• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought my first gaming pc!

Zug

It's not an ad or anything, but I like to regulary check https://gg.deals/ for PC games, also a way to get some freebies that I'll never install.
For thermals monitoring and fan control, I haven't found better than Argus monitor (https://www.argusmonitor.com/) cheap paid licence and 30 days trial.

I'm also using my main PC plugged to a 65" LG TV, be sure to grab something like a Microsoft AIO keyboard (better than the Logitech k400 imo, I've had both), and also a rigid mousepad+mouse so you can play mouse friendly games from the couch.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Im hoping these gpu lasts me a while. Hopefully in 4-5 years it can still play at somewhat high settings
It will without a doubt.

My geforce 2070s can easily run ultra high games.

Sadly its defect, but I can still pull good performance from it.

Petopia

Banned
If someone wants to have control over every aspect of how the PC is built then it goes without saying they should build their own.
no shit but congradulating people for prebuilts shouldnt be encouraged then we should all just get prebuilts on ali express with one stick of ram and ancient no air flow cases.

Topher

Gold Member
no shit but congradulating people for prebuilts shouldnt be encouraged then we should all just get prebuilts on ali express with one stick of ram and ancient no air flow cases.

Folks can congratulate him all they want. That doesn't mean anyone has to buy anything from ali express. Your posts are getting absurd.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned
Folks can congratulate him all they want. That doesn't mean anyone has to buy anything from ali express. Your posts are getting absurd.
Sure despite he could've gotten parts for less but that's his loss absurd as they may prebuilt are for those who don't want do the hands on stuff that makes putting a PC together fun but I guess that's just me and I'm in the minority.

Topher

Gold Member
All the fucking negative posters should
TWwWyJH.gif

Early nomination for post of the year. Jesus.

Fredrik

Don't intend to rain on your parade or knock it, but in the interest of educating other posters/readers, you overpaid by nearly double what an even faster self built system would cost you. The GPU is $1600, 13900KS (a slightly upgraded cherry picked golden sample, marginally faster) is $600, 2TB SN850X $170, 32GB of 6000Mhz+ like $160-$200 (depending on speed and timings), $250 mobo, $150 1000W Corsair Gold, any case of your choice (<$180). Comes out to like 3G's. Lot of that is even over estimated, you could probably shave it down to like $2700 if you hunted sales or opted for slightly lower end secondary components (i.e. case, psu, mobo, ram, ssd). This machine is pure unadulterated price gouging. In this tier the stand alone components themselves are already profit monsters with 3-figure margins hiked into the stratosphere, this system basically just tacks another 100%+ margin on top of it for...reasons...
In Europe the graphics card alone is basically your totals 🤕

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I wish there was some actual content to play on my PC but I've been defaulting to consoles since that's where the games I want to play are.

Been holding off getting an upgrade because of that, maybe when Starfield isn't shit.

Petopia

Banned
Goes back to not everyone wants to build a PC. They are going to pay more to have someone else build it for them. If they are fine with that then that is up to them. Not you.
Yeah hakuna matata that being said that's console people logic and I am arguing that.

GreatnessRD

Guess we should all get pre builts then.
Just because their first gaming PC is a pre-built doesn't mean going forward all of them will be. Regardless if it is or not, that's up to them and how they wanna spend their monies. Do I buy pre-builts? No, but that doesn't mean I gotta be a hater of those who do. Some like coke. Some like Pepsi. It's about choices my guy.

Thebonehead

Banned
Friend of mine snapped the pci-e connector installing his 3090ti.

He's built plenty of systems over the years and reckons it was a manufacturing fault on his. Struggled to get the payour but got there in the end.

Did give me pause for thought installing the 4090 and have me wondering about placing a support in there for it, so I can empathise with people with no experience building a PC going pre-built

Last edited:

Fredrik

He's built plenty of systems over the years and reckons it was a manufacturing fault on his. Struggled to get the payour but got there in the end.

Did give me pause for thought installing the 4090 and have me wondering about placing a support in there for it, so I can empathise with people with no experience building a PC going pre-built
Yeah I mean I see it as building another room in your house or something like that. Some do it themselves and the result is awesome. Some try to build it themselves and mess up on something or it mess up a relationship because it takes too long or whatever. And some hire a firm to do it and pay extra to not have to worry about any of that.

