• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard Defamation trial live

plushyp

Articles/news/opinions like the above are terrible because it paints a false picture of creeps like Heard who misuse laws that are there for actual vulnerable women. Another problem is how these websites keep equating criticism of a woman to misogyny.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Articles/news/opinions like the above are terrible because it paints a false picture of creeps like Heard who misuse laws that are there for actual vulnerable women. Another problem is how these websites keep equating criticism of a woman to misogyny.

It's part of the culture wars and woke activism. Any criticism or difference in opinion is automatically shouted down, cancelled, labeled the usual labels etc. With respect to the above article: doesn't seem to matter to the author that a lot Depp's supporters are women and other legal and medical professionals. Disappointing to say the least.

Bro there's heaps and one of the authors got ripped a new arsehole on twitter because of her fucked up look at the whole situation, basically backing Amber on the grounds that 'Women should be believed in domestic violence cases' horse shit.
They really fucked her up in that twitter thread. Was quite the sight.

Tams

There's just something...kinda gross with all these youtubers jumping on this pretending to know wtf is happening in there and commenting on this like a soap opera...
But i guess this is the internet in 2022...
Anyway...today the slaughter will continue right?
The American legal system has cases like this streamed, so I disagree. It may not be their intention, but it's set up as entertainment. And I'm not going to take issue with people if they do use it.

If Americans cared enough, they'd not have court cases streamed and there wouldn't be this circus. Many other countries do just that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bro there's heaps and one of the authors got ripped a new arsehole on twitter because of her fucked up look at the whole situation, basically backing Amber on the grounds that 'Women should be believed in domestic violence cases' horse shit.
They really fucked her up in that twitter thread. Was quite the sight.
Damn you I went looking for it and now I want to nuke the whole fucking planet after seeing her feed.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Damn you I went looking for it and now I want to nuke the whole fucking planet after seeing her feed.

I don't understand these fuckers; did they even see and hear all the evidence showing Heard as a psychotic lying piece of shit? So everyone is lying but Heard? And all the evidence is staged and doctored? The only evidence that was fucking staged were the ones presented by Heard! Crazy shit and just wilful ignorance by all these Heard supporting dickheads.

Nico_D

I don't understand these fuckers; did they even see and hear all the evidence showing Heard as a psychotic lying piece of shit? So everyone is lying but Heard? And all the evidence is staged and doctored? The only evidence that was fucking staged were the ones presented by Heard! Crazy shit and just wilful ignorance by all these Heard supporting dickheads.

Certain time of people just pick up things which support their own beliefs and ignore the rest. We all do that to some extent because contradicting information induces anxiety and stress but for some it's more severe.

It becomes a problem when those same people start spreading their highly questionable truth. But again, I believe that's their way of coping and seeking out like-minded who can support them by enforcing their beliefs and remove the stress.

That's putting it nicely.

I think some people are just incredibly dumb.

Any tldr update?
I am mildly curious, but not 34 pages of comments curious.
TLDR: Johnny's team is destroying Amber's team. He will likely still lose the case though, because it's a defamation case and it only takes one juror to side with Amber.

Slightly more TLDR:

Part 1 ended. It was lead by Johnny's team and featured him and various witnesses testifying. The general takeaway is Johnny had a drug problem, but there is no evidence of any abuse done by him to Amber. Strong evidence was presented suggesting Amber was the abuser instead. Johnny's team was able to establish points needed for defamation, Amber's team was subsequently unable to get the case dismissed and the trial proceeded.

Part 2 is being led by Amber's team. The meat of this part is Amber's testimony and subsequent cross examination. It was a disastrous showing for Amber. Her team is now bringing further witnesses to bolster their case. The first witness, one of Amber's best friends who lived with her during her marriage to Johnny, confirmed never seeing Johnny abuse Amber. The second witness, doesn't seem to corroborate Amber's testimony but we are not finished with this witness yet. We don't know how many witnesses Amber's team intends to call - all we know is each team has a time limit they cannot exceed.

Part 3 will allow Johnny's team to call witnesses in rebuttal to Part 2, if they have enough time on the clock. Finally, we'll move on to closing statements and the jury verdict which is due by 5/27 regardless.

Let’s say she is considered guilty by the jury. How is she gonna pay JD?
Money GIF

Nico_D

Oh god. First they play the audio about the bathroom fight, Amber knocking the door calling Johnny baby. Johnny, evidently, accidently scrapes Amber's toes with the door and she first kicked the door at him and then punches him. On the tape she says kicking the door was just a reaction and she didn't mean it but admits the punch saying she did indeed mean that.

"And then you kicked the bathroom door into his head, didn't you?"
"No, I didn't. I defended myself in that audio, you can hear it yourself."

0zYwKNS.jpg

"And then you punched him in the jaw."
"I also did not do that. I tried to make that clear in the audio tape too, in futility."

kDeKxCr.jpg

And then they are playing the old deposition from the divorce when they played Amber the same audio. Now there's video with gum chewing (or something else, actually) Amber listening to the recording. And Elaine goes, shit this doesn't look good, "they can do this without showing and reading from the deposition, I asked them to take it off the screen."

Last edited:

Nico_D

Oh fuck, that slip up she made in the 2016 deposition! First she denies the media being made aware of the filing (despite her publicist being there) - then they play back from her 2016 deposition where she fucks up and admits accidentally - or just because she is stupid - that TMZ was alerted.

