• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming pc!

Don't intend to rain on your parade or knock it, but in the interest of educating other posters/readers, you overpaid by nearly double what an even faster self built system would cost you. The GPU is $1600, 13900KS (a slightly upgraded cherry picked golden sample, marginally faster) is $600, 2TB SN850X $170, 32GB of 6000Mhz+ like $160-$200 (depending on speed and timings), $250 mobo, $150 1000W Corsair Gold, any case of your choice (<$180). Comes out to like 3G's. Lot of that is even over estimated, you could probably shave it down to like $2700 if you hunted sales or opted for slightly lower end secondary components (i.e. case, psu, mobo, ram, ssd). This machine is pure unadulterated price gouging. In this tier the stand alone components themselves are already profit monsters with 3-figure margins hiked into the stratosphere, this system basically just tacks another 100%+ margin on top of it for...reasons...
I agree with the caveat that you can’t actually buy a 4090 at MSRP but more like $2000. This PC is still an upcharge of $1000+ though. High end PC gaming is expensive but it’s not quite this bad for those who build themselves.

Last edited:

M1987

GTA ultra setting graphics mods, do it!

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Where would I find this mod? it's probably not going to play well on my 3070,but I would still like to try it

Umbasaborne

Banned
Holy fuck, you got yourself a nice rig OP. Have fun!
Thanks! Im spending an arm and a leg for it, but ive wanted to do this for years. Im so excited to actually be able to experience games at their full potential. This generation was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have a ps5 and series x, and even then i noticed just how compromised those console games are compared to their high end pc counter parts. I dont want to have to choose between 60 fps and ray tracing

Last edited:

amigastar

Thanks! Im spending an arm and a leg for it, but ive wanted to do this for years. Im so excited to actually be able to experience games at their full potential. This generation was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have a ps5 and series x, and even their i noticdd just how compromised those console games are compared to their high end pc counter parts. I dont want to have to choose between 60 fps and ray tracing
Then this PC will serve you well, congrats.

Mr.ODST

Since this is actually your first gaming PC, here's some important things to NOT miss:
  • Old PC games! There is decades of must have games that you've never played on consoles, or that were always best on PC anyway. Use GoG and Steam sales, and Humble Bundle, Game Pass, and whatever other methods to get access to them.
  • Legal Emulation. This is actually quite worth doing!
  • Experimental Ray Tracing games like Quake RTX, Quake II RTX, Minecraft RTX, Serious Sam RTX, Portal RTX, etc.
  • Legally decompiled console games that run natively on Windows now, like Super Mario 64 (with Render96 and RTX features!), Ocarina of Time (Ship of Harkinian). Check out dariosamo on Twitter and watch what he gets up to.
  • Game Pass. Yeah, do Game Pass. The amount of games you get access to for the relatively low price is kind of staggering. Not much to lose for at least trying it out for a while.
  • DLSS Swapper app in the windows store. Get it, use it, experiment with it, love it!
There's probably a lot more to know, but this will keep you busy a while.
Wait you can get native SM64, OOT? News to me

sachos

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
These always end up looking so over contrasted, over sharpened and over saturated. Way too tacky.

Back to OP, damn bro! Congrats!! Remember DLSS is your friend and while you max out the RT settings you can dial back some classic raster settings from Ultra to High or Medium and claw back a lot of performance.

DeaDPo0L84

That was the big appeal for me honestly, just so sick of it on consoles at this point. Hearing that games on ps5 like returnal or deathloop need to be 1080p to run at 60 fps…its like, what year is it?
Ditto, when I built my first gaming PC I all but quit playing on consoles, wife uses the PS5 sometimes. It's always been funny that "next gen" consoles consistently use tech 2-3 years old.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ditto, when I built my first gaming PC I all but quit playing on consoles, wife uses the PS5 sometimes. It's always been funny that "next gen" consoles consistently use tech 2-3 years old.
I would outright trade my ps5 in if the first party releases were day and date. I would trade my series x in, but i own a shit ton of xbox 360 titles for it that just arent on pc, like the banjo games, or forza horizon 1

Last edited:

Reallink

I agree with the caveat that you can’t actually buy a 4090 at MSRP but more like $2000. This PC is still an upcharge of $1000+ though. High end PC gaming is expensive but it’s not quite this bad for those who build themselves.

You could have saved 1000 USD in building that yourself. Could have bought a decent dedicated monitor or something with that money.

