• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JRPGs: Welp, I tried.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
no-one-cares-i-dont-care.gif

I tried hopping back in with FFVII Remake. The fan service is top notch, I had a lot of fun with them in 16 and 32 bit eras. Even a long fling with Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast, but for whatever reason it doesn't click anymore. I'm 20 hours in and the side quests are just such a chore. I'm gonna push through because when I heard the battle theme remade the first time I damn near cried. But yeah, the luster wore off on the gameplay. If not for the familiar faces and sounds, I'm not sure I'd play it.
Try replaying the original FFVII, you'll be surprised by how good it is.

I played a lot of Final Fantasy in my time, but for some reason skipped FFVII until quite late, I only played it on PSP so about 15 years ago (I had a crisis core numbered PSP, so we're talking 2007/2008).

And the game was amazing. Played FFVII remake near launch, very pretty, but doesn't strike the same notes. Went back to FFVII, still does.

I'm very confused, what was the straw that broke the camel's back? Not every JRPG is filled with insane levels of fluff like the Persona games.

And IMO there's quite a good amount of JRPG's with super fun combat. Off the top of my head:

-Baten Kaitos games
-FFXIII/XIII-2/LR, VIIR, Type-0
-Grandia series especially III
-Kingdom Hearts II
-The Last Story
-Can I count Onimusha 4 as a JRPG? Because it should be counted as one. Onimusha 4
-Resonance of Fate
-Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
-Star Ocean IV
-Shadow Hearts II and III
-Tales series, minus Legendia and Berseria
-This is unpopular but I personally fucking love the combat in Xenosaga Episode II. Enemies only take long if you don't know what you're doing (for the most part), and the journey is over in like 22 hours.

Last edited:
Try replaying the original FFVII, you'll be surprised by how good it is.

I played a lot of Final Fantasy in my time, but for some reason skipped FFVII until quite late, I only played it on PSP so about 15 years ago (I had a crisis core numbered PSP, so we're talking 2007/2008).

And the game was amazing. Played FFVII remake near launch, very pretty, but doesn't strike the same notes. Went back to FFVII, still does.
I’ve played the OG 2 or 3 times, but it has been a long ass time.

Tried IX, definitely a good game but I got distracted and stopped playing. Haven't played Tactics, but I've given SEVERAL tactics RPGs a shot and they just didn't click with me.

I have heard very good things about Vagrant Story forever. I really should give that a shot some day.

Definitely give IX a shot again as it's completely worth it.

Try Tactics. It has a fantastic story and does what modern tactics RPGs does but way better. I'd argue the best if not for Tactics Ogre: LUCT.

Without a doubt on Vagrant Story. Very unique in many senses.

Another good one is Parasite Eve I + 2.

KàIRóS

The one game I always recommend for your situation is The Last Story, that game is IMO the best paced JRPG ever, around 15-20 hours long, no grinding required, random encounters are optional, combat is a mix of Action and Strategy similar to FFVII Remake, music by Nobuo Uematsu, story by Hironobu Sakaguchi.

If you can't handle that one, then yeah the genre is just not for you.

pramod

Banned
Japanese RPGs are very different from Western ones. The entire design philosophy and focus are different.

JRPGs are 40% character, 20% story, 30% gameplay, 10% realism.

Western RPGs are 10% character, 20% story, 40% gameplay, 30% realism.

By realism I mean Western RPGs try to lay out the world for you in a believable way. If theres a dungeon it has a purpose and history. Same goes with towns and every place in the game. This type of design doesnt exist in JRPGs.

And in JRPGs you are always playing a predesigned character with a rich backstory. Not a random avatar that represents yourself. Ie playing a hero instead of being the hero.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Persona 5 sucked though. The equivalent of Paper Mario Sticker Star with a Persona/SMT template.

I'm not sure the future for that franchise will be sunny after that was successful.
I would say the opposite. Persona 5 was the best entry sales wise and more spinoffs are already here.
Not just the gameplay but I liked the couch story/dream-interpretations too, and the brilliant music.

Persona is one of the only game I enjoyed having turn based combat, not too hard, not too grindy.

Same. I tried a few but they just don’t hit the mark for me. I gave Tales of Vesperia, Ni No Kuni and Fire Emblem Three Houses a go and none of them were my sort of thing.

FF Tactics looks great though and I’m up for giving that new game by the Suikoden Devs a go.

Banned
I've played a LOT of genres over the years, including some of the more obscure sub-genres. From AAA budget games to 1-man indies and everything in between.

Japanese devs have always had a special place in my heart as almost all of my favorite series are Japanese. However, one genre always eluded me. The JRPG.

I played Chrono Trigger as a teenager and loved it, but outside of that only dipped my toe into the genre every few years. Lately I've been quite enamored with buying JRPGs, but seldom every playing them. Telling myself I'd get to it. And even when I did start one, I just never finished it or got further than 10 or 15 hours.

