• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan's Podcast |OT|

bronk

Banned
Im done with the show for now. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but the app drains battery on my ipod touch and android phone crazy. My ipod touch is brand new and gets burning hot down 50% in an hour and a half. When I listen to podcast on normal app it went down 1% in about 4 hours. If you google spotify battery problems its a widespread thing. Podcast section of app sucks ass and show has sucked. Such a bummer. Ive been listening since about episode 10. Out for now until they fix app which I dont think they will.

Ballthyrm

I don't think the Joe Rogan experience changed that much.
What's really annoying is that I can't listen to him anymore on my Podcatcher.

I don't have Spotify premium so I only watch him on my desktop anymore.
I listen way less than I used to and that's simply because of the platform change.
Other than that, it's still Him, It's still unique in its variety of guests, both high and low brow.

The Lex Fridman podcast has taken center stage for me but that's mostly because I like the guests a lot more.

John2290

They managed to remove Rogan from the mainstream and it only took a couple million for him to fall for it. I lost respect for him cause he knew he was so very valuable to society and knowingly sold out for cash, knowing full well he'd drive himself into a niche.

pel1300

They managed to remove Rogan from the mainstream and it only took a couple million for him to fall for it. I lost respect for him cause he knew he was so very valuable to society and knowingly sold out for cash, knowing full well he'd drive himself into a niche.
Isn't spotify one of the biggest platforms?

How many views are his spotify episodes getting?

I never thought about it that way.

But honestly I think Big Tech was headed on the path to deplatforming him anyway. Imagine if he had no spotify deal and did the Alex Jones episode anyways. I think they would have used that as an excuse to deplatform Rogan.

MrMephistoX

My engagement has gone down dramatically since the exclusivity deal kicked in.

I'll watch a clip here or there on youtube, but I feel less compelled to listen to a full JRE now.
I literally thought he was taking a break because his feed hadn’t updated on Apple Podcasts.

John2290

Isn't spotify one of the biggest platforms?

How many views are his spotify episodes getting?

I never thought about it that way.

But honestly I think Big Tech was headed on the path to deplatforming him anyway. Imagine if he had no spotify deal and did the Alex Jones episode anyways. I think they would have used that as an excuse to deplatform Rogan.
*Edit Snip, could be conspiracy theory, best not chance it.

On that note though, is there a replacement for Rogan? I mean, I can't think of any that are truly down to Earth rational people and not leaning heavily to one side of the American divide. Even the other comedians are going full on lopsided.

Last edited:

Chaplain

*Edit Snip, could be conspiracy theory, best not chance it.

On that note though, is there a replacement for Rogan? I mean, I can't think of any that are truly down to Earth rational people and not leaning heavily to one side of the American divide. Even the other comedians are going full on lopsided.

I wouldn't say Eric or Bret Weinstein could ever replace Rogan, but they do provide superb analysis of what is going on in our Western culture and are gifted in being able to discern truth from falsehood and help their audiences process what at times seems undiscernible. Two examples from the past week:

Video: The Realignment Ep. 89: Eric Weinstein, Reckoning with Capitol Chaos and How to Save America (1/12/21)

"Eric Weinstein, host of “The Portal” podcast and managing director at Thiel Capital, returns to The Realignment to discuss the state of the U.S. after the riot at the U.S. Capitol."
Quote from Episode: "Right now what you are seeing is the degradation of our culture. The old magic of America is that you have no desire to burn the flag you have every right to burn. And when you lose that culture, you are going to see a call to restrict free action."

Video: Bret and Heather 62nd DarkHorse Podcast Livestream: Tyranny Comes at you Fast (1/9/21)

In this 62nd in a series of live discussions with Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying (both PhDs in Biology), we discuss the state of the world through an evolutionary lens. In this episode, we discuss the value of gratitude, always but especially now. We pivot to the lab leak hypothesis, and what its discussion in the mainstream media means for the ability of society at large to consider what might be true regarding the origins of SARS-CoV2. We discuss what happened in the Capitol on January 6, and the ensuing censorship and purges by the big tech platforms. We see the boot coming down hard and fast, with calls from U.S. Representatives to refocus our concern on events and enemies within our own borders. Finally, a reading from Thich Nhat Hanh’s 2012 book, Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm.

