• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Majors arrested on charges of strangulation, assault and harassment

chromhound

I am not super interested in this case, nor am I following it closely, but I just get the feeling that they're either threatening the woman with something or paying her a large sum of money to retract her statements. If there's enough visual evidence for an arraignment, this doesn't seem like an unhinged lady just trying to get back at him for something.

Then again, there are crazy people like Jussie Smollett in the world, so who knows.
There's a video of the incident that's why she changed her story

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Don’t you think the title should be changed to reflect the current situation?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Disney getting it from all fronts ... This and Victoria Alonso's lawsuit for wrongful termination.
She deserves to be fired. But these are practically automatically filled these days if you can claim some identity group.

Shes an imbecile, says X-Men is outdated.

chromhound

She deserves to be fired. But these are practically automatically filled these days if you can claim some identity group.

She really thinks that her orientation will affect something...
TiupYn1.jpg

Most people don't give a fuck if you're straight, gay, lesbian, etc. Your personal life does not concern me. Just do you job properly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
She really thinks that her orientation will affect something...
TiupYn1.jpg

Most people don't give a fuck if you're straight, gay, lesbian, etc. Your personal life does not concern me. Just do you job properly.
VFX houses are installing Foxconn-style suicide nets because of her. That’s why she was fired. Her producing another movie just gave them the breach of contract legal leg to stand on to fire her.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

[/URL]

If true, she really thought "protected class" means she's protected from everything. No! She violated her contract. Feige may not have had a problem with her spreading her wings but she really stepped in it because IGER is her ultimate boss.

HoodWinked

yeah. I don't get why people discredit what she's done. She's part of Marvel's success.

And yes, it prob went to her head and the bubble she surrounded herself with caused her to move into politics.
The movies do well in spite of her, Marvel Studios has never won a best visual effects Oscar despite over a decade of movies.

I really despite people like her who outwardly espouses woke and inclusion but is rotten and a sanctimonious prick that is abusive, exclusionary and tyrannical with their authority.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Kind of makes sense to me. Thats what references are for and small circle industries where everyone knows each other. Dont piss off a boss or do bad work and they wont bad mouth you.

I've had a buddy I used to work with ask me about someone who applied for a job. I told him avoid her. Not only was she lazy and did nothing while she was at my company, but she totally lied on her resume/linkedin what she even did in the first place.

She claimed to be a national account manager, which was BS. She was a support analyst who worked with account managers. Her daily job was pulling reports and helping out with Powerpoints. She even claimed to sell certain brands. Also BS because when she got hired we discontinued those brands. She didn't even have time to learn one second's worth about them because they were phased out.

So you can see, people can get a bad rap from people who arent even their boss.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Kind of makes sense to me. Thats what references are for and small circle industries where everyone knows each other. Dont piss off a boss or do bad work and they wont bad mouth you.

I've had a buddy I used to work with ask me about someone who applied for a job. I told him avoid her. Not only was she lazy and did nothing while she was at my company, but she totally lied on her resume/linkedin what she even did in the first place.

She claimed to be a national account manager, which was BS. She was a support analyst who worked with account managers. Her daily job was pulling reports and helping out with Powerpoints. She even claimed to sell certain brands. Also BS because when she got hired we discontinued those brands. She didn't even have time to learn one second's worth about them because they were phased out.

i think that soft sells it you will always have vendors or people that you have a good rapport with but considering the opening tweet it was more a hostile type relationship.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i think that soft sells it you will always have vendors or people that you have a good rapport with but considering the opening tweet it was more a hostile type relationship.
Good point.

She might be one of those crazy bosses who plays favourites. And there's many reasons why a boss can play games like that.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Lemme tell ya, most work environments are toxic. It's a shame, but we can't all be friends at work, and happy ladida. That's because people never grow out of high-school drama, and it doesn't matter where you come from.

Doom85

Lemme tell ya, most work environments are toxic. It's a shame, but we can't all be friends at work, and happy ladida. That's because people never grow out of high-school drama, and it doesn't matter where you come from.

