• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain gets all mavericky by being anything but

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what McCain does now. Go along to get along. Fuck principles

We shouldn't eliminate the filibuster. But I will vote to eliminate the filibuster.

Why would you do that?

I don't know.

U.S. Sen. John McCain on Monday announced that he will support an upcoming effort by his fellow Republicans to win Senate confirmation of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court by changing the chamber's rules in order to overcome Democratic opposition.

McCain, in remarks to reporters, said he had "no choice" but to go along with a change in rules ending a tradition of 60 votes in the 100-member Senate needed to advance Supreme Court nominees to a final vote. He said he would support the rule change "because we need to confirm Gorsuch."

In the past, McCain has strongly opposed such a change.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-gorsuch-mccain-idUSKBN1752GS

Jobbs

Banned
Maybe in like another couple of decades we'll get to finally tilt the court left by confirming appointments with 51 then we'll have the last laugh

JordanN

Banned
Remember when Trump said he doesn't like soldiers who were captured? Why does he still work with that party.

tehfryguy

Party above country. Is anyone really surprised? They stole the seat, now they will do anything to push that agenda. Even though the senators that primarily support this are from states with low population levels. California, large population? Two senators. Same with Texas, New York, Florida... But Wyoming Alaska, Idaho? Shit my county has more people than each of these states.

I realize the lower and upper house were a compromise, and a good one at the time but this is ridiculous. They got the presidency without the popular vote by a large margin, no one really talks about the equal representation among the 50 states that disproportionately undermines the more heavily populated states.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey look what I found in the dumpster out back:
human-spine-picture-id482519152

“Idiot, whoever says that is a stupid idiot, who has not been here and seen what I’ve been through and how we were able to avoid that on several occasions,” McCain said Wednesday, recalling past efforts to defuse these judicial confirmation wars. “And they are stupid and they’ve deceived their voters because they are so stupid.”

Oh, John...

Mathieran

Banned
Republicans are such dicks. Can't win playing by the rules so they just change em. I hope democrats remember this shit. Of course progressives have to play nice lest they offend anyone.

Makonero

Where your spine at John??

apparently that's what trump snatched when he made his famous "i like soldiers who weren't captured" line

i mean seriously, why the hell is mccain even working with these assholes? he's old, this is likely his last go round as a senator, he has seniority, why would he not stick up for himself? I don't understand what he gets from all this groveling

ezekial45

Banned
This dude is a complete coward and he always has been for the entirety of his political career.

Seriously, this is a man who's more concerned with not rocking the boat and losing his seat more than anything. I don't know how this Maverick stuff has stuck for so long, this man is nothing at all what he claims he is.

jtb

Banned
McCain's core constituency has always been the media. I'm sure plenty of veteran political journalists got their chops covering the Straight Talk Express. And then the dead-man-walking 08 campaign after that.

He's a talented politician, I'll give him that.

Look, after McCain let frat-boy Bush and Rove use his daughter's skin color against him, then dutifully licked their boots so he could get a vicarious war 'do-over' in Iraq 2: Electric Bumblefuck in Mesopotamia, our Maverick's cowardice has been on full display.

At this point the GOP will weather any storm in the short-term in hopes that Trump will deliver at least some of the goodies they have on their wishlist, before his ship sinks beneath the waves.

The GOP understands only raw power at this point, so the only goal of the opposition is to separate them from the levers of government by any means necessary. Job number-fucking-one

Ac30

Republicans are such dicks. Can't win playing by the rules so they just change em. I hope democrats remember this shit. Of course progressives have to play nice lest they offend anyone.
In B4 everyone quotes you and tells you Reid did it first (for good reason, frankly)

This is every single Republican. Remember all those Republicans who wouldn't ever vote for Trump? When it came down to it they pulled the trigger because party>country. You can't count on them to do the right thing ever.

Screw them all.

Anyone with a brain knew this was going to happen. Now Democrats get to watch Gorsuch still be seated before the next session and then if Ginsburg or Breyer die or can no longer serve, they get to watch Trump nominate Bork 2.0.

Look, after McCain let frat-boy Bush and Rove use his daughter's skin color against him, then dutifully licked their boots so he could get a vicarious war 'do-over' in Iraq 2: Electric Bumblefuck in Mesopotamia, our Maverick's cowardice has been on full display.

At this point the GOP will weather any storm in the short-term in hopes that Trump will deliver at least some of the goodies they have on their wishlist, before his ship sinks beneath the waves.

The GOP understands only raw power at this point, so the only goal of the opposition is to separate them from the levers of government by any means necessary. Job number-fucking-one
He was going to be Kerry's VP lol

Lieberman, then McCain. Boy we sure can pick 'em.

Ac30

Anyone with a brain knew this was going to happen. Now Democrats get to watch Gorsuch still be seated before the next session and then if Ginsburg or Breyer die or can no longer serve, they get to watch Trump nominate Bork 2.0.

Yeah but it's a good thing Killary didn't win.

By the way, for massive damage, the Republicans should just put another 30-40 something on the court. Hell, the next democrat better fucking do that.

Xe4

Banned
If they nuke the filibuster to put Gorush in, I hope democrats put the furthest left, liberal, tree hugging, motherfucking judge in America on the court next time they're in power. Fuck them for this shit.

In B4 everyone quotes you and tells you Reid did it first (for good reason, frankly)
As if Republicans wouldn't do this anyways. Reid just beat them to the punch because he had no other choice.

Ac30

If they nuke the filibuster to put Gorush in, I hope democrats put the furthest left, liberal, tree hugging, motherfucking judge in America on the court next time they're in power. Fuck them for this shit.

As if Republicans wouldn't do this anyways. Reid just beat them to the punch because he had no other choice.

Oh I agree, it's just sad it's come to this - they stole a seat and frankly I'd be furious if the democrats didn't try filibustering. Plus them just straight up refusing lower court judges was total bullshit.

Goodwin Liu

liu-color.jpg

First Asian American on the court too, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom