• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming pc!

Umbasaborne

Banned
Nexus is safe. The way to mod games can vary a bit but usually all you have to do is drag the files you've downloaded/extracted into the game folder, read instructions in the mod's page.

Apart from that, just be aware of compatibility and save issues. Some mods may not be compatible with the newest version of the game, or with each other. Other mods can also affect save files so once you install them, removing them in the middle of the game may break your save.
Ive done some pretty heavy modding on skyrim via xbox, so im familiar with some aspects. Skyrim on xbox for instance has a load order for mods, is there something similar on the pc?

Guilty_AI

Ive done some pretty heavy modding on skyrim via xbox, so im familiar with some aspects. Skyrim on xbox for instance has a load order for mods, is there something similar on the pc?
I'm not sure since i haven't done modding for Skyrim. There could be, as i've said it varies from case to case. There are some mods you have to literally run an executable and install like you'd do with a normal game, some that need modloaders, others like cyberpunk that require you to install certain compatibility mods in order to get the mods you want working.

The "Let there be Flight" mod you want for example requires you to install those:

ArchiveXLrequired since 0.1.7
Input Loader
Mod Settingsoptional since 0.1.6
RED4ext
redscript
TweakXL

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
First one I built, I was expecting it to be a pretty technical process. I knew a guy at work who built them for people, and he made it sound like it was sorcery (he was charging for the service).

But... it's incredibly easy. Take one motherboard, add CPU, RAM, case, cooler, GPU, power supply - in that order. Put this bit in here, that bit in there, plug some connecters into the only holes they'll fit in, and it's done. The only mildly tricky part might be getting the cables to look neat and tidy.
Right? It's LEGO's mixed with Where's Waldo. The hardest part imo is identifying which male bits go with which female bits--kinda like that couple that had trouble conceiving because they'd been doing anal the whole time

Thebonehead

Banned
Dumb question, but one of the first things i want to do is mod flying cars into cyberpunk. Ive never modded a game on pc before so what is that process like, is it simple? Do i need to worry about viruses or malware on sites like nexus mods?

As a matter of course, before installing anything, Simply drag and drop it into the virustotal webpage which scans the package in 70 or so commercial anti-virus vendors products.

NexusMods has always been fine for me, but I do this for anything that goes onto my machine a a matter of course.

calistan

Just a heads up, Intel motherboards are normally only good for two generations of CPUs as Intel tends to change their sockets every two years. This means you will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard before you can upgrade your CPU in the future.
You really won’t need to upgrade that CPU though. It’s total overkill for gaming, which is obviously a good thing.

CashPrizes

You wouldn't need a bigger power supply unless you were planning to upgrade the graphics card to something even more power-hungry, which doesn't yet exist.

You'll most likely need to remove the graphics card to install another SSD in a spare M2 slot, so I guess that's why they were charging extra for installing one at the shop.

Seems a bit cheeky to charge for overclocking, aka changing a couple of numbers in a text box in the BIOS, but overall that's great value for money for such high specs. Interesting looking case too.
Thanks for the input!
Thulsa Doom is a badass btw

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Cyberpunk on a 4090 with Psycho ray tracing and HDR is a sight to behold. It really is that transformative.

Absolutely incredible looking game once fully realised, with high NPC and traffic density.

Edit. Weird. I thought I was replying to your cyberpunk and dead space post.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Cyberpunk on a 4090 with Psycho ray tracing and HDR is a sight to behold. It really is that transformative.

Absolutely incredible looking game once fully realised, with high NPC and traffic density.

Edit. Weird. I thought I was replying to your cyberpunk and dead space post.
It really is incredible. Coming from many many years of exclusively gaming on consoles, my jaw hit the floor seeing those games in action. I think the ps5 and xbox series x are the first new systems to make me feel incredibly underwhelmed with their power. Even though their power level is totally sufficient for the price points they are sold at. I just never experienced that next gen feeling with them, outside of maybe demons souls. This pc is giving me that feeling that for me was missing when i booted games up on the ps5 and series x for the most part. Again not trying to dunk on them, i think they are powered perfectly for their price, but seeing how these games can look and run on a strong pc definitely left me feeling underwhelmed

Im so excited that im literally shaking. Not only is this my first gaming pc, but its also the most expensive thing ive ever purchased. Ive been a console pleb for the last 30 years of my life, what should I know going into this? I didnt buy a monitor because im hooking it right up to my 65 inch oled.

Here is the beast itself.
ZyUvceT.jpg

Im hyped as fuck to play cyberpunk with the rtx cranked all the way the fuck up. And to play portal rtx.
Congratulations 🎉🍾….Now you can play Stardew Valley the way it was meant to be experienced! Now grab your hoe and 🪓, you got farming to do!

SiahWester

I mean if I was rich I'd pull the trigger, but still, gotta think about how much power you're getting for your money. The 4000 series is not thousands of dollars more powerful than the 3000. Still, that PC will last for probably a decade or more as long as it doesn't melt.

Umbasaborne

Banned
One thing thats been fun as a first time pc gamer is replaying console games from a few years ago. I platinumed ffxv and batman arkham knight on the original ps4, but man playing them on pc with everything maxed is like a whole new experience.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean if I was rich I'd pull the trigger, but still, gotta think about how much power you're getting for your money. The 4000 series is not thousands of dollars more powerful than the 3000. Still, that PC will last for probably a decade or more as long as it doesn't melt.

That is true and some people do buy based on the performance/dollar ratios, but when people make a purchase like the OP did, it is because they want the best they can get. But that's one of the great things about PC gaming, you can buy based on your own particular wants/needs/budget.

Top Bottom