• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a 3070Ti from Scan for £529 is it worth it

DonJorginho

Banned
Yes to both.
Nothing about nVidia is ever overpriced.
GPU's are generally not worth the price when compared to consoles. How the prices keeps going up is just ridicilous at this point.
200.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Which model? You can likely flip it for hundreds more than you bought it for if you're not desperate for a GPU upgrade.

It's still like the ~7th best GPU on the market regardless of how much nVidia is directly gouging its own products.

Ellery

Not sure how the prices are in the UK atm, but the 3070 Ti card is a LHR model which means that it is less desirable for miners and miners are the people that pay the extremely high prices for NON-LHR cards.

3070 Ti and 3080 Ti are much more easily available than the other cards and if I had to take an educated guess I don't think you can flip it for much.

Was joined to one of those telegram stock checkers and managed to grab one but I'd it worth it?

Are the Ti models not usually overpriced?
Disregarding the current crazy market situation the 3060 Ti is genuinely good price to performance wise at MSRP. 3070 Ti and 3080 Ti not so much.

KAL2006

Banned
Not sure how the prices are in the UK atm, but the 3070 Ti card is a LHR model which means that it is less desirable for miners and miners are the people that pay the extremely high prices for NON-LHR cards.

3070 Ti and 3080 Ti are much more easily available than the other cards and if I had to take an educated guess I don't think you can flip it for much.

Looking at Facebook marketplace and eBay it's still going for considerably more than the retail price.

KAL2006

Banned
you bought it not being sure if it's worth it? lol.

wtf why did you even buy it? do you even have a PC to put it in?

No but been thinking of joining the PC masterace for a while now but wasn't so sure due to overpriced GPUs. How much do you think the rest of the components will cost just what a good idea how much to build a full pc is

Woffls

only a good catch if you actually want it. other components will be around £600-£1k depending on… well… what you want.

i’ve been looking to upgrade for ages now, but think i will wait for Alder lake and keep my 1070 chugging along for a bit.

I think the answer lies upon your own specific circumstances. What are you upgrading from? How unsatisfied are you with the current GPU performance? Are your other components upto mark? How much value do you put in RT and DLSS?

Knowing nothing about the above, can only say that the price is pretty good give the crazy state of the market.

Jose92

[Membe
Was joined to one of those telegram stock checkers and managed to grab one but I'd it worth it?

Are the Ti models not usually overpriced?
Do you have any next gen console ? Do you want one ?

if no then.

Do you have a 1440p 120hz+ monitor? Do you plan to buy one?

if yes then buy it.

if no then buy a 3070 or 3060 Ti.

My humble opinion.

KAL2006

Banned
Is 3070Ti too weak for 4k gaming. My plan was to get the 42 OLED next year. But I'm reading you need a 3080 minimum for 4K gaming.

KAL2006

Banned
I think the answer lies upon your own specific circumstances. What are you upgrading from? How unsatisfied are you with the current GPU performance? Are your other components upto mark? How much value do you put in RT and DLSS?

Knowing nothing about the above, can only say that the price is pretty good give the crazy state of the market.

I already own a PS5, but to be honest I'm slowly tempted by PC gaming. If I can built a decent PC for under £800 that would be tempting. So I already got a 3070Ti for £540. Can I purchase the rest of the components and make it under £800. Surely nabbing a GPU at retail price makes my PC build significantly cheaper.

lils

GPU's are generally not worth the price when compared to consoles. How the prices keeps going up is just ridicilous at this point.

apples and oranges. the sort of person who would want a GPU (and presumably the rest of a computer) and the sort of person who would want a console are looking for very different things

reksveks

Depends on when in the console cycle you are buying it. Two to three years into a normal cycle, the equation generally flips.

Graciaus

I already own a PS5, but to be honest I'm slowly tempted by PC gaming. If I can built a decent PC for under £800 that would be tempting. So I already got a 3070Ti for £540. Can I purchase the rest of the components and make it under £800. Surely nabbing a GPU at retail price makes my PC build significantly cheaper.
I highly doubt you could buy a motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply and a case for £260 that would use your new GPU to its fullest.

Last edited:

lils

Is 3070Ti too weak for 4k gaming

well, first of all let me just clarify that this depends on the games you're playing, the settings you want to play those games at, and the framerate you want.

as far as 60fps goes, it should handle it just fine.

judging from your other posts it seems you might be console gaming at the moment, in which case you will be used to 30fps and this would be fine. but, you may want to think about 1440p high refresh rate as well. anything you could run at 4k 60fps could be done at 1440p 144hz too, assuming your CPU would be good enough.

1440p 144hz monitors can be had for very cheap nowadays, and most PC gamers would say that this is a better solution than 4k 60hz. ultimately it's up to you to decide, whichever you choose though take a look at hardware unboxed, they have the best monitor reviews around.

I already own a PS5, but to be honest I'm slowly tempted by PC gaming. If I can built a decent PC for under £800 that would be tempting. So I already got a 3070Ti for £540. Can I purchase the rest of the components and make it under £800.
lol, not even close. Unless you buy used and even that is a stretch.

What are your reasons for wanting to get into PC gaming? Not saying it’s a bad idea.

And forget about 4k. It’s a waste of hardware, though with DLSS games it should be doable.

KAL2006

Banned

There are multiple reasons why I want a gaming PC.

