• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon Breaks Silence on Misconduct Allegations, Calls Ray Fisher ‘A Bad Actor in Both Senses’

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
AP738514710166.jpg

In a lengthy interview with New York magazine that published on Monday, Whedon denied Gal Gadot’s allegation that he “threatened” her career while working on “Justice League,” which Whedon took over after original director Zack Snyder withdrew from the film following a family tragedy.
“I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” Whedon told New York.
“English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”

Whedon said he told Gadot that she would have to tie his body to a railroad track before he would cut a scene she wanted removed and that Gadot misunderstood as Whedon threatening to tie her to a track instead.
Gadot’s response in the story: “I understood perfectly.”

Whedon is less forgiving in his assessment of Ray Fisher. The actor’s July 2020 allegation that Whedon’s behavior making “Justice League” was “gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable” was the spark that led to the collapse of Whedon’s career.
In December 2020, Warner Bros. said an investigation into Fisher’s claims resulted in unspecified “remedial action” — weeks after HBO said Whedon was withdrawing as executive producer of “The Nevers.”

Fisher also alleged in a Forbes interview from October that he was told Whedon had lightened an actor of color’s complexion in “Justice League” because he didn’t like the skin tone — which Forbes later retracted.
In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter published April 2021, after the release of Snyder’s four-hour cut of “Justice League” on HBO Max, Fisher alleged that when he tried to express his concerns about the reduction of his character, Cyborg, in Whedon’s two-hour version of the movie, Whedon told him:
“It feels like I’m taking notes right now, and I don’t like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.”

To New York, Whedon says he had brightened the entire movie, including all the actors’ faces, and that he talked with Fisher for hours about his changes.
He says he significantly cut down Fisher’s screen time because Cyborg’s storyline “logically made no sense” and that Fisher’s performance was lacking.

He denied Fisher’s allegations, saying none were “true or merited discussing.” Instead, Whedon claimed that Fisher’s actions were done in bad faith, meant to sully Whedon’s reputation to reconstitute Snyder’s in advance of the release of the Snyder cut.
“We’re talking about a malevolent force,” Whedon said. “We’re talking about a bad actor in both senses.”

Representatives for Fisher did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Variety. However, Fisher directly acknowledged and refuted Whedon’s new statements through his official Twitter late Monday morning.

More at the link

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lol wow.

I mean if that's how he feels, I can't fault him, but not how I would handle the situation.

Even still, what a collosal fuck up by WB all around.

jason10mm

Gold Member
He could just keep on making films in his house. I think he has enough fans to generate sales and enough folks will still work with him.

Does need to be kept away from young desperate starlets though, like most male AND female people in power in Hollywood.

Atrus

Gold Member
"English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”

Gal Gadot may be Israeli but she can understand English just fine. "She understandu no engrish" doesn't work when someone can actually speak the language and isn't fresh off the boat.

The Snyder-cut pretty much cemented the idea that there's a lot to the Whedon allegations. Initially, I thought it was just a butt hurt actor who was whining about not being given a bigger part, but the choices Whedon made certainly surprised me.

Whedon says he cut down Cyborg’s role for two reasons. The story line “logically made no sense,” and he felt the acting was bad. According to a source familiar with the project, Whedon wasn’t alone in feeling that way; at test screenings, viewers deemed Cyborg “the worst of all the characters in the film.”

Cyborg's story was the best and he was the soul of the movie. The actor had the most difficult scenes and character development to portray and did a damn fine job. The test screenings were with the suits at Warner.
Whedon is a fucking imbecile.

This past spring, Whedon invited me to spend a couple of afternoons with him at his home in Los Angeles.

The article was 100% prepared to drop last March but the Snyder cut was well received so the magazine delayed it.

Ownage

Snyder cut was damn good. Cyborg's story was pretty interesting. I enjoyed it more than most of Wonder Woman's plots. Even Flash had some lulz moments and wasn't that bad.