Christ, most of the dozen co-workers I work with are in their late 40’s-60’s and are lazy, entitled, incompetent, and/or just flat out pieces of shit. They REALLY never outgrew their high school drama.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I will always stand on, "innocent until proven guilty" (the exception is if there is a video confirming the allegations). I won't condemn anyone because of an allegation. There has been a lot of shit like this before and they guy/girl was innocent.

Omari Hardwick Omg GIF by Power
In this day of AI reconstructed videos and deep fakes, it’s hard to even trust video evidence now.

Doom85

And I'm sure you're the only good one. And I'm just saying that because perspective is key, and no one really sees themselves.

I said “most”. Also, yes, as my spot I’m by myself I have to keep up with the packages in my area or the belt will shut off which affects other areas in the building. Their spots don’t have that issue as they’re on the sides of the belt while I’m on the end, and so I often see:

1) many of them talking among themselves occasionally even if we’re heavy on packages
2) sending packages down the return belt without scanning them. While this can be done with a supervisor’s approval, they do it a lot with no such approval. Mind you, our section no longer has a supervisor specific to our spot because the higher ups really fucked over the supervisors the past five years (especially with their peak season hours, only 30 max per week, that’s robbery!)
3) when any of us get bags filled with envelopes, we’re supposed to remove all incorrect labels from the bag and place a new label on it so the scanner on the return belt will recognize it. Many of them will often just dump the envelops down the return belt which fucks over the guy way down working on the return belt as envelopes are not really supposed to be on the belt by themselves as they get caught on slides easily, or they will just throw a new label on top of the old one despite this often causing the scanner to send it back to us because it recognized both labels and can’t send it to where it needs to go
4) the worst of the group, well when I was trying to get my vacation weeks sorted out and was seeing which weeks they were taking, I asked her and she said she’d gladly let me have a week if I needed it but then added “you can count on me, everyone else here doesn’t care about you.” Beyond being untrue, again a few of them are legit good at their job and are perfectly nice (and even a few of the lazy and incompetent ones are at least friendly), her words there are textbook toxic and psychological manipulative behavior.
5) because I have to keep my area from backing up, that means I often have to be constantly moving packages at rapid pace on to the return belt to keep my area clear in order to prevent a belt shut down. Again, they don’t have this issue. Yet if I open up an unused slide to divert a few packages off of me, sometimes a few get mad at me for doing so because they’ll have to move those packages in that slide later ONCE for the whole shift. Meanwhile I’m moving packages for HOURS. They’re basically criticizing me for trying to keep up with an extremely demanding situation by mildly inconveniencing them.
6) despite them being told countless times some of the slide diverters don’t function well the past two years or so and the higher ups won’t do shit about it because the maintenance crew in the building can’t figure it out and the slides were made by an outside team who apparently the higher ups won’t be bothered to bring in, they still bitch st me if a few of them get more packages than others, and hell they’ll bitch if they get barely any compared to others. Like, I just overview the system, I’m not trained to repair it, and they know this, yet they still act like I’m doing it on purpose, never mind that again they have no pressure to keep their slide clean so they can just slow down so if their slide is full then packages on the belt will just move on past them.

Like, I’ve got perspective because I know how this job works, I’ve done it for seventeen years, and I know bullshit behavior when I see it. Also, mind you, a few of my general supervisors (as in they check around a major area, not specifically our section) have have caught some of these people slacking off or trying to twist what I’m doing into something else. These supervisors are well aware of their bullshit as well.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to unload on you, but trust me, I work my ass off compared to a good deal of these people. It’s the double edge of unions, yes it offers great job protection, but it also enables shitty people. Like, the worst of them, she once just walked away from a supervisor when she was asked to help someone, and apparently suffered no consequences since she was back in her usual spot the following day. Fucking ridiculous.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Majors has been charged with multiple accounts of assault and harassment by NY DA. This wouldn't have happened without compelling evidence.

So, goodbye career, you fucking dumbass.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Majors has been charged with multiple accounts of assault and harassment by NY DA. This wouldn't have happened without compelling evidence.