1. I want to play Xbox exclusives that are coming, but don't want to play for another online subscription.

2. I want mods such as games like Assassin's Creed that have long grinds can have mods that make grinding quicker.

3. Cheaper games on PC

4. I was going to move my PS5 to my office and buy another TV. Reason why I wanted to do this is cannot game in the lounge as the wife and kid hogs the TV. This would allow me to just keep my PS5 there and just game on my PC. PS5 would then be relegated to light gaming and exclusives while I mainly game on PC.

However it all comes down to price I don't wanna spend more than £800

KAL2006

Banned

What are your reasons for wanting to get into PC gaming? Not saying it’s a bad idea.

And forget about 4k. It’s a waste of hardware, though with DLSS games it should be doable.

What about £1000 I've seen pre build go for that surely I can build something cheaper than a pre build.

KAL2006

Banned
well, first of all let me just clarify that this depends on the games you're playing, the settings you want to play those games at, and the framerate you want.

as far as 60fps goes, it should handle it just fine.

judging from your other posts it seems you might be console gaming at the moment, in which case you will be used to 30fps and this would be fine. but, you may want to think about 1440p high refresh rate as well. anything you could run at 4k 60fps could be done at 1440p 144hz too, assuming your CPU would be good enough.

1440p 144hz monitors can be had for very cheap nowadays, and most PC gamers would say that this is a better solution than 4k 60hz. ultimately it's up to you to decide, whichever you choose though take a look at hardware unboxed, they have the best monitor reviews around.

Yep just checked id probably go for a 1440p monitor looks like a good alternative. I already have 2 1080p monitors from work so will have a triple monitor setup.

Ok excellent. Do you already have a display? Have you given thought on what resolution and frame rates you want to target? Based on your preferences, maybe a 3070ti might be overkill (or not enough, but this is less likely).

Edit: saw that you are planning a 1440p build. Then this card should be more than fine.

Edit 2: As for hitting 800 pounds. That could be a bit tough. You would need at least a Ryzen 3600. Most likely you would need Ryzen 5600x. Factoring in RAM, SSD, a good power supply and case etc.. difficult to see you not crossing the 1000 pound mark.

Last edited:

lils

I highly doubt you could buy a motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply and a case for £260 that would use your new GPU to its fullest.

this is the closest i could come up with: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8FNkF8

the CPU is quite weak, at 4k 60hz it would be no problem but i doubt it could cope with the 1440p 144hz i recommended.

also i wasn't able to fit in an SSD, with this budget it would have been instead of the hard drive which is not a good idea imo.

for case i just went for a cheap option that looked viable, aesthetics are always subjective so OP would have to do some shopping around to see what's good. also i'm not too sure on the lower end motherboards ( B Bulletbrain i can have a deeper look around if you like)

If the £800 includes the cost of the GPU then I'm afraid for £300 won't go far.
CPUs - £200 (Ryzen 3600)
Motherboard - £130+ (MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk)
Memory - £80 (16Gb Crucial Ballistix)
Case - £60+
Storage - £80+ 1tb SSD (the more the better but 1tb should be minimum and I would go for an NVME 1tb for £100)
Power Supply - £80

So over £630 to build ontop of your GPU cost.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Thanks everyone, I already have a 1tb NVME SSD, the prices for the rest of the components actually don't look too bad I think I'll wait for black Friday and see what I can do in terms of parts.

For CPU what's the best performance per watt CPU that would suit my GPU.

GHG

Just did some research apparently the 3070Ti draws way more power for not so much more powermance over the 3070. So will likely cancel my order

If you don't want it then flip it you fool.

Thanks everyone, I already have a 1tb NVME SSD, the prices for the rest of the components actually don't look too bad I think I'll wait for black Friday and see what I can do in terms of parts.

For CPU what's the best performance per watt CPU that would suit my GPU.

5800x

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If you don't want it then flip it you fool.

5800x

10400F or xx600K for OC'ing.

The 5800X is overpriced and doesnt do anything better than the 5600X or even the xx600Ks.
Bottom of the barrel for gaming just jump on a 10400F and call it a day.

KAL2006

Banned
Is it normal to have black Friday sales in other components such as case, CPU, ram, I may wait until then to see how prices are.

Kuranghi

Sorry for all the questions as I'm new to this

Is this monitor worth it
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/de...3-ps25493-with-dell-advantage-at-dell-3805904

Also with powerful gaming PCs, do they draw power if they are at idle or I'm just doing regular office work and browsing the new.

Well according to the URL its got Very Esoteric Salamander Accoutrements, Double Ponies AND Hot Donkey Monkey Injectors so definitely.

This site is quite good for display reviews:

Make sure you get a fast/good CPU if you want to play games at or approaching 165fps though. If you play at 1440p on a 3070 ti you will probably be CPU-limited most of the time, so you need a faster CPU to increase your fps after that happens.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not very subtle stealth brag thread?

After a google search this card goes for way more then £540.

GHG

10400F or xx600K for OC'ing.

The 5800X is overpriced and doesnt do anything better than the 5600X or even the xx600Ks.
Bottom of the barrel for gaming just jump on a 10400F and call it a day.

A 10400F will age horribly, is on a platform with an outdated feature-set and the upgrade path options aren't great.

If OP must skimp then the 5600X is all he should consider.

Yes.

On power draw, unless you are running a 24/7 OC then power draw is nothing to be concerned about.

Top Bottom