Whedon needs to take a half decade off, let the dust settle, and come back quietly with some solid redemption pieces.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I know nothing about this, because it's connected to comic book films which I haven't watched in 10 years, I'll just add the following input to the thread:
They release a second cut of the same film when the original director gets back? Shaaaaame on you, you who pays for both.

Whedon is an elitest who used his position to bed Hollywood starlets and lie and cheat on his wife for years. What he says means nothing.
Who even paid their dues on the Whedon Casting Couch anyway? I'm thinking some second tier talent like the chick that played Harmony or maybe a Julie Benz.

sol_bad

"English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”

Gal Gadot may be Israeli but she can understand English just fine. "She understandu no engrish" doesn't work when someone can actually speak the language and isn't fresh off the boat.

The Snyder-cut pretty much cemented the idea that there's a lot to the Whedon allegations. Initially, I thought it was just a butt hurt actor who was whining about not being given a bigger part, but the choices Whedon made certainly surprised me.

EH
There is a difference between understanding English and understanding sarcasm and tone differences. My wife is Filo and as born in the Philippines but she knows the English language better than I do. She still gets confused about sarcasm, tone and certain phrases that have different meanings.

miles118

You're black, huh? Post your picture. Nice qualifier as though you speak for other black people.
I should post my picture so as to satisfy your curiosity ? Is it so hard to believe that if people keep using the race card for everything and nothing people will not take it seriously anymore ? Don't you see that it destroy credibility, or is it so hard to understand. I will not post my picture on some forums. I do not like to post personal information on the internet just to satisfy your curiosity. That would be dumb. Doesn't matter if you do not believe. Nothing is lost.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Don't think doxxing yourself is a great idea for anyone. Pointless even someone asks.

To get a nod of approval on the internet?

He did it for likes... I never believe anyone who says "as a black guy" when being anonymous you can say you're anything just to push some racist idea or crap on a black or brown person so as to sound like you're "colorblind". I've seen that play out too often.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I should post my picture so as to satisfy your curiosity ? Is it so hard to believe that if people keep using the race card for everything and nothing people will not take it seriously anymore ? Don't you see that it destroy credibility, or is it so hard to understand. I will not post my picture on some forums. I do not like to post personal information on the internet.

He didn't use the race card. He told about his experiences on set he believed were race related. If I tell you I experienced something I believe is racist, you're telling me that's using the race card? Are you serious right now?

Plus joss saying cyborg was nonsense and bad acting flies in the face of MOST reviews saying cyborg was the best part of ZSJL.

Ionian

He did it for likes... I never believe anyone who says "as a black guy" when being anonymous you can say you're anything just to push some racist idea or crap on a black or brown person so as to sound like you're "colorblind". I've seen that play out too often.

You sound like a wounded soldier. May you get well soon.

Us grown ups have been using the internet for decades and can spot them from a mile.

Pray tell, what have you done to help anti-racist work? Honest question.

miles118

He didn't use the race card. He told about his experiences on set he believed were race related. If I tell you I experienced something I believe is racist, you're telling me that's using the race card? Are you serious right now?

Plus joss saying cyborg was nonsense and bad acting flies in the face of MOST reviews saying cyborg was the best part of ZSJL.
You are wrong. They cut him because he was drama queen. Then he started playing the race card saying "a black man can't get angry blah, blah blah". F* him. He doesn't do this for a cause or anything else. he does this to serve himself. His career is over now and good riddance.

ManaByte

You are wrong. They cut him because he was drama queen. Then he started playing the race card saying "a black man can't get angry blah, blah blah". F* him. He doesn't do this for a cause or anything else. he does this to serve himself. His career is over now and good riddance.
He refused to say BOOYAH claiming it was racist.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I take it that "as a black guy" you don't know about the angry black man stereotype? That a black man who is stern and stands up for himself.is often seen as "angry" ... Which is also true in the angry black woman stereotype. But yeah.

You believe a predator like Whedon over Fisher. Ok.

Hope that clout helps you feel better. Sounding like "racism is over!"

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You sound like a wounded soldier. May you get well soon.

Us grown ups have been using the internet for decades and can spot them from a mile.

