• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Lennon's Beatles songs, or Paul McCartney's Beatles songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By percentage good of personal output, George.

This is partly because John and Paul were kind of dicks and would only let him put one or two songs on each album for most of their run.

George actually called out Paul for this at one point. Said something like, "You'll help Paul with his ten songs, and then finally he'll get around to helping you with your one song."

John Lennon; Paul McCartney's stuff is boring.

Man, I have never felt this way. Helter Skelter, Got to Get you Into My Life, Back in the USSR, Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (song), Lovely Rita... I've always found his best stuff pretty amazing.

I've debated this endlessly, and I give the edge to Lennon every time. It's not clear-cut, however, and I could babble on about this forever.

The short version is that McCartney is more consistent, but Lennon is more diverse and more frequently struck gold. McCartney sticks to the concept, however, and is probably the most responsible for Sgt. Pepper and is unquestionably the driving force behind the Abbey Road medley, which is maybe the best thing the Beatles ever did. That, and the fact that Lennon wrote a lot of duds, makes the question worth talking about.

However, at the end of the day, Lennon wrote more songs that I like, and I feel that he approached songwriting as an art more frequently than McCartney did. Let it Be sounds like him giving up to me.

Said it better than I could have.

kess

A lot of McCartney's work walks a very fine line between cloying and maudlin, and occasionally falls into either one of those extremes. When he nails it, the results can be profound.

ZeroRay

Paul. And he also 'fixed' many of John's songs (he wrote the iconic bass line to Come Together, for example). John's songs are weaker on melody (not weak, just compared to Paul), so rely on instrumentation to be more interesting.

It's not as clear cut as to who wrote what, they stopped each other from going off into extremes many times.

George is certainly not in the league of either of them.

Agreed on the first two points. John (and George/Ringo) kept Paul from being too kitsch, while the same can be said in regards to John going overboard.

George from White Album onwards was in the same league though. Hell Revolver onward, really. The composition for I Want to Tell You is genius.

John Lennon; Paul McCartney's stuff is boring.

John. Paul's stuff is mostly pop-y garbage.

That said, I've never been a big fan of the Beetles in general.

iz7zeVUoBtqu9.gif

Enron

Banned
Paul

I love the pure pop stuff more, and I've Just Seen a Face is my favorite Beatles song, I think.

JABEE

Lennon wrote most of the songs on albums and singles up until Revolver. It wasn't until the death of Brian Epstein and Lennon's heroin addiction that Paul caught up to Lennon. Even through Paul's prime in the Beatles, Lennon was still putting out standout material like Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus, All You Need is Love, etc.

As for the McCartney song fixing claims with Come Together, many of these songs were collaborative. Even Lennon admits that Paul and him wrote a lot of songs together. He was just pissed off at Paul during the time after the Beatles break-up that he claimed that they wrote solo songs. I have read all sorts of claims about who wrote what part of a song. John Lennon said he wrote every lyric in Eleanor Rigby except to the first verse and chorus. Lennon wrote the into to Here There and Everywhere, and other songs.

Paul also claimed to write the melody to In My Life. Even George helped clean up the songs of other Beatles and vice versa. There are demo tapes with John Lennon basically running through While My Guitar Gently Weeps laying out the phrasing of each lyric for George. It sounded almost exactly like the final recording.

If I had to pick, I would say that John Lennon was the most prolific and impactful writer in the Beatles. Paul McCartney edged Lennon out in terms of singles in the end, and his impact as a bass player in the band cannot be overstated.

1. John
2. Paul
3. George
4. Ringo

JABEE

I think people are forgetting the sheer number of songs John Lennon had primary credit on through the until around Rubber Soul/Revolver. He also sang either Lead or shared Lead vocals with Paul on sometimes close to 5/6th of the songs on the first 5 Beatles albums.

JABEE

This is handy, though I have no idea how accurate:

http://c0573862.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/1/0/4829/72772/AuthorshipB11.6_o.gif

John for me, though they both wrote some terrible songs along with the classics and under-appreciated stuff.

That's not close to one of John's best songs, though. I actually find it kind of irritating. As a counter example, I offer John's part in We Can Work It Out. Short but minor key and the best part of the song.