The DA has charged people for DV even without evidence. Like the Brian Banks case (much more serious than DV tho) Until video comes out, the charges will stay.

So many people in Hollywood have been accused or temporarily jailed for DV and yet still working (Brad Pitt, Josh Brolin, etc). Mark Wahlberg was actually guilty of a hate crime and he's still working in "liberal" Hollywood.

Not to mention that Majors is the one who called 911 first FOR his GFs safety.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The DA has charged people for DV even without evidence. Like the Brian Banks case (much more serious than DV tho) Until video comes out, the charges will stay.

So many people in Hollywood have been accused or temporarily jailed for DV and yet still working (Brad Pitt, Josh Brolin, etc). Mark Wahlberg was actually guilty of a hate crime and he's still working in "liberal" Hollywood.

Not to mention that Majors is the one who called 911 first FOR his GFs safety.

If a DA charges this quickly, after an immediate arrest by police at the scene, it doesn't look good, however you cut it. If you can cite me an example of a big Hollywood star who has shaken off that kind of very public incident then please do. As it stands, his career's in deep trouble, and if he's convicted, it's over.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
If a DA charges this quickly, after an immediate arrest by police at the scene, it doesn't look good, however you cut it. If you can cite me an example of a big Hollywood star who has shaken off that kind of very public incident then please do. As it stands, his career's in deep trouble, and if he's convicted, it's over.
There are plenty of actors with rap sheets working in hollywood right now.

This list leans pretty heavy into the rap/gang/drug stuff but there are assaults, rapes, and stuff in there as well. An older arrest was way less damaging, especially if the actor has been paying the right folks to get the right PR spin. ANYTHING can be smoothed over if the media decides it's worth it. Even if its a worst case scenario with Majors if Disney wants to keep him AND he is willing to put that acting skillset to work, he will just do the rounds of talk shows, podcasts, puff piece reports, etc about "his struggles, his demons, and his choice to be a better man" and in 6 months he is back like nothing ever happened.

Hell, Alec Baldwin SHOT A WOMAN ON SET and will probably work for another 10 years if the fans show up (and I bet less than 20% of people even know the shooting happened, much less his role in it) and The Powers That Be decide to keep him around.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

[/URL]

This list leans pretty heavy into the rap/gang/drug stuff but there are assaults, rapes, and stuff in there as well. An older arrest was way less damaging, especially if the actor has been paying the right folks to get the right PR spin. ANYTHING can be smoothed over if the media decides it's worth it. Even if its a worst case scenario with Majors if Disney wants to keep him AND he is willing to put that acting skillset to work, he will just do the rounds of talk shows, podcasts, puff piece reports, etc about "his struggles, his demons, and his choice to be a better man" and in 6 months he is back like nothing ever happened.

Hell, Alec Baldwin SHOT A WOMAN ON SET and will probably work for another 10 years if the fans show up (and I bet less than 20% of people even know the shooting happened, much less his role in it) and The Powers That Be decide to keep him around.

I was surprised at how many of these people had committed crimes WHILE famous and STILL kept getting high profile acting jobs!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was surprised at how many of these people had committed crimes WHILE famous and STILL kept getting high profile acting jobs!
Certainly drug possession/being drunk has a pretty high tolerance. Anyone remember Mel Gibson's drunken tirade against the lady cop? Now he is back in (mostly) full swing though I don't think he is getting the director jobs he should.

It's all about the crime the thought/social police are against AT THE MOMENT. Harder to go back and re-legislate the past unless it is really concise, which is why those social media posts keep fucking folks, its a brief statement easy to take out of context versus some laborious court case, long video to watch, or whatever. ESPECIALLY if you cultivate a fan base that harps on this victimhood status IDpol nonsense. But if you appeal to folks that just don't give a fuck about that stuff then you can weather it pretty well, of course other crowds have their own tripwires for "cancellation". Actors like Michael Gross can publicly shame his fanbase with anti-gun rhetoric and still play Burt Gummer over and over again because those Tremors fans couldn't care less about what some liberal educated actor thinks about "mah rights".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You guys talking crime and jobs, there’s a big difference depending on what crime someone did in media.