Quotes from Episode:

Heather: "One piece of evidence to that point in the last 72 hours is that the conservative leaning alternative to Twitter, Parler, has had its app removed by Google ... and apparently Apple is likely to do the same thing from the Apple Store. So, at the point that there is a competitor to Twitter, but it has an ideological bent that may be the mirror image of what Twitter's ideological bent is, at least in terms of what the CEO is willing to do or say, the fact that other big tech is willing to step in and say, 'No we won't distribute; We won't facilitate this thing being out there in the world.' That looks like collusion. ... It's not actually ... the legal meaning of the term monopoly ... it's not monopolistic but it's a kind of defacto monopoly."

Brett: "It's a defacto monopoly. And the fact that you don't have any diversity about political leanings of these gigantic platforms and tech companies. The idea that Apple and Twitter, because they are traveling in the same political circles, can act in concert. Oh Twitter's going to shove you off Twitter, maybe you can go to Parler, and then Apple's going to shut down Parler, right? So the point is, yeah it's functioning as a monopoly, right? And if the law isn't caught up to it then we need to fix the law, but that is not what is happening. What's happening is you've got the Blue team, which is now in control of two of the three official branches of government ... I think the courts are an unknown, how effective the courts can be in holding back the Blue team's power grab which I think is what we are watching unfold in real-time, remains to be seen. But what I would point out that this view that there are three branches of government, and that is where checks-and-balances come from, has only one of the branches potentially independent enough to exert a check, and what we have is effectively defacto new branches of government. Now that's a very imprecise way of saying it but, we have things that exert power as if they were branches of government that are unanticipated in our founding documents. And so it is a little bit naive to think three branches of government and one of those branches retaining enough independence to exert a check, is sufficient in a world where in effect you have is executive, legislative, judicial, but then you also have the so-called fourth estate, the press, which is on the Blue team, you have academia which is on the Blue team, you have the 'deep-state' (dare I say it) which appears to be on the Blue team, and you have big tech which appears to be on the Blue team."

Heather: "You're going to get clubbed. ... I feel like if you are going to use that phrase in the current environment you should spend a minute or two saying what you mean by it."

Brett: "I mean that there is some entity which is not accountable by virtue of the fact that it is not transparent so we cant see it and it is not accountable and it is the reason that we fight over things like Snowden and Assange and the things they have alerted us to. But anyway there's some thing which doesn't transition with the shifts in belief structure. There's some thing that maintains a presence administration after administration. We can argue about the details of it, but it is hard to argue about the fact of it. And in any case, it is a powerful force and it is not anticipated in the constitution. ... All I would say is the founding documents are not in a position to protect the values that they correctly highlighted, and the reason they are not in a position to do it is that the world has changed radically. And so the fact of the judiciary maybe having the power to check the other two branches of government which are now going to be in the hands of the same party is reason for hope. But it has to be placed in the context of, yes but there are these other forces that appear to be in the hands of the same party and they exert a tremendous force in the other direction and we're seeing that unfold online over the last 24 hours."

Heather:"... But your point is that so many of the other forces that are aligned in the world that are extra-governmental are in fact living in the same ideology which is one that is claiming to be liberal but that we recognize as an extremist branch that is also authoritarian."

Last edited:

John2290

I wouldn't say Eric or Bret Weinstein could ever replace Rogan, but they do provide superb analysis of what is going on in our Western culture and are gifted in being able to discern truth from falsehood and help their audiences process what at times seems undiscernible. Two examples from the past week:

Video: The Realignment Ep. 89: Eric Weinstein, Reckoning with Capitol Chaos and How to Save America (1/12/21)

Video: Bret and Heather 62nd DarkHorse Podcast Livestream: Tyranny Comes at you Fast (1/9/21)

I agree but they're not... charismatic. :(

We need a level headed smooth talking, average Joe who can keep conversations going for hours with any type of personality and they have to be likable by a massive group of people and get good at Podcasting. Even if some women has already pushed out a Joe Rogan replacement, it'd be a decade before they could establish themselves.

mango drank

Yeah, I barely catch his show anymore since the Spotify switch. But to be honest, I thought Joe's interviewing ability went downhill over the course of 2020 anyway. He seemed much more distracted, much less focused on keeping a subject going, much less focused on getting the guest to open up about things only they knew or had unique takes on. So many of the eps I watched were 90% him shooting the shit and talking about whatever random nonsense, completely unrelated to the guest. That's fine up to a point (and it works great for his comedian friends, Ari Shaffir etc), but it's really annoying when the guest is someone interesting. It's almost like the guests have to be the ones to rein Joe in and keep him focused, which is pretty rare from what I've seen.