Nico_D

Vasquez objects and blocks leading. Elaine just loses it, scrambling.

Elaine: Um, ah, ah, ah, ah, mmmm, a, a, a...

That's true professionalism. I wonder how much she is paying them?

edit: Elaine is so in trouble. She just can't produce any evidence AT ALL, of medical records, of testimonies, so she's trying leading and hearsay over and over with Vasquez blocking her practically every single time.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

edit: Elaine is so in trouble. She just can't produce any evidence AT ALL, of medical records, of testimonies, so she's trying leading and hearsay over and over with Vasquez blocking her practically every single time.

$6 million apparently

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If JD wins this, he'll still be cancelled because the Twitter Turd Twats will go after every single thing that Depp may be associated to in future to effectively cancel him. And like everything else, they'll just back down.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
If JD wins this, he'll still be cancelled because the Twitter Turd Twats will go after every single thing that Depp may be associated to in future to effectively cancel him. And like everything else, they'll just back down.

I don't know... Heard manage to do the impossible: she united Gaf and Era against a common enemy. Quite a feat.

Jokes aside, I really enjoyed Andrea's recap of today's shenanigans:

joedan

Amber seems like the kind of person who grew up a spoilt brat and never had to face accountability in her life. She thought she could have gotten a way with it like a whole lotta stuff that she likely got away with on her life. Drop called her bluff.

It’s one thing to bullshit your peers, but it’s a whole other kettle on fish when you’re under oath and the risk of perjury.

Question though; these recordings that have been productive as evidence, I’ve heard it said that Amber is the one who recorded her and Depp in these blow ups; is it known how the court got access to them? Who gave them to the courts?

ShadowNate

Amber seems like the kind of person who grew up a spoilt brat and never had to face accountability in her life. She thought she could have gotten a way with it like a whole lotta stuff that she likely got away with on her life.
When Internet twats pushed heavily the "believe women" with no exceptions, contrary to every logic, to the point of destroying people's lives with just claims and no due process, it's no wonder oppurtunists (and probably sociopaths) like Amber thought that they'd get away with this.

And for a while, she did -- also, it's yet on the jury to decide if she'll keep getting hers.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I got the feeling that Amber thinks some jury members are her friends the way she is looking over each time at them. That she thinks she is convincing them each time she talks to them “directly.”

Hardensoul

There are reports Amber is fighting with her lawyers in court. The law streamers take are there is a difference of strategy in how Amber’s testimony.

Amber can’t stay on script, kept fighting the Camille. Best strategy is be agreeable and get through cross as quick as possible and then let your lawyers help on redirect.

But Amber keeps deviating and adding new stuff(lies) to her story, digging herself into this huge hole. For instance the evidence she supposedly gave to her lawyers that wasn’t admitted. Or the ENT(Ear Nose Throat) medical record that wasn’t submitted into evidence. Then the whole TMZ pr fiasco.

So back on redirect Elaine wasn’t able to help Amber, it’s why Elaine kept asking hearsay or leading questions to guide Amber remember and get back on script. Even on Direct first time Amber was up, Elaine was asking leading questions to guide her.

Amber can’t be consistent with her lies and keep insisting she’s always right. Elaine seem to get so frustrated on redirect, Elaine basically looks like she rage quit.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
There are reports Amber is fighting with her lawyers in court. The law streamers take are there is a difference of strategy in how Amber’s testimony.

Amber can’t stay on script, kept fighting the Camille. Best strategy is be agreeable and get through cross as quick as possible and then let your lawyers help on redirect.

But Amber keeps deviating and adding new stuff(lies) to her story, digging herself into this huge hole. For instance the evidence she supposedly gave to her lawyers that wasn’t admitted. Or the ENT(Ear Nose Throat) medical record that wasn’t submitted into evidence. Then the whole TMZ pr fiasco.

So back on redirect Elaine wasn’t able to help Amber, it’s why Elaine kept asking hearsay or leading questions to guide Amber remember and get back on script. Even on Direct first time Amber was up, Elaine was asking leading questions to guide her.

Amber can’t be consistent with her lies and keep insisting she’s always right. Elaine seem to get so frustrated on redirect, Elaine basically looks like she rage quit.

Don't forget the Amber's big brain strategy of constantly looking at the jury, even when she's taking a drink from the bottle. Her counsel told her to dial back the histrionics and it's pretty hilarious seeing her 'I'm chewing gum and I'm awesome' performance in 2016 and comparing it with her current 2022 'boohoohoo my dog stepped on a bee' act.

Saber

Gold Member
Yep, I was surprised when Gaffers reported back that Era was with Team Depp. I headed over there to see for myself and sure enough, all the furries are on the Depp train. Maybe there is hope for humanity after all.

hope GIF

Didn't she had a case of abuse against her ex-wife or something? I guess if it wasn't the case they would still side with Amber.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Has Johnny been sticking to the same thing not deviating ? Just the same story again and again ? If so he is telling the truth

Nico_D

There are reports Amber is fighting with her lawyers in court. The law streamers take are there is a difference of strategy in how Amber’s testimony....

I agree with everything you said. Elaine & co don't seem to be th3 most capable lawyers put thete seeing how they panic: Rottenborn's objections, calling their own witness as Dr Curry (twice)...

But the biggest obstacle definitely is Amber's improv and severely lacking physical evidence.

I also believe she is fighting her own lawyers. Like we have seen, she projects her own mistakes and shortcomings as other's fault.

Top Bottom