For example, if 5 different actors separately did these crimes, it’s obvious which ones will be tolerated and which won’t.

- murder
- beat up his girlfriend/wife
- got into a bar fight against rowdy dudes
- tax evaded
- got fined or arrested for not paying a laundry list of speeding and parking tickets for 10 years.

Last edited:

Moneal

[/URL]

Of those the most recent seems to be from 2012. The world is much different today. Me too and just the general attitude about domestic violence are much different and much more harsh.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Is this the same Loony DA that was trying to charge Trump?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That happend in a different time, did it not? No twitter, no "me too", etc. Wahlberg blinding a Man in a fistfight would not fly anymore. Hes lucky it was a cis man, so the mob dosnt care enought to make a scene out of it in retrospect.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That happend in a different time, did it not? No twitter, no "me too", etc. Wahlberg blinding a Man in a fistfight would not fly anymore. Hes lucky it was a cis man, so the mob dosnt care enought to make a scene out of it in retrospect.

True. My earlier point that I tried to make about the charges, the DA can choose to press charges even without evidence like the case I mentioned... Or they can choose not to like in the case of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. With or without evidence, the DA's office can do whatever they want.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Of those the most recent seems to be from 2012. The world is much different today. Me too and just the general attitude about domestic violence are much different and much more harsh.
Well sure, they all gotta go through movie jail for a bit, so the examples are always gonna be dated.

We'll see if Armie Hammer makes a comeback. Or that Juicy Smollet guy. Takes time to know for sure.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That's the weird part
04m9qPz.jpg
"If ya'll don't get over here RIGHT DAMNED NOW, I'm gonna choke this bitch to death!"

I can see how he could call the police and still be the physical aggressor.

Or she came swinging at him (no idea what this woman looks like) and in the scuffle she got roughed up (and maybe he did a bit as well), then he calls the police, and when they show up she plays the victim.

Hard to look at that guy and think he could be physically threatened but all us men know how it can be when she's throwing shit at you and going for the eyes.

Moneal

That's the weird part
04m9qPz.jpg
It is weird, but explainable from either possible outcome. If he did do it, the call to the police is preemptive to her call. It allows his lawyer to spin the narrative that he was afraid for her well being. Which his lawyers are doing. That could even be a strategy his lawyers came up with. If he didn't do it then he is calling because he is actually afraid for her well being.

The call really does nothing. If there is video as his lawyer has said, the whole thing should be finished pretty quickly.

SaintALia

"If ya'll don't get over here RIGHT DAMNED NOW, I'm gonna choke this bitch to death!"

I can see how he could call the police and still be the physical aggressor.

Or she came swinging at him (no idea what this woman looks like) and in the scuffle she got roughed up (and maybe he did a bit as well), then he calls the police, and when they show up she plays the victim.

Hard to look at that guy and think he could be physically threatened but all us men know how it can be when she's throwing shit at you and going for the eyes.
Well the story is she reached over to grab his phone when he was texting a woman. So yeah, if he did try to stop her from doing that or retaliated she could be hurt.

She could have been aggressive in getting his phone and if he was aggressive to counter it, well...

Just another reason to justify working hard, doing the right thing, and being a stand-up character.

SaintALia

Alleged Text message between JM and his GF:

I doubt this'll convince people who already made up their mind that he abused her though.

I guess there's the video to look forward to and if she actually press charges or not.

lol so she grabs his phone, and he sends her ass to the hospital after that?

She just comes off as someone who is desperate, dependent and abused, but stays because he's the man in hollywood now.

Moneal

Alleged Text message between JM and his GF:

I doubt this'll convince people who already made up their mind that he abused her though.

I guess there's the video to look forward to and if she actually press charges or not.

The problem with the texts is they can be seen as a woman in an abusive relationship conditioned by gaslighting to blame herself. These types of cases are very hard to parse because of this. It's best for everyone to wait till everything comes out for anyone to make up their minds. As I said before, I hope the allegations are false. Mostly because it's better that there was no domestic violence. The video will be the biggest piece of evidence.

Top Bottom