• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judas, the new game from Ken Levine

Kabelly

i was just thinking about this game today. watched the trailer again. it looks really cool. thought we got something because of the thread bump.

zFPyMzF.gif

This next statement is not a knock against you. This is a knock against Ken Levine.

What the fuck are narrative Legos? Is he just making shit up like Hideo Kojima and the "Strand-like" genre?

Regardless, how can someone look at that trailer and not see the BioShock similarities, especially knowing Ken Levine is in charge?
Just like Kojima he is trying to innovate and I think that should be applauded. He could’ve made 3 sequels similar to Bioshock, just with a different setting, but he chose to make something different.

Go watch his GDC talk about Narrative Legos from 10 yrs ago and you’ll see what he meant by that.

It’s basically a procedural story where the NPCs relations to the player and other NPCs are shaped through the player’s actions and things happening in the game world.

I also listened to an interview he did with Colin Moriarty half a year ago and he said that not all ideas made it to Judas, but some definitely did.

So regardless I’m very interested in what they’ve been creating.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

Definitely looking forward to this. I actually didn't know until last year that "Ghost Story Games" was the result of the tear down of Irrational, I thought Levine had simply formed another studio to work on smaller games.

I know BioShock Infinite was a big mess internally. Nate Wells is credited in both that game and "The Last of Us" despite a mere ten week gap in release dates. Then Bill Gardener was gone less than a year after release. Good on 2K for not completely pulling the plug after such an enormous amount of time. We're not getting SWAT 5, but hopefully this game can at least correct the area where 2K Marin missed the mark on BioShock 2 and Irrational missed on Infinite - environments that can be revisited and actually deliver on the structure that made System Shock 2 and BioShock so brilliant, among other things.

near

Gold Member
I don't know the exact day when it's going to happen. All I know is that they have been gearing up for this announcement since early January, so I guess it shouldn't take long for them to reveal it to the public.

It's possible that they might be waiting for an event like State of Play, but this is just a guess.

If it's so easy to predict, then tell me about some other game without any info since 2022 that you think will have a big announcement in the next 30 days.
So Ghost Story Games will have an announcement to make regarding Judas within the next 30 days? Okay, we'll see.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't know the exact day when it's going to happen. All I know is that they have been gearing up for this announcement since early January, so I guess it shouldn't take long for them to reveal it to the public.

It's possible that they might be waiting for an event like State of Play, but this is just a guess.

If it's so easy to predict, then tell me about some other game without any info since 2022 that you think will have a big announcement in the next 30 days.

I can also say that the mobile version of Rust is in development, and Level Infinite (Tencent company) is involved in this project. This is going to be announced this year.

Ubisoft's Heroes game as well.

I can even tell you that there is an unannounced movie from a big media entertainment company with the title ending 'in the Yard,' and it's planned for 2024. I'm not going to give the full title as it's too specific, and I don't want any problems from this company.

✌️

you expect us to believe when they are going to talk about your game Ken? Nice try mr Levine, we know you know, but you are always cryptic.

Perrott

Gold Member
This next statement is not a knock against you. This is a knock against Ken Levine.

What the fuck are narrative Legos? Is he just making shit up like Hideo Kojima and the "Strand-like" genre?

Regardless, how can someone look at that trailer and not see the BioShock similarities, especially knowing Ken Levine is in charge?
Think something along the lines of the Nemesis System from the Middle-Earth games, but applied to the actual narrative of the game instead of just character interactions.

Moochi

Narrative Legos make perfect sense, but are extremely ambitious from a design and writing perspective. I've written character dialog trees before. A simple conversation with multiple dialog choices can easily branch into a large amount of work. For 300 words of dialog as seen by the player, you might be looking at 5k words of dialog in terms of actual original writing. Some of this can be mitigated by funneling choices into a main dialog thread, but at the cost of losing the depth of possibility that true free choice dialog allows.

Now, imaging trying to take those concepts and apply them to scenarios, little blocks of game content that may be wildly different not only in dialog, but setting, enemies, quests, etc. That's an incredible amount of work, especially at the AAA level. It's unlikely to succeed for a long game, but for a shorter experience like 2-4 hours, it could be done.

AI is going to enable this to happen, but it will require a lot of effort for a studio to create the tools and workflow protocols that will be necessary.

kyussman

I guess it's good that if we are getting a new Bioshock (in spirit) it is at least coming from the creator of Bioshock,everything will be in order.......but it's gonna have to outshine Prey,no easy task I tell you.

I want to like it but I have to be convinced it meets DEI and ESG scores first... I mean, is Sweet Baby Inc. even involved? From what we have seen, can someone convince me?

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I'm in, Bioshovk all over the game's dna, but that's what i like about it, we are not getting Bioshock 4 anytime soon and i love those games. although i hope someone makes Ken actually release the game like they had to with Infinite, i like Judas, i want to play it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Infinite wasn't a bad game but what they showed in that demo was whole entire different game compare to what we got in final game.

I hope they don’t do the same mistakes here.

Despite not being in to FPS games I enjoyed Bioshock series for some reason, so I will keep my eye on this for now.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Not a fan of robot enemies in principle, but everything else about this looks intriguing. Bioshock 1 is the single most impressive game I've ever played. As in, it left an impression on me.

If this game is even half as impressive, it'll be better than most games.

Killer8

The design of the game re: "narrative Lego" (I refuse to use Levine's ridiculous 'Legos' plural) is very intriguing, but it's too bad that the end result we see on screen just looks like BioShock farted through a Tumblr filter.

Brock2621

I basically don’t wanna watch any more trailers. I’m so sold and such a huge fan of him I halfway squinted through this just to get an idea of it but don’t want spoilers

Top Bottom