It's WAY more than a $1000 premium, a basic 4090/13900K system is absolutely NOT $4000, and certainly not $5000. This has 5200MHz RAM (with 64GB being pure waste for gaming, that money would be much better spent on faster 32GB, which would see pretty notable frame lifts in frequency hungry titles), a KF CPU (note this is not the 6Ghz model, its the model that cuts out the iGPU to save money), and almost assuredly a terrible PSU, Mobo, and case. Admittedly finding a 4090 FE may be a stretch, but last week the $1700 Gigabyte was readily available for anyone actively looking as Newegg had stock for a few hours. This system represents AT LEAST a $2000 upcharge. Up to $2500 if you camped sales and actually tried to bang for buck all the secondary components (which this system's already using itself).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
May i ask what is the name of this mod ? Is it free ? Because I know some aren't.

Is there a better real ultra realistic or photographic mod for the game ?

I got this game when it was free on epic. But never played a GTA5 game before

Danknugz

Believe me if you’re this passionate you would have been fine, nobody gonna do it better than yourself. Believe. Regardless glad you’re happy it’s a beast of a machine youll have a blast.
didn't wanna be that guy but yeah, i love seeing people jump on PC and it's an incredibly powerful platform. understand being nervous about building your own but probably could have saved maybe a grand or more.

1700 - 4090
650 - 13900kf
250 - psu
300 - ram
200 - ssd
150 - case
250 - mobo
225 - cooling and fans
50 - kb / m

total 3875

edit: forgot mobo

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Wait you can get native SM64, OOT? News to me
Sure can! Mario 64 was decompiled earlier so it has the most mature value adds such as ray tracing and the Render96 models and textures. Ocarina of Time was done by Ship of Harkinian team and the current build has tonnes of customization built in like framerates up to at least 240hz, a cheats menu, and a lot of graphics customizations, just no custom textures or ray tracing yet (as of a few months ago at least).

Digital Foundry did a great video on the Mario 64 ray tracing stuff, worth a YT search.

Umbasaborne

Banned
didn't wanna be that guy but yeah, i love seeing people jump on PC and it's an incredibly powerful platform. understand being nervous about building your own but probably could have saved maybe a grand or more.

1700 - 4090
650 - 13900kf
250 - psu
300 - ram
200 - ssd
150 - case
225 - cooling and fans
50 - kb / m

total 3625
I totally get that, in this case it was just that i could afford the monthly payments on this, and i just dont know what im doing. So thats why i was willing to pay the premium. Going forward any upgrades will be manually done by me, but for my first experience i didnt want to take any risks

Orta

Banned
May i ask what is the name of this mod ? Is it free ? Because I know some aren't.

Is there a better real ultra realistic or photographic mod for the game ?

I got this game when it was free on epic. But never played a GTA5 game before

oji-san

Banned
Nice! enjoy it mate :) I also was always on consoles and 3-4 years ago bought a mid range PC, at least i think it considered mid range, with RX 590, R5 3600.. had a great 1.5 years playing games at 1080p 60fps that wasn't possible on consoles back then like with games like AC Odyssey, The Outer Worlds, SW Jedi Fallen Order and more. Eventually i returned to consoles as i like them more but no doubt that PC can be very nice, like just think of playing A Plague Tale: Requiem at 4K 60fps should be amazing. Have fun!

Reallink

1700 - 4090
650 - 13900kf
250 - psu
300 - ram
200 - ssd
150 - case
250 - mobo
225 - cooling and fans
50 - kb / m

total 3875

13900KF is like $530, a $60 AK620 (or any sub-$100 AIO) is more than sufficient for 13900k cooling (quadrupely so for gaming which is nowhere near a cinebench stress test), spending big on 64GB of slow RAM is actually a detriment to gaming (this system will be completely obsolete several times over before games start requiring >32GB of RAM), and there's no reality where this is rocking anywhere close to a $250 PSU. Even a Corair RM1000 is only like $160 (which is itself completely unnecessary Vs. quality 850W models, like the RM850 which goes on sales for around $80).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I totally get that, in this case it was just that i could afford the monthly payments on this, and i just dont know what im doing. So thats why i was willing to pay the premium. Going forward any upgrades will be manually done by me, but for my first experience i didnt want to take any risks

Personally, I think it is best to start with a prebuilt. That way you have something to build on to and as you upgrade you will become more comfortable with tinkering. Throw a pile of PC parts at someone who has never built one before can be overwhelming and nerve wracking considering the investment.