And people also don't know that George Harrison is often credited with the waltz-like time signature in the bridge of that song. When John is saying "Life is very short..."

Also, John Lennon brought the idea of having Paul sing sustained notes as John Lennon voices the worried parents in "She's Leaving Home."

I'm of the mind that the b side of Abbey road is the best thing the group ever did, and it's largely on the strength of Paul's contributions, so I guess I'm a Paul guy.

On the other hand, I like Let it Be...Naked more than Let it Be so my opinion is probably not worth much.

Straight up vocal and musical talent, Paul wins... but John's writing and trashier guitar playing and vocals will always get my vote. Harrison is my backup favorite though, his acoustic version of "Something" on the Anthology is God-tier.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my favorite.

Too hard to choose between Paul & John. I probably prefer John because he's more the weirdo but Paul's songs are more melodic and great.

Lennon/McCartney for life.

John

Griegite

still a junior
I think it would have to be John for me, but it's really tough to decide. Dear Prudence and Happiness is a Warm Gun straight off the white album really hit it for me. Then again, Paul's I will is also awesome.

Harrison is my backup favorite though, his acoustic version of "Something" on the Anthology is God-tier.

I listened to that for the first time the other night and couldn't stop repeating it as I was hypnotized...

Wanace

It's unbelievable how amazing all The Beatles were. John and Paul were epic of course, but I prefer Paul because his lyrics seem more melancholy. Although George is great and Ringo followed up later on with Photograph so he's still cool in my book.

legend166

I prefer the one who didn't beat his wife and children.

Seriously though, with regards to their music, it's incredible what they were able to produce in seven years. SEVEN YEARS.

I miss the days of bands putting out so much material. It's so much more interesting. You would have thought with distribution becoming so much easier it would have gone the other way.

tanuki

At their best, they were as good as each other. At their worst, they were both terrible.

But you know, Strawberry Fields Forever vs Penny Lane? Shit, I don't want to choose.

Here There and Everywhere is probably my all time favourite though.

John by far. I love his style and the majority of my favorites are by him:

Dear Prudence
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I’m So Tired
Yer Blues
Julia
Across the Universe
Strawberry Fields Forever
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Norwegian Wood
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Sexy Sadie
I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

Plastic Ono Band is also the best thing any of them did after the Beatles. Working Class Hero, Mother, I Found Out, Love... so good.

But Paul and George are great as well. Yesterday, Helter Skelter. And of course Long, Long, Long, one of the best songs they ever did.

C. Ringo Starr

With a Little Help From My Friends

That song to me is ruined by his monotone, emotionless voice, unfortunately.

Overall I'd have to say Paul. I love that closing suite on Side B of Abbey Road (which is a good album minus a couple of duds/superfluous songs).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Always more partial to Paul's songs but John wrote some amazing songs so it's very close. Paul was definitely a better tunesmith.

Plus I always find it funny when people say Paul's songs are poppy/corny/saccharine since he wrote some of the heaviest stuff they did and since John wasn't immune to that either, especially in his solo career with songs like Oh Yoko.

Paul wrote the better songs but John pushed the band in a more interesting direction. And John was certainly no slouch when it came to songwriting either...

It's very close, but I give the slight nod to Paul McCartney.

xbhaskarx

Setting aside all the personal stuff and basing my opinion just on the songs, I think John is on a much higher level than Paul. And George is certainly up there based on percentages rather than quantity...

I had a tiny hunch that Paul might squeak it out, but no, John definitely closed it out in the end.

George though, holy shit. Something. Hard to top that.

So much talent between them.

ThisOne

Eh, I'd probably go with Paul but they are both amazing. And Something is my favorite Beatles song so I guess I love all three.

strobogo

Banned
It's a silly thing to make a divide when there were very, very few songs that didn't have a least a little bit of input from the other. And they obviously didn't work as well apart from each other.

ZeroRay

Jokes aside, Ringo's a boss.

Him and Paul made the most innovative and versatile rhythm section in the history of rock.

Paul for me. To be honest I never liked any of Lennon's stuff that much. Was never that crazy over The Beatles in general to be fair though. Eleanor Rigby is the best. Also Paul's solo works were better than Lennon's too imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom