• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juno's latest photo of Jupiter looks like a painting

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
a3mqxGm.jpg

Link.

This enhanced color view of Jupiter's cloud tops was processed by citizen scientist Bjorn Jonsson using data from the JunoCam instrument on NASA's Juno spacecraft. The image highlights a massive counterclockwise rotating storm that appears as a white oval in the gas giant's southern hemisphere.

Juno acquired this image on Feb. 2, 2017, at 6:13 a.m. PDT (9:13 a.m. EDT), as the spacecraft performed a close flyby of Jupiter. When the image was taken, the spacecraft was about 9,000 miles (14,500 kilometers) from the planet.

It also completed it's fifth flyby of the red giant.

NASA's Juno mission accomplished a close flyby of Jupiter on May 19, successfully completing its fifth science orbit.

All of Juno's science instruments and the spacecraft's JunoCam were operating during the flyby, collecting data that is now being returned to Earth. Juno's next close flyby of Jupiter will occur on July 11, 2017, taking it over Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

Nokterian

This looks amazing and mesmerizing, space is so damn cool. And to think we as human beings with a conscience know what kind of planets we have in our solar system makes it even more awesome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't fool me. This is just a close up of some obscure Van Gogh.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm really curious how that is supposed to look on ground/sky level.

Assuming there is a ground.

Also assuming that that storm would engulf half of our planet, it would probably look like what I'd imagine Hell would be like.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm really curious how that is supposed to look on ground/sky level.
Okay, it'd probably be alot more interesting like that inbetween layers.

Also, there is no ground level. Jupiter is a gas giant :(

I guess at some point, the gas would become some form of liquid due to pressure.

But i'm sure it wouldn't take very long at all diving into Jupiter before it became pitch black due to no sunlight getting through

Retro

Fun Fact: The Little Red Spot is larger than the Earth;

Although it seems small when viewed against Jupiter's vast scale, the Little Red Spot is actually about the size of Earth, and the Great Red Spot is around three Earth diameters across. Both are giant storms in Jupiter's southern hemisphere powered by warm air rising in their centers. (source)

Top Bottom