Petopia

Banned
Personally, I think it is best to start with a prebuilt. That way you have something to build on to and as you upgrade you will become more comfortable with tinkering. Throw a pile of PC parts at someone who has never built one before can be overwhelming and nerve wracking considering the investment.
If Henry Cavill can build a PC then anyone can build a PC.

Petopia

Banned
Anyone with a screwdriver "can" build a PC, yes. If they are uncomfortable with it then there is nothing wrong with buying a prebuilt.
everything wrong with a prebuilt unless its by manufacterers that are trusted like corsair nzxt and other reputable brands. Its like console gaming for pc.

Topher

Gold Member
everything wrong with a prebuilt unless its by manufacterers that are trusted like corsair nzxt and other reputable brands. Its like console gaming for pc.

I agree people should research the brand of the product they are buying just like any other product. Here Umbasaborne Umbasaborne is buying MSI which is reputable PC maker and supports their products. He's good.

Buggy Loop

Wow, you went balls deep on first go

Welcome to cdkeys/greenmangaming/g2a launch day discounts, free online, so many mods for every tastes
Claire nude patch let's go!
, king of racing/flight simulators, i suggest picking a VR headset for Half Life Alyx.

Whatever you buy it'll always be backward compatible, it'll generally upgrade throughout the years due to higher resolution capabilities, framerates, or even community mods that revamp the game drastically.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

amigastar

Wow, you went balls deep on first go

Welcome to cdkeys/greenmangaming/g2a launch day discounts, free online, so many mods for every tastes
Claire nude patch let's go!
, king of racing/flight simulators, i suggest picking a VR headset for Half Life Alyx.

Whatever you buy it'll always be backward compatible, it'll generally upgrade throughout the years due to higher resolution capabilities, framerates, or even community mods that revamp the game drastically.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals
Yes, being able to play flight sims/racing sims is one of the biggest advantages in PC gaming, i recommend DCS World and Falcon BMS.

Thebonehead

Banned
How's your M+K Umbasaborne Umbasaborne ?

If a little rusty, I'd recommend something to ease yourself back in like Cyberpunk.

After about 15 hours or so you should be back in the swing of things with it coming naturally .

Want some lookers to play?

Gamepass
Flight Simulator (on your quest)
Warhammer Darktide
Plague Tale Requiem
Forza 5
Minecraft ( And enable path tracing )

Keep an eye on Humble Bundle for cheap bundles. They normally do VR ones as well redeemable on Steam

Petopia

Banned
I agree people should research the brand of the product they are buying just like any other product. Here Umbasaborne Umbasaborne is buying MSI which is reputable PC maker and supports their products. He's good.
Then again it's better to build your own whether it be for maximum cooling or wire management it's just better to build one your self cause you know what parts you have as opposed to crap that you have no control over.

Chastten

Banned
Haha, I love people recommending old and cheap ways of gaming when someone just put himself in debt to play the latest and greatest videogames.

No one spending 5k on a gaming system should care about old ports or EGS freebies.

Mister Wolf

That was the big appeal for me honestly, just so sick of it on consoles at this point. Hearing that games on ps5 like returnal or deathloop need to be 1080p to run at 60 fps…its like, what year is it?

We'll get a definitive GPU comparison to the PS5 with the DF PC port breakdown of Returnal. I've been looking forward to that.

Topher

Gold Member
Then again it's better to build your own whether it be for maximum cooling or wire management it's just better to build one your self cause you know what parts you have as opposed to crap that you have no control over.

If someone wants to have control over every aspect of how the PC is built then it goes without saying they should build their own.

twilo99

1700 - 4090
650 - 13900kf
250 - psu
300 - ram
200 - ssd
150 - case
250 - mobo
225 - cooling and fans
50 - kb / m

total 3875

Yes, but not everyone wants to deal with all that obviously.

Building a PC is special tho, at least I think it is, but I've been bulding my own since middle school so I might be biased.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Half of 5000 dollars is 2500 dollars.

Which is 1000 dollars more than what the 4090 costs. And also what other parts would cost once you add them up.

So, yeah he was right.
You can’t (to my knowledge) get an MSI branded 4090 for 1500.

As it’s an MSI branded system, I don’t think it’s going to have a third party card inside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom