️

God bless

Winter John

Gold Member
I haven't really watched any of his stuff since he moved to Spotify. The guy pissed me off when he kept ragging on the homeless. The one that got me was him ranting about going to a nice restaurant and seeing homeless dudes a couple of blocks away. You have to be a real asshole to get mad at the homeless just because you can see their misery as you walk into a fancy restaurant

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I kinda figured with how emphatically you announced your certainty about all that nonsense, complete with the all caps, you maybe watched the clips or maybe knew what went into producing them. But if you’re content to say you didn’t and nothing is changing your mind… 🤷‍♀️

God bless

Sorry I didn't do enough research for you!

But to be honest, I've watched enough of Rogan's podcasts to have a pretty good idea of what his content is like, and given that there are nearly 1800 shows, ranging up to 5hrs in duration, making a compilation of literal moments from them strikes me as a lot of effort. Such moments are not that easy to find.

The bottom line however is that the actual content and construction is of less significance than its existence and the timing of its exposure.

The smear is the "idea" that a video exists showing Joe Rogan casually spitting N-bombs drawn from a variety of shows exists. Most people, like myself, will not feel the urge to seek it out and analyze it. They will simply react to it, because that's all that needs doing for the metaphorical payload to be delivered.

By the way, did you watch it/them yourself? I believe there are more than one because thinking about it, I did actually skim the one put up by the singer who pulled her stuff, but that didn't include the "planet of the apes" story that I have actually seen in the past.

Xenon

If this is to be believed, Joe was targeted by a Superpac trying to bolster its notoriety and fundraising.

There is no honesty in this, people who hate him and ability to publicity hold an opinion that the government and big tech find problematic will use this as leverage to deplatform him. But they will settle with clipping his wings and keeping him in a defensive state.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hate the use of the term "n-word". It's like Harry Potter and "He who must no be named". Words are important, cancel a word because is bad makes languages poorer, it's like pretending bad things don't exist if you don't name them?
There was a great standup on this, but then Luis CK got cancelled and videos deleted.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
All the language controversies are on old episodes long before he signed with Spotify. Spotify should have known all this before they signed him.

This is like a company hiring a known former crackhead. Then social media leaks slander pieces that the employee is a former crackhead. And company has to deliberate whether to cut ties with the known former crackhead they knowingly hired.

Either address it at the time you sign the deal or don't address it at all. The stuff that happens after you sign the deal... sure.

Last edited:

Jsisto

I am by no means a fan of Rogan but they are creating a martyr when they go after him. The price of living in a free society is that sometimes will be free to express things that you don't like or find offensive. It is a worthy price to pay because the alternative is worse.

This right here is what frustrates me the most. The arrogance of these people claiming moral superiority while being oblivious to their own authoritarian tendencies….Free speech is free speech. You don’t have to like it all. Take it away from someone and yours will be next.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If this is to be believed, Joe was targeted by a Superpac trying to bolster its notoriety and fundraising.

There is no honesty in this, people who hate him and ability to publicity hold an opinion that the government and big tech find problematic will use this as leverage to deplatform him. But they will settle with clipping his wings and keeping him in a defensive state.

If they’re openly admitting it, he could probably get damages from them.

daveonezero

Banned
All the language controversies are on old episodes long before he signed with Spotify. Spotify should have known all this before they signed him.

This is like a company hiring a known former crackhead. Then social media leaks slander pieces that the employee is a former crackhead. And company has to deliberate whether to cut ties with the known former crackhead they knowingly hired.

Either address it at the time you sign the deal or don't address it at all. The stuff that happens after you sign the deal... sure.
Exactly. This is why the forced apology is a nothingburger

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Edit: never mind I don't want to get into it again.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is this turning into a Denis Dyack / Too Human / NeoGaf thing where everyone is forced to take sides? If so, I stand with Oprah.

I wasn't around for that, will need to Google it up. Sounds fun!

As for me, I am not taking sides. To start, I don't think this situation is as emotional or news worthy as others (but hey, to each their own). Furthermore it's just free speech in action. People can say whatever they want and face the consequences for their speech. At least Rogan and Spotify seem to be being reasonable about the whole thing. Rogan apologized for the COVID misinformation he spread as well as for his racist remarks. Spotify's CEO said it's unacceptable, removed the offending episodes, but aren't going to merely deplatform Rogan - people deserve second chances.

I see people are mentioning Whoopi, and that's good, because her situation is similar: she said some dumb shit, was called out on it, apologized, and served a suspension. Similar circumstances.

So maybe we're slowly pulling back to normal. This whole cancel culture shit got out of hand really quickly back around 2016 / 2017, so if it can rapidly snap back here in 2022 / 2023 then great. Because frankly I'm fucking tired of it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

That thread was a terrifying read. What the fuck is happening in this world?!?

I wasn't around for that, will need to Google it up. Sounds fun!

As for me, I am not taking sides. To start, I don't think this situation is as emotional or news worthy as others (but hey, to each their own). Furthermore it's just free speech in action. People can say whatever they want and face the consequences for their speech. At least Rogan and Spotify seem to be being reasonable about the whole thing. Rogan apologized for the COVID misinformation he spread as well as for his racist remarks. Spotify's CEO said it's unacceptable, removed the offending episodes, but aren't going to merely deplatform Rogan - people deserve second chances.

I see people are mentioning Whoopi, and that's good, because her situation is similar: she said some dumb shit, was called out on it, apologized, and served a suspension. Similar circumstances.

So maybe we're slowly pulling back to normal. This whole cancel culture shit got out of hand really quickly back around 2016 / 2017, so if it can rapidly snap back here in 2022 / 2023 then great. Because frankly I'm fucking tired of it.
Not quite similar with Whoopi - another person would have been fired.

Batiman

Banned
I haven't really watched any of his stuff since he moved to Spotify. The guy pissed me off when he kept ragging on the homeless. The one that got me was him ranting about going to a nice restaurant and seeing homeless dudes a couple of blocks away. You have to be a real asshole to get mad at the homeless just because you can see their misery as you walk into a fancy restaurant
Ya he changed completely the last couple years. He wasn’t so bad before but now he seems to be chasing whatever gets him attention. Whether that goes against his own beliefs or not . Not even 2 years ago he was calling people against the vaccine paranoid whackos.

B D Joe

I enjoyed many of his podcasts where he had athletes on but I think he's a net negative to society right now. I do think that cancelling or deplatforming can be a slippery slope (not every slippery slope is fallacious) so I tend to be torn on it depending on who is affected, but I think Joe has gotten to the point where his deplatforming would probably lead to some lives saved.
Nobody listening to Rogan is dying , he's just a bloke talking to doctors and other experts in their fields.

Contrast that with the obvious rubbish our political leaders and so called unbiased news talk on a regular basis.

Having actually listened to a lot of his podcasts including the 'controversial' ones I think I'd rather listen to Rogan than the other Joe!

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Basically joe is the top media outlet in the world right now and the rich people who own msm hate it because their ratings , revenue and more importantly social power are so low and they can’t slither their way out of it because of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom