• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge dismisses investor lawsuit against Activision Blizzard

Topher

Gold Member

Justice said that the case lacked enough facts to prove that the company was aware of harassment within its workplace​

A US District Court judge this week dismissed a lawsuit filed against Activision Blizzard by a group of the studio's investors, but given them a window to revise their complaint and file again.

The document indicated that in part, "The backdrop of the #MeToo movement and national media coverage of accused industry titans is too vague a concept to raise a strong inference of scienter."

The main point of the case, which was filed last year, said that between August 4, 2016 and July 27, 2021, investors were misled because the company didn't inform them about the ongoing investigations by the DFEH and EEOC.

The investor lawsuit described Activision Blizzard as a "breeding ground for harassment and discrimination against women."

US District Judge Anderson said that while the case argued that certain individuals knew about the investigations, it suffered from "a lack of particularity."

He added, "To the extent plaintiffs allege that defendants must have known sexual harassment and discrimination were endemic by virtue of their respective positions at the company, the [first amended complaint] does not establish the requisite facts to support such a conclusion."

The document concluded that the group of investors can file another complaint addressing the issues highlighted in the dismissal, within 30 days.

An Activision Blizzard representative responded to the decision, saying, "We are pleased with the court's ruling that plaintiffs failed to establish their claims."

Activision Blizzard's communications to investors about the DFEH investigation are also the subject of an ongoing Securities and Exchange Commission investigation. That investigation was launched last September and widened in February.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

lacked enough facts to prove that the company was aware of harassment​

bad-boys-mike-lowery.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You can smell the bullshit from miles away.

HTK

Banned
People do these lawsuits all the time without any actual evidence it's quite annoying tbh. Either you have real evidence to build a legitimate case or you're wasting everyone's time based on a n4g.com article, and hearsay.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Remember when Bloomberg was a respected name in financial news? Now the Kotaku reject has turned it into a rag.
This is... straightforward news reporting of something that the US Labor board announced... what in the world does that have to do with Jason Schrier?

You can smell the bullshit from miles away.
Why, just because we as gamers hate activision, doesn't mean they are guilty on this. Its a large claim to call a whole company guilty of neglect due to harassment laws. Especially in the days of narcissism and social media where people call harassment things like: "he looked at me" , or "he didn't look at me" .. ... "or he wouldn't sleep with me due to being the wrong gender". Browser twitter sometime on their "me too" stuff and see what I mean.

Calling everyone at the company complicit requires tons of evidence. Just she said/he said, isn't going to cut it. Also If i were a judge I would scrutinize everything. We have people now that call a glance, (male gaze ...., the patriarchy , reeeee)... oppression and harrasment, and tons of activsts online push for "code of conduct" plans or to have people fired so they can install their ideologues and hire their friends.

Top Bottom