I really wanted to like the genre. There are a lot of attractive parts. The art styles, bombastic set pieces, absurdity, cheesy characters, etc. I like all that stuff. But at the end of the day, I can't stomach walking around and talking to NPCs and fighting the same boring enemies over and over and over for hours. I don't mind a grind, but the combat has to be fun (Monster Hunter comes to mind).

They're too long, have too much inane dialogue that doesn't move the story forward, and too repetitive.

I guess I just need the monkey brain stuff where I'm shooting/killing/punching/stomping something every five seconds.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not including any Japanese developed Action RPGs in this. That's possibly my favorite genre (Souls, Nioh etc.). I'm talkin' your Xenoblades, Personas, Final Fantasys, etc.

EDIT EDIT: I have played quite a few JRPGs. You don't need to recommend anything. The genre just isn't for me despite being attracted to certain elements.

as someone who also doesn't generally like JRPGs (mostly because I am of the opinion that most of them are terribly designed games)
I have to ask if you tried something like Resonance of Fate. way less talking, way less wandering around and really fun combat.

it also is just all in all very unique, basically even simple things like traversal and upgrading weapons basically are puzzle games. so even these things are gameplay elements with depth and not just holding the stick forward or clicking on menus to see numbers go up.

example, here's a highly optimized gun build you can make if you are goo enough at tetris xD
pRbpapd.png

Ladioss

I like JRPGs (huge part of my personal vg history), but frankly, you need to be under 18 of mental age and focus on the 16/32 bits stuff to appreciate this genre. Which is not a problem for me.

Last edited:

Porcile

Anyone remember Opoona? Play that lol

Opoona.jpg

Seriously though you should really play Final Fantasy Tactics

Ryu Kaiba

Second all your recs, though I would not start with IX. And FFT is an SRPG, a bit of a different beast, but as a Matsuno game it has a very western feel to it so even people unfamiliar with the genre would like it.
Yeah, true, would not start with FF 9. Probably Vagrant Story, then Tactics, and then 9.
9 Was my first JRPG and it's what made me fall in love with them. I'd say its a great place to start as well as X and 7 Remake.

Ryu Kaiba

I wish someone would make a mod for DragonQuest XI that would dramatically cut down on the time it takes to level up. I enjoy the genre and think DragonQuest would be one of my favorite franchises if it weren't for that.

I really wanted to like the genre. There are a lot of attractive parts. The art styles, bombastic set pieces, absurdity, cheesy characters, etc. I like all that stuff. But at the end of the day, I can't stomach walking around and talking to NPCs and fighting the same boring enemies over and over and over for hours. I don't mind a grind, but the combat has to be fun (Monster Hunter comes to mind).
So, which ones did you try and was there something specific in each of them that caused you to drop them?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I'm with you on this OP, I just can't get into most of the newer JRPGs.

Last I tried was DQ11 and it didn't click with me, same with Octopath Traveler. I see the Trails series and also cannot get into them.

I think my gaming tastes have just changed.

With that said, I'm very much looking forward to FF16 due mainly to it's creators.

I would say the opposite. Persona 5 was the best entry sales wise and more spinoffs are already here.
Not just the gameplay but I liked the couch story/dream-interpretations too, and the brilliant music.

Persona is one of the only game I enjoyed having turn based combat, not too hard, not too grindy.
I agree to disagree but I really can't relate/understand such an opinion.

The game lacks a soul and never picks up after the first dungeon (the only one where it seems like it might), gameplay is a dumbified version of Persona 4, without difficulty and enemy variety. Like you say there's no grind, but there's no challenge as well. Grinding doesn't give you anything, even if you were to do it, and it's not fun. The rest of the game is no fun too.

But the worst is how the game/cat controls your time (in P5, not P5 Royal) and the barrage of text you get everywhere and on your phone, basically recaps of info you already know. There were times I was skipping text for minutes, repeating things is not character building.

It was a chore to play. And that never happened on any Shin Megami Tensei to me. One of the worst JRPG's I ever finished, took a lot to keep at it and see it through the end. I also disliked the characters. Again with the going back to make sure troupe, I replayed Persona 3 afterwards and the magic is still there, so it's Persona 5 and not the concept that lost it's magic to me.

I also played Catherine and really liked it warts and all, after finishing Persona 5, so I really can't understand how that team could do well, this. Their direction, intuition and balance was really good before.

I can't imagine P5 Royal redeeming it much.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can still remember the first time I played dragon warrior and final fantasy on nes.
I was hooked! I played every jpg released in the US up until FF6 then there were just too many smaller titles for me to keep up… so I just kept to the big games.

Since then it’s all been down hill with cutscenes taking over importance more than the actual role playing and character building.