Pray tell, what have you done to help anti-racist work? Honest question.

I do my part by educating others (white, black, Asian, etc) who believe all the stereotypes about black folks. And I do that by talking to them about history... Recent and from the 1950s and older. And I can always cite what I say.

Ionian

I take it that "as a black guy" you don't know about the angry black man stereotype? That a black man who is stern and stands up for himself.is often seen as "angry" ... Which is also true in the angry black woman stereotype. But yeah.

Are you black?

Honest question.

miles118

So you are untouchable because of the color of a skin ? Everytime this guy does something wrong, or say something wrong he can't be punished and if they do punish he can just say "you are racist for punishing me" and when they do punish him he can just say "angry black man blah blah blah" ? What part about being a drama queen don't you understand. He refused to shoot scenes with Walter Amanda, and said if Amanda is there he will not be there. They cut him and now he is complaining with his race bullsh*t. You think you are helping against racism but you are far from it. You are not helping at all.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
He refused to say BOOYAH claiming it was racist.
Sarcastic Joke GIF

We don't know if this is true, and even if it is we have no context or whatsoever. Not to mention than compared to everything else Whedon has done this is just a little grain of sand.
I don't know why you have a personal agenda against anything related to Snyder.

ManaByte

We don't know if this is true, and even if it is we have no context or whatsoever.
We literally have Fisher explaining it.

Fisher says he doesn’t see the word in itself as an issue, but he thought it played differently in a live-action film than the animated series. And he thought of Black characters in pop culture with defining phrases: Gary Coleman’s “Whatchoo talkin’ ’bout, Willis?”; Jimmie Walker’s “Dy-no-mite!” As no one else in the film had a catchphrase, he says, “It seemed weird to have the only Black character say that.”

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
We literally have Fisher explaining it.
This don't change my point

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So you are untouchable because of the color of a skin ? Everytime this guy does something wrong, or say something wrong he can't be punished and if they do punish he can just say "you are racist for punishing me" and when they do punish him he can just say "angry black man blah blah blah" ? What part about being a drama queen don't you understand. He refused to shoot scenes with Walter Amanda, and said if Amanda is there he will not be there. They cut him and now he is complaining with his race bullsh*t. You think you are helping against racism but you are far from it. You are not helping at all.

First... His surname is Hamada. He's Japanese-American.

He said he didn't want to do the movie if Hamada was there because he said Hamada was running interference for, if IIRC, Geoff John's, who also faced backlash unrelated to Fisher.

And you're adding a ton of crap that I never said nor intimated.

Last edited:

Ionian

Seriously? How? Talking with someone.who thinks stereotypes are the truth and explaining context is racist?

I've lived and worked in many countries, thus different ethnicity came into play when dating. Not that I cared was just whoever lived there and I got along with and was attracted to. sounds crazy! I could have been at home wanking over video games instead of discovering a new world and life.

Now I could give you a list but that ain't my style. Sicily, Poland, Japanese, top three for me. Spanish maybe 4.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've lived and worked in many countries, thus different ethnicity came into play when dating. Not that I cared was just whoever lived there and I got along with and was attracted to. sounds crazy! I could have been at home wanking over video games instead of discovering a new world and life.

Now I could give you a list but that ain't my style. Sicily, Poland, Japanese, top three for me. Spanish maybe 4.

That's the thing... Here in the states, many are FAR less educated on race, amongst many subjects, which is why we have continued problems with it here.

Good on you, though, for being a good lad. More folks need to be like you, StreetsofBeige and others.

drganon

Joss Whedon, the shithead male feminist always blaming others for his fuck ups. He was doing this way back in the day for alien resurrection sucking, doesn't surprise me now hes doing it to try and make himself look better now that hes been cancelled.

HoodWinked

It's masterful how WB/DC is able to wreck the DCEU that they can carry it over to even destroy careers.

Also surprising to see Whedon grow some balls. The Gal Gadot shit is hilarious cause you could totally see her getting angry because she misunderstood what he said.

Top Bottom