But ever since Spotify, I can barely be arsed anymore. YouTube was so convenient. And even if one of the new clips on his old YT channel seems interesting, 99% of the time I don't bother opening up Spotify and hunting down the ep. Combine that with the move into his new broiler oven studio that I still haven't gotten used to, and the very good point that was made earlier in this thread about TX guests vs LA guests, and I'm even less inclined to watch.

Joe fucked up.

Last edited:

Chaplain

Yeah, I barely catch his show anymore since the Spotify switch. But to be honest, I thought Joe's interviewing ability went downhill over the course of 2020 anyway. He seemed much more distracted, much less focused on keeping a subject going, much less focused on getting the guest to open up about things only they knew or had unique takes on. So many of the eps I watched were 90% him shooting the shit and talking about whatever random nonsense, completely unrelated to the guest. That's fine up to a point, but it's really annoying when the guest is someone interesting. It's almost like the guests have to be the ones to rein Joe in and keep him focused, which is pretty rare from what I've seen.

But ever since Spotify, I can barely be arsed anymore. YouTube was so convenient. And even if one of the new clips on his old YT channel seems interesting, 99% of the time I don't bother opening up Spotify and hunting down the ep. Combine that with the move into his new broiler oven studio that I still haven't gotten used to, and the very good point that was made earlier in this thread about TX guests vs LA guests, and I'm even less inclined to watch.

I think Joe was played. He was offered a lot of money to be taken off of YouTube to be put on Spotify for the purpose of silencing his influence. My hunch is that Joe will eventually wake up to what they did to him and use his escape clause to break the Spotify contract.

mango drank

I think Joe was played. He was offered a lot of money to be taken off of YouTube to be put on Spotify for the purpose of silencing his influence. My hunch is that Joe will eventually wake up to what they did to him and use his escape clause to break the Spotify contract.
I think he made a series of screw-ups that showed he didn't really understand why he got so big in the first place. Spotify if anything should've just been an add'l side channel for the show. YouTube should've stayed as his main venue.

The Spotify deal was bad in another way: all those news articles in the past months about Spotify employees protesting him and demanding censorship, because Joe was supposedly such a controversial hate-mongering alt-right figure (no he wasn't), probably turned off lots of potential guests from coming onto the show.

Also it looks like he took down most of his previous library of episodes from YouTube? That's insane. Those could've been a huge avenue for new viewers to discover his show through YT's recommendation system, and a driver of traffic to Spotify. Not anymore.

vpance

I haven't bothered listening to the last 20 podcasts, but I'm not sure much has changed that's been his fault. Corona probably cut down his list of possible guests by a lot more than we realize. Not gonna blame him for moving to Texas either.

That said there's definitely some over saturation going on. I used to listen to every one but I haven't for a while now since I've either heard the guest before or already have an idea of what Joe would say, so I don't bother to check it out.

At this point I'm only really interested in the "controversial" guests. I'll always tune in if Alex is on. Haven't seen Eddie in a while, he must be dealing with shit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Rgxc38Cl.png

I hate the Spotify player. I haven't watched the podcast since the switch. Maybe I'll try and find YouTube or streamable ripped versions.

Ugh, Spotify.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I hate the Spotify player. I haven't watched the podcast since the switch. Maybe I'll try and find YouTube or streamable ripped versions.

Ugh, Spotify.

The switch could not have happened at a worse time. I moved over to Apple Music right before Rogan went to Spotify. Also, as a former paying Spotify user, ads during the show would have been annoying as hell.

The move really was a mistake.

TTOOLL

I didn’t think it would happen but Spotify ruined “the experience”. Although I’ve used the app for years I just can’t get to used to podcasts on it. It’s bad and I think there still isn’t an audio-only option.

Top Bottom