• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Linneman - Engagement as a primary metric for success is a direction that concerns me

Pull n Pray

Banned
And when was the last time Bethesda released such a game? Maybe Skyrim in 2013? They have 8 studios, and they haven't released a GOTY-level game that is both a commercial and critical success in over 8 years.
Skyrim was released in 2011. Fallout 4 (2015), Doom (2016), and Doom Eternal (2020) were all GOY nominees and commercial successes.

Monetization as the primary metric has concerned me for years. I really don’t see how this is any worse. Blame mobile before you go after Microsoft.

GP will be full of games built for microtransactions and games that are "free" for the launch portion of the game but you'll still have to buy any expansions/dlc that aren't first party, hell even ES Online is only "free" in GP for the launch portion, all of the expansions have to be paid for and MS owns that.

The launch portion still represents the full game that another person had to buy for $60-$70. Why shouldn't you have to pay for the expansions and DLC when everybody else who buys games at full price have to? Although nobody is having to pay for the Sea of Thieves Pirate's Life expansion, nobody had to pay for any of the next gen upgrades for all Game Pass titles, and nobody had to pay for the Gears 5: Hivebusters DLC either. The first Halo Infinite multiplayer battle pass is also free to all.

And I keep stressing to people that Game Pass (ultimate subscription) is giving you both the console and pc versions of the game, an amazing value add.

Top Bottom