Rpgs in general we’re better with lesser graphics and more stats. They were more like books where you had to use you imagination more.

Kev Kev

the genre is in a very bad place right now.

it has gone from being legendary, and having some of the best games in the industry, to being a niche genre full of mediocre games and washed up developers while still being consumed by some of the worst, most cringe video games fans that the world has to offer.

developers have every reason and opportunity to turn things around with each new release, but its like they keep leaning into this mediocrity and cringe. i dont understand what the hell is going on over there, but i hate it, and i really hope FF16 is this come to jesus moment that fans of yoshi p and crew say its going to be. the genre desperately needs something to change.

The issue is passion and freedom.

Final Fantasy was GREAT when developers were basically making the games they wanted to play. That lasted until FF VII, with FFIX being an exception and FFXII battling the corporate meddling and losing - from then on no passion. I think online FF gets away unscathed because it has less meddling, people in charge of them make the game they want to play.

This is applicable to any good RPG. Nier Automata? Good because the dev was doing the game they would like to play.

Sakaguchi continues to make good games because he does the games that he would like to play. Dragon Quest continues to be good probably for the very same reasons although I haven't played the last one still.

Persona was good until Persona 4 due to that ethos being entrenched, the game was just cool. I didn't feel that in Persona 5 as cool as it was trying to be, it wasn't cool it was trying to be cool, big difference.

It applies to everything really.

Last edited:

Griffon

I'm with you OP.
When I was younger, I thought I was a fan of JRPGs, but the truth is I played the only good ones that ever existed (CT, FF7, FF9, FF12).

But every time I've been trying another game in the genre, I've been either bored or frustrated, story sucks, gameplay sucks, everything in between.

I had to come to the conclusion that I don't like JRPGs, all I like are the best square games from the 90s/00s. Nothing else.
Note that I'm only speaking about straight RPGs, I still enjoy a few recent ARPGs.

Last edited:
But every time I've been trying another game in the genre, I've been either bored or frustrated, story sucks, gameplay sucks, everything in between.
The issue is the modern JRPG formula.

I still tolerate it, but it bothers me as well. To go with this kind of formula and systems they should make the games smaller. Gameplay is also less and less polished.

Mabdia

I loved Chrono Trigger but loathed Chrono Cross, I tried the remaster and I still don't like the gameplay, story, and especially the dime a dozen characters.

I loved both. A timeless gem of gaming to me. Too bad that you don't liked it.

I tried hopping back in with FFVII Remake. The fan service is top notch, I had a lot of fun with them in 16 and 32 bit eras. Even a long fling with Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast, but for whatever reason it doesn't click anymore. I'm 20 hours in and the side quests are just such a chore. I'm gonna push through because when I heard the battle theme remade the first time I damn near cried. But yeah, the luster wore off on the gameplay. If not for the familiar faces and sounds, I'm not sure I'd play it.

I feel the same. It looks like Final Fantasy VII in some parts. But the game-play destroy everything to me. To me looks like something to create a lot of wallpaper. I got it on Plus and tried for few hours. But to me the time that I can spent playing that, I could perfectly use to play the original and have done that.

I'm very confused, what was the straw that broke the camel's back? Not every JRPG is filled with insane levels of fluff like the Persona games.

And IMO there's quite a good amount of JRPG's with super fun combat. Off the top of my head:

-Baten Kaitos games
-FFXIII/XIII-2/LR, VIIR, Type-0
-Grandia series especially III
-Kingdom Hearts II
-The Last Story
-Can I count Onimusha 4 as a JRPG? Because it should be counted as one. Onimusha 4
-Resonance of Fate
-Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
-Star Ocean IV
-Shadow Hearts II and III
-Tales series, minus Legendia and Berseria
-This is unpopular but I personally fucking love the combat in Xenosaga Episode II. Enemies only take long if you don't know what you're doing (for the most part), and the journey is over in like 22 hours.

FFXIII is better than XV and the VII reboot, but to be honest with you the gameplay is kinda boring to me. I really hate have a party but not have access to control all members actions, the story has good momensts, but is boring and the cast is really bad. And to be honest, XIII is one of the ones that I think is playable.

KH I can't play it even if my life depends on this.

But But I really enjoyed Berseria... and that says a lot, because I really hate action rpgs.

The cast is fun, the story is good/decent, and the gameplay is good for an action game. And Magilou and Velvet both are amazing!
P3NGIzk.jpg
co2PDcQ.png

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

They’re too slow/time wasting for me these days. I’ve become spoilt by instant gratification.

I tried DQ - Echoes and I was quite enjoying it, but something as simple as having to spam through the post battle menus just put me off. You want me to do that every single time I have a battle? Which is like every 30 seconds or so?

Nah man…

Top Bottom