• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Cena to star in Suicide Squad TV spin off

Fbh

Stupid question but what's the deal with Suicide Squad?.

As far as I know the comics aren't really that popular (just checked the recent best seller from DC and I don't see a single suicide squad comic) and before the movie they weren't known by casual audiences. But they have been pushing this franchise a lot harder than other better known and liked DC properties.

You have Suicide Squad the Movie, Suicide Squad the upcoming James Gunn Movie, Suicide Squad the AAA next gen videogame, Suicide Squad the HBO Max show, etc.

frostyxc

As far as I know the comics aren't really that popular (just checked the recent best seller from DC and I don't see a single suicide squad comic) and before the movie they weren't known by casual audiences. But they have been pushing this franchise a lot harder than other better known and liked DC properties.

You have Suicide Squad the Movie, Suicide Squad the upcoming James Gunn Movie, Suicide Squad the AAA next gen videogame, Suicide Squad the HBO Max show, etc.
Suicide Squad was popular in the comics like 30+ years ago. DC is pushing this crap hard now because of Deadpool's R-rated success, but WB/DC doesn't know how to do anything right and produced a horrible dumper fire and tried to call it a movie. Forcing Harley Quinn into this was to make sure you know that they're just as hip as Deadpool but girl power. They doubled down with a "solo" Harley Quinn movie and... ick. With that said, James Gunn is pretty good with this sort of material, so hopefully his Suicide Squad rights the ship a bit.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

It's probably just about the potential the concept has, rather than its previous popularity. A bunch of villains, especially those who were underused, teaming up to... do good? Nuts! Gangs of misfits make for great stories.

Except for Suicide Squad, the movie, because that was directed by David Ayer.

Plus Marvel had knocked it out of the park with their misfit ensemble, Guardians of the Galaxy. Wonder why they courted James Gunn for this project... :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

It's an edgy concept ripe for the picking with stakes and death with street level villains coming together and fighting someone while under threat from a higher power. Shill it to normies a bit and promise dark comic aspects and it's $$$$

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom