• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming pc!

GladiusFrog

freaks-one-of-us.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Im really excited to try out mario 64 with render96,
personally i'm waiting for when the overhaul the level geometry and textures, it's gonna look so much better then
the juxtaposition between the high poly models and the low poly level geometry is something i can't really get over

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hmm, will i be able to run current gen games on it?
Two m.2 will be a lot better than a hdd. You can also lower your ram from 64 to 32. You won’t get any use out of 64 gig unless you are into rendering super high res 3D renders and videos.

amigastar

Two m.2 will be a lot better than a hdd. You can also lower your ram from 64 to 32. You won’t get any use out of 64 gig unless you are into rendering super high res 3D renders and videos.
If you doing 3D stuff like Zbrush etc. 64 gigs is awesome, for gaming its an overkill currently.

The very first thing you should be looking at is a backup solution for your drives. I recommend at least a 2 bay NAS for everything and a cloud drive for your important files like saves

Hawk269

congrats! i have to work a year for that kind of money lol :D
but wait until they release the DLSS 3 patch for cyberpunk
Why? I have a pc with the same specs and I run Cyberpunk with all settings to max with the current DLSS on Quality and average between 75-90fps.

TrueLegend

Read PC gaming wiki before playing a game

Games to play: (4k120) or you can use your OLED to play at 21:9 and use integer scaling in Nvidia Control Panel

Guardians of Galaxy
Control (fix texture streaming bug with mod available in PC gaming wiki)
Final Fantasy XV ( read PC gaming wiki and disable controlflowguard)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 2
God of War

Umbasaborne

Banned
Read PC gaming wiki before playing a game

Games to play: (4k120) or you can use your OLED to play at 21:9 and use integer scaling in Nvidia Control Panel

Guardians of Galaxy
Control (fix texture streaming bug with mod available in PC gaming wiki)
Final Fantasy XV ( read PC gaming wiki and disable controlflowguard)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 2
God of War
Thanks! I was really underwhelmed with ffxv’s visual presentation on ps4 pro a few years ago, im curious to try it on pc

Now im just trying to figure out if i should cancel my ps5 pre order of hogwarts legacy or keep it for the exclusive missions.

Also i loved the new tomb raider trilogy, so im definitely due for a replay on this beast

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good stuff OP.

I'm not into the latest greatest in PC specs as I use a laptop, but at some point in the future when its time to change (every 5-6 years I do it so I'll get a new laptop in 2-3 years), this time I'm not to cheap out getting a lower end one for $1000 which is what I usually do. I'm not going to max it out, but it seems a decent gaming laptop is about $2500 CDN which gets you a 3050 gpu. In a few years it'll even be a better gpu.

Right now, my shitty laptop cant even run Gloomhaven PC which I want to try. lol

Fredrik

💥 Beast Mode unlocked

Congrats OP you’re gonna have some fun with that one! I built a similar one, but weaker CPU (7900x), and it’s hilariously overpowered for some games, like pushing 300+ fps at ultra settings lol
Don’t go in expecting no issues at all though, some new games can halt completely when loading in new shaders. But with that PC it should just be a quick stutter and once stuff are loaded in it won’t be much of an issue. Have fun! 👌

Last edited:
You chose wisely by not making any compromises when picking the parts. This way you immediately get a clear picture of what to expect from the platform at the highest end.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Congrats!
Don't listen to the people telling you it's a hassle to set up games and adjusting sliders. It's really not. I have never spent more than 2-3 minutes configuring a PC game, and i'm no expert by any means.

And don't get FOMO when the 5090 launches next year and everyone says how revolutionary it is.
You'll be very fine with your 4090 for a long time!

Reallink

Don't intend to rain on your parade or knock it, but in the interest of educating other posters/readers, you overpaid by nearly double what an even faster self built system would cost you. The GPU is $1600, 13900KS (a slightly upgraded cherry picked golden sample, marginally faster) is $600, 2TB SN850X $170, 32GB of 6000Mhz+ like $160-$200 (depending on speed and timings), $250 mobo, $150 1000W Corsair Gold, any case of your choice (<$180). Comes out to like 3G's. Lot of that is even over estimated, you could probably shave it down to like $2700 if you hunted sales or opted for slightly lower end secondary components (i.e. case, psu, mobo, ram, ssd). This machine is pure unadulterated price gouging. In this tier the stand alone components themselves are already profit monsters with 3-figure margins hiked into the stratosphere, this system basically just tacks another 100%+ margin on top of it for...reasons...

Last edited:

Soodanim

A great thing about PC is being able to load up older games and throw every setting on max/ultra and enjoy perfect image quality.

For old games that work well with it, look into super-sampling methods: rendering at a resolution above your display's and scaling it back down. The extra pixels help make everything even smoother, so you don't get any aliasing whatsoever.

My go to is Half-Life 2 because of how well it scales, and running at higher framerates is perfectly smooth. I don't know if your TV can do 120hz, but if it does then enjoy.

Top Bottom