My first proper gaming PC was prebuilt but custom built by a serious custom PC shop. About $3k total if I add the screen and this was when 780ti was new. Worth every penny imo.

I built the last one myself, it’s nice to know I can do it but it was a lot of work and I overpayed on several parts because of inexperience.
Not sure what I’ll do next time.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For all the people mad that i bought a pre built and didnt build my own. Cut me some slack, i know literally nothing about this, this is my first experience with a pc. As i toy around with this ill feel more comfortable opening it up to upgrade myself in the future
For my current PC I chose the parts one by one on my own but, since back then I was disabled due to a broken leg, I chose to pay extra 50€ for the store clerks to assemble it for me.

It's a cool service since they guarantee that everything is compatible and working as it should. Maybe next time you get a new PC you could cehck out if that option exists on your store of choice.

calistan

I'd be more worried about the graphics card getting damaged while being shipped fully assembled. That's a chunky weight just hanging out of one of the PCI slots with no support except a couple of screws at the back. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but I hope the delivery men are more gentle than our local drop-and-run Amazon drivers.

Thebonehead

Banned
I'd be more worried about the graphics card getting damaged while being shipped fully assembled. That's a chunky weight just hanging out of one of the PCI slots with no support except a couple of screws at the back. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but I hope the delivery men are more gentle than our local drop-and-run Amazon drivers.

Live from TSMC

employee of the month ups GIF

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
For my current PC I chose the parts one by one on my own but, since back then I was disabled due to a broken leg, I chose to pay extra 50€ for the store clerks to assemble it for me.

It's a cool service since they guarantee that everything is compatible and working as it should. Maybe next time you get a new PC you could cehck out if that option exists on your store of choice.
Definitely, it would be cool to see some of the process in person. My friend is actually assembling parts to build his first pc as well, i was planning on shadowing him during it, maybe its not as nerve wracking as im hyping it up to be

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Definitely, it would be cool to see some of the process in person. My friend is actually assembling parts to build his first pc as well, i was planning on shadowing him during it, maybe its not as nerve wracking as im hyping it up to be
Sounds like a plan! I've built computers next to a friend and it can even be fun.

It's also quite easy once you know what you are doing. I hate inserting the RAM though, always feel like I'm about to snap the mother board in half. :goog_relieved:

There are also stuff like this:

calistan

First one I built, I was expecting it to be a pretty technical process. I knew a guy at work who built them for people, and he made it sound like it was sorcery (he was charging for the service).

But... it's incredibly easy. Take one motherboard, add CPU, RAM, case, cooler, GPU, power supply - in that order. Put this bit in here, that bit in there, plug some connecters into the only holes they'll fit in, and it's done. The only mildly tricky part might be getting the cables to look neat and tidy.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Anyone who thinks he "could have saved over $1000 if he built it himself," clearly doesn't know the cost for this build. Maybe $300-400, but also having to purchase it across multiple stores, thus having all the individual warranties be across multiple stores.

Hell, the GPU and CPU alone would be right at $3000.
Some users here are just sad….fucking sheep who can only says the same thing over and over not all prebuilt are bad and a ripoff

Petopia

Banned
Just because their first gaming PC is a pre-built doesn't mean going forward all of them will be. Regardless if it is or not, that's up to them and how they wanna spend their monies. Do I buy pre-builts? No, but that doesn't mean I gotta be a hater of those who do. Some like coke. Some like Pepsi. It's about choices my guy.
It's called convenience people don't wanna bother troubleshooting windows what have as well is routing wires while people like me love that shit when it comes to building a PC but like I said that's just me I'm just waiting til the thing for kaput and what's gonna happen from there cause it's 2023 and information is at your fingertips for everything.

Petopia

Banned
If "hakuna matata" means I don't worry about how others spend their money then absolutely right.
Nah it means don't worry about the building of pcs then I again I'm wrong since 5k is the best way to spend your money from your perspective.

Petopia

Banned
Whatever you said there is actual gibberish. The only point you're making in this thread is to make sure everyone knows you're retarded.
If dude was actually paying for 5k he woulda went the whole 9 yards with water cooling a better case and make that shit bling with custom argb but like you said I'm the one who's retarded.

Top Bottom